PDA

View Full Version : Capers

Patler
11-11-2010, 07:01 AM
How long will he stay in GB?

With the success he has had this year working with and motivating new groups of players almost every week, he could be a prime candidate for one of the head coach openings in the off season. Do his desires still run that direction, or has he had enough of that and will be content in a spot like GB, where he has total control of the defense, with little interference or input from the HC?

Little Whiskey
11-11-2010, 07:07 AM
I was thinking about this the other day. wasn't he a coach twice before? they guy is doing a great job with this defense and i'd hate to lose him.

Scott Campbell
11-11-2010, 07:13 AM
How long will he stay in GB?

With the success he has had this year working with and motivating new groups of players almost every week, he could be a prime candidate for one of the head coach openings in the off season. Do his desires still run that direction, or has he had enough of that and will be content in a spot like GB, where he has total control of the defense, with little interference or input from the HC?

I'm not sure he'll get another opportunity. But if he does, I'd wish him well. He's been worth every penny that they're paying him.

It would be a real bummer if he gutted the staff by taking the top assistants with him.

vince
11-11-2010, 07:42 AM
Should Capers be nabbed, there are at least a couple coaches on the current staff who could step in and have success, particularly with the talent on the roster on that side of the ball.

I think Darren Perry will make a great D-Coordinator very soon. He's been a Capers/Lebeau disciple pretty much his whole career, other than the year or two he spent in Oakland under Rob Ryan I believe - another hot coaching prospect.

packerbacker1234
11-11-2010, 07:46 AM
It would suck to lose him, but he deserves what he gets. GB Is a unique situation, since the HC exclusively deals with the offense, and capers deals with the defense. How good Capers is has a lot to do with our defenseive success. While I agree our defense clearly has a lot of talent, you also have to wondering if Caper's genious in putting guys in the right spots is making players appear better than they are. Zombo, as an example, has looked passable out there but I think in most defenses int he NFL he doesn't make the grade.

Capers is great at masking the flaws of the personel, so one has to wonder if such flaws would become more apparent without him.

mraynrand
11-11-2010, 07:56 AM
My guess is that at 60 years, Ernest has seen all the head coaching he can stand. Is Dick Lebeau going to leave Pittsburgh to head coach anywhere soon? I hope the Peter Principle doesn't take Dom away from the Packers.

hoosier
11-11-2010, 08:06 AM
My guess is that at 60 years, Ernest has seen all the head coaching he can stand. Is Dick Lebeau going to leave Pittsburgh to head coach anywhere soon? I hope the Peter Principle doesn't take Dom away from the Packers.

Exactly right. Capers has already had two shots at HC and doesn't seem to have left the impression of someone who is poised for future success at that level. He did wonders with Carolina in 1996 but that was his last good year. Hopefully he sees himself as another Fritz Schurmer, a guy who knows what his job is and does it as well as anyone.

Patler
11-11-2010, 08:06 AM

That's kind of what I am thinking. Maybe he will be content spending the last 5-10 years of his coaching career at a place where he has total control of the defense. He was a head coach for about 8 years already, without a lot of success. I suppose there could be a drive to show that he can be successful as a HC, and the problems he had before were more the franchise than him (two expansion franchises).

pittstang5
11-11-2010, 08:08 AM
Yikes Patler, I was thinking that too.

I think some coaches are great Coordinators, position coaches or asst. coaches, but when they get to the head position, just can't get it right - see Cam Cameron, Romeo Crennel, Marty Morniweg and Rod Marinelli just to name a couple off the top of my head. They should just stick to what they are good at. I'm thinking Capers might fall into this category. He's had a run at being a head coach at least once that I recall, maybe twice - I just don't remember - and didn't fair so well. However, as a coordinator, he's been, imo, remarkable. I hope he stays for a while, but if he moves on, I'll wish him good luck.

