PDA

View Full Version : Sam Shields...the Anti-Underwood?

Fritz
11-12-2010, 07:49 AM
http://packersnews.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20101111/PKR01/101111146/Coaching-staff-impressed-br-with-CB-Shields-rapid-rise

Joe Whitt's seeming constant focus on Shield's work ethic, desire, and professionalism suggest to me that there might be, uh, another young cornerback on the team, uh, maybe not drafted up high but, uh, physically talented, who, uh, isn't working hard, doesn't, uh, have the desire, and maybe, uh, lacks professionalism.

Hmmm...are Whitt's comments perhaps targeted in some way to Brandon Underwood?

packerbacker1234
11-12-2010, 08:12 AM
I take it more as a "guy who ha dno shot and did the best he could with the given opportunities, and never looked back".

Too many young players think they are entitled to a real shot, and Shields is the prime example of a guy who worked his ass off to earn that shot.

ThunderDan
11-12-2010, 08:29 AM
http://packersnews.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20101111/PKR01/101111146/Coaching-staff-impressed-br-with-CB-Shields-rapid-rise

Joe Whitt's seeming constant focus on Shield's work ethic, desire, and professionalism suggest to me that there might be, uh, another young cornerback on the team, uh, maybe not drafted up high but, uh, physically talented, who, uh, isn't working hard, doesn't, uh, have the desire, and maybe, uh, lacks professionalism.

Hmmm...are Whitt's comments perhaps targeted in some way to Brandon Underwood?

I thought this was either about Sam soliciting 2 male prostitutes or he was going to church.

Scott Campbell
11-12-2010, 08:47 AM
2 of our top 3 CB's were undrafted free agents. Amazing.

RashanGary
11-12-2010, 09:00 AM
I don't think it's a shot at Underwood and I don't think his success is everything to do with hard work. There is a knack to make plays, to understand the big picture of what is going on. . . . Some guys have it, others don't. I've seen physical specimens and hard workers flop bad. It happens. Then there are physical specimens who don't work hard but are great for 5 or 6 years just becuase they're physical nad they know how to play. . . There are not so physical specimens who work hard and know how to play and suceed that way. . . . What I don't see, or havn't noticed, are guys who don't know how to play that work hard and suddenly know how to play. There are raw people who don't know because they've never tried, but guys who play and show up not knowing what to do over and over. . . That doesn't tend to change. Underwood and Pat Lee seem like that kind of player. I have little to no hope in them.

Patler
11-12-2010, 09:02 AM

Then throw in Atari Bigby who was also an undrafted free agent, and Charlie Peprah picked up on waivers as a rookie, and it seems among the top 6 DBs there are a lot of over-achiever types.

ThunderDan
11-12-2010, 09:20 AM

Then throw in Atari Bigby who was also an undrafted free agent, and Charlie Peprah picked up on waivers as a rookie, and it seems among the top 6 DBs there are a lot of over-achiever types.

Great, you had to go and name He Who Must Not Be Named. Now SKinbasket will be here post-haste to slam the Twig. (Not that I am an Atari fan but he is a little better than Skinbasket's assessment)

Patler
11-12-2010, 09:52 AM

Great, you had to go and name He Who Must Not Be Named. Now SKinbasket will be here post-haste to slam the Twig. (Not that I am an Atari fan but he is a little better than Skinbasket's assessment)

Atari Bigby
Atari Bigby
Atari Bigby

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously, I don't understand the hate some have for the guy. When he wasn't playing on a gimpy ankle, he was a decent safety. Certainly better than some they ran out there a few years before he took over. Not every player in the lineup will be an All-Pro. You can win games with a healthy Atari Bigby as one of your safeties.

Getting down on Bigby, Harrell, etc. for getting injured is a waste of emotion, in my opinion.

Scott Campbell
11-12-2010, 10:02 AM
It wasn't a total waste. Like anything the Skinbasket is passionate about, I thought it was very entertaining.

Guiness
11-12-2010, 10:10 AM
I don't think it's a shot at Underwood and I don't think his success is everything to do with hard work. There is a knack to make plays, to understand the big picture of what is going on. . . . Some guys have it, others don't. I've seen physical specimens and hard workers flop bad. It happens. Then there are physical specimens who don't work hard but are great for 5 or 6 years just becuase they're physical nad they know how to play. . . There are not so physical specimens who work hard and know how to play and suceed that way. . . . What I don't see, or havn't noticed, are guys who don't know how to play that work hard and suddenly know how to play. There are raw people who don't know because they've never tried, but guys who play and show up not knowing what to do over and over. . . That doesn't tend to change. Underwood and Pat Lee seem like that kind of player. I have little to no hope in them.

Woody? Is that you?

jk - JH, but that was a heck of a brain dump. I followed it through though!

I think you're wrong though, for some guys it takes a while for the game to 'slow down'. On the Pack, I'd point to Bush. He seemed to not know what to do for a couple of years, but suddenly this year he's good enough to keep as the #4 CB over Al Harris? Something happened there.

mraynrand
11-12-2010, 10:14 AM

Atari Bigby
Atari Bigby
Atari Bigby

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously, I don't understand the hate some have for the guy. When he wasn't playing on a gimpy ankle, he was a decent safety. Certainly better than some they ran out there a few years before he took over. Not every player in the lineup will be an All-Pro. You can win games with a healthy Atari Bigby as one of your safeties.

Getting down on Bigby, Harrell, etc. for getting injured is a waste of emotion, in my opinion.

I run hot and cold on the Bigby. It's hard to get exited about him back there in the secondary in charge of missile command, when he's out of action getting his tracking system repaired all the time. However, one hidden advantage to Bigby is that with his shoulder tackling technique, he is built for the new 'no helmet involved in any tackle in any way' NFL...

Guiness
11-12-2010, 10:15 AM

It is amazing, and you have to think we can trace a lot of the success on the team to this fact.

Not so much as safety, but most teams spend a high draft picks on the defensive backfield - especially CB. We have a total of one first day pick in our starting nickel package (Collins). Since got our CB's as an FA and 2 UFA's we can afford to, I don't know, use a pick to move up in the first round and get an OLB?

Tony Oday
11-12-2010, 10:25 AM

It is amazing, and you have to think we can trace a lot of the success on the team to this fact.

Not so much as safety, but most teams spend a high draft picks on the defensive backfield - especially CB. We have a total of one first day pick in our starting nickel package (Collins). Since got our CB's as an FA and 2 UFA's we can afford to, I don't know, use a pick to move up in the first round and get an OLB?

What a waste of a pick getting an OLB in the first round...THAT NEVER WORKS OUT!!!! FIRE TT...

*for you out there that rocks are a substitute for brains that was sarcasm*

Joemailman
11-12-2010, 04:41 PM

Better check your info. TT doesn't sign free agents. That's a fact!!

Sincerely,

Packnut

Bossman641
11-12-2010, 04:46 PM

Better check your info. TT doesn't sign big name, besides Woodson and Pickett, free agents. That's a fact!!

Sincerely,

Packnut

Fixed for Packnut

channtheman
11-12-2010, 07:48 PM
I take it more as a "guy who ha dno shot and did the best he could with the given opportunities, and never looked back".

Too many young players think they are entitled to a real shot, and Shields is the prime example of a guy who worked his ass off to earn that shot.

I'm just glad we didn't cut him based on him not being able to catch a punt.

retailguy
11-12-2010, 09:40 PM

Is "physical specimen" Mr. Rodgers word of the day? :wink:

bobblehead
11-13-2010, 04:38 AM

THANKSTED!!! this just shows why you spend picks on DL and pass rush.

bobblehead
11-13-2010, 04:46 AM
*for you out there that rocks are a substitute for brains that was sarcasm*

dude, that sentence, with that structure, ugh!!

Bretsky
11-13-2010, 07:33 AM

It can go both ways; had we not cut Daniel Wehr we might be able to say the same thing with Wehr an Cullen Jenkins as main starters/contributors

this is moe credit to TT for scouring the undraftd free agents

Fritz
11-13-2010, 08:20 AM
Anybody hear anything on Pat Lee's ankle, as far as how it's healing? It'd be nice to have him - and Pickett - healthy for the Heidis.

RashanGary
11-13-2010, 08:33 AM
Thompson does a good job evaluating talent from the draft and also from UDFA types. From there, he gets the leverage of having restricted FA's instead of UFA's and if it goes beyond that, he has tags. By finding and developing from within, the Packers find themselves in a healthy cap situation because they don't have to overpay to keep their talent.

