PDA

View Full Version : Closes Losses

HarveyWallbangers
12-10-2010, 03:09 PM
Not sure if this was posted or not.

Close losses not Rodgers fault
Associated Press

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- At first glance, it seems like a harsh indictment of Aaron Rodgers' ability to win close games: Since he took over as the starting quarterback in 2008, the Green Bay Packers are 2-12 in games decided by four or fewer points.

A closer look shows that Sunday's loss at Atlanta wasn't the first time Rodgers successfully led a late-game Packers comeback, only to watch it turn into a loss. Each of the Packers' four losses this season was by three points, despite some strong fourth-quarter drives by Rodgers and the offense.

Rodgers has heard the criticism that he hasn't yet found his fourth-quarter quarterbacking mojo, but he says it doesn't bother him.

"It really doesn't," Rodgers said. "That's a stat that gets thrown out there. I'm trying to win games. (Twelve) of my 19 losses are by four points or less. Some people look at that as a negative. Well, we've been competitive in every game. How many times have we been blown out?"

Not many, but Rodgers probably has to pull off a few more memorable fourth-quarter wins to make that stat go away.

And more important, the Packers' special teams and defense have to perform better.

In nine of the Packers' 12 close losses since 2008, Rodgers and the offense drove for a touchdown or field goal to either tie the score or take the lead at some point in the fourth quarter -- but the Packers still lost. In the other three, the Packers were in position to kick a decisive field goal, but they missed or it was blocked.

Most of those games came in 2008, leading to the dismissal of most of the Packers' defensive coaching staff. But it has become an issue again this season.

With the Packers trailing by seven Sunday at Atlanta, Rodgers executed a masterful 16-play, 90-yard drive that included a pair of fourth-down conversions -- including a 10-yard touchdown pass to Jordy Nelson on fourth-and-goal to tie the score with 56 seconds remaining.

"I have never seen a quarterback, in my time here, play to that level in the passing game," Packers coach Mike McCarthy said this week. "I'll make that statement clearly here."

But the Packers' special teams promptly gave up a big kick return and committed a personal foul, giving the ball back to the Falcons near midfield. The defense couldn't hold, and Atlanta kicked the game-winning field goal with nine seconds left.

"We've done that a few times this season," Rodgers said. "When we've had to have a drive, we've been able to come up with a big drive, and, unfortunately, we've come up on the short end of a couple of those games. There's an urgency level that is there.

"I think when adversity hits this team, it's the thing I'm most proud of: We meet it head-on, and we've been able to make some plays in those situations. I think the urgency needs to be there a little bit more. Obviously, every play in the game."

Rodgers took the blame for his fumble on an attempted quarterback sneak near the goal line in the second quarter.

"I told the guys before the game last week: I said, 'It's going to be a 60-minute game, and it could be a play that happens in the first, second, third or fourth quarter that wins the game or loses the game,'" Rodgers said. "And, unfortunately, I was foreshadowing a play in the second quarter that possibly could have cost us the game. But, unfortunately, you never know when that play is going to be."

When it comes to winning close games, McCarthy said there isn't one specific thing holding the Packers back.

"You don't line up on Sunday afternoon and you're given one opportunity to win the game," McCarthy said. "There's hundreds of different types of opportunities that go on inside that game, and you can break it down by play. Did you win the play or did you lose the play? And when you're winning 60 percent-plus of your plays, you should be winning those games. There was a lot of offensive production this past week, but the bottom line is we didn't get in the end zone enough."

sheepshead
12-10-2010, 03:34 PM
Not the general managers fault either.

Tony Oday
12-10-2010, 03:55 PM
It IS Crosby's fault

channtheman
12-11-2010, 12:33 AM
Play calling, penalties, bad ST's, bad defense and turnovers are all more of the reason for close losses than anything related to Rodgers.

PaCkFan_n_MD
12-11-2010, 07:19 AM
I remember a couple that were MM fault. Very bad game management in a couple of the close losses. I'm not getting into my dislike of MM though, but its not Rodgers fault.

Bretsky
12-11-2010, 07:55 AM
Many of these are on MM IMO

In reality I think MM's coaching ability has nothing to do with the blame
He hired Slocum
Our ST's lose 2-3 games a year
Unacceptable

But that hire was his, and he kept him this year

Scott Campbell
12-11-2010, 08:28 AM
"I have never seen a quarterback, in my time here, play to that level in the passing game," Packers coach Mike McCarthy said this week. "I'll make that statement clearly here."

Interesting choice of words.

Fritz
12-11-2010, 09:13 AM
I would think that AR's bringing the team back to tie on the road against Atlanta this year with less that what, three minutes or so, would quiet the critics who say he can't bring his team back. Unless they think it's his fault the special teams and the defense (mostly the special teams) allowed the Falcons to come back with only a minute left.

