PDA

View Full Version : Al Harris' New Home

pbmax
11-15-2010, 06:39 PM
Al played for the Dolphins on Sunday, but was not the starter at CB according to the GameBook. Starters were V Davis and S Smith. The only mention I could find of his play was a tackle short of a first down of the TE Gage (http://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/dolphins/miami-dolphins-rookie-reshad-jones-and-newly-acquired-1047773.html)

Anyone watch the game and see more?

mission
11-15-2010, 07:59 PM
Yeah I watched the game down here in Atlanta. Nice drag down tackle on that play. Typical Al-over-the-back-from-behind pull down.

Before the tackle he did a sort of double-hop to get to the ball carrier. Not sure how to explain it but he definitely looked tentative on the knee. I thought right away after seeing the replay: "dang, should he even be out there right now?". He was pumped up but you could see he wasn't quite 100% (or 90% knowing how he usually looks moving around).

Didn't notice any other plays from him.

gbgary
11-15-2010, 08:00 PM
i was gonna watch it and forgot about it. concentrated on nfc north games. saw him briefly on a highlight. he's wearing no. 31 again i believe.

Bretsky
11-15-2010, 09:00 PM
surprised he's playing so fast
I was covinced that he was let go because he was simply not recovered enough to take the field
Makes me even more surprised

Joemailman
11-16-2010, 10:45 PM
I think the Packers released him so he could play elsewhere. They were not going to make changes to a secondary that has surrendered just 9 TD passes while picking off 14 passes.

Tony Oday
11-16-2010, 11:10 PM
I think the Packers released him so he could play elsewhere. They were not going to make changes to a secondary that has surrendered just 9 TD passes while picking off 14 passes.

+1

Fritz
11-17-2010, 06:45 AM
Yeah I watched the game down here in Atlanta. Nice drag down tackle on that play. Typical Al-over-the-back-from-behind pull down.

Before the tackle he did a sort of double-hop to get to the ball carrier. Not sure how to explain it but he definitely looked tentative on the knee. I thought right away after seeing the replay: "dang, should he even be out there right now?". He was pumped up but you could see he wasn't quite 100% (or 90% knowing how he usually looks moving around).

Didn't notice any other plays from him.

Thanks for the report, Mish. If your analysis is correct, then it would seem the Packers released him because he's really not recovered. It'll be interesting to see how he does against the Bears. Wish I had NFL network - but dang, it's expensive.

packerbacker1234
11-17-2010, 07:46 AM
It's all subjective on your opinion of how he looked. I saws him on 4 plays in particular whee he looked rather quick, similar to the old al. Bumped the slot guy at the line and I believe he didn't give up any catches. The play where he got the tackle I admit there was a moment where I thought he was favoring the knee, putting uneeded pressure on his other leg, but then when I watched him in some later plays he looked just fine.

Too me it was just his first game, and he needs to play simply so he can learn how his new rehabbed knee will feel. It was obvious it felt different than it did before, but there were still plays where you couldn't tell he ever got hurt, so it's just a matter of al adjusting.

Was glad to see him out there.

mission
11-18-2010, 08:30 PM
It's not subjective. You see that replay they just showed of the Bears' 3rd down conversion where Sapp made the tackle out of bounds? You can see Harris with a sort of gallop ... I know that gallop. I've had a knee injury. It's how I used to "run" down three flights of stairs.

I love(d) the guy and hope he comes back and has 13 picks and 4 sacks this year, but he's just not there yet.

Bossman641
11-18-2010, 08:43 PM
Harris not lookin too good. I'm worried Knox will burn him.

vince
11-19-2010, 04:21 AM
Agreed. Harris looked stiff and slow to me. Perhaps he's still working out the kinks, but I'd say he's going to get picked on. I didn't see him playing any man-press though. He was always four to five yards off the ball. He'll probably need to start bumping receivers to survive very long.

Fritz
11-19-2010, 07:45 AM
Any one else see the game and have a post-mortem on Al Harris? I'm curious how he did, how he looked. Reviews seem mixed here.

Teamcheez1
11-19-2010, 09:23 AM
I didn't think he looked particularly good out there. I really only saw him on three plays during the game.

On two 3rd downs, he was beaten for first downs thrown by Cutler. On another play, he couldn't get off of a block ten yards or so downfield to make a play and prevent a first down. It's tough to see what he is doing on the other plays during the game, but I mainly saw him playing off the receiver, or dropping into coverage. Speed has never been his forte, but it's hard to tell if has much left in the tank.

ThunderDan
11-19-2010, 10:17 AM
I didn't think he looked particularly good out there. I really only saw him on three plays during the game.

On two 3rd downs, he was beaten for first downs thrown by Cutler. On another play, he couldn't get off of a block ten yards or so downfield to make a play and prevent a first down. It's tough to see what he is doing on the other plays during the game, but I mainly saw him playing off the receiver, or dropping into coverage. Speed has never been his forte, but it's hard to tell if has much left in the tank.

Welcome to the forum!

Fritz
11-19-2010, 10:18 AM
You know, it may be that it's just going to take time for Harris to get back to speed, overcome the injury. But I think that may have gone into the Packers' thinking - if it's going to take him five or six games to get back up to speed, and if you think Lee (or Shields if you're thinking Harris as nickel) can get to that same level over the next five or six games, why not keep the younger guy?

vince
11-20-2010, 06:56 AM
At 36, he may never get over it - not before it's too late anyway. Still hoping the best for Al. Great Packer.

Welcome Teamcheez!

Patler
11-20-2010, 07:36 AM
Per the MJSO:

Cornerback Al Harris, who didn't look good as Miami's nickel back Thursday night (emphasis added) against Chicago, received a one-year, $2.13 million deal last week.

The interesting aspect of Harris' contract is the split salary he was forced to accept. It means that if Harris is placed on injured reserve, his base salary of $1.75 million would be reduced to $600,000.

Goes on to say it is the type of split contract that normally only low round draft choices are asked to sign.

Scott Campbell
11-20-2010, 08:43 AM
As I understand it, there's a long recovery time to get back to 100% on that kind of an injury.

Fritz
11-20-2010, 08:45 AM
I like Al Harris and wish him well, but at the same time if he looks good, and one of the Packers' corners gets hurt (knock on wood that that does NOT happen), I dread the GPPG and JSO response...

gbgary
11-20-2010, 12:38 PM
As I understand it, there's a long recovery time to get back to 100% on that kind of an injury.

acls aren't really 100% until the second year. his injury was much worse. he's made an amazing recovery to this point. next season will tell more if he's still around.