PDA

View Full Version : Claymaker Player of the Week

vince
11-10-2010, 01:59 PM
For the third time this year, Clay Matthews has been named NFC Defenisve Player of the Week. He was also honored as the September NFC Defensive Player of the Month.

edit: He has only won the award twice so far this year. I swore he won it the first two weeks, but upon further review, he got screwed from winning the award week 1, even though he clearly deserved it. :wink:

Joemailman
11-10-2010, 02:01 PM
Who does he thing he is? Charles Woodson?

Tony Oday
11-10-2010, 02:09 PM
When was the last time that there was a DMVP in consecutive years on the same team different players? Lets face it if CMIII can keep this up over the next 7 games he is on pace for 18 1/2 sacks...and he is a game changer.

BallHawk
11-10-2010, 02:14 PM
When was the last time that there was a DMVP in consecutive years on the same team different players?

2003 and 2004 when Ray Lewis and then Ed Reed did it for the Ravens. The Bills did it in the mid 90s and the Steelers went back to back to back with Greene, Blount, and Lambert in the 70s.

vince
11-10-2010, 02:15 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Football_League_Defensive_Player_of_the_Y ear_Award

Ray Lewis and Ed Reed won the award in '03 & '04.

I'd say Matthews is the frontrunner at this point. Hopefully the hammy doesn't tweak on him again....

CaptainKickass
11-10-2010, 02:15 PM
The Captain strongly approves!

(I blame James Jones for the 3rd person rhetoric)

Tony Oday
11-10-2010, 03:23 PM
The Captain strongly approves!

(I blame James Jones for the 3rd person rhetoric)

Report behind the woodshed to be flogged.

sheepshead
11-10-2010, 03:40 PM

No... Lawrence Taylor :wink:

packerbacker1234
11-10-2010, 05:03 PM
Definitely a big year. If only Woodson was having his last year numbers with this years clay... it would be insane.

Little Whiskey
11-10-2010, 05:48 PM

No... Lawrence Taylor :wink:

.....without the crack and hooker problem!

Noodle
11-10-2010, 06:25 PM

Rather than a "problem," I'd call that the makings of a good time . . .

Little Whiskey
11-10-2010, 06:32 PM

to each his own.

steve823
11-10-2010, 06:33 PM
Definitely a big year. If only Woodson was having his last year numbers with this years clay... it would be insane.

Or.. Imagine if we had another OLB that was even half as good as Clay. That would really make our defense top notch.

gbgary
11-10-2010, 06:42 PM
awesome player. very lucky to have him. hope he has a long, healthy career with the Pack.

Joemailman
11-10-2010, 06:47 PM

Or.. Imagine if we had another OLB that was even half as good as Clay. That would really make our defense top notch.

Actually Woodson is starting to look more like the 2009 Woodson. He had a tough start with the penalties, but seems to have made some adjustments. The Packers D in the 2nd half of the season has a chance to be dominant.

ThunderDan
11-10-2010, 07:02 PM

As I said in another thread, we have only had 2 drafts as a 3-4 team. That we have gotten our NG and our pass rushing OLB, which are two HUGE piece to the 3-4, has helped. Give it another 2 or 3 drafts and I believe you will see another uptick on the talent level on the field for the D.

Noodle
11-10-2010, 07:04 PM
Woodson is picking it up, and I suspect Clay's play is serving as an incentive for all the guys on D to get their game on.

With the healing that will take place during the bye week, I'm thinking the D could really be a force for the rest of the season. Kudos to TT for stocking the larder, kudos to Capers for being creative with schemes, and kudos to the players for refusing to let injuries be an excuse.

And Little Whiskey, I was just playin' with you and agree with your point.

sheepshead
11-10-2010, 07:09 PM
Woodson is picking it up, and I suspect Clay's play is serving as an incentive for all the guys on D to get their game on.

With the healing that will take place during the bye week, I'm thinking the D could really be a force for the rest of the season. Kudos to TT for stocking the larder, kudos to Capers for being creative with schemes, and kudos to the players for refusing to let injuries be an excuse.

:five:

Little Whiskey
11-10-2010, 07:10 PM

8-) i'm not a cop

ND72
11-10-2010, 07:30 PM
Love it! Clay is just a beast...love watching him!

Kiwon
11-10-2010, 08:34 PM
Love it! Clay is just a beast...love watching him!

Yeah, he's fun to watch. Coming from a solid family as well seems to help keep his ego in check.

Barring serious injury we should get to watch him improve even more and dominate for years to come.

steve823
11-11-2010, 12:45 AM

As I said in another thread, we have only had 2 drafts as a 3-4 team. That we have gotten our NG and our pass rushing OLB, which are two HUGE piece to the 3-4, has helped. Give it another 2 or 3 drafts and I believe you will see another uptick on the talent level on the field for the D.

Yup, this defense has the ability to be scary good. Having another good OLB can make our defense comparable to Pittsburgh's or possibly better. Asides from that our D doesn't have any holes. I mean we can use more CB depth and D-line depth but that;s really it. (this assuming of course that Peprah/Burnett is the answer at SS)

vince
11-11-2010, 02:47 AM
Speaking of fun to watch, here's Matthews mic'd up vs. Dallas.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-films-sound-efx/09000d5d81c05b38/Sound-FX-Clay-being-Clay

Iron Mike
11-11-2010, 05:24 AM

http://mikeresponts.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/irvinmug1.jpg

Hey, can I tell you who I am??

ThunderDan
11-11-2010, 08:10 AM

http://mikeresponts.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/irvinmug1.jpg

Hey, can I tell you who I am??

At least he is smiling in his mugshot.

ThunderDan
11-11-2010, 08:14 AM

Yup, this defense has the ability to be scary good. Having another good OLB can make our defense comparable to Pittsburgh's or possibly better. Asides from that our D doesn't have any holes. I mean we can use more CB depth and D-line depth but that;s really it. (this assuming of course that Peprah/Burnett is the answer at SS)

On NFL radio they were talking about Raji and Jenkins' play in passrushing situations. They said in the Dallas game it took 4 OL to block the 2 Packer DL. If/when we get another dominant passrushing OLB teams are going to have to keep 7 or 8 in to protect. That will leave 2 or 3 WR against 7 defenders.

mraynrand
11-11-2010, 08:22 AM

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-films-sound-efx/09000d5d81c05b38/Sound-FX-Clay-being-Clay

Listened to him in post game interview too. Dude sounds like Reggie White. It's a bit uncanny.

Cheesehead Craig
11-11-2010, 08:22 AM

"Gotta keep the hair looking greasy" Awesome.

Guiness
11-11-2010, 10:54 AM

Thanks vince, didn't realize they'd miked him.

Watch the play just after :38, and watch his hands. He knocks them aside, and it does indeed look like the MMA training at work.

He's definitely a personality. Love him riding Zombo about the zit, and calling Rodger 'Hollywood'!

denverYooper
11-11-2010, 02:31 PM

Thanks vince, didn't realize they'd miked him.

Watch the play just after :38, and watch his hands. He knocks them aside, and it does indeed look like the MMA training at work.

He's definitely a personality. Love him riding Zombo about the zit, and calling Rodger 'Hollywood'!

Yeah, those hands were incredibly quick on that play!