PDA

View Full Version : Maddenisms

Chester Marcol
08-07-2006, 12:02 PM
I know I wasn't the only person shaking my head last night as the genius known as Madden spewed his usual gems. Is it worthy of a thread to collect everyone's favorites as the season progresses? Debate whether you are pro or anti Madden? Maybe a cable channel dedicated to all things Madden. MaddenTV. Like last night, something along the lines of "if you had a group of good guys, Andy Reid would be right in there" or going on and on about the talking busts. Side note:There's something funny about a boob getting a bust.

ahaha
08-07-2006, 12:16 PM
This isn't really a favorite, but by far the most memorable: The butt sweat races of the Cowboys offensive linemen. Madden was actually circling and comparing the lengths of wetness on their sweaty fat rear ends. WOW! That's a strange perversion he has. Can you imagine if a commentator for the WNBA did that?

MadtownPacker
08-07-2006, 12:16 PM
How can anyone not like Madden? Hes watch doesnt run on time anymore but is he really any worse then the assklowns that come out on ESPN every night? I will take his BOOM over Stuart Scott's BOOYAH any day.

GBRulz
08-07-2006, 12:21 PM
I just wanna be circled....

CaptainKickass
08-07-2006, 01:34 PM
Madden is an astute observer and then regirgitator of the obvious.

"In order to win the game, you have to score touchdowns. And the only way to score a touchdown is to either run the ball or pass the ball."

:mrgreen: :D

TPF
08-07-2006, 02:45 PM
lol.

Murphy37
08-07-2006, 02:49 PM
Madden is a good egg................but his commentary makes me want to eat my own undershorts after a night of beer bongs and burritos. John "Captain Obvious" Madden's boring rants describing pro football for toddlers is hardly entertaining to me. Of coarse there is really not many out there that I do enjoy as far as TV commentaters go. My preference is to turn down the TV volume, and turn up the local boys on the radio. Larry Mac is the man.

TPF
08-07-2006, 02:50 PM
Al MIchaels isn't bad.

Murphy37
08-07-2006, 02:53 PM
Al MIchaels isn't bad.
Yeah Al is alright, and so are Aikman and Buck. Hell I would still prefer old Max Macgee drunk on Budweiser back in the day on my Packer Radio Network.

Bossman641
08-07-2006, 03:13 PM
Al MIchaels isn't bad.
Yeah Al is alright, and so are Aikman and Buck. Hell I would still prefer old Max Macgee drunk on Budweiser back in the day on my Packer Radio Network.

There's a quote in the Madden videogames that is something like "90 percent of the game is half mental" or something like that. I still haven't been able to figure it out.

Pretty much all anouncers suck these days.

MJZiggy
08-07-2006, 03:15 PM
I'm no Madden fan, but at least I have to give him credit for 2 things. 1. at least he wants to talk about football and what the players are doing instead of some stupid joke they have running up in the booth, and 2. at least he admitted that his bust would be annoying the hell out of all the other busts for all eternity. (that part was funny)

TPF
08-07-2006, 03:17 PM
Madden is annoying, but he means well.

Partial
08-07-2006, 03:53 PM
How can anyone not like Madden? Hes watch doesnt run on time anymore but is he really any worse then the assklowns that come out on ESPN every night? I will take his BOOM over Stuart Scott's BOOYAH any day.

You mess with S^2, you mess with me buddy.

Partial
08-07-2006, 03:54 PM
Al MIchaels isn't bad.

There's a quote in the Madden videogames that is something like "90 percent of the game is half mental" or something like that. I still haven't been able to figure it out.

I believe Woodbuck said that in an interview many moons ago :mrgreen:

ahaha
08-07-2006, 05:17 PM
[/quote]

There's a quote in the Madden videogames that is something like "90 percent of the game is half mental" or something like that. I still haven't been able to figure it out..[/quote]

That's a famous Yogi Berra line he stole.[/quote]

woodbuck27
08-07-2006, 05:18 PM
Al MIchaels isn't bad.

I believe Woodbuck said that in an interview many moons ago :mrgreen:

Hahahahahahahaha!! Your killing me Partial. :mrgreen: X100

I'm dieing here. :razz: :razz: :razz: Very funny !!!

woodbuck27
08-07-2006, 05:35 PM
To me John Madden is an institution to the NFL and American football similiar to what Yogi Berra is to baseball.

I grew up with hating the Yankees but I loved Yogi. I was "a Brave fan" - Big Time - and supported the Senior Circuit ( NL ) but Yogi berra was/remains to me very special. John Madden the same.

Madden is a pure character right out of a cartoonist's invention. He is so unreal he is wat too real as a sporting personality.We'l all be very sad when he's gone as he is such an icon to the NFL.

Get this, John Madden said it again:

"Coaches have to watch for what they don't want to see and listen to what they don't want to hear."
-- On Coaches And Coaching

The fewer rules a coach has, the fewer there are for a player to break.
-- On Rules

Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble.
-- On Self-praise

With all his tumid boasts, he's like the sword-fish, who only wears his weapon in his mouth.
-- On Speakers And Speaking

The only yardstick for success our society has is being a champion. No one remembers anything else
-- On Winners And Winning

John Madden

woodbuck27
08-08-2006, 12:09 PM
http://www.raiderslinks.com/Temp/madden.jpg

mraynrand
08-08-2006, 05:56 PM
I always got a kick out of Madden explaining the obvious, in great detail, and then having Pat Summerall say:

"That's exactly right"

Or Madden would endlessly talk about Emmit Smith "Emmit really knows how to find the hole (as the road grader O-line opened up a gap big enough for a Ford Super-Duty) - he's patient and waits for that hole to open up BOOM, he's into the secondary!"

