PDA

View Full Version : Promising tidbit from JS

RashanGary
12-11-2010, 05:28 PM
At the bottom of the, "Matthews injury getting worse" story, there is a little bit on Johnny Jolly. The last time Trgovac talked to him, he was a few weeks ago, he was heading out of the gym working out. Trgovac said Johnny loved football as much as any player he'd ever coached and sited Michael Vick as an example of what a talented player who wants to play can do.

Getting Jolly back would be a big deal for our defense. Pickett, Raji, Jolly, Neal, Wilson and I'd love to have Jenkins back even if it works out this way. That front, with Matthews as the key pass rusher has championship written all over it.

ND72
12-11-2010, 06:09 PM
We rarely had that talent in a 4-3!

Fritz
12-11-2010, 06:11 PM
That would be nice. The guy seemed to be very solid and he could knock down passes pretty well, too.

Patler
12-11-2010, 08:58 PM
If Jolly comes back, the Packers might let Jenkins go.

PaCkFan_n_MD
12-11-2010, 09:24 PM
They would be dumb to let Jenkins go. I really believe he is the best 3-4 end in the league. Imagine that starting line of Jenkins, Raji, and Jolly. I really hope we keep Jenkins.

Patler
12-11-2010, 09:38 PM
They would be dumb to let Jenkins go. I really believe he is the best 3-4 end in the league. Imagine that starting line of Jenkins, Raji, and Jolly. I really hope we keep Jenkins.

Jolly, Neal, Wilson, Pickett; they'll have DE covered with or without Jenkins.

Bretsky
12-11-2010, 09:43 PM
can you count on Jolly with one full year off ? I hope they get Jenkins done very soon

Patler
12-11-2010, 09:53 PM
can you count on Jolly with one full year off ? I hope they get Jenkins done very soon

No different than guys who get hurt early in camp and are out for the year, except that he isn't rehabing an injury. Jolly can request reinstatement after the Super Bowl. He will have months and months to get ready for the season.

PaCkFan_n_MD
12-11-2010, 10:05 PM

You keep six. Pickett basically plays end and NT. Plus Jenkins is better than everyone you listed. I don't see why you can't keep Jenkins, Raji, Jolly, Pickett, Neal, and Wilson. TT has show that he is willing to pay his players who perform at a top level. Don't pay Colledge? fine. Don't pay Bibgy? fine. Don't pay Splitz, or even Jones (who I really like)? fine. But it would be a bad move to just let one of the best palyers on the team leave. He is still only 29 so age shouldn't be a big reason. This team is really close to putting it together, now would no be a good time to let one of your best player leave.

steve823
12-11-2010, 10:18 PM
I agree, I don't think you let Jenkins go. He is playing great (when not injured) and is a dominate end in the 3-4. I'm hoping we keep him and jet Jolly back. That would be an amazing rotation at d-line.

Bretsky
12-11-2010, 10:42 PM
Here's the issue; DL similar to Jenkins have been going for SERIOUS bucks lately. So it's easy to say....sign the guy. I'm in that group as well.
But what if the price is nearing 8MIL per year. With his sack numbers he might get that in the open market.

Does the tune change with that price ?

pbmax
12-11-2010, 10:57 PM
It just takes one team to drive up his market. Most of power now lies with Jenkins and how much he thinks he will command in the market next year. If he thinks his injury history, age or numbers this year** will depress his market, he might be willing to sign for Ted's number. Or he could be worried about the CBA.

** By this I mean a projection of Jenkins numbers this year look very menacing, esp. if you give him some credit for playing with the cast. But with his history of unavailability, I am not sure many teams will give him this credit.

By the way Bretsky, welcome to the player value fiscal sanity club!

HarveyWallbangers
12-11-2010, 11:36 PM
Here's the issue; DL similar to Jenkins have been going for SERIOUS bucks lately. So it's easy to say....sign the guy. I'm in that group as well.
But what if the price is nearing 8MIL per year. With his sack numbers he might get that in the open market.

Does the tune change with that price ?

Yes, I think so. As much as I like Jenkins, I wouldn't go to $8M/year on him. He'll be 30 and he's been injury prone.

PaCkFan_n_MD
12-12-2010, 12:27 AM
I want him re-signed, but I'm thinking TT is willing to move on without him. Just the fact that Jenkins has been openly saying he wants a new contract and nothing is being done about it. All the while Williams gets re-signed and Bishop starts getting serious talks.

