PDA

View Full Version : Great Article on Sam Shields

steve823
11-19-2010, 06:59 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81c3ef39/article/shields-making-name-for-himself-in-packers-secondary

Not sure if anyone posted it yet, if so I apologize.

What I really liked was "Sam is going to be one of the top corners in this league in two years." How could you not be excited about this guy. Sure we all talk about him here, but let's be realistic - we're all fans and most of us don't know anything about football compared to the coaches and assistant coaches in the NFL. So for Joe Whitt to say that really shows you the potential Shields has.

I think this guy has potential like Finley and Matthews when they came in the league.

Joemailman
11-19-2010, 07:25 PM
I remember Aaron Rodgers, about a week into training camp, asking about Shields "How did this guy not get drafted?" Tramon Williams made a similar immediate impact in 2007, intercepting Favre twice on the first day of camp. It's kind of amazing to think that the Packers may end up replacing 2 Pro Bowl CB's with 2 UDFA's who are nearly as good as the guys they replaced. Just goes to show that signing FA's is as much about scouting as it is about opening the teams wallet, although many will never be convinced of this.

Packgator
11-19-2010, 08:52 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81c3ef39/article/shields-making-name-for-himself-in-packers-secondary

What I really liked was "Sam is going to be one of the top corners in this league in two years." How could you not be excited about this guy. Sure we all talk about him here, but let's be realistic - we're all fans and most of us don't know anything about football compared to the coaches and assistant coaches in the NFL. So for Joe Whitt to say that really shows you the potential Shields has.

I think this guy has potential like Finley and Matthews when they came in the league.

"he had no idea how to watch film, learn defenses or prepare for games"

That doesn't say much for the Miami program.

KYPack
11-19-2010, 09:41 PM
I really thought Underwood would bust a move this season.

He hasn't done much since that brouhaha with the titty dancers at the golf outing.

retailguy
11-19-2010, 10:16 PM

He hasn't done much since that brouhaha with the titty dancers at the golf outing.

Maybe that was his "move"? ;)

wist43
11-19-2010, 10:27 PM
Shields certainly looks the part... let's hope he keeps it together, stays the course, and matures into a starting calibur NFL corner.

Guiness
11-20-2010, 12:49 AM
Remind me - why didn't he get drafted?

You're right though, at the first camp, everyone was raving about Tramon - I remember some posters here saying he was physically the best rookie corner that year, and he went undrafted!

channtheman
11-20-2010, 12:58 AM
Remind me - why didn't he get drafted?

You're right though, at the first camp, everyone was raving about Tramon - I remember some posters here saying he was physically the best rookie corner that year, and he went undrafted!

Remind me as well why he was undrafted.

vince
11-20-2010, 02:45 AM
As we've seen with his punt return efforts, Shields couldn't catch a cold as a receiver at Miami. His one year as a DB as a Senior was his first ever and he really didn't have any technique or produce much - totally raw. He also had a marijuana charge if I'm not mistaken may have taken him off some boards.

Can't answer about Tramon.

Fritz
11-20-2010, 08:37 AM
I really thought Underwood would bust this season.

Fixed.

pbmax
11-20-2010, 09:39 AM

I thought that line was Tony Danza.

Maybe McCarthy has a doghouse after all.

Brandon494
11-20-2010, 01:26 PM

He only played one season of CB at Miami. His first three years he played WR.

Smidgeon
11-20-2010, 01:36 PM

Or it says he was physically talented enough that he didn't need to study there. I think many players come in without knowing how to properly study. I remember an article about Collins (I think in his second or third year) where they were talking about how he sat down with Leroy Butler and talked about what it takes to become a great Packers safety. Then he started learning how to study from Woodson.

I don't think many players come in knowing how to study in the NFL. Kind of like going to grad school. The studying required there is on such a different level.

Smidgeon
11-20-2010, 01:37 PM

So did Mike "Neon" Hawkins.

CaptainKickass
11-20-2010, 03:04 PM
Well - all that and he's got a great last name to be playing on defense - Shields.

wootah
11-22-2010, 04:51 AM
I agree that on the college level many can get by on talent alone, but if you've seen the interviews with Shields, you know that from day 1 in GB he talked about constantly studying & quizzing with Burnett on schemes & responsabilities. He isn't the brightest of the bunch, but he wanted to become better and was willing to do what it takes & make the sacrifices. The anti-Underwood somewhat.

It seems like a missed opportunity from the Miami coaching staff IMO.

MichiganPackerFan
11-22-2010, 10:13 AM
Fuck TT for not going out and spending a lot of money on overpriced free agents near the end of their careers and having to rely on street free agents who perform well and have HUGE upside. What an asshole.

steve823
11-22-2010, 12:53 PM
Thought I would throw this out there:

The 70.6 percent of throws allowed in his direction by Sam Shields is the most of all rookies.

Pretty obvious he's still raw