PDA

View Full Version : VY out for year

Guiness
11-22-2010, 08:56 PM
Surgery on his throwing hand.

Ya, I know, this is 'non-news'.

SkinBasket
11-22-2010, 09:05 PM
Partial would argue that this, more than anything, makes him a game-changer.

Lurker64
11-22-2010, 10:18 PM
Partial would argue that this, more than anything, makes him a game-changer.

If he comes back from this career threatening thumb/brain injury, it will be just more proof of his leadership, intangibles, and commitment to excellence.

channtheman
11-22-2010, 10:33 PM
Vince Young is better than Aaron Rodgers.

Scott Campbell
11-22-2010, 10:48 PM
Whatever "it" was, he seems to have lost "it".

MichiganPackerFan
11-23-2010, 08:50 AM
I hope the Vikings get him next year.

Cheesehead Craig
11-23-2010, 09:03 AM
What a wasted high pick for TN. They'll be lucky to get a 5th rounder for him.

channtheman
11-23-2010, 09:13 AM
Remember that year? Jay Cutler, Vince Young, and Matt Leinart. The year of the quarterback! Maybe not. :S

K-town
11-23-2010, 09:59 AM
Don't forget the wasted top 10 pick on Pacman Jones, prior to the VY pick in '06.

sheepshead
11-23-2010, 10:19 AM
I was never sold on this USC group at all. reminds me of Michigans fab 5 in a lot of ways. I would have steered clear myself.

Other than that two words: Rookie Cap!

Guiness
11-23-2010, 10:58 AM
What a wasted high pick for TN. They'll be lucky to get a 5th rounder for him.

You're kidding, right? A 5th rounder?

Honestly, I'd be surprised if they could wangle that. Like most (all?) failed top QB prospects, they just get released.

Looking at first round QB failures over a couple of years; Couch, Akili Smith, and Carr were all released. Boller and Grossmand were not resigned. Others, McNown (traded for a 6th and a conditional 7th), Harrington (6th round), Patrick Ramsey (6th round) were pretty much given away.

Nobody wants another teams QB retreads, so I can't see Tenn even getting a 6th rounder for him.

hoosier
11-24-2010, 06:22 AM

Honestly, I'd be surprised if they could wangle that. Like most (all?) failed top QB prospects, they just get released.

Looking at first round QB failures over a couple of years; Couch, Akili Smith, and Carr were all released. Boller and Grossmand were not resigned. Others, McNown (traded for a 6th and a conditional 7th), Harrington (6th round), Patrick Ramsey (6th round) were pretty much given away.

Nobody wants another teams QB retreads, so I can't see Tenn even getting a 6th rounder for him.

The only difference is that Young was actually having a good year before he melted down. It sounds like his behavior after the most recent injury has been downright irrational, and I would be surprised if the Titans aren't pushing him to get evaluated for some kind of personality disorder.

Fritz
11-24-2010, 08:28 AM
That was one crappy top-of-the-draft draft. Wasn't Reggie's Bush in that draft too?

If I remember correctly, the buzz was that TT was very impressed with Young and made some overtures to trade up. Who knows if that's true, though.

The alternative-to-Hawk that many fans wanted was Vernon Davis. I don't know how he's doing now, but I haven't heard a lot of buzz from SF, so you wonder if any of the top players (does Ngata really count, taken, what, 13th?) panned out very well. Maybe Mario Williams? Maybe? Maybe TheBrickIsAll Ferguson? Donte Whitner's good, but not great. Ernie Sims - now AJ Hawk is better than he is. Mikey Huff blew.

Crappy class right there.

channtheman
11-24-2010, 10:27 AM
That was one crappy top-of-the-draft draft. Wasn't Reggie's Bush in that draft too?

If I remember correctly, the buzz was that TT was very impressed with Young and made some overtures to trade up. Who knows if that's true, though.

The alternative-to-Hawk that many fans wanted was Vernon Davis. I don't know how he's doing now, but I haven't heard a lot of buzz from SF, so you wonder if any of the top players (does Ngata really count, taken, what, 13th?) panned out very well. Maybe Mario Williams? Maybe? Maybe TheBrickIsAll Ferguson? Donte Whitner's good, but not great. Ernie Sims - now AJ Hawk is better than he is. Mikey Huff blew.

Wow. We may have gotten the best player out of that bunch. Maybe Mario Williams would have been good but isn't he a 4-3 defensive end? It is shocking to think how many are upset with Hawk (me included) but really, there is nothing there that is better.

Cheesehead Craig
11-24-2010, 11:21 AM

I did say lucky to get a 5th rounder for him, besides there's not really much difference between a 5th and 6th is there?

Those QBs were junk on the field though. Young at least has shown something. I'm sure some team will take a flyer on him in hopes they can get his head on straight.

Patler
11-24-2010, 11:26 AM
Wow. We may have gotten the best player out of that bunch. Maybe Mario Williams would have been good but isn't he a 4-3 defensive end? It is shocking to think how many are upset with Hawk (me included) but really, there is nothing there that is better.

Ya, it sucks to be so bad that you get the #5 pick, but at least you hope to get a future perennial all-pro from it. A guy you can build around. When you don't, and really didn't miss even as badly as others picking around you, it seems like a huge waste.

