PDA

View Full Version : The Return of Frankenbacker

vince
11-10-2010, 06:36 AM
After getting a medical check a couple weeks ago, Spencer Havner has now worked out for the Packers and Bill Huber reports that his signing is imminent, probably just before practice resumes next week.

http://gnb.scout.com/2/1020347.html

Havner Works Out; Signing Likely

The Packers worked out former tight end Spencer Havner, who had five touchdown receptions and 20 tackles on special teams last year.

The Green Bay Packers brought in only one player for a workout, and he’s a player who’s near and dear to many fans.

Do-it-all Spencer Havner worked out in front of team officials on Tuesday, FoxSports.com’s Adam Caplan told Packer Report. Havner, who was released by Detroit last month because of an injured hamstring, took a physical for the Packers last week. The continued interest signals that the Packers very likely will re-sign Havner, perhaps as soon as Monday, when the team gathers for its first practice following the bye.

Havner would bolster the Packers on a couple of fronts. On offense, the Packers aren’t getting much punch from their tight ends after Jermichael Finley was lost for the season. The remaining three tight ends, rookie Andrew Quarless (seven catches), veteran Donald Lee (seven catches) and first-year Tom Crabtree (three catches) have combined for fewer catches in nine games (17) than Finley had in four (21). Havner caught seven passes last year, four of which went for touchdowns, and he added two catches and a touchdown in the playoffs.

Plus, Havner would further add to an improving special teams, which have benefitted from the addition of linebackers Erik Walden, Diyral Briggs and Matt Wilhelm. Havner ranked third on the team last year with 20 special teams tackles.

To add Havner, the Packers would have to release a player. With the addition of running back James Starks, the Packers have six players in the backfield. Another possibility is the offensive line, where rookies Marshall Newhouse and Nick McDonald have been inactive in all nine games.

Joemailman
11-10-2010, 06:51 AM
I say "So long Quinn Johnson". With the addition of Starks, and Nance starting to get some plays, Kuhn can revert to more of a fullback role.

SkinBasket
11-10-2010, 07:58 AM
QJ's been a more aggressive blocker than our pale FB tandem. Keep him and dump Nance or one of those other retards that barely plays and suck when they do, like Bigby.

pbmax
11-10-2010, 08:17 AM
I love it when a plan comes together.

ND72
11-10-2010, 08:21 AM
All he does is catch Touchdowns...

Little Whiskey
11-10-2010, 08:45 AM
I love it when a plan comes together.

now if they re-sign Harris since he cleared waivers.

Joemailman
11-10-2010, 08:46 AM
If Franky getting here by motorcycle?

Tony Oday
11-10-2010, 09:32 AM
straight cash homie! Get the Havner jerseys out ;)

Brandon494
11-10-2010, 09:57 AM
I say "So long Quinn Johnson". With the addition of Starks, and Nance starting to get some plays, Kuhn can revert to more of a fullback role.

I dont really think 4 carries for 5 yards at the end of a blowout means Nance is starting to get plays. With Sparks being activated we should cut Nance over QJ IMO. QJ offers more on special teams and our best blocking FB. Nance is just a guy.

Joemailman
11-10-2010, 10:03 AM
I'm okay with cutting Nance as long as Starks is ready to play. Is he? They need someone to be able to step in if Jackson were to be injured. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't want Kuhn in there as the #1 RB. :D I wouldn't either.

mission
11-10-2010, 10:04 AM

I dont really think 4 carries for 5 yards at the end of a blowout means Nance is starting to get plays. With Sparks being activated we should cut Nance over QJ IMO. QJ offers more on special teams and our best blocking FB. Nance is just a guy.

This is my thinking exactly. Nance hasn't shown anything regardless of opportunities.

CaliforniaCheez
11-10-2010, 10:42 AM
straight cash homie! Get the Havner jerseys out ;)

Many of you should have already made your Havner Jerseys as shown in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2PBbNXXlKE

CaptainKickass
11-10-2010, 02:08 PM
FRANKENBACKER!!

Patler
11-12-2010, 04:25 PM
Havner signed.

Tauscher to IR.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/11/12/packers-put-mark-tauscher-on-injured-reserve/

KYPack
11-12-2010, 04:30 PM
Havner signed.

Tauscher to IR.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/11/12/packers-put-mark-tauscher-on-injured-reserve/

Like watching your mother-in-law driving over a cliff in your new BMW.

Mixed emotions.

I always liked Spence, but man, I loved big Mark.

Time to get out the tape and make that Havner jersey!

hoosier
11-12-2010, 07:23 PM
Havner signed.

Tauscher to IR.

Like watching your mother-in-law driving over a cliff in your new BMW.

Mixed emotions.
I always liked Spence, but man, I loved big Mark.

Time to get out the tape and make that Havner jersey!

:lol: :lol: