PDA

View Full Version : Time to face the facts about the Bears.

Patler
12-05-2010, 05:56 PM
Yes, the Packers coulda, woulda shoulda beaten them the first time around, but they didn't.
Same for the Lions the first time around.
Maybe the same can be said for the Lions today.
Maybe the same for a couple other Bear games this year.

But the fact remains that the Bears have found ways to win the close games, something the Packers really haven't done. Often the Bears have won it with ST play. Often the Packers have lost their chances late in games because of their ST play.

Things are falling right for the Bears this year, and they have taken advantage of it. Catching and overtaking the Bears will be tough with just three games remaining before the final showdown with them.

I hate tie breakers, and it very well might come down to that.

HarveyWallbangers
12-05-2010, 05:57 PM
They've even won on bad calls and we've even lost on bad calls.

sheepshead
12-05-2010, 06:00 PM
It may come down to that crap call in the end zone of the Lions/Bears game week one. That would be a cryin' shame.

pbmax
12-05-2010, 06:28 PM
It may come down to that crap call in the end zone of the Lions/Bears game week one. That would be a cryin' shame.

I don't think the Vikings will be crying any tears over the Packers having a call go against them. Its not unusual for there to be a play or two that seems to make the difference. But since the Packers have blown several of their chances, its hard to blame a call.

denverYooper
12-05-2010, 07:06 PM
I believe that if the Packers win out, including beating the Bears in that last game, they win the division. Even if the Bears win their other games -- Pats, Vikes, and Jets.

The Packers have a pretty tough slate as well but not quite like that.

Joemailman
12-05-2010, 07:40 PM
If the Packers beat the Bears Jan. 2, I believe they'll win the division. If they don't, they don't deserve to win the division.

digitaldean
12-05-2010, 08:59 PM
I'm thinking that the Queens stand a 60/40 shot of beating Chicago. The ST for the Bears have helped them immensely. Given Chris Kluwe-less' punting and the Vikes poor coverage, that could be the X-factor. But, if the Queens don't blow it on ST, they can definitely knock off Chicago. We need Chicago to lose a division game (plus a conf. game).

The Queens have been playing a lot more as if something is on the line (like their own jobs).

Gould is a money kicker. I put him a 1/2 step above Crosby on anything inside 45. Crosby probably a touch better on the extra long kicks.

We need help, true. But it can happen. IF the Bears knock off NE, the muppets of the midway could very well run away with the division.

Little Whiskey
12-05-2010, 10:41 PM
I thought i read somewhere that the bears only have one player on IR. Hunter Hillenmyer. other than him everyone is still on the active roster. has a lot to do with how well they are playing

Tony Oday
12-05-2010, 10:51 PM
We need to win out then who the F Cares ;)

Gunakor
12-06-2010, 03:28 AM
The Bears are going to lose to the Pats and Jets and have at least 5 losses before they even get to Lambeau. Minnesota beats them on top of it and the race could be over already. Green Bay just has to take care of business against Detroit and New York before hosting the Bears. Even if we lose @ New England I think we're still in good shape. Victories over Detroit, New York and Chicago should get us a #3 seed at worst. Win out and I think we've pretty much locked up a bye.

SlimPickens
12-06-2010, 05:47 AM
If the Packers take care of there own business they should be fine.

3irty1
12-06-2010, 06:09 AM
The scary fact about the Bears is that they are lucky. This is truly terrifying. I'd rather be lucky than good anyday.

Patler
12-06-2010, 08:19 AM
The scary fact about the Bears is that they are lucky. This is truly terrifying. I'd rather be lucky than good anyday.

Yup, not unlike the Packers a few years back. Most everything went the Packers way in 2007, and their record reflected it, just like the Bears this year. Many seeming willing to assume the Bears will lose at least one more than the Packers will lose between now and the showdown in Lambeau, so that the final game will be for a clear division championship. I'm not so sure that will happen. I have a feeling the Packers will need that last game just to tie the Bears. Then it will come down to tie breakers.

VermontPackFan
12-06-2010, 08:33 AM
I too am a little cautious about counting the Bears out right now, they are going to have a chance to show that they belong with the top level NFC teams over the next few weeks. Green Bay will have to play a heck of a lot better than they did yesterday to beat the Patriots, Giants and even the Bears on the seasons final week.

Joemailman
12-06-2010, 08:52 AM
I too am a little cautious about counting the Bears out right now, they are going to have a chance to show that they belong with the top level NFC teams over the next few weeks. Green Bay will have to play a heck of a lot better than they did yesterday to beat the Patriots, Giants and even the Bears on the seasons final week.

