PDA

View Full Version : I wish the new forum did this *redux*

Guiness
11-26-2010, 11:21 AM
Do we want to try and re-start that ill-fated thread?

Here's my request:
Is it possible to put the navigation bar at the bottom of that page, as well as the top? I think it's the navigation bar - the series of links at the top of the page that let you move around in the forum.
(Forum->Big Cheese->Green Bay Packers-> Week 12 Other Games Thread)

Whenever I get to the end of a thread, I have to scroll back up to click the link going back to the main forum.

channtheman
11-26-2010, 11:29 AM
At the bottom of the last post in a thread on the right side there is "Quick Navigation." You can either select the forum from the drop down menu or you can click on "top" and it does what you want.

I wish the old way of quoting would come back, where when you quote someone it also includes any of their previous quotes. It makes it easier to follow a conversation.

Fred's Slacks
11-26-2010, 12:02 PM
I'm about to give up because this forumn is pretty much unreadable on my netbook. Every post has both up and down and left and right scroll bars. Even if its a one line post it has the scroll bars and the text area isn't big enough to even display the one line.

Fred's Slacks
11-26-2010, 05:03 PM
I'm about to give up because this forumn is pretty much unreadable on my netbook. Every post has both up and down and left and right scroll bars. Even if its a one line post it has the scroll bars and the text area isn't big enough to even display the one line.

Seems to be fixed now. Thank you!

Joe
11-26-2010, 07:38 PM
lets try this thread again and see if it works better this time.

Joe
11-26-2010, 07:38 PM
Seems to be fixed now. Thank you!

Not sure what I changed that fixed it, but GREAT!

Joe
11-26-2010, 07:39 PM
I wish the old way of quoting would come back, where when you quote someone it also includes any of their previous quotes. It makes it easier to follow a conversation.

I haven't figured out if this is possible, but I'm continuing to research.

Joe
11-26-2010, 07:40 PM
Do we want to try and re-start that ill-fated thread?

Here's my request:
Is it possible to put the navigation bar at the bottom of that page, as well as the top? I think it's the navigation bar - the series of links at the top of the page that let you move around in the forum.
(Forum->Big Cheese->Green Bay Packers-> Week 12 Other Games Thread)

Whenever I get to the end of a thread, I have to scroll back up to click the link going back to the main forum.

I use the "top" button and then select the forum navigation link. Thinking adding this must be possible and I'm sure in time I'll figure it out.

packers11
11-29-2010, 12:12 PM
longer threads... I feel like I have to hit the 'next page' button a lot more often

Joemailman
11-29-2010, 12:21 PM
longer threads... I feel like I have to hit the 'next page' button a lot more often

You are probably set up for 10 posts per page. Click Settings/Under My Account click General Settings/Under Thread Display Options you can select as many as 40 posts per page.

packers11
11-29-2010, 12:38 PM
You are probably set up for 10 posts per page. Click Settings/Under My Account click General Settings/Under Thread Display Options you can select as many as 40 posts per page.

thanks so much... 10x better!!!

Guiness
11-30-2010, 07:03 PM
Nah, I still want that navigation bar at the bottom. Easier to click on the link than to have to look through a drop down list.

Joe
11-30-2010, 09:15 PM
I went to add my annual Christmas sig and it will only allow 50 characters? WTF? Can that be reset somehow?

I moved the limit to 125 characters.

I also added the ability to have images in signatures. 50 pixels high and 500 pixels wide. I'll adjust if that's too big. We don't want them to look stupid.

Joe
11-30-2010, 09:16 PM
Nah, I still want that navigation bar at the bottom. Easier to click on the link than to have to look through a drop down list.

This is not supported by the software. I have to manually update, and then manually update every time the software gets updated. Haven't ruled this out yet, but looks to be a total PITA.

Still researching.

Jimx29
12-01-2010, 12:30 AM
Put the "who's online" at the bottom or top of the separate forums, not just at the main page.

Adjust the color scheme for the reply area(s). I have to almost close my laptop before I can tell where the area is to put in the topic and/or replies.

