PDA

View Full Version : AR as MVP?

Tony Oday
12-09-2010, 12:52 PM
If the Pack win out and he plays like he has the last four weeks does he win it? Plays Brady in that time, the Bears and Manning...I mean really if this team finishes 12-4 and he ends up with 60% passing, 34 TDs, 9 picks and 4600 yards...what do you think?

packers11
12-09-2010, 01:11 PM
If he beats Brady in NE it becomes a no brainier... If Brady wins that game, I think he takes the MVP...

3irty1
12-09-2010, 01:21 PM
Right now the only thing that really separates them are interceptions of which Tom Brady has 4 and A-Rod has 9. Beating him head to head will help A-Rod's MVP stock tremendously but any way you look at it, Tom Brady is in the drivers chair, he's going to have to falter.

Scott Campbell
12-09-2010, 01:35 PM
This ain't the year for A-Rod. IMO

Little Whiskey
12-09-2010, 01:49 PM
Right now the only thing that really separates them are interceptions of which Tom Brady has 4 and A-Rod has 9. Beating him head to head will help A-Rod's MVP stock tremendously but any way you look at it, Tom Brady is in the drivers chair, he's going to have to falter.

brady has to pull a Payton Manning. 11picks in 3 games!

steve823
12-09-2010, 02:06 PM
If we can knock Brady around and AR outperforms him when we play each other it would definitely be a possibility.

Noodle
12-09-2010, 02:48 PM
I agree with SC. Not his year. Had Finley and Grant stayed healthy, then I think things would have been very different for the team and for AR's prospects. After all, a pass catching TE and a reliable running game are a QB's best friends.

But having him in the discussion now sets him up for next year, if the Pack can avoid the friggin' injury bug.

SkinBasket
12-09-2010, 03:10 PM
But having him in the discussion now sets him up for next year, if the Pack can avoid the friggin' injury bug.

Forget the injury bug. Lockout baby!

Fred's Slacks
12-09-2010, 05:44 PM
In case there is still someone out there who doesn't like this guy:

http://www.cheddarheadpackhouston.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=38%3Aan-aaron-rodgers-unpublished-story&catid=5%3Aevent&Itemid=11

Cheesehead Craig
12-09-2010, 06:02 PM
Winner winner all-u-can-eat buffett dinner!

vince
12-09-2010, 06:06 PM
In case there is still someone out there who doesn't like this guy:

http://www.cheddarheadpackhouston.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=38%3Aan-aaron-rodgers-unpublished-story&catid=5%3Aevent&Itemid=11That story sounds exactly like what he reportedly did last year. I think that story is old. Still a great gesture though by a classy guy.

RashanGary
12-09-2010, 07:18 PM
Only chance Rodgers has to win MVP is to throw something like 5 TD's and 400 yards while Brady throws 3 TD's and 2 picks in a shootout loss next week. That could propel Rodgers past Brady though.

channtheman
12-10-2010, 12:02 AM
Rodgers is going to have to be incredible the last 4 games with like 12-15 TD's and 2 or less INT's AND have Brady start sucking tremendously to really even have a shot.

I am a self proclaimed MVP expert if anyone was wondering how I came to my conclusion.

Pugger
12-10-2010, 12:08 AM
I've been thinking about this and frankly I don't care who wins that award. If we win it won't matter if Rodgers throws TDs left and right for 500 yards or our defense steps up and shuts 'em down. WINNING these upcoming games is more important and I suspect Rodgers would say the same thing to us if we asked him.

sheepshead
12-10-2010, 07:17 AM
I agree, if we run the table yes. Interesting thought, it had not occurred to me til now. I did think Matthews might have been a candidate had he kept that up somehow.

Kiwon
12-10-2010, 11:12 AM
MVP awards and team success go together.

If the Packers run the table it will be because of A-Rod's play. But he needs a lot of help from everyone else. He and the wide receivers need to end the communication errors and the running game has to become a threat to provide a little bit of a balanced attack. If the Packers overcome the rash of key injuries and tough schedule to win out and A-Rod is named MVP it really would be a tremendous achievement for the whole team and not just one player.

HarveyWallbangers
12-10-2010, 11:41 AM
Nice! 7 yards/carry

When you eliminate kneel-downs, which count as running plays, Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers has gained 295 yards on 42 carries this season, writes Jason Wilde of ESPNMilwaukee.com.

Pugger
12-10-2010, 03:45 PM
"When you eliminate kneel-downs, which count as running plays, Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers has gained 295 yards on 42 carries this season, writes Jason Wilde of ESPNMilwaukee.com."

I hope Rodgers kneels down a lot these next few weeks...

Tarlam!
12-11-2010, 04:59 AM
MVP awards and team success go together.

If the Packers run the table it will be because of A-Rod's play. But he needs a lot of help from everyone else. He and the wide receivers need to end the communication errors and the running game has to become a threat to provide a little bit of a balanced attack. If the Packers overcome the rash of key injuries and tough schedule to win out and A-Rod is named MVP it really would be a tremendous achievement for the whole team and not just one player.

I'm not sure what to make of this. No offense Kiwon, but it reads like one big oxymoron. Your second sentence makes a very finite claim and the rest of the post contradicts it.

vince
12-11-2010, 07:19 AM
http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/article-1/Rodgers-Leading-Packers-Third-Down-Surge/c0afd37e-7467-4445-8bf5-feafb0d34d52

Over the past four games, Rodgers leads all NFL quarterbacks with a 149.7 third-down rating, connecting on 24-of-33 passes (72.7 percent) for five touchdowns and zero interceptions with an average of 11.4 yards per attempt. He completed six passes of 25-plus yards on third down in the last four contests compared to just two passes of that length in the first eight games.

“(Rodgers) has a unique set of skills that belong to him that have enabled him to do some great things,” offensive coordinator Joe Philbin said. “Then as we try to make the point all along, he can’t really do any of that stuff unless we get the protection that we need, unless he has confidence in his receivers to be able to adjust the route versus a specific coverage.

“I think he has some things that he possesses that make him certainly unique and very effective on third down with the velocity he has, the accuracy he has, the discipline, and then the scrambling ability. All of those things make him tough to handle when he is doing those things well.”

Over the past four games, only 17 of Green Bay’s 56 third downs have been third-and-7 or more (30.4 percent) compared to 47 of 94 (50.0 percent) in the first eight contests. For the season, the Packers have gained 4 or more yards on first down 52.1 percent of the time (No. 3 in the NFL), up from last year’s 45.8 mark that ranked No. 17 in the league.

PaCkFan_n_MD
12-11-2010, 07:22 AM
Only chance Rodgers has to win MVP is to throw something like 5 TD's and 400 yards while Brady throws 3 TD's and 2 picks in a shootout loss next week. That could propel Rodgers past Brady though.

Yep that is the only way. We also still need to win out and win the division with him playing well in those games. VERY unlikely. Its Brady's award to loss.

PaCkFan_n_MD
12-11-2010, 07:25 AM
http://www.packers.com/news-and-events/article-1/Rodgers-Leading-Packers-Third-Down-Surge/c0afd37e-7467-4445-8bf5-feafb0d34d52

I would love to see Rodgers play behind a line like Brady's. I think he would put up MVP numbers year in and year out.