Then Summerall would say:

"He found the hole"

chewy-bacca
08-08-2006, 06:33 PM
Hi guys, im new here...my first post :mrgreen:

To me, Madden is football commentary. Im 29 years old and he is the voice I grew up with. IMHO, he adds a lil comedy with the way he goes off on topics, to the point where they other guys dont know what to say. He brought us the 6 legged turkey, and the tur-duc-in!! Also, he LOVES green Bay and #4....he is a god among men.

Noodle
08-08-2006, 07:01 PM
Chew, good post, way to stand strong!

And welcome to the Show, my friend.

PlantPage55
08-08-2006, 08:32 PM
There was one night two years ago on Monday Night Football, where I think he started to doze off or something. He was going off on a rant, and then he started to tail off, and all these yellow dots started appearing on the screen. I thought to myself "SOMEONE TAKE THAT PEN AWAY FROM HIM!"

HA HA, he's great though...he's like a kooky old grandpa!

HarveyWallbangers
08-08-2006, 10:32 PM
Madden loves Green Bay. I saw him get off his bus at Lambeau and opened up a grill behind the bus and was eating brats. I also saw him at Manny's Steakhouse in Minneapolis (eating a huge steak), and he loves being John Madden--which is cool.

GrnBay007
08-08-2006, 10:35 PM
He's a Good Ole Boy. I like him. :D

Row 67
08-08-2006, 11:00 PM
Almost all announcers are stupid.

Best game I ever watched was when I lived in Cali and the bar I was in got the satellite feed was broken down between audio and video. They couldn't get the audio from the booth, but they got the audio from the field. It was sweet! You could hear the field sounds. They picked up some of the sideline conversations, the players calling out audibles, etc.

Having announcers covers up the real part of the game.

woodbuck27
08-08-2006, 11:29 PM
Hi guys, im new here...my first post :mrgreen:

To me, Madden is football commentary. Im 29 years old and he is the voice I grew up with. IMHO, he adds a lil comedy with the way he goes off on topics, to the point where they other guys dont know what to say. He brought us the 6 legged turkey, and the tur-duc-in!! Also, he LOVES green Bay and #4....he is a god among men.

How couldn't someone LOVE Big John Madden? Of course some don't.

Welcome to PACKERRATS chewy-bacca. :mrgreen:

GO PACKERS ! FAITH !!!

woodbuck27
08-10-2006, 03:37 PM
Madden loves Green Bay. I saw him get off his bus at Lambeau and opened up a grill behind the bus and was eating brats. I also saw him at Manny's Steakhouse in Minneapolis (eating a huge steak), and he loves being John Madden--which is cool.

This says it all:

http://www.raiderfans.net/forum/gallery/data/12010/368madden_hof.jpg

justanotherpackfan
08-10-2006, 03:48 PM
Seems like everybody is talking about how they despise Madden. http://forums.johnstonefitness.com/showthread.php?t=30183 I don't see what's wrong with the guy. Boomer and Aikman are my favorites but Madden isn't that bad.

pacfan
08-10-2006, 03:53 PM
Al MIchaels isn't bad.

Amen, Brother!!!

Chester Marcol
08-10-2006, 03:58 PM
He use to be one of my favorites when he was with Pat. I remember watching crappy games just cuz they were doing the game.

But lately it's closer to:

http://www.dailyhaha.com/_vids/Frank_Cliendo_John_Madden.htm

Homer Jay
08-10-2006, 04:03 PM
Madden can get to be a bit much, but, overall I like him. Wait til Monday nights when we get Tirico, Theismann and Kornheiser. I think this has a chance to be the worst broadcast crew in the history of sports.

Partial
08-10-2006, 04:27 PM
Madden can get to be a bit much, but, overall I like him. Wait til Monday nights when we get Tirico, Theismann and Kornheiser. I think this has a chance to be the worst broadcast crew in the history of sports.

Agreed, I do like kornheiser but I don't think i'll like him in this role. We'll have to wait and see though. They could surprise.

CaptainKickass
08-10-2006, 05:09 PM
There's one Madden quote I remember from 3-ish years ago. It was right after Favre threw a TD after one of his amazing scrambles to avoid the sack.

"That Brett Favre.......He is a football player..........and this is a football game!"

I'm not saying I don't like Madden as an announcer. I'm just saying that his commentary is sometimes so stupid that it's funny.

woodbuck27
08-10-2006, 05:49 PM
There's one Madden quote I remember from 3-ish years ago. It was right after Favre threw a TD after one of his amazing scrambles to avoid the sack.

"That Brett Favre.......He is a football player..........and this is a football game!"

I'm not saying I don't like Madden as an announcer. I'm just saying that his commentary is sometimes so stupid that it's funny.

Further evidence that John Madden is to Football what Yogi Berra was to Baseball. Awesome people/characters that are bigger than LIFE. :mrgreen: