PDA

View Full Version : Packers need to win the rest of their games to get a bye in the playoffs.

packrulz
12-07-2010, 05:52 AM
Green Bay Packers need to win last four games in order to capture first-round playoff bye
BY MIKE VANDERMAUSE • MVANDERMAUSE@GREENBAYPRESSGAZETTE.COM • DECEMBER 6, 2010
Even though the Green Bay Packers are the No. 7 seed in their conference and wouldn’t qualify if the National Football League playoffs started now, they remain in control of their own destiny.

If the Packers (8-4) win their final four games, including the season finale against the first-place Chicago Bears (9-3) at Lambeau Field, they will capture the NFC North championship. In addition, the Packers would claim the No. 2 seed in the NFC and a first-round playoff bye because they own a head-to-head tiebreaker edge over Philadelphia (8-4).

If the Packers win out and tie the Bears at 12-4, both teams would have the same division and common opponent records. But the Packers would claim the NFC North title based on a better conference record.

The high-stakes nature of the Packers-Bears regular-season showdown on Jan. 2 is exactly what the NFL had in mind when it changed its scheduling formula during the off-season to ensure division games would be played late in the season.

“I think everybody likes it now the way it is shaping up,” said Packers coach Mike McCarthy on Monday of the Packers-Bears matchup. “I like it. It will be great when we get to that point to see where both teams are. Playing Chicago the last game of the season, I think it’s awesome.”

But McCarthy’s only focus now is on Sunday’s game at Detroit, and for good reason. A Packers’ victory over the Lions, along with a win over Chicago, guarantees that Green Bay would win any tiebreaker over the Bears.

That means the Bears would either have to finish with a better record than the Packers or beat them in the season finale in order to capture the NFC North crown.

It is expected that the NFC South champion, either Atlanta (10-2) or New Orleans (9-3), will earn the No. 1 seed in the NFC. But the second-place finisher in that division will have to settle for no higher than the No. 5 seed that goes to the wild-card team with the best record.

There is one scenario in which the Packers could beat the Bears in the season finale but Chicago would win the tiebreaker. A Packers’ loss to the Lions, coupled with a Bears win over Minnesota in two weeks, would give the Bears the edge based on a better division record.

Joemailman
12-07-2010, 06:16 AM
Seems to me the Packers could get a bye with an 11-5 record. The #1 seed is likely to come from the NFC South. The #2 seed will come from the North or East. The Packers have the tiebreaker over Philly because they beat them, and would have it over the Giants if they beat them.

PaCkFan_n_MD
12-07-2010, 06:51 AM
If the pack beat the Lions, Gaints, and Bears they will get a first round bye as long as the Eagles and Bears loss one other game.

Guiness
12-07-2010, 10:25 AM
If the pack beat the Lions, Gaints, and Bears they will get a first round bye as long as the Eagles and Bears loss one other game.

Writing off that NE game, eh? They're sure looking like world beaters.

ND72
12-07-2010, 11:26 AM
Green Bay has 1-game playoffs from now until the super bowl...

MichiganPackerFan
12-07-2010, 11:30 AM

p'shaw. We play them IN boston IN december while they're tuning up for the playoffs. Piece of cake.

Scott Campbell
12-07-2010, 11:39 AM
They should have to win out to earn a playoff bye. 11-5 teams don't deserve the free pass.

hoosier
12-07-2010, 12:17 PM
Philly still has two games against a rejuvenated Cowboys team and a game at NY. If the Packers beat the Giants then the winner of the NFC East will probably finish 11-5 or even 10-6.

Kiwon
12-07-2010, 12:26 PM
Does anyone else have a tougher final three games than the Packers do?

Guiness
12-07-2010, 12:30 PM

On the bright side, ya, likely the Bears. (if you look at the remaining 4)

They have to play the Packers. We only have to play the Bears:lol:

TennesseePackerBacker
12-07-2010, 12:51 PM

The Bears. They have to play us at home.

sheepshead
12-07-2010, 12:55 PM
We could win them and not even Get into the playoffs? I think thats possible

vince
12-07-2010, 01:14 PM
We could win them and not even Get into the playoffs? I think thats possible
Read the article. That's not possible. If the Packers win out they are guaranteed the #2 seed regardless of what anyone else does. The Packers can lose to the Pats and still will be guaranteed a playoff spot by beating the Lions, Giants and Bears. They will own the tie-breaker vs. the Eagles and Giants for a playoff spot, and those teams must play each other yet, so one of them would be guaranteed to be behind the Packers after that game is played - again, assuming the Packers beat the Lions, Giants and Bears.

sheepshead
12-07-2010, 01:27 PM
Read the article. That's not possible. If the Packers win out they are guaranteed the #2 seed regardless of what anyone else does. The Packers can lose to the Pats and still will be guaranteed a playoff spot by beating the Lions, Giants and Bears. They will own the tie-breaker vs. the Eagles and Giants for a playoff spot, and those teams must play each other yet, so one of them would be guaranteed to be behind the Packers after that game is played - again, assuming the Packers beat the Lions, Giants and Bears.

