PDA

View Full Version : Rob Demovsky Trying To Stir Up Crap In Lockerroom

Scott Campbell
11-16-2010, 11:01 AM
http://packersnews.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20101115/PKR01/101115190/Without-Harris-or-Tauscher-number-of-veterans-dwindles

He seems to be pretty desperate in his search to find somebody to throw the front office under the bus.

denverYooper
11-16-2010, 11:07 AM
He must have had a deadline to meet.

channtheman
11-16-2010, 11:35 AM
That is a pretty bad article. "TT cut one old injured vet and put another on IR, he hates veterans!"

ND72
11-16-2010, 11:49 AM
I heard on the radio this morning that Tauschers injury was "legit and disruptive" to his playing potential this year, so putting him on IR doesn't really make a difference to me. As long as we stay somewhat healthy, I'm not concerned. And as it is, Tauscher was freaking HORRIBLE this year, so I'd rather put a young guy in and see if he can handle it if Bulaga goes down.

The media tries to make such a big deal of the low number of vetran players...who cares? Good lord you'd think we were 3-6 instead of 6-3. All those young guys will be vetrans some day with big long contracts, just not right now. I've had no problem with either move by TT with Harris or Tauscher, and very many other vetran moves he's made.

ThunderDan
11-16-2010, 11:52 AM
Appartently, once you get a reputation you can never get rid of it! TT could sign 5 30+ year old players but would still be seen as hating vets!

I am glad Pickett had the sense to tell them he and Woodson were signed by TT.

Why not write an article about how great Tausch and Al have played for the Pack instead of snipping at TT?

Tony Oday
11-16-2010, 12:00 PM
I dont have the numbers, nor do I want to look them up, but how many games have our guys started? Just because they are young does not mean they are not Veterans. A 31 year old with a handful of starts compared to a 26 year old with 3 years of starting experience seems to be better in my opinion. Who on the team wasnt here for the playoff run? WTF. These writers are just dumb.

Fritz
11-16-2010, 12:00 PM
I felt the same way. Sure, I wish they'd have kept Al Harris. I do. But to suggest that this is more evidence of TT's hatred of vets because he hates vets - come on. It is part of the bigger picture, yes, and most fans tend to think short term, especially when your team is 6-3. But how many moves has TT made or not made for the long term that we're ultimately glad he made?

Like not keeping a certain older QB around for as long as he wanted to stay, without having to participate in offseason stuff?

ND72
11-16-2010, 12:10 PM
Just a quick look at who I think weren't on the roster for the NFC Championship. 6 are on IR, 26 are on active roster of the 53 man roster. BUT, if you ever look at the turnover on a team like even New England or Indianapolis, it isn't much different.

Diral Briggs
Bryan Bulaga
Tom Crabtree
Matt Flynn
Howard Green
Quinn Johnson
John Kuhn (?)
T.J. Lang
Pat Lee
Tim Mastay
Clay Matthews
Nick McDonald
Dimitri Nance
Jordy Nelson
Marshall Newhouse
Andrew Quarless
B.J. Raji
Sam Shields
Josh Sitton
Anthony Smith
James Starks
Brett Swain
Brandon Underwood
Erik Walden
Matt Wilheim
C.J. Wilson
Jarius Wynn
Frank Zombo
Mike Neal
Derrick Martin
Brad Jones
Jermichael Finley
Morgan Burnett
Josh Bell

vince
11-16-2010, 12:14 PM
Controversy sells and this is one angle to sell. An emotional tug for the ol' vets plays for many people, but in the end it is short-lived. The reality is their "loss" has no impact - unless of course, another rash of injuries occur. It's tough to hang onto these guys at the bottom of the roster unless they have special teams or developmental value. Harris and Tauscher have neither.

MadScientist
11-16-2010, 12:17 PM
Rob is pissed because Tom P gets to cover a train wreck with lots of locker-room intrigue, so he's trying to stir some up in GB.

pbmax
11-16-2010, 12:19 PM
This was natural. Its the biggest story beyond the next game. Two fixtures for a decade are gone, of course there will be questions. Its only a surprise there wasn't a bigger uproar. JSO and Wilde had the same quotes.