Yes, but that is even more true of the Bears. A come from behind win over a Detroit team down to their 3rd string QB was not impressive. If I were the Bears, I'd be worried about that trip to Minnesota in 2 weeks. Sidney Rice scored 2 TD's yesterday, and he makes them a much more dangerous team if they can get Harvin back. I suspect this division is going to be tied going into the final game.

Fritz
12-06-2010, 08:56 AM
The way I took Patler's original post is that fans and sports casters and talking heads around the NFL need to just acknowledge that the Bears are good. We can talk all we want about luck, injuries, close games and all that, but the fact is, the Bears are 9-3.

That's a good team.

Scott Campbell
12-06-2010, 08:57 AM
If the Packers beat the Bears Jan. 2, I believe they'll win the division. If they don't, they don't deserve to win the division.

There's a lot of football to be played between now and then.

And congratulations to Jay Cutler for his first winning season since high school. It's been a very long time coming.

Patler
12-06-2010, 09:10 AM
The way I took Patler's original post is that fans and sports casters and talking heads around the NFL need to just acknowledge that the Bears are good. We can talk all we want about luck, injuries, close games and all that, but the fact is, the Bears are 9-3.

That's a good team.

That's exactly right. For a half season, comments about being the worst 5-3 team ever and such can make some sense, because we have all seen teams that start fast and then fade. But the Bears just continue to win. It's not always pretty, but after 3/4 of the season they are still riding high, and that is all that matters. I expect the Bears to finish no worse than 11-5. I expect the Packers will finish no better than 11-5. That means I think the best the Packers can do is tie the Bears for the Division.

I hope the Bears make a fool out of me and lose at least 3 of the next 4, and I really think Cutler is a guy who can do it for me if he puts his best screw-up effort toward it! It would be a sort of fitting Cutler-like ending, to be a game up with four to play and then not even make the playoffs! :lol:

Joemailman
12-06-2010, 09:24 AM
I don't think Cutler necessarily has to screw up for the Bears to lose 2 of the next 3. Home games against the Patriots and Jets (Bears have a better road record than home record), and a trip to Minnesota against a revitalized Viking team where the Bears have lost 4 of their last 5. They do get a bit of a break in that they will play a Patriots team coming off what should be a very physical Monday Night game against the Jets.

Patler
12-06-2010, 10:32 AM
I don't think Cutler necessarily has to screw up for the Bears to lose 2 of the next 3. Home games against the Patriots and Jets (Bears have a better road record than home record), and a trip to Minnesota against a revitalized Viking team where the Bears have lost 4 of their last 5. They do get a bit of a break in that they will play a Patriots team coming off what should be a very physical Monday Night game against the Jets.

That bit of a break might be all they need this year, or, more likely the way this year has gone, Brady will get even more dinged up against the Jets and miss the Bear game. Can they lose two of the next 3? Sure, but I thought the Eagles would take it to them, and that didn't happen. This just seems like a year the Bears are on a roll. To have any chance to overtake the Bears, I think the Packers have to win out; otherwise the best they will do is tie them.

As an aside, I'm not sure the Packers will do better than 2-2 from here, especially if the lose Jenkins for a while now, too.

MichiganPackerFan
12-06-2010, 10:34 AM
I believe that if the Packers win out, including beating the Bears in that last game, they win the division. Even if the Bears win their other games -- Pats, Vikes, and Jets.

The Packers have a pretty tough slate as well but not quite like that.

Sucks that the Packers had to play on the road against the Jets, Patriots and Falcons while in the comparable part of the schedule, the Bears got the Jets & Patriots at home and Carolina on the road.

That call against Suh yesterday was completely ridiculous.

Packers have to win 3 of 4 (including against the bears)

denverYooper
12-06-2010, 10:55 AM
Sucks that the Packers had to play on the road against the Jets, Patriots and Falcons while in the comparable part of the schedule, the Bears got the Jets & Patriots at home and Carolina on the road.

That call against Suh yesterday was completely ridiculous.

Packers have to win 3 of 4 (including against the bears)

Yeah. They probably will need to beat the Bears, Giants, and Lions.

denverYooper
12-06-2010, 11:01 AM
On one hand it's unfortunate that the Bears are doing so well this year because the Packers could've run away with it given that the Vikings fell off. On the other hand, it means that the Packers have pressure every week to play their best ball or face elimination. I think that will make them stronger come playoff time should they make it.

mmmdk
12-06-2010, 11:38 AM
On one hand it's unfortunate that the Bears are doing so well this year because the Packers could've run away with it given that the Vikings fell off. On the other hand, it means that the Packers have pressure every week to play their best ball or face elimination. I think that will make them stronger come playoff time should they make it.

