PDA

View Full Version : Penalties in Atlanta game

Guiness
11-29-2010, 01:01 PM
A couple of strange calls -

What was the penalty Bush got on the punt return (Pack's first punt)? Play by play says 'illegal touch kick'. Was he the first one to touch the ball?

How did Jenkins draw the unnecessary roughness call? Was it after the play? I didn't see it, and there was no replay.

Then of course, there was the unnecessary roughness call on Shields. I don't think I've ever seen a ball carrier get that penalty for something he did during a run!!!:whaa:
If you can, Marion Barber should've been getting a pile of them a few years ago...

Airin' Rodgers
11-29-2010, 01:03 PM
A couple of strange calls -

What was the penalty Bush got on the punt return (Pack's first punt)? Play by play says 'illegal touch kick'. Was he the first one to touch the ball?

How did Jenkins draw the unnecessary roughness call? Was it after the play? I didn't see it, and there was no replay.

Then of course, there was the unnecessary roughness call on Shields. I don't think I've ever seen a ball carrier get that penalty for something he did during a run!!!:whaa:
If you can, Marion Barber should've been getting a pile of them a few years ago...

1. I think Bush's was legit, I seem to remember him standing out of bounds while downing the ball. I remember not complaining about this call.

2. Not sure when Jenkins got a penalty, can't remember that one so I won't comment

3. The call on shields was complete garbage. It was a stiff arm, that's all.

Fritz
11-29-2010, 01:04 PM
Even as a casual fan, I know that if a player goes out of bounds and comes back in, he can't be the first one to touch the ball unless he was pushed out of bounds by an opponent.

Bush came down, stepped out of bounds, and then was the first Packer to touch the ball. It wasn't a brain fart; it was a brain dump. Fortunately it only cost five yards.

red
11-29-2010, 01:07 PM
bush is an idiot, that's why he was flagged

if a coverage player runs out of bounds he can't be the first one to touch the ball. the punt hit near the sideline and rolled a long the line for quite a few yards. a few packer players were standing around the ball waiting for it to stop so they could down it, one was bush. while he was waiting for the ball to stop he was standing with one foot inbounds and one foot out of bounds. of course he had to touch the ball first, so a flag was thrown that bush had been out of bounds and was the first one to touch it.

it really was no big deal. it was a five yard penalty. so basically it just wiped out an insanely lucky bounce and roll

MichiganPackerFan
11-29-2010, 01:30 PM
If they're going to flag Shields for 15 for an attempted stiff arm, they need to toss a pile of laundry at Turner for running right through each one of our secondary who tried to tackle him.

Joemailman
11-29-2010, 02:29 PM
I thing Shields got his hand up on the guy's helmet. It's ridiculous, but the reality is these days if you make contact with a guy's helmet you might get a flag. Unless you do it to Aaron Rodgers.

MichiganPackerFan
11-29-2010, 02:53 PM
I thing Shields got his hand up on the guy's helmet. It's ridiculous, but the reality is these days if you make contact with a guy's helmet you might get a flag. Unless you do it to Aaron Rodgers.

No shit, the NFL declared open season on Rodgers a LONG time ago.

sharpe1027
11-29-2010, 02:56 PM
Can anyone remember an offensive stiff-arm being flagged for 15 yards before? That excludes grabbing and twisting. The officials seem to indicate the penalty might have been due to hitting underneath the facemask, but that wasn't what happened.

ND72
11-29-2010, 03:30 PM
Refs in general were kind of bad yesterday. Horrible ball spots, the penalty on Shields was garbage, and missing a few other calls either way. One time Clay was held so badly he was actually looking away from the QB, head ref looking right at it, no call.