PDA

View Full Version : Should Rodgers play?

th87
12-13-2010, 06:22 AM
I know I'm thinking the unthinkable, but that's two concussions this year. I was at the Redskins game, and thought the concussion came on the sneak at the goal line. So the overtime hit was a second head ringer. Today, two head hits.

At what point do we think about his long term health, and really, quality of life? And as an aside, I really can't believe we left our franchise at the mercy of James Campen - if the line could protect, he wouldn't be running so much.

Little Whiskey
12-13-2010, 07:16 AM
do the packers have a choice? I tought a second concussion = missing a game.

Patler
12-13-2010, 07:31 AM
I have to admit, I am concerned for Rodgers' career. Not that this one could end it (although one never knows), but there are some players who get them in bunches and it shortens their careers. They seem to get them progressively more easily, and the effects last longer. With today's mandatory concussion testing, who knows what the result will be?

Aikman and Young reportedly suffered concussions regularly, but returned relatively quickly. But that was before the NFL mandatory protocol for concussions. I wonder how quickly they would have passed the tests after their 4th or 5th concussions.

The days of shaking the cobwebs out and returning to the field are gone.

th87
12-13-2010, 07:43 AM
This is precisely what I'm getting at. Rodgers doesn't have the body type to absorb these kind of hits. I'm really hoping the focus turns to developing better protection first, and then we can worry about sophisticated schemes.

Scott Campbell
12-13-2010, 07:55 AM
He looked pretty bad when getting up. I'm disappointed they didn't pull him then - it was that obvious.

That said, the NFL is doing a much better job of protecting players and not letting them back without passing their tests. Rodgers brought this one on himself. That was the 2nd head first hit he absorbed in the game, as he kept tempting fate. If he won't listen to McCarthy about hook sliding, then MM needs to bench him for a series or 2 to get his attention. Flynn was running around the same way and McCarthy was livid.

pbmax
12-13-2010, 08:53 AM
The second injury is much worse than the first, if I can believe what I have read about concussions. The first produces damage and the physical recovery process takes weeks. The second injury can re-damage the same tissue (which is more vulnerable now) and delay healing for months. And the healing process continues long after noticeable symptoms have subsided.

mmmdk
12-13-2010, 08:58 AM
He looked pretty bad when getting up. I'm disappointed they didn't pull him then - it was that obvious.

That said, the NFL is doing a much better job of protecting players and not letting them back without passing their tests. Rodgers brought this one on himself. That was the 2nd head first hit he absorbed in the game, as he kept tempting fate. If he won't listen to McCarthy about hook sliding, then MM needs to bench him for a series or 2 to get his attention. Flynn was running around the same way and McCarthy was livid.

I agree completely; Rodgers was nearly knocked out cold.

And NFL is doing a better job.

Rodgers should sit next week and Packers should be looking for a backup QB to Flashy Flynn.

sheepshead
12-13-2010, 08:59 AM
Its impossible for us to answer the title of this thread.

mmmdk
12-13-2010, 09:01 AM
About sliding...I wish Elway would have slided in SB win over GB. :wink:

pbmax
12-13-2010, 09:03 AM
Its impossible for us to answer the title of this thread.

Actually, its not. But the NFL would like you to think it is. Neurological tests cannot tell you if damage has healed. He should sit. But the NFL is willing to risk further and future injury if cognitive function has returned. It would be close to letting a player continue to play with a knee injury if they can walk. But doing no tests to determine if the knee is structurally sound.

3irty1
12-13-2010, 09:21 AM
These are serious injuries and Brewer fans should need no reminding of that from their recent memories of Corey Koskie.

Regardless of awards, Aaron Rodgers is probably the most valuable player in the national football league and preventative measures need to be taken.

Are those fancy looking space-ship helmets not supposed to prevent concussions? They don't seem very popular but between the increasingly deadly defensive lines of our rivals in the NFCN, Aaron's own fearless style of play, and an offensive line that is clearly holding a grudge against him, he needs all the help he can get.

gbgary
12-13-2010, 09:23 AM
if the doctors clear him...of course he should play.

sheepshead
12-13-2010, 09:53 AM
Actually, its not. But the NFL would like you to think it is. Neurological tests cannot tell you if damage has healed. He should sit. But the NFL is willing to risk further and future injury if cognitive function has returned. It would be close to letting a player continue to play with a knee injury if they can walk. But doing no tests to determine if the knee is structurally sound.

'Us' as in "packerrats'

Pugger
12-13-2010, 09:59 AM
These are serious injuries and Brewer fans should need no reminding of that from their recent memories of Corey Koskie.

Regardless of awards, Aaron Rodgers is probably the most valuable player in the national football league and preventative measures need to be taken.

Are those fancy looking space-ship helmets not supposed to prevent concussions? They don't seem very popular but between the increasingly deadly defensive lines of our rivals in the NFCN, Aaron's own fearless style of play, and an offensive line that is clearly holding a grudge against him, he needs all the help he can get.

I and I would think everyone here would agree with me that it is unconcionable if MM does not address the Campen situation this offseason like he did with his DC and hired Capers to fix that problem. I cannot understand why this group of fellas cannot run block worth a damn. It is either the players or the OL coach. We cannot have our franchise QB knocked around like this week after week and not have him get his brains scrambled. >:-[

3irty1
12-13-2010, 10:09 AM
When you take Aaron Rodgers off this team I think this team really becomes a sum of its parts. They look like exactly like you would expect a bunch of mid-round draft picks to look. I read an article last week that compared the 49ers roster to that of the Packers. The 49ers offense is loaded with very high draft picks and a ton of OL talent but have pedestrian QBs that make their offense average.

denverYooper
12-13-2010, 10:11 AM
if the doctors clear him...of course he should play.

