PDA

View Full Version : Help for those uf us less savy about posting on this board

Patler
11-22-2010, 06:53 AM
PBMax and MJZiggy helped me with setting changes so I can use and position emoticons where I want them. Thanks!

I thought it might be a good idea to have a thread dedicated to asking questions, so some of us can use it as a resource for a while. Hopefully, we can come here to ask questions and have others supply answers! I, and I am sure others, would really appreciate it if those of you who are good at this stuff would come here and help us out!

I'll get it started with another question:

How do I quote a posting that has a quote in it, and have both quotes appear in my response?
I have used the "Multiquote this thread" button, but only the last post appears in my post. What am I doing wrong?

channtheman
11-22-2010, 07:30 AM
PBMax and MJZiggy helped me with setting changes so I can use and position emoticons where I want them. Thanks!

I thought it might be a good idea to have a thread dedicated to asking questions, so some of us can use it as a resource for a while. Hopefully, we can come here to ask questions and have others supply answers! I, and I am sure others, would really appreciate it if those of you who are good at this stuff would come here and help us out!

How do I quote a posting that has a quote in it, and have both quotes appear in my response?
I have used the "Multiquote this thread" button, but only the last post appears in my post. What am I doing wrong?

Someone else will have to correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that what you are talking about is how this new board works. When you hit quote, it only quotes the last post in the chain. It is kind of annoying because then it can be harder to follow the entire conversation. I originally wanted to have it back the old way as a joke (remember the "fuck" quote thread?), but now I want it back because it is just easier to follow conversations. I don't think there is anything you can do to change it, Joe would have to do something.

channtheman
11-22-2010, 07:31 AM

Someone else will have to correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that what you are talking about is how this new board works. When you hit quote, it only quotes the last post in the chain. It is kind of annoying because then it can be harder to follow the entire conversation. I originally wanted to have it back the old way as a joke (remember the "fuck" quote thread?), but now I want it back because it is just easier to follow conversations. I don't think there is anything you can do to change it, Joe would have to do something.

Hmmm, or you can click the multiquote button on each response you want to quote, and then click "reply with quote." It shows it like this though, which can still be a little confusing.

packerbacker1234
11-22-2010, 08:42 AM

Hmmm, or you can click the multiquote button on each response you want to quote, and then click "reply with quote." It shows it like this though, which can still be a little confusing.

See that little quote icon with the + by it in the bottom right hand corner? Click it. Select as many posts as you want and hit reply to thread. This works through multiple pages too so long as you don't change threads.

Patler
11-22-2010, 09:53 AM
See that little quote icon with the + by it in the bottom right hand corner? Click it. Select as many posts as you want and hit reply to thread. This works through multiple pages too so long as you don't change threads.

So if "B" quotes "A" the only way for me to have both in my reply is to select each original comment separately using the multi-quote function?
I can't quote the entire comment of "B", which included "A" in it?

channtheman
11-22-2010, 09:53 AM
So if "B" quotes "A" the only way for me to have both in my reply is to select each original comment separately using the multi-quote function?

Not like you used to, no.

Patler
11-22-2010, 11:33 AM
Is the "Garbage Can" open for business? It doesn't show any threads for me, even though the front page indicates it has them.

pbmax
11-22-2010, 12:01 PM
Garbage Can has a specific set of permissions, according to Zool who seems familiar with this software package. But the user group with correct permissions to use the GC has not been setup (or made publicly available) so I think it appears that way to everyone at the moment. It instructs you to join the User Group, but none are available.

Patler
11-22-2010, 12:05 PM
Garbage Can has a specific set of permissions, according to Zool who seems familiar with this software package. But the user group with correct permissions to use the GC has not been setup (or made publicly available) so I think it appears that way to everyone at the moment. It instructs you to join the User Group, but none are available.

So I shouldn't feel left out then?! :lol:

pbmax
11-22-2010, 12:07 PM
To enable Emoticons:

Click on settings in upper right of screen. Then in left frame, scroll down until you see General Settings. Click on it.

Scroll through looking for "Miscellaneous Options". Change editor settings from basic to Standard or Advanced. Save. Either setting gives you additional options when posting, including the usual PackerRat enoticons.

Then when you post:

Click the "Go Advanced" button next to the "Post Quick Reply" button and the smilies are available there.

Use the ones :drma:in the right column and you can click & drag them where you want them.

pbmax
11-22-2010, 12:08 PM
So I shouldn't feel left out then?! :lol:

Nope. But I am worried about Skinbasket's ability to tolerate the absence of that thread.

vince
11-22-2010, 12:11 PM
I can see and get into the GC without a problem, but that and the Packers forums are the only ones I can see. Is there anything I can do to access the other forums - not taht I even go to them, but I might want to some time...

HowardRoark
11-22-2010, 01:31 PM
Does anyone know how to get Bossman's avatar to show up clearer?

swede
11-22-2010, 02:56 PM
...I am worried about Skinbasket's ability to tolerate the absence of that thread.
Skinbasket is more resilient than you'd think. It's not like he'd up and move to..oh...I don't know...say--Cincinnati--over a small thing like the Garbage Can being closed.

Iron Mike
11-22-2010, 07:04 PM
Can somebody make my rat greener?? And give it yellow teeth.....

HowardRoark
11-22-2010, 07:12 PM
"Big Cheese"/"Forum"???? What's the difference?

Little Whiskey
11-22-2010, 08:49 PM
how can you tell a post is new in a thread? in the old forum it used to have yellow or orange dot next to it.

