PDA

View Full Version : Bears -vs- Eagles Game Thread

RashanGary
11-27-2010, 10:07 AM
This is a horrible matchup for the Bears. Early in the season, when the Bears beat us, I thought we were the better team going in and felt like the better team going away. In hindsight, per usual with Mike McCarthy, we started slow. McCarthy does seem to be an innovative offensive mind. He comes up with new, effective ways to attack defenses. But with that, he has a tendency to try to get too cute. He admitted to carrying a lot of volume into the season, which seems great but just means they don't do anything great, and a bunch of stuff just OK.

The Bears are the opposite. In watching the Lovie lead Bears, I've noticed they like to run their base stuff and do it better than you. Early in a season and really any time in a season, doing less, but doing it well works. So the Bears beat us by out executing. I'd say McCarthy beat us, but the Bears get the W.

Now the Eagles come to Chicago. They have a good defense, good ST's and Vick. The Bears excel at running base defense. Each guy is where he's supposed to be. They're older, not particularly fast, but they're disciplined, smart and tough. The Eagles shred this kind of defense. Vick can drop back, the Bears can do everything right and Vick can shred them drive after drive.

My money is on a Chicago loss. We just have to beat the best team in the NFC and do it on the road and we'll be starting to eye a playoff bye.

Patler
11-27-2010, 10:26 AM
Early in the season, when the Bears beat us, I thought we were the better team going in and felt like the better team going away. In hindsight, per usual with Mike McCarthy, we started slow. McCarthy does seem to be an innovative offensive mind. He comes up with new, effective ways to attack defenses. But with that, he has a tendency to try to get too cute. He admitted to carrying a lot of volume into the season, which seems great but just means they don't do anything great, and a bunch of stuff just OK.

The Bears are the opposite. In watching the Lovie lead Bears, I've noticed they like to run their base stuff and do it better than you. Early in a season and really any time in a season, doing less, but doing it well works. So the Bears beat us by out executing. I'd say McCarthy beat us, but the Bears get the W.

I can't say I agree with what I quoted above. The Packers beat themselves in that game.
18 penalties for 152 yards to 5 penalties for 38 yards kept it close.
A blocked 37 yard field goal attempt, poor kick coverage including a punt return for a TD, and a lost fumble as the Packers drove with two minutes left sealed the defeat.

The Packers ran 60 plays to the Bears' 48, had 379 yards to the Bears' 276, and had 36 minutes time of possession to the Bears' 24 minutes. In short, the Packers had to go out of their way to lose that game, and did.

Unfortunately, I think the Bears are a better team now than they were then, if for no other reason than that they are a more confident team. Hard to know what direction the two teams will be going in 5 weeks when they play again. Could be a good game, or one of the teams might be in control of the division by then.

As for the Bears and Eagles, I think Philly is building and will win.

denverYooper
11-27-2010, 11:24 AM
Philly will be without Asante Samuel and Ellis Hobbs, their original CB starters. Samuel has been having a pretty good season. Juqua Parker has been out all week, but looks like he's 50/50 to go on Sunday; his absence would be another big blow. While that helps the Bears, I still don't see them putting up more points than Philly will score.

Bossman641
11-27-2010, 03:33 PM
One advantage Bears have is that their field is a cow pasture. The Eagle offense is built around speed which will be severely negated.