PDA

View Full Version : Cullen Jenkins - Hands Free?

CaptainKickass
11-18-2010, 03:00 PM
There's a good chance defensive end Cullen Jenkins will play for the first time since the opener without a club or cast on his left hand.

Jenkins broke his hand on the second play of the Philadelphia game and has been playing one-handed. He's practicing with just a hard piece of plastic on the back of the hand and expects to play that way Sunday. He should have full use of his fingers again.

"I'll be able to grab when I'm on blocks, shed easier, things like that," Jenkins said.

Jenkins estimated he missed four or five sacks because he couldn't get the quarterback down with one hand.

So - I know the perceived knock on him is availability - but do you all see his production increasing as a result of loosing the "club"?

ND72
11-18-2010, 03:21 PM
So - I know the perceived knock on him is availability - but do you all see his production increasing as a result of loosing the "club"?

I only played DL in high school, but from my experience in college was our DL lived and breathed on their ability to grab hold of my and move me. With only one hand, that makes things insanely hard for a DL guy. When I coach the DL, I stress hands on...beat the OL to the punch by getting your hands on the breast plate right away, grab hold, make your move on rip/swim.

I would HOPE his productivity will increase, but I guess you never know.

CaptainD
11-18-2010, 04:05 PM
No doubt he gets more productive. Should make him a load for the opposing OL.

CaptainKickass
11-18-2010, 10:34 PM
Besides wanting to just see Jenkins have a big day:

If I'm Dom Capers, and Jenkins is indeed good to go, I'd start moving CMIII around a bit more. Kinda like they were talking about early on - having Jenkins on one side and CMIII on the other. Combine that with the rover part of Woodson's role, and I'd like to believe we'd have a nice combo of pressure and coverage.

ND72
11-19-2010, 10:17 AM
I think Capers has really started to like the Hawk/Clay/Woodson blitz. The best part is, usually they have left Woodson free to come as everyone watches Clay, and Hawk takes on a good block when he comes, so unless you have 4 guys protecting one side, one comes usually...and if Jenkins is healthy on the other side, we're sitting pretty. Don't forget the Raji factor either...he's as good a pass rush NT there is IMO right now.

CaptainKickass
11-20-2010, 01:55 PM
Wasn't there also some talk of Jenkins taking a few snaps as OLB in the offseason?