That's what will happen, I'm sure. If he's cleared to play he will. But the larger question relates to:
a.) there is growing concern over concussions and the research that increasingly indicates them being a much larger problem than what they were once believed to be.
b.) Rodgers takes a fair amount of beating because of spotty line play and, unfortunately, his ability to make plays with his feet. Cutler has the same problem in Chicago.
c.) this is Rodgers's 2nd concussion this year and because of a and b there is now pretty legitimate concern for his long-term health.

denverYooper
12-13-2010, 10:15 AM
When you take Aaron Rodgers off this team I think this team really becomes a sum of its parts. They look like exactly like you would expect a bunch of mid-round draft picks to look. I read an article last week that compared the 49ers roster to that of the Packers. The 49ers offense is loaded with very high draft picks and a ton of OL talent but have pedestrian QBs that make their offense average.

Rodgers is a difference maker, no doubt. Flynn would do ok running this offense, especially with some more reps, and I think they'd still be in better shape QB-wise than the niners. But Rodgers elevates that offense. He makes plays that will win games.

red
12-13-2010, 04:26 PM
The second injury is much worse than the first, if I can believe what I have read about concussions. The first produces damage and the physical recovery process takes weeks. The second injury can re-damage the same tissue (which is more vulnerable now) and delay healing for months. And the healing process continues long after noticeable symptoms have subsided.

this is spot on from what i know of the damn things. and as some of you already know, i've had my fair share of these stupid things.

when you get the first one the brain swells and that causes some of the fluid that cushions the brain to thin out, leaving the brain very susceptible to a second more severe blow to the head that results in more permanent damage.

i think the current process of clearing players to return to the field is an absolute joke. i have never had one that lasted less then a week. you feel like shit for at least 2 weeks on average. yet these trainers manage to get the guys back out there in a few days. I call BS

a second concussion so soon after the first tells me he wasn't fully healed in the first place. i think he should be shut down for the year.

my situation was very similar. i got hit in the back of the head and knocked out, less then two weeks later i got hit hard in the forehead and knocked stupid again, while still suffering from the first one. i felt like i had a massive hangover for almost a half year do to the second blow. and after that it became very easy to get new ones

i would be scarred of a similar situation with a-rod

Freak Out
12-13-2010, 04:35 PM
If it is as bad as it seems then shut him down. In the time off he can practice his slide.

Patler
12-13-2010, 04:36 PM
There have been some real interesting articles about the cumulative effects of concussions, even when second and later ones are years after what was thought to be the first one. Of course studying brains of dead athletes is very unreliable because of the lack of good documentation on the injuries during their careers 20-40 years ago.

Smidgeon
12-13-2010, 04:36 PM
this is spot on from what i know of the damn things. and as some of you already know, i've had my fair share of these stupid things.

when you get the first one the brain swells and that causes some of the fluid that cushions the brain to thin out, leaving the brain very susceptible to a second more severe blow to the head that results in more permanent damage.

i think the current process of clearing players to return to the field is an absolute joke. i have never had one that lasted less then a week. you feel like shit for at least 2 weeks on average. yet these trainers manage to get the guys back out there in a few days. I call BS

a second concussion so soon after the first tells me he wasn't fully healed in the first place. i think he should be shut down for the year.

my situation was very similar. i got hit in the back of the head and knocked out, less then two weeks later i got hit hard in the forehead and knocked stupid again, while still suffering from the first one. i felt like i had a massive hangover for almost a half year do to the second blow. and after that it became very easy to get new ones

Luckily I've never had a concussion. But a close friend of mine played rugby in college. For some reason, he was concussion-prone. His last one, the one that forced his friends to keep him from going back to rugby ended up causing concussion-like symptoms that lasted well over eight months. Of course, that was his eighth concussion in the space of a couple years... Here's hoping AR doesn't suffer from back-to-back concussions.

Freak Out
12-13-2010, 04:48 PM
There are times when you throw caution to the wind and go for it and there are times you slide. Rodgers needs to figure it out. Every time you decide to go headfirst you give someone on the D a free shot...and most guys will take it instead of just touching you down.

The Weasel
12-13-2010, 04:59 PM
I think you have to look back at people like Steve Young (Officially 7 concussions, but probably more). It's gonna come down to the doctors and how severe the concussion was. I hate to say it, but he needs to sit out, which initially means a loss.

bobblehead
12-13-2010, 05:56 PM

Sorry to hear you went throught this red, but that is exactly as I have always understood concussions, and if laymen like us can gleem that from personal experience and reading, then the NFL should be ashamed. I personally thought the pack should have sat Rodgers against the Dolphins (and his play was spotty to boot), and I am damn sure he should sit against the pats. Beyond his health it is the only game we can afford to lose still (and are likely to either way). Why let him take hits in a game we probably won't win anyway, and if it compromises his season and/or career it really becomes a no brainer.

Bretsky
12-13-2010, 06:05 PM
I thought the premise might be Hoody is going to beat Rodgers or Flynn so might as well be cautious with Rodgers.....but health wise, how can you go with anythink other than what the league guidelines have in place ?