PDA

View Full Version : Playoff reality

ND72
11-28-2010, 07:51 PM
To be perfectly honest, i am kind of glad we lost today. Have any of you seen our team? Could any of you picture ATL coming to GB in January??? We have no running game, and turner in january would just destroy us. I would rather play on the road in the playoffs in a dome, spread the ball out and toss that thing around.

Today was not as bad of a loss as some probably think. Seriously, no lie, in my teacher picks, i picked Atlanta to win 20-17 on tuesday...should have gone to Vegas i guess.Atlanta is tough at home, and minus Rodgers fumble, you can't say that team is any Better than us, and they are 9-2.

OkayKyle
11-28-2010, 07:57 PM
We better hope that we somehow sneak into the playoffs. One game behind Chicago. We still play Giants, Patriots, and the Bears - I wouldn't be surprised if we don't get into the playoffs this year

channtheman
11-28-2010, 08:02 PM
We better hope that we somehow sneak into the playoffs. One game behind Chicago. We still play Giants, Patriots, and the Bears - I wouldn't be surprised if we don't get into the playoffs this year

Same here. The NFC is good this year. 10-6 might not even get you in.

mmmdk
11-28-2010, 08:03 PM
Next 2 games are must win; vs 49ers and at Lions. Then it's close & tough games at Pats, vs Giants & vs Bears...ah heck, no playoffs, can't win'em close ones!

denverYooper
11-28-2010, 08:09 PM

Bears still have to play the Pats, Jets, and the Pack in Lambeau. They're in the driver's seat ATM but their road is not easy either.

denverYooper
11-28-2010, 08:14 PM
I'm calling it, too. The Bears will lose to the Lions next week.

channtheman
11-28-2010, 08:15 PM
Bears final 5
@ Lions W
Patriots L/W
@ Vikings W
Jets L/W
@ Packers L

Packers final 5
49ers W
@ Lions W
@ Patriots L
Giants W
Bears W

Bears last 3 division games are on the road. Could go 1-2, I think they go 2-1. Then I think they split the Pats and Jets. I think they win one and lose one, which I do not know. That puts them at 3-2 over the last 5 and 11-5 for the season.

Packers MUST win their next 2 games, but I can't see us winning in New England. Giants are pretenders and we should take care of them. That puts us at 10-5 going into the last game. We have to beat the Bears to be 11-5 as well and then I'm not sure what tie breakers take place now.

mmmdk
11-28-2010, 08:20 PM
I predicted Packers to go 10-6 prior to season; it's documented and it will happen too! Bet on it!

denverYooper
11-28-2010, 08:30 PM
Bears final 5
@ Lions W
Patriots L/W
@ Vikings W
Jets L/W
@ Packers L

Packers final 5
49ers W
@ Lions W
@ Patriots L
Giants W
Bears W

Bears last 3 division games are on the road. Could go 1-2, I think they go 2-1. Then I think they split the Pats and Jets. I think they win one and lose one, which I do not know. That puts them at 3-2 over the last 5 and 11-5 for the season.

Packers MUST win their next 2 games, but I can't see us winning in New England. Giants are pretenders and we should take care of them. That puts us at 10-5 going into the last game. We have to beat the Bears to be 11-5 as well and then I'm not sure what tie breakers take place now.

Those Packer predictions look pretty good. If they play how they played over the last few weeks (including today), they'll go 4-1 down the stretch.

Joemailman
11-28-2010, 08:38 PM
Glad to see the Vikings won today. If they don't pack it in, they could give the Bears trouble in the dome. Bears have lost 4 out of their last 5 there, and even the 1 win was by 3 points in 2006 when the Bears were a much better team. Go get 'em Gunslinger!

denverYooper
11-28-2010, 08:44 PM
Glad to see the Vikings won today. If they don't pack it in, they could give the Bears trouble in the dome. Bears have lost 4 out of their last 5 there, and even the 1 win was by 3 points in 2006 when the Bears were a much better team. Go get 'em Gunslinger!

Plus, they owe 'em one from last year!

Fritz
11-28-2010, 08:45 PM
It points up the weakness of the West when a 10-6 team could miss the playoffs. But it is what it is, and I'm glad it's not just that the top 6 make the playoffs in each conference.

Other than the lack of running game and the dropped turd on special teams (the last kickoff return, though I thought Masthay was not all that great today), I was okay with how this game played out. I would've liked the Pack to win, but Atlanta is tough.

