PDA

View Full Version : Zombo and Jones in worst 10 pass rushing linebackers

steve823
11-22-2010, 11:55 AM
http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2010/11/19/pass-rushing-productivity-whos-making-the-most-of-their-opportunities/

Interesting article. Obviously Matthews is near the top, but Jones and Zombo were both among the top 10 worst pass rushing linebackers. Shows you how much we depend on Clay.

HarveyWallbangers
11-22-2010, 12:00 PM
Jones, when healthy, is an upgrade on Zombo. Zombo has been solid against the run, but he gives you little in pass rush and coverage. He's the weakest link on defense.

vince
11-22-2010, 12:07 PM
Zombo's not good in space. The lead-footed Gearhart juked him pretty easily yesterday. That kind of limits what you can do on his side of the field.

mmmdk
11-22-2010, 12:28 PM
Zombo's not good in space. The lead-footed Gearhart juked him pretty easily yesterday. That kind of limits what you can do on his side of the field.

Damnit! Zombo is such a great football name. I want Zombo to do well.

billy_oliver880
11-22-2010, 03:40 PM
Cullen Jenkins is among the top 10 in interior linemen. Could be a product of clay getting so much attention.

steve823
11-22-2010, 03:49 PM
Cullen Jenkins is among the top 10 in interior linemen. Could be a product of clay getting so much attention.

Yea that sure helps, but he has talent. Even before we drafted Clay, Jenkins was a beast (when healthy of course). I remember yesterday against the Vikings, Jenkins destroyed a double team to get to Peterson. The guy is scary without a cast on. I'm really hoping the Packers lock him up.

gbpackfan
11-22-2010, 04:02 PM
I watched Zombo a lot on Sunday. The first quarter, he was brutal. The rest of the game, he was actually pretty darn good against the run. He offers NOTHING as a pass rusher though. His pass rush is almost embarassing. We need another rush OLB.

Lurker64
11-22-2010, 04:20 PM
I wouldn't be opposed to drafting 2-3 OLB prospects, at least one in the first three rounds.

Bossman641
11-22-2010, 04:22 PM
A more dynamic player opposite CM3 would make this defense scary good. I'm just hoping Capers can continue to hide Zombo's weaknesses and that he doesn't get exposed the way Jones did late last year.

RashanGary
11-22-2010, 05:02 PM
With the way Bulaga and Shields have played OLB is our position of greatest need.

OLB
RB
OT

That's how I'd rank it.

bobblehead
11-22-2010, 05:08 PM
A more dynamic player opposite CM3 would make this defense scary good. I'm just hoping Capers can continue to hide Zombo's weaknesses and that he doesn't get exposed the way Jones did late last year.

You mean late in the year when he got his 4 sacks??

Bossman641
11-22-2010, 05:15 PM
You mean late in the year when he got his 4 sacks??

I mean in the Arizona game, although that was an overall team effort.

steve823
11-22-2010, 05:28 PM
I been saying we need another OLB for a while. The great thing is 3-4 OLB can be found later in the draft. Sure spending a high pick might pay off ( look at Matthews ), but if there's a good player up there we can grab them and wait until later for the OLB. Steelers have been notorious for finding great 3-4 pass rushing OLB's in the later parts of the draft, if I'm not mistaken.

3irty1
11-22-2010, 06:03 PM
Another pass rusher is a top priority in my opinion as well but not necessarily a top draft pick just somebody to platoon with Jones. When we are in the 3-4, we need a versatile guy opposite of Clay who can cover, play the run, and occasionally blitz. I like Jones in this position.

In the 2-4 Nickel we need a OLB opposite Clay who can rush the passer. A 260lb or 270lb DE converted to OLB would be great in this look. With how often we are in Nickel, this "situational pass rusher" should see 2x more playing time than Brad Jones and would free Jones up for special teams where he is an ace.