Patler
12-11-2010, 09:51 AM
It IS Crosby's fault

Well, one of those FG misses I put clearly on MM. 2008 vs. MN

6:00 left in the game, Crosby makes a 40 yard FG to extend the Packers lead to 27-21.

The Vikings (mostly Peterson) come screaming back to take the lead at 28-27.

Blackmon returns the kickoff to the GB 41 with 2:22 left to play.
1st play is good for 19 yards to Driver, 1st and 10 at the Minnesota 40 - two minute warning.

With two minutes left from the Minnesota 40, MM essentially decides to run out the clock.
1-10-MIN 40 (2:00) R.Grant right guard to MIN 41 for -1 yards (K.Williams).
2-11-MIN 41 (1:19) R.Grant up the middle to MIN 37 for 4 yards (J.Allen, N.Harris).
3-7-MIN 37 (:36) (Shotgun) A.Rodgers pass short middle to D.Driver to MIN 34 for 3 yards (M.Williams).
Timeout #3 by MIN at 00:31.

Crosby missed a 52 yard field goal wide right.

In two minutes, MM ran three plays, and played for a winning 52 yard FG. One more 1st down would have improved the likelihood of success immensely. With two minutes left, there is plenty of time to try to get your kicker an attempt at a range that is typically 80-90% successful, instead of playing for a 50-50 chance at 50 yards+.

Idiotic coaching decision, in my mind.

bobblehead
12-11-2010, 10:00 AM
Well, one of those FG misses I put clearly on MM. 2008 vs. MN

6:00 left in the game, Crosby makes a 40 yard FG to extend the Packers lead to 27-21.

The Vikings (mostly Peterson) come screaming back to take the lead at 28-27.

Blackmon returns the kickoff to the GB 41 with 2:22 left to play.
1st play is good for 19 yards to Driver, 1st and 10 at the Minnesota 40 - two minute warning.

With two minutes left from the Minnesota 40, MM essentially decides to run out the clock.
1-10-MIN 40 (2:00) R.Grant right guard to MIN 41 for -1 yards (K.Williams).
2-11-MIN 41 (1:19) R.Grant up the middle to MIN 37 for 4 yards (J.Allen, N.Harris).
3-7-MIN 37 (:36) (Shotgun) A.Rodgers pass short middle to D.Driver to MIN 34 for 3 yards (M.Williams).
Timeout #3 by MIN at 00:31.

Crosby missed a 52 yard field goal wide right.

In two minutes, MM ran three plays, and played for a winning 52 yard FG. One more 1st down would have improved the likelihood of success immensely. With two minutes left, there is plenty of time to try to get your kicker an attempt at a range that is typically 80-90% successful, instead of playing for a 50-50 chance at 50 yards+.

Idiotic coaching decision, in my mind.

I feel you on that Patler, but an NFL kicker should make those game winners indoors off turf. That is what they make a career on, not making 30 yarders in the first quarter. Now, from what I heard, Crosby was icewater in college, so I haven't given up yet, and I liked the kick he made against the Jets (that was clutch), but I want to see a couple game winners go through the uprights, not doink off the iron.

Patler
12-11-2010, 10:31 AM
I feel you on that Patler, but an NFL kicker should make those game winners indoors off turf. That is what they make a career on, not making 30 yarders in the first quarter. Now, from what I heard, Crosby was icewater in college, so I haven't given up yet, and I liked the kick he made against the Jets (that was clutch), but I want to see a couple game winners go through the uprights, not doink off the iron.

But the simple fact is that once you get beyond 50 yards, success rate goes down significantly. When you have two minutes left, and you are sitting on the opponents 40 yard line, running out the clock and expecting to win with a 52 yard kick is ridiculous.

From 2000 to 2009 kickers were successful on 53% of their kicks of 50 yards and longer.
This year, as of mid November, they were a little higher, at 38/68. The simple fact is, your chances aren't much more than 50/50 on a 52 yard kick.

The goal posts are 18 1/2 feet wide. So basically the kicker's margin for error is 9 feet to either side of dead center while kicking an oblong ball with his foot from 150 feet away or more. The kicker doesn't even know for sure where the ball will be, or at what angle it will be tilted. He hopes it will be a certain way, but that all depends on the snapper and holder first doing their jobs correctly.

QB's are paid to complete passes, too; but their chances of completing a shorter pass are significantly better than completing a pass at a distance of nearly as far as he can throw it. Besides, just as completing a pass requires more than just the QB doing his job correctly, a successful FG requires more than just the kicker, and the margin for error goes down significantly as you get farther and farther away.

Time was not a factor at all in the MN game. MM as play caller lost his nerve.

Bretsky
12-11-2010, 10:34 AM
with the offense performing well as it was no excuse not to keep playing ball. Gotta get that kick below 40 yards. Then you can tank the offense if you want IMO