PDA

View Full Version : Interesting comment on TJ Lang from Mike McCarthy

RashanGary
12-03-2010, 02:08 PM
In response to a question about what would happen if Bulaga can't go. . . . .

“T.J. Lang is the backup. He’s ready. If training camp began today, he’d be pushing for a starting spot.”

This is a positive development. Since Lang missed a lot of TC and hasn't played very many regular season snaps outside of some garbage time and a snap here or snap there while someone ties their shoe. . . . . We've been left to wonder if how TJ Lang has developed. This isn't the time of season where coaches talk about how the backups are practicing very often so here's our first glimpse into the development of TJ Lang.

With Bulaga looking like such a natural (21 years old, coming of serious illness where he lost 20 lbs just one year ago), you'd have to think he's a safe bet to play NFL LT. Projecting from college is one thing. He's looked damn good in the NFL. It seems like an easier projection to flip sides, especially since his natural side and more experienced side is the left side.

And now TJ Lang is doing really well in practice to the point that McCarthy just flat out says, "TJ's ready" and "If it were TC, he'd be pushing for a starting spot". It looks like we might have our RT on the roster too.

Now, that leaves the backup tackle spot very thin if Clif and Tausch are both done next year and our LG spot could be uprgraded, but it doesn't look like the OL is any worse going forward as it is now and that wasn't always the case. Some anxiety has been mounting. The play of Bulgaga and the comments of McCarthy on Lang are easing that anxiety. Could we transition as seamlessly from OT to OT as we did from CB to CB with harris/tramon? It looks like maybe we will.

HarveyWallbangers
12-03-2010, 02:20 PM
I still think he might make a better OG. I'd like to see.

Bulaga-Lang-Wells-Sitton-DRAFTEE

If Spitz ever gets back to form, then I'd be okay with

Bulaga-Spitz-Wells-Sitton-Lang

Not sure what has happened to Spitz.

Patler
12-03-2010, 02:35 PM
In response to a question about what would happen if Bulaga can't go. . . . .

“T.J. Lang is the backup. He’s ready. If training camp began today, he’d be pushing for a starting spot.”

This is a positive development. Since Lang missed a lot of TC and hasn't played very many regular season snaps outside of some garbage time and a snap here or snap there while someone ties their shoe. . . . . We've been left to wonder if how TJ Lang has developed. This isn't the time of season where coaches talk about how the backups are practicing very often so here's our first glimpse into the development of TJ Lang.

With Bulaga looking like such a natural (21 years old, coming of serious illness where he lost 20 lbs just one year ago), you'd have to think he's a safe bet to play NFL LT. Projecting from college is one thing. He's looked damn good in the NFL. It seems like an easier projection to flip sides, especially since his natural side and more experienced side is the left side.

And now TJ Lang is doing really well in practice to the point that McCarthy just flat out says, "TJ's ready" and "If it were TC, he'd be pushing for a starting spot". It looks like we might have our RT on the roster too.

That is interesting.

They have often commented about their internal debates as to if Lang is a better guard or tackle, and Bulaga seems capable at perhaps three spots. Could lead to some years of changes before they all settle into their final positions. If they have used extra heavy duty tape to put Clifton together this year, and he lasts through next year, you could maybe see Clifton-Bulaga on the left and Sitton-Lang on the right; or even Clifton-Lang and Sitton-Bulaga. At any rate, hopefully they will have successfully rebuilt 3/5ths of the O-line with Bulaga, Sitton and Lang, wherever they play.

I wonder how Spitz is? I read one article recently that said he needs another off-season in the weight room, that the time off with his back surgery had noticeably decreased is power, but that he seemed completely healed now. Maybe next year he might factor in at LG, or push Wells again.

pbmax
12-03-2010, 02:48 PM
My fear is that with a back injury that required surgery, Spitz may heal but might not ever be as strong or as reliable. But without knowing the injury, its hard to say. But I have read the same reports Patler has, that he has lost power due to the back injury/surgery.

I suspect the Packers will be drafting one more relatively high tackle prospect unless they are convinced the young guy (McDonald/Newhouse?) could start. And not a college tackle that projects to Guard. Bulaga has had some trouble with pass rushers, so he is not a slam dunk on the left.

Patler
12-03-2010, 02:58 PM
Bulaga has had some trouble with pass rushers, so he is not a slam dunk on the left.

