PDA

View Full Version : Brett Swain - Why Isn't He Returning Kicks?

Scott Campbell
11-30-2010, 11:36 AM
I don't get it. The guy is fast. And receivers should be pretty sure handed. Isn't that traditionally what the 5th receiver roster spot is for? If you watched him split the seam in traffic during his reception Sunday, it looked like he had a good feel as to where to go in a crowd.

Any insight out there?

Fritz
11-30-2010, 12:03 PM
Good question, SC.

I'm going to go with "because Slocum's useless."

It's simplistic, but it makes me feel good.

MichiganPackerFan
11-30-2010, 01:08 PM
It does make sense, especially watching him accelerate and split the defenders the way he did on sunday?
What's the story, is he fast? Good hands?

I think another question is how many games has he been inactive? If they're using their 45 for necessary depth and he's been inactive, there's an answer there.

Also, I really don't care all that much about the return game. The offense should be able to move the ball well enough to compensate. I'd be fine sticking Donald Lee back there to field it and take a step forward or fair catch. It's the kickoff and punt COVERAGE that i care about. Letting opponents start at the 35-50 is a HUGE problem.

mmmdk
11-30-2010, 03:56 PM
That's a great question; Swain did well in preseason and he's a fine # 5 WR...he can actually play. Great catch vs Falcons too.

pbmax
11-30-2010, 04:02 PM
I don't get it. The guy is fast. And receivers should be pretty sure handed. Isn't that traditionally what the 5th receiver roster spot is for? If you watched him split the seam in traffic during his reception Sunday, it looked like he had a good feel as to where to go in a crowd.

Any insight out there?

Actually, isn't he relatively slow? Slower than Jones and Nelson? I don't remember his numbers, but watching him he seems the least quick out of the WRs.

mmmdk
11-30-2010, 04:05 PM
Actually, isn't he relatively slow? Slower than Jones and Nelson? I don't remember his numbers, but watching him he seems the least quick out of the WRs.

I think he's as fast as Nelson. How fast is DD anyway? He's more quick than fast.

Joemailman
11-30-2010, 04:44 PM
Swain ran a 4.41 40 at his Pro Day. Nelson ran a 4.49 40 at the Combine. Not much to separate them there, but I've always thought Swain looked quicker, if not faster. Swain did return punts at SDSU. Don't know about kickoffs.

Bossman641
11-30-2010, 04:49 PM
I haven't seen a whole lot of Swain, but what I remember from him is that he didn't have a whole lot of speed. He did a nice job of splitting the defenders Sunday but even after that he didn't really look to have a second burst and didn't even attempt to make a move on the DB.

pbmax
11-30-2010, 05:35 PM
Swain ran a 4.41 40 at his Pro Day. Nelson ran a 4.49 40 at the Combine. Not much to separate them there, but I've always thought Swain looked quicker, if not faster. Swain did return punts at SDSU. Don't know about kickoffs.

My eyeballs might not be correctly adjusting for the white receiver adjective factor: gritty, quick, smart, good routes, lunch-pail, etc.

rbaloha1
11-30-2010, 09:27 PM
Good idea. Swain appears fearless and explosive. Lets put him out there!

Guiness
11-30-2010, 09:36 PM
My eyeballs might not be correctly adjusting for the white receiver adjective factor: gritty, quick, smart, good routes, lunch-pail, etc.

But can he win the jump balls? Woody Harrelson says no...

mission
11-30-2010, 11:59 PM
He's white. Can't try two guys back there in the same season.