Don't have the quick reply for the default replies.

3irty1
12-03-2010, 12:03 PM
What determines if something shows up on the frontpage?

Joemailman
12-03-2010, 05:23 PM
Allow signatures to be more than 125 characters.

Joe
12-03-2010, 05:35 PM
Allow signatures to be more than 125 characters.

Why, you writing a book?

Joemailman
12-03-2010, 05:55 PM
I like long-winded pretentious quotes. Old site allowed 325. Just sayin'. :wink:

Joe
12-03-2010, 06:06 PM
I like long-winded pretentious quotes. Old site allowed 325. Just sayin'. :wink:

Maybe at some point, but can't now. One of the biggest complaints is the length of the post window. Until I figure out how to shorten that, I've gotta shorten something.

Joe
12-03-2010, 06:08 PM
What determines if something shows up on the frontpage?

Not what. Who. Me. I promote posts to articles if I like them and think they have merit. Please understand "like" does not mean agree necessarily. Just well stated, well thought out, and logical.

SkinBasket
12-04-2010, 08:11 AM
Not what. Who. Me. I promote posts to articles if I like them and think they have merit. Please understand "like" does not mean agree necessarily. Just well stated, well thought out, and logical.

So the difficult and elusive solution to having GC posts on the front page is that you don't put them there?

SkinBasket
12-04-2010, 08:14 AM
Oh hey, another thing that sucks ass: When you reply with a quote, that obnoxious "+Reply to Thread" button moves directly under the reply box. Which means half the time I click that instead of the tiny unassuming "Post Quick Reply" button that would actually post my response. Instead, I'm taken to a fresh reply box and everything is wiped out. Kill that fucking ugly button or at least keep it above the reply box.

gbgary
12-04-2010, 12:59 PM
more than 150 stinking characters allowed in the sig.

pbmax
12-04-2010, 01:03 PM
Oh hey, another thing that sucks ass: When you reply with a quote, that obnoxious "+Reply to Thread" button moves directly under the reply box. Which means half the time I click that instead of the tiny unassuming "Post Quick Reply" button that would actually post my response. Instead, I'm taken to a fresh reply box and everything is wiped out. Kill that fucking ugly button or at least keep it above the reply box.

Can you walk through that step by step? I just hit Reply With Quote to your post and the + Reply to Thread button doesn't move (its always at the top and bottom of the post list). And Post Quick Reply is where it always is for me. Maybe its the browser (Firefox here)?

pbmax
12-04-2010, 01:04 PM
While this won't reduce the default size of the post space, you could reduce the font size of the Quote and Signature text. They are larger than the post text by quite a bit.

Joe
12-04-2010, 03:04 PM
So the difficult and elusive solution to having GC posts on the front page is that you don't put them there?

Sorry great Satan. Let me be more clear. All forum posts show up on the right under the section "recent forum posts". I can promote posts to articles if I choose. Those articles appear both in the middle of the front page, and in the section on the left.

HowardRoark
12-04-2010, 07:41 PM
Until I figure out how to shorten that, I've gotta shorten something.

Deanna must have said something similar back in the 90s.

HowardRoark
12-04-2010, 07:42 PM
Put the "who's online" at the bottom or top of the separate forums, not just at the main page.

Agree. It 's nice to know what asshat is lurking around FYI.

Joemailman
12-04-2010, 07:52 PM
Can you walk through that step by step? I just hit Reply With Quote to your post and the + Reply to Thread button doesn't move (its always at the top and bottom of the post list). And Post Quick Reply is where it always is for me. Maybe its the browser (Firefox here)?

I think Skin is using some cheap computer that Partial gave him.

retailguy
12-04-2010, 11:31 PM
I think Skin is using some cheap computer that Partial gave him.

Skin is using a mac?

Patler
12-04-2010, 11:43 PM

That has happened to me more times than I care to remember. When I lose my original post that way, I usually say heck with it and don't bother to redo it.

pbmax
12-05-2010, 08:54 AM
That has happened to me more times than I care to remember. When I lose my original post that way, I usually say heck with it and don't bother to redo it.