RashanGary
11-11-2010, 08:21 AM

That's kind of what I am thinking. Maybe he will be content spending the last 5-10 years of his coaching career at a place where he has total control of the defense. He was a head coach for about 8 years already, without a lot of success. I suppose there could be a drive to show that he can be successful as a HC, and the problems he had before were more the franchise than him (two expansion franchises).

When he was hired here I remember him saying he wouldn't close the door on the right head coaching opportunity.

Pugger
11-11-2010, 09:03 AM
I'd hate to lose him too! :shock: I'm hoping other teams will set their sites on younger guys for future HCing jobs.

pittstang5
11-11-2010, 09:07 AM
I'm hoping other teams will set their sites on younger guys for future HCing jobs.

That seems to be the trend lately.

Brandon494
11-11-2010, 09:37 AM
His last coaching job he when 1-15 for the season. I think teams will look at younger guys who have not yet had a head coaching job to see what they can do. For example I think Viking DC Fraiser is pretty much a lock for a head coaching spot next season.

Cheesehead Craig
11-11-2010, 09:53 AM
His last coaching job he when 1-15 for the season. I think teams will look at younger guys who have not yet had a head coaching job to see what they can do. For example I think Viking DC Fraiser is pretty much a lock for a head coaching spot next season.
Agree. Frasier is more than due.

3irty1
11-11-2010, 10:12 AM
It would suck if he left but it would surprise me if he left. He might have his dream job right now.

He has no owner to bug him. He works with a head coach that seems to delegate all defensive decisions. The Packers under McCarthy are a breeding ground for schematic creativity... very much Capers's cup of tea. It might also be tough for Capers to walk away from the young players he's been dealt by Ted Thompson. How could his situation be better? More money? Power as a GM? I think he'll be here for a long time.

ND72
11-11-2010, 11:42 AM
IF I'm a DC, and I have a 2nd year OLB in a 3-4 like Clay Matthews, and a 2nd year DT in BJ Raji, I might just stay where I am...but that's just me. Because in the NFL, those guys don't just show up every year, especially in what would probably be a building team he'd have to take over.

gbgary
11-11-2010, 11:43 AM
hopefully he'll still be around when mm gets his head lopped off. :lol:

Fritz
11-11-2010, 11:50 AM
Funny you should ask, Patler. I was just talking with Dom last night, and he said he'd only be interested in a head coaching spot if it were the perfect situation.

He's pretty happy here in GB, but if he had an offer from an organization with stable, non-meddling ownership, a GM in whom Capers has confidence (he does want some say in drafting, he says - some input), and some young talent and draft picks not bereft of early-rounders, he'd be interested.

I asked him who that might be, but he said he didn't want to speculate.

We, of course, are free to.

vince
11-11-2010, 12:08 PM
Dom Capers was asked about that this week and not surprisingly, he didn't give a direct answer. His message was essentially that his focus is on his current job. When pressed, Capers said he would hope he isn't too old to be considered as a head coaching candidate. He also talked about the difficulty in coaching an expansion franchise in the NFL -- he did it twice with the Panthers and the Texans. If some team came calling, I would think Capers would have to consider it. Let's face it, there are some teams in the NFL -- I won't mention any names -- with head coaches doing far worse jobs than what Capers could do. If the Packers' defense continues to flourish, why wouldn't Capers generate some interest?

Fritz
11-11-2010, 12:27 PM
Dom Capers was asked about that this week and not surprisingly, he didn't give a direct answer. His message was essentially that his focus is on his current job. When pressed, Capers said he would hope he isn't too old to be considered as a head coaching candidate. He also talked about the difficulty in coaching an expansion franchise in the NFL -- he did it twice with the Panthers and the Texans. If some team came calling, I would think Capers would have to consider it. Let's face it, there are some teams in the NFL -- I won't mention any names -- with head coaches doing far worse jobs than what Capers could do. If the Packers' defense continues to flourish, why wouldn't Capers generate some interest?

See?

TravisWilliams23
11-11-2010, 01:15 PM
Happy Veterans Day to all who are and have served. Thank you.