Got it. Good.

Pugger
12-07-2010, 02:33 PM

NFC games are more important so if we lose one game, losing in NE wouldn't be the end of the world. But the most important game on our schedule right now is Detroit.

Pugger
12-07-2010, 02:34 PM
On the bright side, ya, likely the Bears. (if you look at the remaining 4)

They have to play the Packers. We only have to play the Bears:lol:

:lol: :lol:

pbmax
12-07-2010, 05:40 PM
The Bears. They have to play us at home.

Football Outsiders have it: 1. Cincinnati (Steelers, Chargers, Ravens), 2. Buffalo (Pats,Jets,Phins), 3. Bears, 4. Packers.

steve823
12-07-2010, 06:02 PM
Nothing would be better for the Pack then for them then to regain their home field advantage.Hopefully the Packers get a bye and start playing some good football in Lambeau like most Packer fans are used to seeing.

Packgator
12-07-2010, 08:49 PM
Hopefully the Packers get a bye and start playing some good football in Lambeau like most Packer fans are used to seeing.

Packers are 5-1 at Lambeau this year. Second best home record in NFC behind Atlanta (6-0).

PaCkFan_n_MD
12-07-2010, 09:09 PM
I know we need a lot just to get into the playoffs, but a bye in round one would be big. If we draw the right match ups in the playoffs you never know. But first things first, we MUST beat the Lions this week.

PaCkFan_n_MD
12-07-2010, 09:12 PM

They should sit Matthews that week. I'm not even kidding about that. He is not going to touch Brady. There offense is about getting the ball out in 2 seconds and letting the wrs do the rest. Get that man healthy for the Gaints, Bears, and hopefully the playoffs. Have to come out and jump on the Lions first.

TennesseePackerBacker
12-08-2010, 12:42 AM
They should sit Matthews that week. I'm not even kidding about that. He is not going to touch Brady. There offense is about getting the ball out in 2 seconds and letting the wrs do the rest. Get that man healthy for the Gaints, Bears, and hopefully the playoffs. Have to come out and jump on the Lions first.

Hell, I think the Packers should just pack up and prepare for the offseason then. We should probably just stop the season and crown the Patriots champions right now. No reason to play any more games.

packrulz
12-08-2010, 04:28 AM
NE got beat by the Jets and the Browns, and the key to beating them is keeping the ball away from Brady. Their defense isn't that stellar, a lot of QB's have racked up a lot of yards on them:
Carson Palmer
345 Yds (CIN)
Chad Henne
305 Yds (MIA)
Philip Rivers
336 Yds (SD)
Brett Favre
259 Yds (MIN)
Ben Roethlisberger
387 Yds (PIT)
Peyton Manning
396 Yds (IND)
As long as the Packers running game continues to improve, and they can move the chains to eat up the clock, NE is beatable. The Packers have a decent chance of running the table, as long as stupid penalties and special teams doesn't screw it up.

vince
12-08-2010, 07:02 AM
This week:

Go Pats vs. Chicago
Go Vikes vs. NY Giants
Go Cowboys vs. Eagles

Stretch: Go Rams vs. Saints
and a Bucs loss vs. Skins would be good too

and Go Pack Go of course.

Joemailman
12-08-2010, 10:43 AM
This week:

Go Pats vs. Chicago
Go Vikes vs. NY Giants
Go Cowboys vs. Eagles

For what it's worth, the line on these games:

Patriots favored by 3
No line on Vikings/Giants, probably because of Favre injury
Eagles favored by 3
Bucs favored by 2
Packers favored by 7

mmmdk
12-08-2010, 12:51 PM
Packers must go 4-0 rest of the way...or fire Stubby! :wink:

MadScientist
12-08-2010, 01:07 PM
This week:

Go Pats vs. Chicago
Go Vikes vs. NY Giants
Go Cowboys vs. Eagles

Damnit, I just ate lunch and you are suggesting rooting for the Vikings and Cowboys in the same week, and neither of them are even playing the Bears.

There should be some sort of warning on a post like that.

Gunakor
12-09-2010, 02:04 AM
They're not going to fire Stubby for losing to the red hot New England Patriots with half their team on the inactive/IR lists. Nor should he be. No shame in losing to the Hoodie, especially given our current situation. I'll be happy as a clam if we go 3-1 in our last 4 games. That guarantees us a spot in the playoffs, at a bare minimum, and a very good chance at a #2 seed and a bye. Just beat the remaining NFC opponents and we're in real good shape.

PaCkFan_n_MD
12-09-2010, 07:00 AM
Hell, I think the Packers should just pack up and prepare for the offseason then. We should probably just stop the season and crown the Patriots champions right now. No reason to play any more games.

Nothing to do with the pats being unbeatable. If I thought that I would say sit Rodgers. There have been reports of Matthews not being 100% and I haven't seen the same dominant player from the first half of the season. While the pats game is an important game, it is the one game that this team can stand to lose if they win the other three. If Matthews is hurt I would rest him that week. The only way we win that game is in a shoot out anyways.