I don't care about free agents, I just want to re-sign our players and have a good draft. Hopefully Jenkins stays or at the very least gets tagged and is traded for a high pick.

Patler
12-12-2010, 05:29 AM

You keep six. Pickett basically plays end and NT. Plus Jenkins is better than everyone you listed. I don't see why you can't keep Jenkins, Raji, Jolly, Pickett, Neal, and Wilson. TT has show that he is willing to pay his players who perform at a top level. Don't pay Colledge? fine. Don't pay Bibgy? fine. Don't pay Splitz, or even Jones (who I really like)? fine. But it would be a bad move to just let one of the best palyers on the team leave. He is still only 29 so age shouldn't be a big reason. This team is really close to putting it together, now would no be a good time to let one of your best player leave.

You don't keep 6 DEs in a 3-4, you keep 4 or maybe 5; but more importantly on game day you are likely to keep only 5 active d-linemen in total. Jolly, Neal, Wilson, Pickett and Raji would do it. Then you have a rookie, or rookies inactive. I would like to see Jenkins back in GB, but the position really will be crowded, Jenkins seems to be hurt all the time, and he will be getting to an age that d-linemen sometimes decline at anyway.

If Jolly comes back, the key will be Wilson. If he shows promise the rest of the year, I wouldn't be surprised if the Packers let Jenkins go. With Jolly, Neal and Pickett they have three they are probably quite comfortable with at DE. Wilson would give them the fourth.

vince
12-12-2010, 05:46 AM
Jenkins is a tough call because of his productivity when healthy, but I think he'll ultimately walk too. With great depth along with d-line and so many on the team needing to be paid in the next few years along with the need to continue to infuse new young talent each year, more tough calls are going to come.

Jenkins will command a lot of money and probably will prefer to be back in a 4-3 so his talents can be showcased to a greater extent. Some team that is weak at DE will take his risks on and pay significant money, and the Packers are well-positioned to not do that. Notwithstanding the injury, Neal flashed some very good pass rush ability early this year. Wilson looks like he could develop very similarly to the way Jenkins did too.

Fritz
12-12-2010, 07:29 AM
Ah, the reality of the NFL. You all make good points. Still, that whiny little fan inside me wants the Pack to sign Jenkins. Of course, if he gets hurt next year I will lambast the GM for giving an injury-prone guy a contract.

I think Vince makes a good point - it'll be interesting to see if Wilson develops any more this year. I'm sure the coaches are keeping a close eye on that, and reporting to Thompson.

pbmax
12-12-2010, 10:18 AM
Has there been any hint they are even talking? Even with players that don't sign, usually there is a conversation. I don't remember there being chatter between the Packers and Jenkins yet. Or did I just forget?

3irty1
12-12-2010, 10:38 AM
Part of me thinks that not resigning Jenkins seems unTT-like. The guy has earned every cent of this coming FA contract. He's been a deal virtually his whole career in Green Bay, it seems a little disloyal to not pay up considering he's done the difficult task of working his way to a payday from entering the league as an UFA. If Jenkins' role on the team were to be replaced it would most likely have to be Mike Neal who is also a talented pass rusher but can you dump Jenkins and put your trust in Neal who thus far has been about as durable as Justin Harrell? Jolly's return kicks Pickett out of a starting gig IMO. He's got that Pickett ability to square up and shut down the run but does more in terms of pass rush and also has the hustle to make a few more plays in pursuit. Pickett would be free to spell Raji once in a while which would greatly improve the play of both Pickett and Raji IMO.

Bretsky
12-12-2010, 10:38 AM
I don't recall any word we were negotiating with Jenkins. Part of me thinks Ted knows he's gone and that was part of the reason for the Neal draft......similar to Justine Harrell with Corey Williams. Perhaps you can only budget so much money for that position. I think this signing will hurt; I thought I read he had similar sack numbers to Jenkins

Darnell Dockett 4 Year 48MIL with 30 MIL Guaranteed.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5521357

Bretsky
12-12-2010, 10:41 AM
if we do resign Jenkins this is a DL that should continue to be dominant; a dominant DL can make our LB's look better than they are

Joemailman
12-12-2010, 10:44 AM
I think a lot depends on whether they intend to bring Jolly back. I expect TT to keep one but not both. Jolly is younger, but obviously a character risk. Jenkins is the better pass rusher, but somewhat injury prone.