Dom is certainly deserving of another HC gig if one comes his way. He's only in year 2 of the change from the 4-3 to the 3-4 and it's really looking like he knows what the heck he's doing. That plus TT seems to have an eye for the type of talent that will produce in Capers system.

It wasn't too long ago we were bitching about Vanilla Bob, and rightfully so. The collective group of coaches Don's assembled is outstanding. This is beginning to look like a bunch of Holmgren's Heroes on the defensive side who could all go onto bigger and better things.

I'd like to see them stick together a few more years at least but I'm being Packer selfish. So let's just enjoy the ride while it lasts.

The Leaper
11-11-2010, 07:51 PM
Dom may get some looks, but I think Capers probably might see fit to finish his career in GB. I'm doubting the guy wants to spend much more than 6-8 years in the league at this point, and after several coaching gigs he understands the level of work and stress on the head coach. I'm guessing he enjoys Thompson's eye for college talent, and I have no doubt that Thompson consults with Capers when coming up with his draft board.

If Green Bay sees fit to compensate him well and continues to be a strong up and coming contender, I don't think Dom will want to jump ship. He's got a lot of young defensive talent...he's on a team with a strong offense led by an All Pro caliber QB that is only going to make life easier for his defense. He's still looking for a ring, and I doubt he'll get a better shot at it anywhere else at this point.

MJZiggy
11-11-2010, 08:00 PM
Agree. Frasier is more than due.

Could be he doesn't even have to pack his bags to get it... :?

Bretsky
11-11-2010, 09:32 PM
On one hand...isn't it nice to actually think of one of our assistants as being worthy of a head coaching job again ?

Teams seem to be searching for the next young up/coming asst (like Tomlin) or a glamour coach, like Cower or Gruden. I'd be kind of surprised if Dom gets an offer as I'm not sure he fits either bill

Packers4Ever
11-11-2010, 10:31 PM
It would suck if he left but it would surprise me if he left. He might have his dream job right now.

He has no owner to bug him. He works with a head coach that seems to delegate all defensive decisions. The Packers under McCarthy are a breeding ground for schematic creativity... very much Capers's cup of tea. It might also be tough for Capers to walk away from the young players he's been dealt by Ted Thompson. How could his situation be better? More money? Power as a GM? I think he'll be here for a long time.

I sure do hope you're right, you sure make a good case for it ! :wink:

Pugger
11-11-2010, 11:26 PM
We all hope he stays for a long time but if someone offers him a HCing position I'd bet he go for it. For our sake I hope other teams will look for future HCs among the younger assistants on NFL clubs.

Fritz
11-12-2010, 07:00 AM
A little off topic, but I wanted to say, isn't it nice to see the Packers with a real pass rush now? I think there is absolutely nothing more aggravating to me than watching an opposing quarterback drop back, no defensive player within seven or eight feet, calmly survey the field, look again, order a sandwich, check his iphone, look again, then throw a thirty yard strike down the field.

I hate, hate, hate that.

So this year has been more fun to watch, particularly lately. So thank you, Dom, for scheming so well.

packerbacker1234
11-12-2010, 08:20 AM
A little off topic, but I wanted to say, isn't it nice to see the Packers with a real pass rush now? I think there is absolutely nothing more aggravating to me than watching an opposing quarterback drop back, no defensive player within seven or eight feet, calmly survey the field, look again, order a sandwich, check his iphone, look again, then throw a thirty yard strike down the field.

I hate, hate, hate that.

So this year has been more fun to watch, particularly lately. So thank you, Dom, for scheming so well.

It's also amazing, considering how so many of us were complaining about his schemes, and how we didn't mix it up enough and only blitzed on obvious passing downs, such as third and long.

How the tides have turned. Could it be that it just took a full season of learning the system before he developed the trust in his players abilities to do those more exoctic blitzs and coverages?

Afterall, until last season, allt he players were taught a 4-3. I am one to believe year one was the year of learning, and year 2, as we are seeing it, is the result of what they learned in year one.