Might be ... but at guard! :lol:

McDonald and Newhouse will be interesting to watch. They thought enough of both to tie up roster spots for them and not risking trying to get them through to the practice squad.

vince
12-03-2010, 03:18 PM
None of this would seem to bode well for the prospects of Colledge securing a long-term deal this offseason. I too would like to see Lang move inside to LG, but it would seem that there are some different options, any number of which show some promise, particularly with the addition of another o-line prospect in the draft.

vince
12-03-2010, 03:19 PM
with the Packers that is. Joe I need editing rights...:oops:

Joemailman
12-03-2010, 04:26 PM
MM might be thinking of moving Bulaga to LG. I thought he was outplaying Colledge there in the first two preseason games before he got hurt.

I would be pretty pleased if the starting OL next year (or even this this year) is Clifton/Bulaga/Wells/Sitton/Lang.

Scott Campbell
12-03-2010, 04:44 PM
Nice pick JH.

RashanGary
12-03-2010, 07:48 PM
Put me on record for liking Lang at Tackle. I like his feet and I like his balance. He looks natural in space. McCarthy likes him at guard. Philbin likes him at tackle. As much as I don't like Philbin, his OL experience far outweighs McCarthy's. Just using those two opinions, I'd lean toward Philbins so that makes me lean tackle too.

Joemailman
12-03-2010, 07:58 PM
Put me on record for liking Lang at Tackle. I like his feet and I like his balance. He looks natural in space. McCarthy likes him at guard. Philbin likes him at tackle. As much as I don't like Philbin, his OL experience far outweighs McCarthy's. Just using those two opinions, I'd lean toward Philbins so that makes me lean tackle too.

Who liked Barbre at Tackle? Figure that out and we know who not to listen to.

RashanGary
12-03-2010, 08:26 PM
Ted Thompson picked Barbre and kept him around for three years. Maybe he should be fired since nobody should listen to him.

retailguy
12-03-2010, 09:54 PM
Ted Thompson picked Barbre and kept him around for three years. Maybe he should be fired since nobody should listen to him.

Bout time you figure it out. :)

I have been unhappy with the OL for 3 seasons. This is the first season it's been somewhat respectable. We could do with some better run blocking, but overall it's better.

bobblehead
12-03-2010, 09:55 PM
My fear is that with a back injury that required surgery, Spitz may heal but might not ever be as strong or as reliable. But without knowing the injury, its hard to say. But I have read the same reports Patler has, that he has lost power due to the back injury/surgery.

I suspect the Packers will be drafting one more relatively high tackle prospect unless they are convinced the young guy (McDonald/Newhouse?) could start. And not a college tackle that projects to Guard. Bulaga has had some trouble with pass rushers, so he is not a slam dunk on the left.

His biggest issue seems to be guys with a good inside move. Having relied on pushing guys who go left wide (playing LT) his whole life this may be 1) correctable in time, or 2) a non factor if he ends up at LT. I played LG and had a lot of trouble trying to play RT....I also had nowhere near Bulaga type talent though.

bobblehead
12-03-2010, 09:56 PM
Who liked Barbre at Tackle? Figure that out and we know who not to listen to.

I like Babre at guard....in hindsight, anyone who like Babre anywhere is suspect.....

RashanGary
12-04-2010, 04:20 AM
dp

wootah
12-04-2010, 09:29 AM
McCarthy high on rookie offensive lineman McDonald (http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/111306179.html)

"That kid's going to be a good player," coach Mike McCarthy said. "I think Nick McDonald will be on my team for a long time. I think that kid's coming fast."

High praise from MM for a guy that didn't play a snap this year (IIRC). Maybe our OL will simply be improved by subtraction next year. Does anyone know why there hasn't been a 'Colledge experience' this year?

Edit: I just saw you mentioned the same article, JH, but in the "JT is back" thread.

RashanGary
12-04-2010, 09:56 AM
I was wondering where that went. Basically, it sounds like MM is in love with both McDonald and Lang. Last year it was Breno and Barbre. . . .

I was excited to hear about Lang and disappointed to hear McDonald thrown in. It makes it seem like MM glows about everyone and you can't trust it. After all, he did glow about Barbre and Breno.

3irty1
12-04-2010, 10:04 AM
Lang certainly has the skill set to thrive at either LG or at RT and I think the decision to choose a position for him will largely come down to the development of guys like Newhouse. Newhouse has the better body of a tackle with his long limbs and athleticism. If Newhouse were to reach his potential he would make a great RT and leave Lang to man the LG spot. One of the reasons I like Lang at LG is that he has already shown he is the backup LT and will be in position to slide over in case of an injury. Newhouse has the upside to better serve as a LT but will likely never get a chance to prove it as Lang already has.