Which browser?

Patler
12-05-2010, 09:19 AM
Which browser?

Firefox. But looking at it now as I post this, the problem seems to be that the "Post Quick Reply", "Go Advanced" and "Cancel" buttons are quite small, relatively inconspicuous buttons of off-white on the right beneath the box I am typing in, and the "+Reply to Thread" is a much larger, very bold green button on the left beneath the box. Your attention is drawn to the green button with its vivid color and much larger text. Click it, and your reply is lost with a new reply box provided. Paging back in the browser does not restore it.

pbmax
12-05-2010, 09:33 AM
I can see that. The background in the text entry windows is very close the site background and from certain angles, it all blurs together. And then the Post Quick Reply is another close shade.

Perhaps the text of the big Green button could be changed to read "New Reply to Thread". One thing that does help is that now when you reply to something that is not the last post on the page, the entry box stays right beneath the message to which you are replying. So I often do not even see the Reply to Thread button.

Patler
12-05-2010, 09:39 AM
Yes. The problem seems to be only when replying to the last message. Otherwise the green button remains on the bottom of the page.

MJZiggy
12-05-2010, 09:39 AM
I can see that. The background in the text entry windows is very close the site background and from certain angles, it all blurs together. And then the Post Quick Reply is another close shade.

Perhaps the text of the big Green button could be changed to read "New Reply to Thread". One thing that does help is that now when you reply to something that is not the last post on the page, the entry box stays right beneath the message to which you are replying. So I often do not even see the Reply to Thread button.

Might it help to swap the colors on the buttons? The Reply to Thread button being the blue at the bottom of the page and the Quick Reply buttons in green?

Patler
12-05-2010, 09:43 AM
If I would get in the habit of using the "Quick Reply" box that is already there, the green button is above the box and not as much of an issue. It moves below the box if you click "Reply" on the last message of the thread. With some training maybe I can get over this, but you know the saying about old dogs! :lol:

pbmax
12-05-2010, 09:48 AM
If I would get in the habit of using the "Quick Reply" box that is already there, the green button is above the box and not as much of an issue. It moves below the box if you click "Reply" on the last message of the thread. With some training maybe I can get over this, but you know the saying about old dogs! :lol:

Great catch. Now I understand what Skin was talking about. In fact, its a function of that in-place reply feature I was talking about. You could just get slower at reviewing the thread so you are never replying to the last post. :)

MJZiggy
12-05-2010, 09:49 AM

They say you can teach one with a clicker. Do I need to send you one for Christmas?

Patler
12-05-2010, 10:16 AM
They say you can teach one with a clicker. Do I need to send you one for Christmas?

Does it come with a shock collar?

BTW - if you use the "Reply With Quote" feature, the problem remains.

MadScientist
12-07-2010, 04:11 PM
I wish this forum had a feature that would electrocute any spammers who post here.

SkinBasket
12-07-2010, 05:32 PM
I wish this forum had a feature that would electrocute any spammers who post here.

And spermers.

SkinBasket
12-09-2010, 03:09 PM
Sorry great Satan. Let me be more clear. All forum posts show up on the right under the section "recent forum posts". I can promote posts to articles if I choose. Those articles appear both in the middle of the front page, and in the section on the left.

How about removing the "recent forum posts" module from the front page and just sticking with those threads which you promote to legendary "article status" for the main page. There's plenty of shit outside of the GC that you probably don't want on the front page. Like any time madtown feels like making his pecker bigger through internet blustering. Or whenever anyone posts in FYI. Or whenever I notify any of you of my carnal relationships with your immediate family. I doubt many, if any, people actually click through those posts out of any interest other than a way to get to the forum in general.

Zool
12-09-2010, 03:59 PM
How about removing the "recent forum posts" module from the front page and just sticking with those threads which you promote to legendary "article status" for the main page. There's plenty of shit outside of the GC that you probably don't want on the front page. Like any time madtown feels like making his pecker bigger through internet blustering. Or whenever anyone posts in FYI. Or whenever I notify any of you of my carnal relationships with your immediate family. I doubt many, if any, people actually click through those posts out of any interest other than a way to get to the forum in general.

