PDA

View Full Version : Kampman tears ACL, out for the year.

denverYooper
11-12-2010, 12:09 PM
#Jaguars announce that former #Packers DE Aaron Kampman tore ACL in practice and is out for year. Not same knee as last year, but still.

That's too bad. He was having a decent year for the Jags.

mraynrand
11-12-2010, 12:12 PM
#Jaguars announce that former #Packers DE Aaron Kampman tore ACL in practice and is out for year. Not same knee as last year, but still.

That's too bad. He was having a decent year for the Jags.

ain't that the way it always seems to go? Next, we'll be hearing Al Harris have the same thing happen to HIS other knee. What a bad break. (Hope we still get a third rounder...)

Scott Campbell
11-12-2010, 12:36 PM
Crap. He's way too nice a guy for this kind of bad luck.

hoosier
11-12-2010, 12:51 PM
I think I just heard a 3rd round draft pick turning into a 4 or 5.

Fosco33
11-12-2010, 01:27 PM
Even former Packer injuries are affecting us... gah

Fritz
11-12-2010, 05:58 PM

Excellent point...there goes that third round pick...damn

Badgerinmaine
11-12-2010, 08:14 PM
Bummer. He's a good guy and I hope his recovery for next season goes well.

mraynrand
11-13-2010, 09:04 AM
Bummer. He's a good guy and I hope his recovery for next season goes well.

f he rubs it with some of his money, it will heal faster.

GrnBay007
11-13-2010, 09:18 AM
Upstanding person and football player. Hope he makes a full recovery.

Patler
11-13-2010, 09:39 AM

I'm not sure how much this will change that. While no one ever explains for sure just how they calculate the compensation, some of the factors are known. A few years back an article explained that the "playing time" component of the calculation was very gross in nature. Was he a starter for you? Was he a starter for his new team? Was he a backup? Part of a playing rotation, etc. The article stated that a player injured during the season does not decrease that part of the value.

My personal feeling is that contract value is a big part of it. If Team B signs player X at a reasonable contract, Team A could have kept him at a reasonable cost, and therefore doesn't deserve much compensation for the loss.

In the end, I think they just draw it out of a hat anyway! :lol:

RashanGary
11-13-2010, 09:53 AM

I'm not sure how much this will change that. While no one ever explains for sure just how they calculate the compensation, some of the factors are known. A few years back an article explained that the "playing time" component of the calculation was very gross in nature. Was he a starter for you? Was he a starter for his new team? Was he a backup? Part of a playing rotation, etc. The article stated that a player injured during the season does not decrease that part of the value.

My personal feeling is that contract value is a big part of it. If Team B signs player X at a reasonable contract, Team A could have kept him at a reasonable cost, and therefore doesn't deserve much compensation for the loss.

Right. There is a guy somewhere on the interweb that predicts it every year. He has a good feel for the equation because he's almost always right on. Contract is by far the greatest factor, from what I've heard. . . . .

We should still get a nice pick for him.

Patler
11-13-2010, 10:20 AM

Right. There is a guy somewhere on the interweb that predicts it every year. He has a good feel for the equation because he's almost always right on. Contract is by far the greatest factor, from what I've heard. . . . .

We should still get a nice pick for him.

Not sure how high a pick it will be, regardless. Perhaps not a third injured or not.

Apparently, he signed a $26M, 4-year contract. $11 million payable this year and guaranteed based on a $10 million bonus and a $1 million salary. The contract average of $6.5 per year would put him at around #18 in DE compensation based on 2009 cap impact numbers for DEs. The one year compensation of $11 million would have been the 7th highest for DEs in 2009.

MJZiggy
11-13-2010, 10:45 AM
You guys are obsessed with your picks. I'll always remember the full page ad Kamp took out when he left the team thanking the Packers, the fans and the community. Totally upstanding dude. May he recover strong and play well in the future.

Patler
11-13-2010, 10:53 AM
You guys are obsessed with your picks.

Not really. Just something to talk about during an off week.

bobblehead
11-13-2010, 11:07 AM
You guys are obsessed with your picks. I'll always remember the full page ad Kamp took out when he left the team thanking the Packers, the fans and the community. Totally upstanding dude. May he recover strong and play well in the future.

i'm obsessed with boobs actually

wist43
11-13-2010, 11:38 AM
Sorry to hear that... will always be a Kampman fan. Hope he rehabs well and comes back strong next year.

MJZiggy
11-13-2010, 01:07 PM

i'm obsessed with boobs actually

I've never understood this. But whatever works for ya.

retailguy
11-13-2010, 05:27 PM
I don't think we ever had a chance at a 3rd round pick. My guess was a 4th, or a 5th and that hasn't changed.

Lurker64
11-13-2010, 05:33 PM
I don't think we ever had a chance at a 3rd round pick. My guess was a 4th, or a 5th and that hasn't changed.

You have to keep in mind though that by far the most important input for the compensatory pick formula is "compensation for this year". Kampman got paid $11,000,000 this year which may have been enough to guarantee a 3rd whether or not he played a down. He did play in, and start, in eight games this year which is enough to pretty much guarantee that we'll get higher than a 5th.

Keep in mind that we got a fifth round compensatory pick for losing Colin Cole to the Seahawks, who got paid $5,006,240 in his first year as a Seahawk.

retailguy
11-13-2010, 05:39 PM

You have to keep in mind though that by far the most important input for the compensatory pick formula is "compensation for this year". Kampman got paid $11,000,000 this year which may have been enough to guarantee a 3rd whether or not he played a down. He did play in, and start, in eight games this year which is enough to pretty much guarantee that we'll get higher than a 5th.

Keep in mind that we got a fifth round compensatory pick for losing Colin Cole to the Seahawks, who got paid $5,006,240 in his first year as a Seahawk.

That Cole pick was a gift. My bet is on a 4th, and I still think a 5th is a possibility.

Did they publish the criteria? I always thought that was a secret, ie subject to change as the decision makers "felt like it".

Lurker64
11-13-2010, 05:54 PM
That Cole pick was a gift. My bet is on a 4th, and I still think a 5th is a possibility.

Did they publish the criteria? I always thought that was a secret, ie subject to change as the decision makers "felt like it".

The formula is secret, but there's a guy online who does a very, very good job at predicting the compensatories before they're out (AdamJT13, you can google it), so it's definitely a formula and not really a "we'll give somebody a pick in that round if we feel like it."

Also, the Cole pick wasn't that much of a gift. Sure, he's not a good player, but the Seahawks did choose (for some reason) to pay him $5 million last year. Just getting paid a bunch of money, even if you suck, don't play, or don't play well factors a lot into the compensatory picks. I think because the formula was written with the assumption that "NFL teams are good evaluators of what a free agents are worth", which does not actually seem to be borne out by reality.

The other thing that helps the Packers when it comes to compensatories is that the formula compares (free agents out) - (free agents in), and we don't sign free agents (at least, we didn't last year.)