SkinBasket
11-22-2010, 09:10 PM
So now instead of a glorious multi-quote fuck-box, we just get a fuck-list?

Downgrade.

MJZiggy
11-22-2010, 09:15 PM

But can you quote it manually?

Well, not very well. Are we using different coding?

MichiganPackerFan
11-23-2010, 08:47 AM
how can you tell a post is new in a thread? in the old forum it used to have yellow or orange dot next to it.

I never noticed that in the old forum. I just ctrl+shift+ click on the blue circle double arrow icon next to the thread title and it takes me to the oldest unread post in the thread in a new window...

MJZiggy
11-23-2010, 09:17 PM
Can we get a sticky on this for a little while? There's some good information sharing here.

superfan
11-24-2010, 06:56 PM
Props to Patler for the subtle misspellings of "of" and "savvy". Nice job sir.

Patler
11-24-2010, 08:10 PM
Props to Patler for the subtle misspellings of "of" and "savvy". Nice job sir.

:oops: :oops:

Yup, intentional on my part. Congrats for catching it. Had nothing to do with my crappy typing ability, nothing at all. :wink: :whist:

pbmax
11-26-2010, 09:16 PM

Two ways I have noticed. Bold thread topic means new post. Double arrows pointing down in blue circle mean take me to first new post. This button appears to the immediate left of the Thread Title.

MJZiggy
11-27-2010, 09:10 AM
Thanks, Joe.

Joemailman
11-27-2010, 11:58 AM
Can someone explain to me how to change my avatar?

retailguy
11-27-2010, 07:41 PM
Can someone explain to me how to change my avatar?

Sure. Click on settings, then about halfway down the page click on "edit avatar". Then, in the second section, you'll see a spot to upload a custom avatar.

Hope that helps.

Joemailman
11-27-2010, 10:44 PM
Sure. Click on settings, then about halfway down the page click on "edit avatar". Then, in the second section, you'll see a spot to upload a custom avatar.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for trying to help, but I don't think I'm seeing on my computer what you're seeing on yours. When I click on Edit Avatar, I get a large image of my current avatar which takes up most of the screen. Below it I have the option of clicking on "Save Changes" or "Reset Fields", but no section where I can upload anything.

MJZiggy
11-27-2010, 11:00 PM
Click on reset fields and see what you get.

Joemailman
11-27-2010, 11:03 PM
Click on reset fields and see what you get.

I've tried that. Nothing happens.

Joe
11-28-2010, 09:33 AM
I went back and checked again. I see nothing different in your profile compared to anyone elses. I went back to the old forum and dug up the last avatar you were using and changed to that.

Use retailguys instructions and see if you see the change avatar selection now. If you don't, I may have to log in as you to see what you're seeing. Everything from my end indicates that you should be able to see the change avatar section on the profile page. Send me an email with a password I can use, but make sure you can see the change password function first so you can change it back when I'm done.

Joe
11-30-2010, 12:40 PM
Private Messages -

Those of you having difficulty sending them, it is most likely that your inbox and sent messages box are full. phpbb would drop off the oldest message when your box got full. vbulletin stops sending messages until you empty it.

I'll give a bit more storage space, from 50 messages to 100, but you'll have to do the housekeeping from there!

HowardRoark
12-05-2010, 08:36 AM
Does this new forum allow for searching old threads? I can’t seem to find the function…..anyway, I remember someone (Patler?) posted a good article back in summer about a long shot lineman who made the team. Was that Nick McDonald? Here is a nice follow up to that story:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/111306179.html

MJZiggy
12-05-2010, 09:37 AM
Does this new forum allow for searching old threads? I can’t seem to find the function…..anyway, I remember someone (Patler?) posted a good article back in summer about a long shot lineman who made the team. Was that Nick McDonald? Here is a nice follow up to that story:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/111306179.html

If you look on the right hand side just above the first thread on the list, there are two drop down menus: thread functions and search threads. You can search there or use the box in the green bar at the top of the page.

MichiganPackerFan
12-07-2010, 12:50 PM
How do you code it so that you can input a chart and the numbers remain in columns?

pbmax
12-07-2010, 05:13 PM
How do you code it so that you can input a chart and the numbers remain in columns?

There are three basic options.

When you reply (or start a thread) click Go Advanced to get access to all features and then either

1. Use the CODE tag (symbol is # in the icon bar) to make everything into the default monospaced font on the board. So this:

Comp Atts
Rodgers 23 38

becomes:

Comp Atts
Rodgers 23 38

2. Same advanced options let you define a font and size. Use a monspaced one like Courier or Lucida, but you will need to use a spacing character like a period. The software and the browser will treat mutiple spaces like one space.

..........Comp...Atts
Rodgers.....23.....38

..........Comp...Atts
Rodgers.....23.....38

3. Or cheat. Put your figures into Excel, Numbers, Open Office, whatever OR just open the webpage with the info you need and hit ALT-PRTSCR. Paste into Paint, save as PNG file. Open a photobucket account, upload the image and then link to it in the post. Easiest of all after you have the photobucket (or Flickr) account.

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k75/paisans_2006/PackerD09-10.png

MichiganPackerFan
12-08-2010, 08:20 AM
There are three basic options.

When you reply (or start a thread) click Go Advanced to get access to all features and then either

1. Use the CODE tag (symbol is # in the icon bar) to make everything into the default monospaced font on the board. So this:

Comp Atts
Rodgers 23 38

becomes:

Comp Atts
Rodgers 23 38

Thanks PB, pdf'ed and saved for future reference.