Maybe we can all make ourselves feel better by pretending Hawk was drafted in '05 at #24 and Rodgers was picked in '06 at #5. We would probably think each is doing well for where they were picked!

Lurker64
11-24-2010, 11:44 AM

It was an amazingly hyped draft class, and turned out to be surprisingly awful. Still, Ngata is one of the best players in the NFL at any position. You do that draft again and teams are fighting to trade up to #1 to get him. If I had a time machine, I would go back to February 2006 to tell Thompson to take Ngata and also to invest in certain stocks and bet on certain sporting events.

Guiness
11-25-2010, 02:41 PM
Ya, it sucks to be so bad that you get the #5 pick, but at least you hope to get a future perennial all-pro from it. A guy you can build around. When you don't, and really didn't miss even as badly as others picking around you, it seems like a huge waste.

At least you hope to get a perennial all-pro? Not setting the bar too high, are you? I would guess that there are maybe a couple of guys every year from the top 10 who become all-pros.

With how the rest of that draft class turned out, it seems we did pretty well, even before Hawk's improvement this year. I'd sure rather have him than, say, Gholston!

Maybe we can all make ourselves feel better by pretending Hawk was drafted in '05 at #24 and Rodgers was picked in '06 at #5. We would probably think each is doing well for where they were picked![/QUOTE]

That's pretty funny, and you're right, a lot of the conversations about Hawk would not take place if that were the case!

Patler
11-25-2010, 07:44 PM
At least you hope to get a perennial all-pro? Not setting the bar too high, are you? I would guess that there are maybe a couple of guys every year from the top 10 who become all-pros.

Did you not see the word "hope"? :lol:

Seriously, picking at #5 I had very strong hope we would get an all pro. Somebody like Mathews, for example. Not that I expected it to happen, but certainly a lot more hope than picking at #24, for example! Heck only four guys are off the board when you pick! :lol:

Guiness
11-25-2010, 08:44 PM
Did you not see the word "hope"? :lol:

Seriously, picking at #5 I had very strong hope we would get an all pro. Somebody like Mathews, for example. Not that I expected it to happen, but certainly a lot more hope than picking at #24, for example! Heck only four guys are off the board when you pick! :lol:

Ok, I get you, hope is a rather 'grey' word as far an meaning. You can hope to win the lottery (no bloody likely) or when you're hungry, you can hope like hell there's an empty table at Applebee's (pretty good chance). I read your use as being closer to the 2nd, was probably wrong.

btw sorry about messing up quoting your post - there's text from you in the body of my reply.

ThunderDan
11-25-2010, 09:59 PM
Ok, I get you, hope is a rather 'grey' word as far an meaning. You can hope to win the lottery (no bloody likely) or when you're hungry, you can hope like hell there's an empty table at Applebee's (pretty good chance). I read your use as being closer to the 2nd, was probably wrong.

btw sorry about messing up quoting your post - there's text from you in the body of my reply.

You won't have to wait for Mr. Longwell's table at Applebee's!

Pugger
11-26-2010, 07:12 AM
Vince Young is better than Aaron Rodgers.

Physically? Yes. Mentally and emotionally? No way, and this is why Young will probably never be the QB he could be given his athletic prowess. Its a shame all of his talent is from the neck down.

Little Whiskey
11-26-2010, 07:19 AM
Physically? Yes. Mentally and emotionally? No way, and this is why Young will probably never be the QB he could be given his athletic prowess. Its a shame all of his talent is from the neck down.

based on what? his college play?

if you can mentally and emotionally showcase your physical abilities.........you are not better in any of the catagories.

Tony Oday
11-26-2010, 09:29 AM
based on what? his college play?

if you can mentally and emotionally showcase your physical abilities.........you are not better in any of the catagories.

bahahaah VY is a bust ala Ryan Leaf...AR is a stud ala Steve Young

pbmax
11-26-2010, 09:37 AM
I was never sold on this USC group at all. reminds me of Michigans fab 5 in a lot of ways. I would have steered clear myself.

Other than that two words: Rookie Cap!

You mean Chris Weber and the near Hall of Fame career? Or Jalen Rose and the 13 year career that included starting on an NBA finals team coached by Larry Bird and averaged 25 ppg in a playoff series?

Those two colossal busts remind you of Matt Leinart and Reggie Bush?

:roll:

pbmax
11-26-2010, 09:40 AM

I think chann was channeling Partial on that post. Taking his cue from Skin above him.

channtheman
11-26-2010, 09:52 AM
I think chann was channeling Partial on that post. Taking his cue from Skin above him.

+1

Fritz
11-26-2010, 06:12 PM
It was an amazingly hyped draft class, and turned out to be surprisingly awful. Still, Ngata is one of the best players in the NFL at any position. You do that draft again and teams are fighting to trade up to #1 to get him. If I had a time machine, I would go back to February 2006 to tell Thompson to take Ngata and also to invest in certain stocks and bet on certain sporting events.

I would also go back and tell Ted not to suck Favre's butt after the '07 season, because in the long run it wouldn't pay off...

Oh, wait. He did that already.

Go Ted!!!