PDA

View Full Version : Jenkins out for a couple of weeks

MichiganPackerFan
12-06-2010, 01:42 PM
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/111390589.html

What was he still doing in the game at this point anyway?

This one hurts.

pbmax
12-06-2010, 02:00 PM
It does hurt. Hopefully he is good after one game. But they need two lineman in there at a minimum on most downs and Pickett is also hurt. It can't all be Raji and Greene.

denverYooper
12-06-2010, 02:54 PM
Hopefully he's back for the last 2 vs the Giants and Bears. Those will be big.

Joemailman
12-06-2010, 03:00 PM
It really hurts with Matthews hobbled. Pass rush will suffer. Will Dom blitz or just try to play coverage?

steve823
12-06-2010, 03:46 PM
It really hurts with Matthews hobbled. Pass rush will suffer. Will Dom blitz or just try to play coverage?

McCarthy said LB Clay Matthews doesn't seem bothered by his shin injury. He said he's opening things up for others. Had a winning grade vs. 49ers.

Tony Oday
12-06-2010, 03:50 PM
Jenkins :(

Looks like Zombo and CMIII are the pass rush now...

billy_oliver880
12-06-2010, 04:02 PM
McCarthy said LB Clay Matthews doesn't seem bothered by his shin injury. He said he's opening things up for others. Had a winning grade vs. 49ers.

Just me watching but it sure didn't look like he was rushing the passer with that much authority yesterday but thats just me.

pbmax
12-06-2010, 04:37 PM
Just me watching but it sure didn't look like he was rushing the passer with that much authority yesterday but thats just me.

I agree. But like Clifton, it could be the lack of practice is as bad as the injury itself in terms of effectiveness.

CaptainKickass
12-06-2010, 04:55 PM
Who the hell is left healthy on the D-line? Raji, Green, ????

denverYooper
12-06-2010, 05:00 PM

That's like 3 guys!

steve823
12-06-2010, 05:56 PM

I noticed he was in coverage a decent amount of time during this game. I guess since all the o-linemen are expecting him to rush the passer, him going into coverage can help confuse them.

hoosier
12-06-2010, 07:01 PM

Someone over at JSO (Silverstein?) is convinced that Matthews is far more effective as a blitzer than as a pass rusher working out of the three point stance. Kind of the anti-Kampman in that way. Because Capers hasn't been blitzing as much over the past few games, the theory goes, Matthews's presence around the QB has been reduced. I don't watch enough of the Packers these days to have any opinion on this, but it would explain some of the decline in sack stats.

pbmax
12-06-2010, 09:32 PM
Someone over at JSO (Silverstein?) is convinced that Matthews is far more effective as a blitzer than as a pass rusher working out of the three point stance. Kind of the anti-Kampman in that way. Because Capers hasn't been blitzing as much over the past few games, the theory goes, Matthews's presence around the QB has been reduced. I don't watch enough of the Packers these days to have any opinion on this, but it would explain some of the decline in sack stats.

That's a limited way for Silverstein to look at it. I think he is referring to McGinn's numbers that he has 4 sacks straight against the Tackles and 6.5 in other spots on the line/blitz.

But to describe it as blitz versus 3 point stance eliminates stunts, which he is very good at. And on a significant number of blitzes, he often crashes down into the Tackle to create a lane for a blitzer from outside his position.

MichiganPackerFan
12-07-2010, 08:15 AM

That's like 3 guys!

That's awesome DY!!!!!

Fritz
12-08-2010, 01:07 PM
Here's a question I've been pondering:

With Drew Stanton at QB Sunday - good legs, decent arm, decent accuracy - do you blitz him because he's got little game experience, or do you rush three and drop a lot of guys into coverage?

Gunakor
12-09-2010, 02:17 AM
Blitz, but don't send the house very often. Even I could work a defense over in the NFL if the consistently rushed 3 at me. The WR's will eventually shake coverage and get open.

Ideally I'd only like to rush 4, but if we jump on them early I think sending 5 regularly would work just as well given Stanton's inexperience. Take advantage of his inexperience. Don't give him time to think. Force him to make quick decisions. Sooner or later he's gonna make the wrong one.

swede
12-09-2010, 07:43 AM
Blitz, but don't send the house very often. Even I could work a defense over in the NFL if the consistently rushed 3 at me. The WR's will eventually shake coverage and get open.

Ideally I'd only like to rush 4, but if we jump on them early I think sending 5 regularly would work just as well given Stanton's inexperience. Take advantage of his inexperience. Don't give him time to think. Force him to make quick decisions. Sooner or later he's gonna make the wrong one.

Yep.

In fact, isn't this one of the built in advantages of the 3-4 defense? You show five or even six coming in the rush in order to force the offensive line to switch up protections on the fly, and then you drop eight into coverage. As a change-up pitch in baseball keeps a hitter off-balance, the opposing offense is forced to guess what is coming in terms of coverage and rush.