Finds talent
Signs good contracts
Minimizes bad contracts

It's no shock that the Packers have been one of the best teams the last two years. It's no shock that they've sustained league leading injuries to key players and are still near the top.

The Packers are in position to win a superbowl (this year and for many more years).

Shields is another example of a Thompson type player. He's young. His contract is reasonable. He's going to be here for a long time and he's good. The big fear of losing Harris and Woodson. . . . Williams is now a probowl caliber corner (whether the small town player makes it or not, he's worthy of it). . . . We have what looks like a really good 22 year old and Woodson is still around. I have a feeling the OT situation is going to be great when Clifton hangs them up too. We just keep getting better. We add talent so much faster than we lose it. We're right at that point where we're just starting to peak. Startng last year, going forward 5 years, I think we'll be the top team in the league record wise and I could see a SB or two, too.

Patler
11-13-2010, 09:05 AM

It can go both ways; had we not cut Daniel Wehr we might be able to say the same thing with Wehr an Cullen Jenkins as main starters/contributors

I assume you mean Daniel Muir. Too bad with him. He was a guy they talked about his first year, and he played a couple games. They talked him up in the off season, but he had a horrible camp his second year (by his own admission). I have a feeling the Packers were trying to get him through to the PS. Colts snatched him, he responded well to the wake-up call of being cut, and has become a "player that got away." I gave him a lot of credit after an article last year in which he said he had absolutely no ill feelings toward the Packers because he deserved to be cut by GB. He said his effort was very poor in camp, and he felt bad for short-changing GB who had given him a chance as an UDFA. Seems like a quality guy who recognized his mistakes.

Sherman gets credit for Cullen Jenkins. One of the few good moves he had as GM along with the trade for Harris and drafting Kampman, Wells and Barnett. Walker, too, I suppose.

mraynrand
11-13-2010, 09:07 AM

Wasn't Muir a casualty of having too many bodies at tackle - at the time he was cut?

pbmax
11-13-2010, 10:28 AM
Thompson does a good job evaluating talent from the draft and also from UDFA types. From there, he gets the leverage of having restricted FA's instead of UFA's and if it goes beyond that, he has tags. By finding and developing from within, the Packers find themselves in a healthy cap situation because they don't have to overpay to keep their talent.

Finds talent
Signs good contracts
Minimizes bad contracts

It's no shock that the Packers have been one of the best teams the last two years. It's no shock that they've sustained league leading injuries to key players and are still near the top.

The Packers are in position to win a superbowl (this year and for many more years).

Shields is another example of a Thompson type player. He's young. His contract is reasonable. He's going to be here for a long time and he's good. The big fear of losing Harris and Woodson. . . . Williams is now a probowl caliber corner (whether the small town player makes it or not, he's worthy of it). . . . We have what looks like a really good 22 year old and Woodson is still around. I have a feeling the OT situation is going to be great when Clifton hangs them up too. We just keep getting better. We add talent so much faster than we lose it. We're right at that point where we're just starting to peak. Startng last year, going forward 5 years, I think we'll be the top team in the league record wise and I could see a SB or two, too.
I would think Shields was a quintessential Thompson mid to late pick: he had the measurables, played a valued position and was so inexperienced that his physical tools looked out of place in the seventh round.

He has drafted hard working, four year starter types, but this pick and the subsequent reliance on the coach and player to produce improvement, is what marks his approach as different, I think.

Joemailman
11-13-2010, 04:26 PM

Wasn't Muir a casualty of having too many bodies at tackle - at the time he was cut?

Muir was a casualty of playing like shit in training camp. My recollection is that TT kept less D-Linemen than normal. It backfired when Jenkins, Harrell and KGB ended up on the injury list. Probably should have kept Muir despite his lackluster play that summer.

Patler
11-13-2010, 04:49 PM

Muir was a casualty of playing like shit in training camp. My recollection is that TT kept less D-Linemen than normal. It backfired when Jenkins, Harrell and KGB ended up on the injury list. Probably should have kept Muir despite his lackluster play that summer.

The numbers were good, but the quality was not. After Jenkins, Kampman, Pickett and Jolly, they had Cole, KGB, Hunter, Montgomery and Thompson.
Nine warm bodies, but Hunter, Montgomery and Thompson never did much, and KGB was washed up and released a few weeks into the season. Muir had plenty of opportunity, just didn't do anything with it.

I think the Packers expected him to clear waivers and make it to the PS.