PDA

View Full Version : The best worst packers

ND72
11-17-2010, 08:48 PM
14. Michael Haddix, RB, 1989-'90 ("Averaged three yards per carry for his career, the worst in NFL history for anyone with more than 500 runs.")
29. Jim Grabowski, RB, 1966-'70 ("Miami made Grabowski the No. 1 pick of the 1966 AFL draft, then the Packers took him ninth overall in the NFL draft. Green Bay won the rights, but lost the war. In six seasons, Grabowski never started a game and averaged more than four yards per carry only once. Not much of a blocker, either.")
58.*Tony Mandarich, T, 1989-'91 ("Judged solely by his three years in Green Bay, during which he was ruthlessly mocked by opposing pass rushers, Mandarich is Top 5. But in a Vanilla Ice-like return from the dead, Mandarich actually played reasonably OK for the Colts.")
91. Kit Lathrop, DL, 1979-'80 ("Lathrop was an NFL nobody before jumping to the USFL's Chicago Blitz. He was twice named to the new venture's All-League team, but when it folded he returned to the NFL. Where he stank.")
94. Steve Pisarkiewicz, QB, 1980 ("The Cards expected Pisarkiewicz to quickly supplant Jim Hart as the team's leader. Instead, they found themselves cursed with a scatter-armed underachiever who was out of the league after three years.")
95. Ahmad Carroll, CB, 2004-'06 ("Slow to respond, not especially aggressive, gets beat deep, overwhelmed by tall receivers.")
96. Rick Norton, QB, 1970 ("Started only 11 career games, which was about 11 too many. Seven touchdown passes, 30 interceptions and 56.7 yards per game.")

Joemailman
11-17-2010, 09:17 PM
What? No Jerry Tagge?

Tagge's performance earned the notice of Dan Devine, head coach of the Green Bay Packers. On his recommendation, the Packers selected Tagge in the first round of the 1972 NFL Draft (11th overall). Tagge would not enjoy the success in his hometown that he had at Nebraska, completing only three touchdown passes in 17 games played during three seasons from 1972-74. Devine was replaced as head coach by Bart Starr following the 1974 season, who released Tagge.
Tagge left the NFL for the San Antonio Wings of the short-lived World Football League. Tagge played in the Wings' final game of the 1975 season and he was intercepted five times. The Wings folded with the rest of the WFL on October 22, 1975.

http://www.the-kramerfamily.com/files/PACKERS/1973PACKERS-Pic-Tagge.JPG

gbgary
11-17-2010, 09:50 PM
i don't have any stats to back up my opinion but i always hated seeing zeke bratkowski play instead of starr. i was just a kid but it seems like he always played poorly and it would lead to a Packers loss.

Lurker64
11-17-2010, 10:09 PM
I was always a fan of Ingle Martin. He never did anything on the field (he was the #3 QB and he didn't really play well even in preseason), but he was a tremendously funny interview. His ability to be self-effacing far outstripped his football talent.

Patler
11-17-2010, 10:51 PM
29. Jim Grabowski, RB, 1966-'70 ("Miami made Grabowski the No. 1 pick of the 1966 AFL draft, then the Packers took him ninth overall in the NFL draft. Green Bay won the rights, but lost the war. In six seasons, Grabowski never started a game and averaged more than four yards per carry only once. Not much of a blocker, either.")

Where does he get the idea that Grabowski never started? He did for several years. Grabowski looked great early on, but had a serious knee injury his first season. Hard, tough runner. A second knee injury pretty much meant the end of his career. Knee injuries were not something you returned from in the 1960's the way they do now.

Grabowski's knee injury changed him, just like Eddie Lee Ivory's knee injury changed him.

Joemailman
11-17-2010, 11:10 PM
Where does he get the idea that Grabowski never started? He did for several years. Grabowski looked great early on, but had a serious knee injury his first season. Hard, tough runner. A second knee injury pretty much meant the end of his career. Knee injuries were not something you returned from in the 1960's the way they do now.

Grabowski's knee injury changed him, just like Eddie Lee Ivory's knee injury changed him.

He may have used Pro Football Reference. Their Games Started stats are very flawed.

However, I believe Donny Anderson would have been listed as the starting RB in those years. Was Grabowski the starting FB after Taylor left?

pbmax
11-17-2010, 11:33 PM

He may have used Pro Football Reference. Their Games Started stats are very flawed.

However, I believe Donny Anderson would have been listed as the starting RB in those years. Was Grabowski the starting FB after Taylor left?

Yes, their Games Started info is incomplete for years before recent online data. For the 1966 Packers, only Starr (13 starts), Jerry Kramer (14) and Bob Jeter (14) are listed with ANY starts. All others are at zero. Games Played seems to have more realistic numbers.