Great argument & I second it.

Joemailman
12-06-2010, 11:48 AM
I don't know that there's really any evidence that that helps. Saints, Colts and Vikings all coasted down the stretch last year and made it to the Conference title game. Jets were 2-2 in their last 4. Packers on the other hand were 7-1 down the stretch and lost in the 1st round. Maybe it helps to have a bit of a breather before the playoffs start. I think if the Packers could get a first round bye that would help a lot.

HarveyWallbangers
12-06-2010, 12:05 PM

That's a good team.

They are a good team, but I think we are better. The Bears got a lot of breaks early, and it's snowballed. That often happens in the NFL. If the last game is for the division title, I'd favor us to win it.

denverYooper
12-06-2010, 12:10 PM
Yes, the Packers coulda, woulda shoulda beaten them the first time around, but they didn't.
Same for the Lions the first time around.
Maybe the same can be said for the Lions today.
Maybe the same for a couple other Bear games this year.

But the fact remains that the Bears have found ways to win the close games, something the Packers really haven't done. Often the Bears have won it with ST play. Often the Packers have lost their chances late in games because of their ST play.

Things are falling right for the Bears this year, and they have taken advantage of it. Catching and overtaking the Bears will be tough with just three games remaining before the final showdown with them.

I hate tie breakers, and it very well might come down to that.

If anything, this year has shown how important ST is. I can think of at least one killer ST problem in each Packer loss (and average starting field position)
v Bears - 2 big returns from Hester, 1 for a TD (CHI 36 - GB 21)
v Was - Crosby FG miss @ end of regulation (WAS 31 - GB 26)
v Mia - Francois lined up over LS and gave the ball back to Mia, which then scored (MIA 32 - GB 23)
v Atl - Weems runback + facemask (ATL 30 - GB 17)

While you can point to other factors that contributed to those losses (18 penalties vs Chi, several drops vs Was, Rodgers fumble vs Atl) it's not a stretch to say that GB ends up winning at least 2 of those close games with even mediocre performance on ST.

The Chargers are also showing the importance of ST play. Top 5 O and D by many metrics and (IMO) worse ST play out there in San Diego.

denverYooper
12-06-2010, 12:23 PM
GBPG has tiebreaker scenarios posted:
http://blogs.greenbaypressgazette.com/blogs/gpg/insider/2010/12/06/packers-control-playoff-destiny/

The upshot is that if the Packers win the final game vs the Bears resulting in a tie, the only way the Bears get the tiebreaker is this:

The only tiebreaker scenario I have uncovered, in which the Packers beat the Bears in the season finale and Chicago wins the tiebreaker, is this one:
A Packers’ loss to the Lions next week, coupled with a Bears’ win over the Vikings in two weeks, would give the Bears the edge in division record, 5-1 to 4-2.

The Packers need to take care of business against the Lions, that much is crystal.

pbmax
12-06-2010, 01:13 PM
The Bears are gaining some benefit from the schedule, but the Packers put themselves in this position. If they just stop shooting themselves in the foot (or just catch an INT without committing a personal foul) then they are in the drivers seat. Outside of Home/Away, the only differences are Falcons/Panthers and 49ers/Seashawks. While the Falcons game is clearly the toughest, the Packers getting the 49ers is very on par with the Seaturkeys this year.

That was the troubling thing about yesterday. It started like the other unnecessary losses. Mistake after miscue after misstep. Beside the result and Starks, the best thing was that they stopped self destructing earlier than normal.

MichiganPackerFan
12-06-2010, 01:47 PM
The Bears are gaining some benefit from the schedule, but the Packers put themselves in this position. If they just stop shooting themselves in the foot (or just catch an INT without committing a personal foul) then they are in the drivers seat. Outside of Home/Away, the only differences are Falcons/Panthers and 49ers/Seashawks. While the Falcons game is clearly the toughest, the Packers getting the 49ers is very on par with the Seaturkeys this year.

That was the troubling thing about yesterday. It started like the other unnecessary losses. Mistake after miscue after misstep. Beside the result and Starks, the best thing was that they stopped self destructing earlier than normal.

I think the way the league schedules are made up is incredibly logical, fair and competitive. One of my biggest complaints of an expanded season is it would wreck how artfully balanced the schedule now is. I was just pointing out an unfortunate coincidence for us this year.