I wish signing on made my penis bigger. Sadly it does not.

PA Pack Fan
12-09-2010, 08:38 PM
Honestly the design of this forum looks terrible.

1. put a little space between the seperator and the first line of text
2. redesign the hideous header
3. keep us logged in for more than 1 day
4. put a redirect on the old url and kill it for crying out loud

HowardRoark
12-09-2010, 10:43 PM

I agree on the header; it reminds me of a cheap suburban model home. Get Skin back on the payroll as art director.

I noticed yesterday that not all of the history from the old place came over here. Until all the history comes over, it would be nice if it was not killed off.

MichiganPackerFan
12-10-2010, 08:21 AM

Personally I would enjoy a box on the front page that includes skin's latest post (art excluded) because they never fail to crack my shit up!!!

I guess I never actually look at the homepage because my link is directly to the forum.

Little Whiskey
12-10-2010, 08:47 AM
skin's latest post (art excluded) because they never fail to crack my shit up!!!

more fiber might have a similar result

SkinBasket
12-10-2010, 09:21 AM
more fiber might have a similar result

I'm going to puke on your mom's vagina tonight just for that.

Little Whiskey
12-10-2010, 09:23 AM
I'm going to puke on your mom's vagina tonight just for that.

I doubt that will help crack your shit up. but to each his own.

SkinBasket
12-10-2010, 09:24 AM
Just visited the front page.

That last post makes an excellent attention grabber. Though I'm still not sure anyone other than those of us who know this place is here is actually finding this place. But I guess existing in obscurity is better than the past few years when joe was actively hiding us from the world.

Tarlam!
12-11-2010, 04:28 AM
I wish signing on made my penis bigger. Sadly it does not.

Ask your babe this: Do you prefer picking your nose with your thumb or your finger?

Tarlam!
12-11-2010, 04:32 AM
Is it just my brower setting or is the font size set to "you'll go blind if you read this forum" tiny?

Tarlam!
12-11-2010, 05:01 AM

This! I habitually overlook the first line because of the positioning and the tiny font size.

MadtownPacker
12-16-2010, 07:49 PM

Honestly, fuck off cuz you only come here to start and talk shit. This shithole is supposed to reminiscent of the old shithole but tackier. Most of these pigment deficient gabachos where ok with it so who am I to argue with a bunch of White Men.

1. I agree.
2. It is a placemaker really. Suppose to be getting changed.
3. I like logging on but I agree with you.
4. I think that got done cuz I got redirected. Still had the old URL as home.

MadtownPacker
12-16-2010, 07:55 PM
This! I habitually overlook the first line because of the positioning and the tiny font size.
Youre a Aussie dingo and your laptop sucks cause it ended my baddazz thread streak.

14 December 10, 2006 San Francisco 49ers W 30-19 Monster Park FOX 5-8
15 December 17, 2006 Detroit Lions W 17-9 Lambeau Field FOX 6-8
16 December 21, 2006 Minnesota Vikings W 9-7 Lambeau Field NFLN 7-8
17 December 31, 2006 Chicago Bears W 26-7 Soldier Field NBC 8-8

1 September 9, 2007 Philadelphia 12 Noon CST Lambeau Field Fox W, 16-13 1-0
2 September 16, 2007 New York Giants 1 pm EST Giants Stadium Fox W, 35-13 2-0
3 September 23, 2007 San Diego 12 Noon CST Lambeau Field CBS W, 31-24 3-0
4 September 30, 2007 Minnesota 12 Noon CST Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome Fox W, 23-16 4-0
5 October 7, 2007 Chicago 7:15 pm CST Lambeau Field NBC L, 27-20 4-1

Tarlam!
12-17-2010, 10:15 AM
Youre a Aussie dingo and your laptop sucks cause it ended my baddazz thread streak. [/B]

Hah! I'm on my 3rd laptop since then!! After you used the one in Gread Bay and lost the friggin' game for us, I had to throw that one against the next brick wall. And thanks everybody for helping me with the font size!