Patler
11-17-2010, 11:38 PM

Yup, Grabowski started at FB when Taylor left, and initially was the primary ball carrier. In 1967, Grabowski played only the first 7 games, and still ended up as the leading rusher for the season. Anderson came on as more of a ball carrier that year after Grabowski went down. Grabowski and Anderson started together for a couple years, but their roles as FB or HB got more muddled.

vince
11-18-2010, 04:57 AM
It looks like draft position played a big role in the overall list. Ahmad Carroll was a first rounder wasn't he? For my money, he should be way higher on that list.

Here's are the links to the entire list.

http://deadspin.com/5690535/
http://deadspin.com/5690560/

TravisWilliams23
11-18-2010, 08:20 AM
i don't have any stats to back up my opinion but i always hated seeing zeke bratkowski play instead of starr. i was just a kid but it seems like he always played poorly and it would lead to a Packers loss.

While I never wanted to see Starr out of a game, Bratkowski was a very capable back-up for the Pack. I was a kid at that time also and remember reading and hearing of what a plus it was to have a QB as good as Zeke on the bench in case of an injury to Bart. Saw some clips of Zeke winging it in the 65 OT game with the Colts and was impressed with his arm. Plus, waaaay back then, the QB's called their own plays!

I feel kind of old now. That was 40-some years ago!

Pugger
11-18-2010, 10:11 AM
I thought Zeke was a nice QB too. 8-o

MadScientist
11-18-2010, 11:27 AM
Willard Harrell should be on the Packers list. I have vague memories of him dancing about and getting tackled for little gain, going down easily, and generally wasting a roster spot. When I checked his record, I was stunned to see that he had a 10 year career (mostly with St Louis). Maybe he was ok on ST, but as a Packer RB, he sucked.

Fritz
11-18-2010, 12:49 PM
What, no Brent Fullwood? A top ten pick for the Pack in the 80's, and he did....What? Brent Who?

Yeah, that guy.

ThunderDan
11-18-2010, 12:58 PM
What, no Brent Fullwood? A top ten pick for the Pack in the 80's, and he did....What? Brent Who?

Yeah, that guy.

That would be Brent Fumblewood to you and me!

swede
11-18-2010, 01:02 PM
When I think of the "best" worst Packers I think of guys that at least entertained us before they went on to sell used cars or insurance. Dave Roller, Rich Wingo, Jeff Query, the bald safety, and Mo Lester (from the Forrest Gregg era)

Fritz
11-18-2010, 02:01 PM
Well then, what about Mossy Cade? Loads of entertainment value in that guy! All for, what, a #1 pick?

And how about that defensive lineman - what was his name? - who threw Jim McMahon on the ground about ten minutes after McMahon unloaded the ball? Charles Johnson, I think? He also once ate a hot dog during the game on the sidelines, I believe. Big fun!

AtlPackFan
11-18-2010, 02:41 PM
I was surprised that Rich Campbell was not on that list

http://www.footballdb.com/players/rich-campbell-campbri01
http://articles.sfgate.com/2004-11-30/sports/17454004_1_rich-campbell-cal-editorial-page-editor-minister

vince
11-18-2010, 02:56 PM
That list could be a Packers who's who of the 70's and 80's.

get louder at lambeau
11-18-2010, 04:05 PM
God you fuckers are old.

KYPack
11-18-2010, 04:36 PM
Well then, what about Mossy Cade? Loads of entertainment value in that guy! All for, what, a #1 pick?

And how about that defensive lineman - what was his name? - who threw Jim McMahon on the ground about ten minutes after McMahon unloaded the ball? Charles Johnson, I think? He also once ate a hot dog during the game on the sidelines, I believe. Big fun!

Charles Martin was the guy who slammed Jimmy Mac.
That was a low class move, but I dug it at the time.

Marin was a very wierd guy, drank himself to death.

Joemailman
11-18-2010, 04:38 PM

It was Charles Martin who slammed McMahon. Ezra Johnson ate the infamous hotdog. http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/82693772.html

Bretsky
11-18-2010, 06:09 PM
Where is J Bush ?

Joemailman
11-18-2010, 06:11 PM
Where is J Bush ?

UFA's don't qualify.

Pugger
11-18-2010, 06:16 PM
When I think of the "best" worst Packers I think of guys that at least entertained us before they went on to sell used cars or insurance. Dave Roller, Rich Wingo, Jeff Query, the bald safety, and Mo Lester (from the Forrest Gregg era)

The bald safety was Mark Murphy - and I'm not talking about our current team prez - who played from 1980-1991. He really wasn't that bad of a player but unfortunately he often led the team in tackles. Your defense is poor when a DB leads the team in tackles. He wasn't very fast, however, and after Wolf and Holmgren arrived he found himself on the bottom of the depth chart. He asked for his release but never played for another team. He used to speak to young people about coping with alopecia.

Pugger
11-18-2010, 06:18 PM
Where is J Bush ?

I think Bush is playing better now than he has in the past.

gbgary
11-18-2010, 08:56 PM

that would be mark murphy. he was pretty good i thought.

Travbrew
11-19-2010, 07:37 AM

Grabowski? You mean A. Carroll? (couldn't resist!) I know he's was already mentioned, and he gets my vote. What a tease.