PDA

View Full Version : Concern for Mathews?

Patler
12-04-2010, 02:27 PM
There are a couple JSO articles discussing that Mathews has been practicing little for some time already, and likely will practice little the rest of the season due to a shin injury:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/111237499.html

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/111295524.html

He had virtually no training camp this year, and virtually none last year. He was in and out of the practice routine last year a few times as I recall when he strained the hamstring that kept him out of camp. He missed time earlier this year and a game. Essentially, Mathews has practiced very little since coming into the league. For a young guy, at some point this becomes worrisome, since it usually gets worse with age.

His father and uncle played forever, and when the Packers drafted him I thought he might be the type to play a long, long time. I am beginning to wonder just a little if his body will hold up or not. He does well with no training camp and not much practice, but as teams start accounting for him more, practice may become more valuable.

Will he be one of those players with a couple great years who fade very early due to injuries?

sheepshead
12-04-2010, 02:40 PM
rub some dirt on it.

Patler
12-04-2010, 02:56 PM
rub some dirt on it.

That's the problem, not much dirt on those darn semi-synthetic fields! :lol:

bobblehead
12-04-2010, 03:08 PM
Yea, his lack of practice has bothered me all along, but as long as he has been effective I have sort of ignored it. I'm hoping its not prima donna stuff, and nothing about him suggests it is, but I still have to wonder.

Cheesehead Craig
12-04-2010, 03:16 PM
I think the coaching staff is holding him out for gamedays as it's obvious that he's such a difference maker out there. It's not like he's boycotting camp like Favre, so I'm not worried that it's prima donna stuff.

gbgary
12-04-2010, 03:20 PM
practice shmractice. he doesn't need it.

Tony Oday
12-04-2010, 03:21 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGDBR2L5kzI

RashanGary
12-04-2010, 03:44 PM
I'm a little concerned. I actually think it's a bit of a problem for him.

Fritz
12-04-2010, 03:54 PM
I usually ignore all warning signs of trouble and pretend they do not exist.

Thus, Matthews is fine.

MJZiggy
12-04-2010, 05:11 PM

Thus, Matthews is fine.

I'm with Fritz on this one. I'd think he'd recoup fine in the offseason and be ready to go for OTAs. If not, then maybe I worry a little.

Jimx29
12-04-2010, 05:25 PM
Not working him daily gives the opponents spies reason to believe he's less than 100% and thusly they do not prepare for him at 100%

Patler
12-04-2010, 05:46 PM
I'm with Fritz on this one. I'd think he'd recoup fine in the offseason and be ready to go for OTAs. If not, then maybe I worry a little.

Well, last offseason didn't do much for him because he missed most all of TC this year, too.

Joemailman
12-04-2010, 05:55 PM
Yea, his lack of practice has bothered me all along, but as long as he has been effective I have sort of ignored it. I'm hoping its not prima donna stuff, and nothing about him suggests it is, but I still have to wonder.

I won't worry until he says he has pneumonia.

pbmax
12-04-2010, 06:08 PM

Thus, Matthews is fine.

Remind me never to ride a Trans-Atlantic oceanliner with either of you at the helm. :D

CaptainKickass
12-04-2010, 06:13 PM
rub some dirt on it.

Maybe we should chug on over to Mamby-Pamby Land, where maybe we can find some self-confidence for you, ya jack-wagon!

rbaloha1
12-04-2010, 07:32 PM
CM does not need practice like Woodson. Big time gamer

3irty1
12-04-2010, 08:15 PM
Greg Jennings quit being a pansy. CMIII will too.

gbgary
12-04-2010, 09:18 PM
Well, last offseason didn't do much for him because he missed most all of TC this year, too.

last offseason is when he did all that ultimate fighting training that he says helped him a lot!

pbmax
12-04-2010, 09:28 PM
CM does not need practice like Woodson. Big time gamer

??

Woodson is having a poor year in coverage. Quite possibly due to the physical limitations that don't allow practice.

Matthews has been in a funk since this injury. They both need practice if only because it would signal full health (or as close as that is possible 11 games in). But as Patler points out, Matthews is seeing stuff he has not seen nor practiced against much, and practice would probably help. Esp. practice with contact, which Friday doesn't feature.

MJZiggy
12-04-2010, 10:27 PM
Remind me never to ride a Trans-Atlantic oceanliner with either of you at the helm. :D

I know an iceberg when I see one. This is just an oversized wave that gives us all a little start and makes us wonder if there's another one out there.

Packgator
12-05-2010, 12:15 AM

Maybe we should chug on over to Mamby-Pamby Land, where maybe we can find some self-confidence for you, ya jack-wagon!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhlWddAXSRA

MJZiggy
12-05-2010, 06:57 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhlWddAXSRA

I love that one. Have to laugh every time.

OS PA
12-05-2010, 08:09 AM
Matthews will be fine. He may not be as dominant as he was in the early part of the season, but I have the feeling that is a product of usual wear and tear, opponents gameplans, and other injuries.

On a side note, did anyone see Casey Matthews yesterday afternoon play in the Civil War? If I we're a praying man, I'd pray that we pick Casey up too and have bookend Matthews at LB.
On the other side note, does anybody have any info on Jaquizz Rodgers? He looks like a gamer.

Joemailman
12-05-2010, 08:30 AM
I've seen 2 sites that have Casey Matthews ranked among the top 10 ILB's. Is he playing outside for Oregon? He's not very tall, so he may be better suited inside.

Patler
12-05-2010, 09:09 AM
I think the issue I had in mind might be getting lost in our concern for the present. So I will restate the issue I see somewhat differently, and rephrase the questions. Matthews:

- missed essentially all of training camp in 2009.
- was withheld from practices at various times during 2009.
- missed essentially all of training camp in 2010.
- has been on the injury report for all but two weeks in 2010.
- has missed one game and one week of practices completely.
- has had only 2 weeks as a full-participant in the last practice session of a week in which he was on the injury report.
- is likely to be a limited participant for the rest of the season.

Essentially, in two seasons Matthews has missed both training camps and has practiced very little during the season. At some point this becomes worrisome regarding his potential longevity in the league. Guys tend to miss more practices as they get older, and Matthews has practiced only rarely in his first two seasons.

How much better could he be if he had had one or two training camps to refine his skills?
How much better could he be as a more frequent full participant during in-season practices?
Most importantly, what does this say about what might be expected from his career? Will he have a career of the common 10-12 year variety for top players, a very long career like his father and uncle had (19 years, each), or will he be one of those players who have fantastic 3-5 year starts to their careers, but then fade into obscurity due to injuries?

Joemailman
12-05-2010, 10:17 AM
I wonder if the Packers need to take a closer look at his offseason workout regimen. Could persistent hamstring injuries mean he's not working enough on flexibility?