I just hope the Pack can somehow block better on running plays.

denverYooper
11-28-2010, 08:46 PM

The Vikings can do GB some favors by beating the Giants and Bears in the next few weeks.

Freak Out
11-28-2010, 09:08 PM
I think we beat the Pats...even with no running game. I have to disagree with Fritz...at least a little. I think it's lack of RB ability/brains more than blocking at this stage.
We might make the playoffs but with just a passing game and D were not winning the SB.

pack4to84
11-28-2010, 09:11 PM
Whats even more messed up is that a 10-6 might not make the playoffs and a 7-9 does by winning their division.

channtheman
11-28-2010, 09:20 PM
I think we just need to get in the playoffs. We can hang with anyone, running game or not. If we can squeak into the playoffs, I think we could make some noise this year.

denverYooper
11-28-2010, 09:49 PM
I think we just need to get in the playoffs. We can hang with anyone, running game or not. If we can squeak into the playoffs, I think we could make some noise this year.

With ya there. The passing game has been outstanding and they'll go as far as that takes 'em which could be pretty far.

This year I think they make the playoffs and win a game or 2 but are a year away from being dominant.

Airin' Rodgers
11-28-2010, 10:14 PM
just to add to channtheman's post...

Assuming the Redskins and the NFC West teams do not make a wild card push... the Packers are competing with the bears for the Division, and the Giants, Saints, and Bucs for 2 WC spots. The Bears and Saints are 8-3, and the Giants and Bucs are 7-4

Bears final 5
@ Lions W
Patriots L/W
@ Vikings W
Jets L/W
@ Packers L

Packers final 5
49ers W
@ Lions W
@ Patriots L
Giants W
Bears W

Bucs Final 5
Atlanta L
@Washington W
Detroit W
Seattle W
@ New Orleans L

Giants Final 5
Washington W
@ Minnesota W/L
Philadelphia W/L
@ Green Bay W/L
@ Washington W/L

Saints Final 5
@ Cincinnati W
St Louis W
@ Baltimore L
@ Atlanta L
Tampa Bay W

Eagles final 5
Houston
@ Dallas
@ NYG
Minnesota
Dallas

Honestly, the Packers have the most favorable schedule down the stretch (besides maybe Tampa). Assuming they don't slip up in the next 2 weeks "should-win" games, I have a hard time seeing them miss the playoffs

bobblehead
11-28-2010, 10:30 PM
I'm calling it, too. The Bears will lose to the Lions next week.

Just like week 1.....except the officials took it away

channtheman
11-28-2010, 10:40 PM
just to add to channtheman's post...

Assuming the Redskins and the NFC West teams do not make a wild card push... the Packers are competing with the bears for the Division, and the Giants, Saints, and Bucs for 2 WC spots. The Bears and Saints are 8-3, and the Giants and Bucs are 7-4

Bears final 5
@ Lions W
Patriots L/W
@ Vikings W
Jets L/W
@ Packers L
Finish 11-5

Packers final 5
49ers W
@ Lions W
@ Patriots L
Giants W
Bears W
Finish 11-5

Bucs Final 5
Atlanta L
@Washington W
Detroit W
Seattle W
@ New Orleans L
Finish 10-6

Giants Final 5
Washington W
@ Minnesota W
Philadelphia W
@ Green Bay L
@ Washington W
Finish 11-5

Saints Final 5
@ Cincinnati W
St Louis W
@ Baltimore L
@ Atlanta L
Tampa Bay W
Finish 11-5

Eagles final 5
Houston W
@ Dallas W
@ NYG L
Minnesota W
Dallas W
Finish 11-5

Honestly, the Packers have the most favorable schedule down the stretch (besides maybe Tampa). Assuming they don't slip up in the next 2 weeks "should-win" games, I have a hard time seeing them miss the playoffs

Assuming the schedules play out like this (and I hope I didn't put a team beating one in one spot and then losing in another by accident) the division winners would be

Atlanta
Green Bay/Chicago
Seattle/Rams (who cares)
Philly/Giants

I don't know tiebreakers so I put 2 teams in some slots.