Patler
12-12-2010, 11:11 AM
I think a lot depends on whether they intend to bring Jolly back. I expect TT to keep one but not both. Jolly is younger, but obviously a character risk. Jenkins is the better pass rusher, but somewhat injury prone.

I have seen a number of comments from Trgovic since last Fall, about having been in contact with Jolly. He seems to be in regular contact with him. Taking the time to do that during the season suggests the Packers remain interested in Jolly. The Packers tendered him last off season after all the charges against him were out in the open. The new factor now is they will know better what they have in Neal and Wilson. A character risk like Jolly might be less appealing to them now than last off-season.

A draft-day trade of Jolly maybe, after re-signing Jenkins?

MichiganPackerFan
12-13-2010, 01:44 PM
Is JH going to get a look in training camp next season? The ACL was unrelated to the back, just unfortunate shit.

Patler
12-13-2010, 02:17 PM
Part of me thinks that not resigning Jenkins seems unTT-like. The guy has earned every cent of this coming FA contract. He's been a deal virtually his whole career in Green Bay, it seems a little disloyal to not pay up considering he's done the difficult task of working his way to a payday from entering the league as an UFA.

Jenkins was paid $16 million for 4 years. If he is out for the year, he will have played 47 of 64 games, with 15 sacks in the 4 seasons. Somehow, his body never seems to be able to hold up for him to push through into the elite DE status. At his age, it is likely to get worse, not better.

Patler
12-13-2010, 02:20 PM
Is JH going to get a look in training camp next season? The ACL was unrelated to the back, just unfortunate shit.

Probably depends on numbers. If Jolly comes back and Jenkins is re-signed, there might not be a roster spot for him in camp, especially if another DL or two are drafted.

Bretsky
12-13-2010, 06:38 PM

How many years did we piss away watching Robert Ferguson play in Green Bay ?
We should at least piss away that many years watching Justine on the IR

mmmdk
12-13-2010, 06:51 PM
I'd hate to see Jenkins jump to a divisional rival. What's his price?

Bretsky
12-13-2010, 07:11 PM
I think he gets 6.5 to 7.5 MIL per year

And if he'd just stay healthy more he's probably worth that. But he's nearing thirty.

It's a risk long term to throw a bunch of money at him

mmmdk
12-13-2010, 07:42 PM
Franchise Jenkins? That's just for one season.

pbmax
12-13-2010, 08:00 PM
if we do resign Jenkins this is a DL that should continue to be dominant; a dominant DL can make our LB's look better than they are

I think we might skip past the dominant part unless Neal or Wilson turn out like gangbusters. Pickett is older and hurt as is Jenkins and the latter already has an extensive injury history. When was the last stretch of five games Cullen was really healthy? Jolly might, but might not be back. That leaves Raji and the young ones. Its very unsettled.

Do other Hank Bullough/Cowher 3-4 teams play two lineman in nickel? Do the Steelers?

pbmax
12-13-2010, 08:05 PM
I think we might skip past the dominant part unless Neal or Wilson turn out like gangbusters. Pickett is older and hurt as is Jenkins and the latter already has an extensive injury history. When was the last stretch of five games Cullen was really healthy? Jolly might, but might not be back. That leaves Raji and the young ones. Its very unsettled.

Do other Hank Bullough/Cowher 3-4 teams play two lineman in nickel? Do the Steelers?

And with this thought I think I just solved the Packer's run game defense conundrum. Its all the slanting to save wear and tear on the DL Capers is doing. It got mentioned earlier this season when injuries hit and what his face covered in in the TV coverage yesterday. Nearly same run stopping ability (maybe higher trading Barnett for Bishop), but fewer bodies, missing Jolly and slanting to a gap that leads to bigger runs (esp. cutbacks) than last years' unit.

Boy, am I glad I finally put that together. My eyes and my brain were having a terrible argument.

ZachMN
12-14-2010, 02:47 PM
Unlike Kampman they should try to get something for him- he's not worth keeping, sorry but durability is overlooked far too much- and he's not that good, get something for him or let him walk, he'll have some good games but he's 29, on the cusp as far as physical part of the game.