Patler
I was excited to hear about Lang and disappointed to hear McDonald thrown in. It makes it seem like MM glows about everyone and you can't trust it. After all, he did glow about Barbre and Breno.

Not like he has about Lang and McDonald. He spoke positively about their potential, but with Lang and McDonald he seems more positive that they will succeed. Saying they have to find a place for Lang, and that McDonald will play a lot of years for him are far more positive statements than he ever said about either Barbre or Giacomini, to my recollection.

Now someone needs to ask him about Newhouse! :lol:

Fritz
There is also an article in this morning's JSO in which McCarthy praises Lang again - but praises McDonald extensively as well.

The article says McDonald has been playing mostly center, but can play guard as well. To me, that suggests that Colledge's days in GB might be numbered, because you have too many options to replace him - options MM seems to really like. And that's without Newhouse in the picture.

I would guess - yes, just a wild guess - that the Pack will draft a tackle in next year's draft. No more guards, as they seem to have enough of those. But a tackle who projects as a tackle.

Fritz
12-04-2010, 10:07 AM
I was wondering where that went. Basically, it sounds like MM is in love with both McDonald and Lang. Last year it was Breno and Barbre. . . .

I don't think he really glowed much about their performances - just their potential. He often seemed to stress that Breno had potential. But with Lang and McDonald he's saying they are gonna be players, they are practicing very well. He seems much more confident in these two.

Patler
12-04-2010, 10:07 AM
Interesting that MM praises both Lang and McDonald, while Whitt rips on Underwood again, just like last year at about this time.
Underwood seemingly has made no progress in year #2, now playing safety in practices.

RashanGary
12-04-2010, 10:13 AM
True Fritz, I think the McDonald praise is the most genuine. Lang seems genuine too. I just start to wonder. . . . Is he blowing sunshine up our asses or do we really have a hell of a young stable of lineman (Bulaga, Sitton, McDonald, Lang). . . . Taking it for what it is, yeah, it seems like MM is impressed with these guys. . . The odds just seem stacked against it.

If we have this many good young lineman we could live with another year or two of Colledge if we had to. It's not like he's getting worse. He's getting better, it's just not not good enough to have us stop looking for his replacement.

RashanGary
12-04-2010, 10:20 AM
Bulaga/Clifton/(draft or newhouse)
Colledge/Promising draft pick
Wells/McDonald
Sitton/McDonald
Lang/Clifton/(draft or newhouse)

I could see something like this next year. Ideal would be a promising draft pick starting at RT or LG and Colledge being gone. I don't think it's quite as easy to replace Colledge as we all think. He's had a solid year. I still want him replaced, I just think he's good enough that a rookie outside of the first round will have a hard time doing it in year 1.

3irty1
12-04-2010, 10:24 AM
There is also an article in this morning's JSO in which McCarthy praises Lang again - but praises McDonald extensively as well.

The article says McDonald has been playing mostly center, but can play guard as well. To me, that suggests that Colledge's days in GB might be numbered, because you have too many options to replace him - options MM seems to really like. And that's without Newhouse in the picture.

I would guess - yes, just a wild guess - that the Pack will draft a tackle in next year's draft. No more guards, as they seem to have enough of those. But a tackle who projects as a tackle.

I wouldn't be so sure about either colledge or a tackle. McDonald playing mostly center is no surprise as the team will most likely be without a backup center once Spitz packs his bags this offseason to find a starting gig. If Colledge leaves that would leave the cupboards pretty bare along the interior. Take into account that Tauscher likely won't be back and you're talking about 2-3 vacated roster spots for o-linemen. If college is sent packing then Lang will likely start and Nick McDonald and Newhouse become the backups all along the O-line. That's a pretty lousy depth compared to previous years of having at least one starter-quality guy to step in somewhere. I think Colledge is retained but put into competition with Lang. I think a guard/tackle and a tackle are both drafted.

3irty1
12-04-2010, 10:33 AM
Bulaga/Clifton/(draft or newhouse)
Colledge/Promising draft pick
Wells/McDonald
Sitton/McDonald
Lang/Clifton/(draft or newhouse)

I could see something like this next year. Ideal would be a promising draft pick starting at RT or LG and Colledge being gone. I don't think it's quite as easy to replace Colledge as we all think. He's had a solid year. I still want him replaced, I just think he's good enough that a rookie outside of the first round will have a hard time doing it in year 1.