Then for the wildcard we could have the Saints, Bucs, the loser of the east, the loser of the north, all with 10-6 or better fighting for 2 wildcard slots. Not only could a 10-6 team get left out, an 11-5 team could also get left out.

gbpackfan
11-28-2010, 11:26 PM
I just want to get into the playoffs. Could you imagine if we got the 5 seed and played the NFC West winner. That would be sweet! And I don't mind playing indoors in the playoffs. I just dont want to have to go to Philly. Please, no philly!

digitaldean
11-28-2010, 11:32 PM
gbpackfan - I agree, we just need to get in the tournament. Yes, it would be optimal to win the division and get a week off. But first things first, we need to take care of our business on the field. Right now, we have 4 WINNABLE games that we didn't do it. Win just 2 of those (especially the Bear game) and we are in the driver's seat for home field for sure.

packerbacker1234
11-29-2010, 12:57 AM
As it stands right now, I think we are on the outside looking in to the playoffs. Lets get there, then worry about what is best for this team.

sheepshead
11-29-2010, 06:51 AM
As it stands right now, I think we are on the outside looking in to the playoffs. Lets get there, then worry about what is best for this team.

Right now we are looking at staying home and Lovie Smith as NFC coach of the year

sheepshead
11-29-2010, 07:05 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qwq7BYOnDrM

Cheesehead Craig
11-29-2010, 08:33 AM
The Giants are the big question mark out there. They have weeks where they look great and others that make you wonder what the hell they are doing. They could just as easily win out as they could collapsing down the stretch.

red
11-29-2010, 10:24 AM
i guess i agree with ND's first post. to win in green bay in december and january you have to be able to run the ball. and we can't. our team is geared towards the big play through the air that is easier to pull off in warm weather or in a dome

i also agree 10-6 might not be good enough for us to make the playoffs. that bears game is huge. there might only be one team from the nfl north

bobblehead
11-29-2010, 10:30 AM
i guess i agree with ND's first post. to win in green bay in december and january you have to be able to run the ball. and we can't. our team is geared towards the big play through the air that is easier to pull off in warm weather or in a dome

i also agree 10-6 might not be good enough for us to make the playoffs. that bears game is huge. there might only be one team from the nfl north

But with our D playing so well, having the cold and the crowd on our side would be huge for us as well.

channtheman
11-29-2010, 10:47 AM
Like some others have said, lets just get to the playoffs. 10-6 will probably not be good enough to get in. I think we need at least 11-5 and even then, who knows.

MichiganPackerFan
11-29-2010, 11:11 AM
I'm not sure what happens, but to get to 7-4, with all 4 losses coming on last second field goals and some REALLY questionable officiating with a skeleton of a roster, I think that getting into the playoffs will be a hell of an achievement. Winning a game will be seriously over achieving. TT has done a great job in maintaining a roster that can continue to fill spots and MM & DC have done a great job coaching with so many pieces. NOT the year I was hoping for, but I have really enjoyed the team scrapping for what they can get.

ND72
11-29-2010, 11:33 AM
I'm not sure what happens, but to get to 7-4, with all 4 losses coming on last second field goals and some REALLY questionable officiating with a skeleton of a roster, I think that getting into the playoffs will be a hell of an achievement. Winning a game will be seriously over achieving. TT has done a great job in maintaining a roster that can continue to fill spots and MM & DC have done a great job coaching with so many pieces. NOT the year I was hoping for, but I have really enjoyed the team scrapping for what they can get.

Speaking of...did anyone else think yesterdays officials were horrible? I'm usually not one to say refs were deciding, but wow, bad calls, especially the guy on the Packer sideline.

Cheesehead Craig
11-29-2010, 11:38 AM
Speaking of...did anyone else think yesterdays officials were horrible? I'm usually not one to say refs were deciding, but wow, bad calls, especially the guy on the Packer sideline.
They really only called the blatant stuff. They pretty much let the teams play. I like those kind of officials.

MichiganPackerFan
11-29-2010, 12:38 PM
I didn't think they were too bad yesterday. Definitely some home field advantage stuff: HORRIBLE spot in the first quarter on third down, benefit of the doubt to Gonzalez but not to Driver on 4th down, personal foul for a stiff arm (what the fuck was that???), and as always, a lot of holding on the GB pass rush. Im also concerned why there was reportedly a lag in the video feed which prevented GB from seeing a replay after the Gonzalez "catch" on 4th down.

Guiness
11-29-2010, 12:51 PM

Minnesota could make things miserable for a few teams. They're a pretty talented roster, and if they all get pulling in the same direction, they can win some games. They could make life miserable for three of the teams they have yet to play, Chicago (go Vikings!) Philly and NYG.

