PDA

View Full Version : Andre Johnson and Cortland Finnegan only fined?

Guiness
11-29-2010, 06:38 PM
Johnson and Finnegan were each fined $25K for their fight on Sunday.

What a joke - Sportsline had it right, if I'm Pittsburgh's coach, I tell Harrison to lay off the helmet to helmet hits...this coming week-end, wait until after the whistle, rip Flacco's helmet off and get a few good shots in - it'll cost him less.

Airin' Rodgers
11-29-2010, 07:16 PM
On PTI they were debating this, and came up with a good reason to why the NFL wouldn't suspend either player.

Andre Johnson and the Texans play on Thursday on NFL network, which is owned by the NFL. Why do something to hurt ratings?

packerbacker1234
11-29-2010, 08:02 PM
On PTI they were debating this, and came up with a good reason to why the NFL wouldn't suspend either player.

Andre Johnson and the Texans play on Thursday on NFL network, which is owned by the NFL. Why do something to hurt ratings?

Same reasoning Favre wont get suspended either. Like or not the guy is a ratings machine, and for a team that is on the losing end, he still draws viewers. Andre Johnson, as well, may be left up due to ratings. Honestly, though, I can't understand how a hard Jame Harrison hit can warrant 75k, but an all out brawl only nabs 25. That is really baffling.

Kiwon
11-29-2010, 10:03 PM
Yeah, the NFL rules regarding conduct don't seem to be applied very consistently.

Guiness
11-29-2010, 10:14 PM
last thing I wanted was Farve dragged in here, but the comparison is valid. I've been saying for a while that the NFL is dragging the investigation on him out so they don't have to end the streak with a suspension.

Not sure how complicated the investigation can be. I had one done on some e-mails and a cell phone - took a couple of calls, pulled some records, got the documents I needed, took about 48h. Didn't even need to get permission because all the devices and accounts involved were mine...which is the case here if all the parties are co-operating.

pbmax
11-29-2010, 10:55 PM
Johnson and Finnegan were each fined $25K for their fight on Sunday.

What a joke - Sportsline had it right, if I'm Pittsburgh's coach, I tell Harrison to lay off the helmet to helmet hits...this coming week-end, wait until after the whistle, rip Flacco's helmet off and get a few good shots in - it'll cost him less.

It looks even worse than the helmet to helmet collision, but far less damage is likely to be done by throwing those haymakers. If they truly knew what they were doing and connected, it would be a problem, but Johnson had two clear shots and didn't get much damage done.

Guiness
11-29-2010, 11:56 PM
It looks even worse than the helmet to helmet collision, but far less damage is likely to be done by throwing those haymakers. If they truly knew what they were doing and connected, it would be a problem, but Johnson had two clear shots and didn't get much damage done.

I know, I know - and I agree. It's the same argument as to why MMA is proving to have less long term effects than boxing. But you still have to admit that it's a heck of a mixed message.

Personally, I'm a hockey player - a good fight does a great job of setting the tone for a game. Let 'em go at it every now and then!

Tony Oday
11-30-2010, 01:43 AM
This is not a hockey game this is football. Suspend them both for 4 games easy.

pbmax
11-30-2010, 06:53 AM
This is not a hockey game this is football. Suspend them both for 4 games easy.

In one way I agree. An illegal hit is dangerous, but its not the distraction and foolishness that ripping someone's helmet off is. I wouldn't have minded a suspension, though I think it should be a level below the illegal hit.

MichiganPackerFan
11-30-2010, 08:27 AM
Yeah, the NFL rules regarding conduct don't seem to be applied very consistently.

Neither is the officiating or the calling of helmet to helmet hits against GB QB's and other team's QB's.

sharpe1027
11-30-2010, 10:38 AM
In one way I agree. An illegal hit is dangerous, but its not the distraction and foolishness that ripping someone's helmet off is. I wouldn't have minded a suspension, though I think it should be a level below the illegal hit.

IMO, it is not so much the danger as the intent. Helmet to helmet hits are often not intentional, or at least you can not always be certain. There is no doubt as to the intent to 1) break the rules and 2) harm someone; when you rip there helmet off and start throwing haymakers.

Pugger
11-30-2010, 11:50 AM
IMO, it is not so much the danger as the intent. Helmet to helmet hits are often not intentional, or at least you can not always be certain. There is no doubt as to the intent to 1) break the rules and 2) harm someone; when you rip there helmet off and start throwing haymakers.

+1

The punishment dished out by the league is not universal for each crime, that's for sure.

Guiness
11-30-2010, 01:14 PM

Not trying to put words in your mouth here, so let me ask - you're saying that you wouldn't have minded a suspension for the fight, but punishment for it should be a level below a legal hit, therefore you're saying you'd like to see suspensions for some of the illegal hits we've witnessed this year?

Collins and Harrison have received the largest fines, so they'd each then be receiving suspensions.