Clifton is not going anywhere with his play this year. If Lang is going to play next year he's going to have to beat out Bulaga or Colledge assuming Colledge is retained. I see it more like this:

Clifton/Bulaga/Lang
Lang/College/Newhouse
Wells/McDonald
Sitton/McDonald
Bulaga/Lang/Newhouse

I wouldn't be surprised either if a guy with lots of upside at LT like Joe Barksdale was a high pick by the Packers this year to sit behind Clifton and eventually take over, leaving Bulaga at RT permanently. I also wouldn't be surprised if McDonald won the center spot. At 6-4 316 lb he is pretty much everything that Wells isn't and with the growing number of 3-4's in the league, big centers are becoming more and more desirable it seems. McCarthy already expressed this once by demoting Wells in favor of Spitz who was another big center.

Fritz
12-04-2010, 10:59 AM
I don't agree, 3irty1. I think that young depth may well develop very nicely and provide the Packers with quality depth next year. MM loves McDonald, for one, and Newhouse showed some possibility as a rookie. Another year in the system and some weight lifting, and it's possible the offensive line could have some nice interior depth next year.

MJZiggy
12-04-2010, 12:02 PM
I wouldn't be so sure about either colledge or a tackle. McDonald playing mostly center is no surprise as the team will most likely be without a backup center once Spitz packs his bags this offseason to find a starting gig. If Colledge leaves that would leave the cupboards pretty bare along the interior. Take into account that Tauscher likely won't be back and you're talking about 2-3 vacated roster spots for o-linemen. If college is sent packing then Lang will likely start and Nick McDonald and Newhouse become the backups all along the O-line. That's a pretty lousy depth compared to previous years of having at least one starter-quality guy to step in somewhere. I think Colledge is retained but put into competition with Lang. I think a guard/tackle and a tackle are both drafted.

I thought Spitz's back was slowing him down. If that's the case, don't look for him to be going anywhere until he gets his horsepower back.

Fritz
12-04-2010, 12:06 PM
True Fritz, I think the McDonald praise is the most genuine. Lang seems genuine too. I just start to wonder. . . . Is he blowing sunshine up our asses or do we really have a hell of a young stable of lineman (Bulaga, Sitton, McDonald, Lang). . . . Taking it for what it is, yeah, it seems like MM is impressed with these guys. . . The odds just seem stacked against it.

If we have this many good young lineman we could live with another year or two of Colledge if we had to. It's not like he's getting worse. He's getting better, it's just not not good enough to have us stop looking for his replacement.

What's wrong with that if he is? Do not forget the lyrics of the late, venerable John Denver: "Sunshine, up my asshole, makes me happy....Sunshine in my ass, it makes me smile..."

3irty1
12-04-2010, 12:11 PM
I don't agree, 3irty1. I think that young depth may well develop very nicely and provide the Packers with quality depth next year. MM loves McDonald, for one, and Newhouse showed some possibility as a rookie. Another year in the system and some weight lifting, and it's possible the offensive line could have some nice interior depth next year.

That would be ideal but I wasn't about to count on any of our young OL improving much since none of it really ever has. Babre and Breno were shitty, Moll never visibly improved. Spitz and Colledge improved but not anymore than NFL weight lifting provided. Sitton was good from day 1 and so was Lang. If you are right then that would be pretty awesome.

vince
12-04-2010, 12:19 PM
Colledge is at the point where he is going to want his one big payday, and I don't think the Packers are going to give it to him. Someone else very well may.

Fred's Slacks
12-04-2010, 12:41 PM
Colledge is at the point where he is going to want his one big payday, and I don't think the Packers are going to give it to him. Someone else very well may.

Perhaps a replacement for Hutchinson in MN? They need another ex-Packer.

Joemailman
12-04-2010, 04:59 PM

I wonder if MM is trying to light a fire under Colledge's ass. He seems to need that from time to time. Lang and McDonald (or Bulaga if Lang becomes the RT) are guys who could be in line to replace Colledge if he doesn't play well down the stretch.

Tarlam!
12-05-2010, 10:33 AM
What Fred Slack's said

MJZiggy
12-05-2010, 10:36 AM
What Fred Slack's said

Out of context, this is funny.

run pMc
12-06-2010, 08:54 AM
I agree with 3irty1. I wouldn't be surprised if Bulaga stays at RT and Gb finds another guy to coach up as Clifton's replacement. Whether that player is someone on the roster (Newhouse?) or a draft pick remains to be seen. It seems like they draft a lot of T's that end up at G. I'm hoping Lang et al. pan out, but past history of OL draft picks suggests something like a 1 in 3 chance. Don't know if Colledge, Spitz, and Tauscher will all leave , but I expect TT to draft more help on the OL regardless.

Also think both Underwood and Lee will have their work cut out for them next year to make the roster. I'm not overly impressed with either.