If Frazier gets the defense playing well, and just hands the ball to his RB's 30 times a game, they could easily win 3 of their last 5 games. Let's just hope one of those is against the Bears!

denverYooper
11-29-2010, 01:25 PM
Minnesota could make things miserable for a few teams. They're a pretty talented roster, and if they all get pulling in the same direction, they can win some games. They could make life miserable for three of the teams they have yet to play, Chicago (go Vikings!) Philly and NYG.

If Frazier gets the defense playing well, and just hands the ball to his RB's 30 times a game, they could easily win 3 of their last 5 games. Let's just hope one of those is against the Bears!

The funny thing is that is how the Vikings are supposedly built to play and how they had moderate success before last year: pound the ball and play D. They're not eliminated yet and they know they have nothing to lose, which makes them more dangerous. I'm glad the Wilfs did GB a solid by waiting until after they played the Packers to change coaches.

bobblehead
11-29-2010, 01:30 PM

we were marginally on the short end of the calls, and I squak loud when I think it cost us...yesterday we got beat by the falcons though, they are very good.

bobblehead
11-29-2010, 01:32 PM
I didn't think they were too bad yesterday. Definitely some home field advantage stuff: HORRIBLE spot in the first quarter on third down, benefit of the doubt to Gonzalez but not to Driver on 4th down, personal foul for a stiff arm (what the fuck was that???), and as always, a lot of holding on the GB pass rush. Im also concerned why there was reportedly a lag in the video feed which prevented GB from seeing a replay after the Gonzalez "catch" on 4th down.

Yea, not showing the right angle pissed me off a lot. If they show it we challenge. The stiff arm? I saw hester do it 3 seperate times the very next game without being called. But again, those didn't cost us this game.

ND72
11-29-2010, 03:32 PM

There is always a "lag" when the call could go against the home team. Lambeau won't show anythign in that instance.

MichiganPackerFan
11-30-2010, 07:57 AM
There is always a "lag" when the call could go against the home team. Lambeau won't show anythign in that instance.

I wasn't referring to the lag on the scoreboards, i understand how that works. I believe there are television feeds to the box where our coaches sit, and reportedly there were abnormal delays there as well.

red
11-30-2010, 04:43 PM
its really amazing that 2 days ago we were in a game that many thought was for home field advantage in the NFC, now with one loss if the playoffs were to start today we wouldn't even make it.

NFC is pretty tough (except for the west) and a lot of teams are bunched up around the top. looks like 2 good teams are gonna be missing the playoffs. it would suck if we were one

vince
12-01-2010, 03:28 AM
The myth of needing to run in December/January in Green Bay (while it sounds good) has been thoroughly debunked by both Holmgren and McCarthy in numerous seasons. McCarthy's teams have run it more and better than Holmgren's teams on average.

The playoff reality is that Green Bay controls its destiny to the #2 seed and a bye. So long as they make up a game on Chicago, including the game in which they go head to head, they'll likely take the North. It will probably go down to the last week, with the winner of the Bear-Packer game taking the division and the loser a wildcard, unless the Bears or Packers tank, which it doesn't look like either is going to right now.

denverYooper
12-01-2010, 11:02 AM
The myth of needing to run in December/January in Green Bay (while it sounds good) has been thoroughly debunked by both Holmgren and McCarthy in numerous seasons. McCarthy's teams have run it more and better than Holmgren's teams on average.

Yes! In fact, I think there is quite an advantage to being able to pass well in cold weather for northern teams with outdoor stadiums. Rodgers, like Favre, is supposed to have abnormally large hands that make handling a ball advantageous in colder weather. The Patriots are also quite good at passing in cold weather.

rbaloha1
12-01-2010, 11:14 AM
The Packers better find a running game. AR can only take us sofar.

Bossman641
12-01-2010, 05:04 PM
I wasn't referring to the lag on the scoreboards, i understand how that works. I believe there are television feeds to the box where our coaches sit, and reportedly there were abnormal delays there as well.

I read this as well. If true, that is complete bullshit. From what MM and the coaches said, there was a delay on the coaches broadcast and they didn't even see a replay until after the Falcons had run the next play. And I'm not referring to the second replay that clearly showed it was a drop. Because of the delay, they didn't even see the first replay until it was too late.