The only difference between the Packers and other teams is that it is considered unusual in the local press (and sometimes here) that teams prefer younger players. That somehow Thompson is different than the rest of the GMs. Its part of the narrative of the Packers even while evidence to the contrary (Green) talks to them directly. It has morphed into conventional wisdom that Thompson dislikes veterans because two different types of decisions have been morphed into one: Thompson not being active in FA and Thompson trusting his young players to replace older players whose value has declined has become "Thompson does not like veterans".

Of course there are risks, young players are not always ready or willing (see Vince Young). But there are equal risks with older players. Does anyone think that veteran depth this year would have been better than the youth that has improved? This team, at least as of today, stands in stark contrast to the 2002 Packers who physically collapsed at the end of the season. The last test will be in the playoffs.

Patler
11-16-2010, 05:01 PM
So let me get this straight, Cullen Jenkins, Scott Wells and Brandon Chiller with seven years in the league do not provide veteran leadership because they are under 30? Same for Collins and Rodgers with six years? But I suppose signing Randy Moss would have brought the veteran leadership this team needs so badly because he is over 30?

What's the complaint about Tauscher going to IR? Last I heard he is supposed to have surgery next week. What good would he do on the active roster? The next thing all the writers would do is complain about wasting a roster spot on a guy who can't contribute. Tauscher had six/seven weeks to rehab, and still wasn't ready. How long are they supposed to wait for him? It was time to do something with that roster spot.

Demovsky and a couple others are licking their chops waiting for one of the CBs to go down so they can whine and complain some more about the release of Harris.

Patler
11-16-2010, 05:13 PM
I think the article changed a little since I first read it early this morning. I think there was a more direct comment about the team getting younger with Harris released and Tauscher to IR. Of course, Harris made no difference at all in the average age of the roster, because he was never on the roster this year.

But what about 23 year old Neal eventually being replaced by 31 year old Green?
Or 21 year old Burnett by 29 year old Bigby?
Or 23 year old Finley by 27 year old Havner?

Guys go down and others come in. Some are older, some are younger. About what should be expected, isn't it?

Patler
11-16-2010, 10:29 PM
For the opposite view, how holding on to the older players can blow up in your face:

http://packersnews.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20101116/PKR01/101116155/Analysis-Coach-aging-players-factors-in-Vikings-downfall

packerbacker1234
11-17-2010, 07:56 AM
I don't think it's a "bad" article, it's just too long a stretch to make TT look bad. Every year teams need to make tough decisions with key veteran players. We knew Taucher and Clifton weren't going to last forever and we were very luck both held up last season. Sure, we figured it was clifton who was done and Taucher who could give us another good year, but it turned the other way, and it's Clifton who is turning in probowl like performances.

It is very interesting, that is for sure. Only reason I am okay with Al getting cut is if Al didn't want to get demoted so far down the depth chart. I still would like him on our roster over Lee. But if he can't handle 4th cb/competeing for nickle, than we made the best decision for the team.

I agree that we don't have much verteran leadership, but I agree with AR that we do have enough. On both sides of the ball.

Young up and commer in Matthews - two veteran db's in Woodson and Collins = on offense we have AR, Clifton, and Driver. A pretty nice balance of leaders. I know Taucher was a big time locker room leader in the past, and I think that is why MM is asking he stay with the team despite not playing. I am sure he could provide some "valuable" coaching type words for Bulalga, and obviously still provide that locker room presence. Time will tell if Taucher thinks it is worth his time to stay with the team.

Scott Campbell
11-17-2010, 08:55 AM
For the opposite view, how holding on to the older players can blow up in your face:

http://packersnews.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20101116/PKR01/101116155/Analysis-Coach-aging-players-factors-in-Vikings-downfall

That is pretty funny. It looks like Dougherty fired back with a counterpoint.

(http://packersnews.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20101116/PKR01/101116155/Analysis-Coach-aging-players-factors-in-Vikings-downfall)

vince
11-18-2010, 06:02 AM
That is pretty funny. It looks like Dougherty fired back with a counterpoint.

(http://packersnews.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20101116/PKR01/101116155/Analysis-Coach-aging-players-factors-in-Vikings-downfall)
The same day no less - and Dougherty wins in a landslide.