PDA

View Full Version : JSO story about Ryan Grant and a boy with leukemia

Badgerinmaine
11-24-2010, 08:48 AM
I couldn't read this story without feeling tears in my eyes and without counting my blessings. God bless Ryan Grant and the Luxem family.
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/110261689.html

channtheman
11-24-2010, 11:04 AM
Wow. Truly a sad story. It does put life into perspective. :(

Badgerinmaine
11-24-2010, 11:40 AM
It certainly is a sad story, but I do think it is wonderful that Ryan Grant could do so much for the little boy. It gave me yet another reason to be proud of the Packers.

ND72
11-24-2010, 11:44 AM
What a horribly great story. I'm still shedding tears. I found out this morning that my wife & I will be having a daughter for our first child, which probably makes me a little more emotional right now...I just pray I don't have to experience anythign the Luxem family has had to go through. I love seeing the stories of all the things our Packer players do to reach out to our communities. It's a story that has a long beginning, and a never ending finish.

pbmax
11-24-2010, 11:53 AM
Congratulations ND on the impending fatherhood. Its an experience like no other.

Badgerinmaine
11-24-2010, 11:53 AM
Congratulations, ND72! I pray that everything goes well for you and your wife. (By the way, I never noticed you live in PdC before...my sister and her family live in Lancaster, the next county seat south of you).
I think it's important to realize what we have to be thankful for in our lives, and to know what good things are being done out in the world. Crushingly sad as this story is, it does both.

HarveyWallbangers
11-24-2010, 12:34 PM
Congrats!

ND72
11-24-2010, 01:25 PM
I really didn't mean to take away the importance of this story by sharing my impending fatherhood....but thanks!

MJZiggy
11-24-2010, 09:16 PM
That was a very nicely written story. He'd be about my son's age.

Congrats ND. Parenthood is an amazing thing as you're already finding out.

digitaldean
11-24-2010, 10:31 PM
Heard about this story on local GB radio this morning. It is truly a touching story. As if the Luxems aren't going through enough, they now have damage to their home from a tornado that went through this week. It's gutwrenching enough with having your child being terminally ill, the tornado seems like piling on.
Great to see Grant be willing to bring some happiness this little one's life. Yes, football is a cold hearted business when you get down to it, but there are some great individuals that make up this team. Class act.

ThunderDan
11-25-2010, 12:28 PM
Our son was born 8 weeks early at 2 lbs 12 oz, that was a tough way to bring a little guy into the world! We didn't get to take him home for over 6 weeks and the first few days were touch and go both for the baby and my wife with medical complications.

I can't even imagine what this family is going through. They will be in my prayers.

Jimx29
11-25-2010, 09:45 PM
damn.....odd how life can suck and be great at the same time

ND....get your sleep now while ya can ;)

Joemailman
12-30-2010, 05:25 PM
Ryan Luxem passed away Wednesday from leukemia.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/112678249.html

digitaldean
12-30-2010, 05:32 PM
Sad day and my condolences for the Luxem family. Just read it before coming here. The little guy exuded a lot of courage for what he faced.

Fortunate to have 3 healthy kids. Enjoy your time with them regardless, the time you have with them is short.

packerbacker1234
12-30-2010, 06:15 PM
I'm just glad the packer's continue to know the right type of players needed to play on this team, both on and off the field. Grant is another stand up individual that fits the packer mold perfectly. Hard worker, not the best at what he does but never satisfied and always gives it his all (ala Rodgers, Kampman, Matthews, Woodson, Harris, Driver... etc), and most importantly he cares about people. I am sure this is an experience that Ryan Grant will personally never forget, and I am sure he shed more than a few tears yesterday when he was told the news.

It's a really sad story, but at the same time it just shows the type of person Ryan Grant really is, and honestly, I am proud that he is our starting running back.

mraynrand
12-30-2010, 08:19 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esjec0JWEXU&feature=related