PDA

View Full Version : UNIQUE ARTICLE- Flynn to Win- We took it on the Chin

Bretsky
12-14-2010, 08:17 AM
How dare this guy criticize the Master :)

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/6116710/ted_thompson_is_largely_responsible.html

"This isn't Detroit Man! This is the Super Bowl!"

Actually, this was Detroit. Before the Super Bowl, you normally have to defeat teams like Detroit, something that the Green Bay Packers failed to do in a devastating 7-3 loss in Week

14 that puts their playoff fate out of their hands.

Aaron Rodgers was knocked out of the game, and Matt Flynn had to take over command of a 0-0 game during the second quarter. Instead of a grizzled veteran making the errant pass across his body, it was the inexperienced backup quarterback that made the momentum changing play of the game: an interception inside the Lions ten yard line. That play gave away all of the momentum and turned a 6-0, potentially 10-0 game into new life for the Lions offense, run by third string QB Drew Stanton.

Flynn is a seventh round draft selection from 2008. This was Flynn's first major action outside of the preseason, and he played just like a rookie. Flynn's inaccurate deep passes and inexperienced decisions denied the Packers a victory in Detroit.

Flynn didn't play well, but it's hard to condemn him when it's his first action. Flynn is a project QB who needs grooming to even have a chance to succeed in the NFL. A "Super Bowl contending" team shouldn't be relying on Flynn as their backup quarterback when their franchise QB is injured; they need an experienced veteran who can make smart decisions, avoid the costly mistakes, put together fourth quarter drives, and put the defense in position to win games.

Something they haven't had for three seasons. Something that teams like the Pittsburgh Steelers (Byron Leftwich, Charlie Batch), the Baltimore Ravens (Marc Bulger) the Atlanta Falcons (Chris Redman), the Dallas Cowboys (Jon Kitna), and other teams who build themselves up as "Super Bowl contenders" have.

Nope. The Packers insurance as a "Super Bowl contender" is an inexperienced project quarterback who rarely gets in-game action, and is then expected to replace Rodgers with few coaching adjustments necessary.

How does Flynn as the Packers backup quarterback make any sense? He's not going to overtake the starting job from Rodgers (well, unless our offensive line gets him killed). Therefore, they're grooming a backup

QB who, if he does excel in limited play, will likely leave as soon as he's a free agent for a starting gig? Essentially, they're developing a future QB for someone else while they're currently unprepared to replace Rodgers in a game. Then, they'll just start the process all over...

There's a reason that the Packers have been the Minnesota Vikings minor league system for the past decade.

The mistake of not having an experienced backup quarterback cost the Packers one game... which potentially eliminated an opportunity at a 2010 postseason run. The Packers will need a lot of help to even have a shot. That, or defeat the Patriots at New England for the first time since 2006 (under Tom Brady) in a regular season game and then some help.

Oh, and please fix the offensive line, Thompson. You don't want to be known as the guy that ran off Favre and got Rodgers concussed out of the league.

Joemailman
12-14-2010, 08:27 AM
Stupid article until the last line when he mentioned the play of the offensive line. I don't think those other QB's would have had much success either. If the Packers had had any semblance of a running game, they likely would have scored on that last drive and the above article would never have been written.

th87
12-14-2010, 08:28 AM
Vikings minor league system? Ran off Favre? Those things tell me how seriously to take this article.

But the point isn't bad. Garcia would be nice, I guess.

hoosier
12-14-2010, 08:47 AM
Wow, what a pathetic immitation of journalism. Leftwich, Kitna and Bulger are the writer's example of backup QBs he would like for the Packers? And the farm team analogy is just silly. Usually when other teams scramble to sign your cuts that is considered a positive indicator of a team's depth and overall talent level. Presumably the writer would prefer it if nobody wanted GBs castoffs. And yeah, let's force McCarthy to suit up some retread like Bulger or Leftwich instead of letting him do what he does best as a QB mentor. Good grief, the standards for journalism aren't what they used to be.

PS: If Rodgers couldn't put up any points behind that OL in a half of play, what makes us think that Charlie Batch or Chris Redman would have done any better than Flynn? Flynn was very far from being the biggest problem with the Packers on Sunday.

Scott Campbell
12-14-2010, 08:56 AM
C'mon. We need a backup QB with some name recognition.

I actually thought Flynn played pretty well outside of the INT. The offense moved the ball despite no running game or pass protection. It was fairly encouraging.

Patler
12-14-2010, 08:59 AM
A "Super Bowl contending" team shouldn't be relying on Flynn as their backup quarterback when their franchise QB is injured; they need an experienced veteran who can make smart decisions, avoid the costly mistakes, put together fourth quarter drives, and put the defense in position to win games.

Something they haven't had for three seasons. Something that teams like the Pittsburgh Steelers (Byron Leftwich, Charlie Batch), the Baltimore Ravens (Marc Bulger) the Atlanta Falcons (Chris Redman), the Dallas Cowboys (Jon Kitna), and other teams who build themselves up as "Super Bowl contenders" have.

Kitna - 165 TDs, 161 INTs
Bulger - 122/93
Batch - 60/47
Leftwich - 58/41
Redman - 21/13

Collectively, they have 426 TDs and 355 interceptions. Yup, you can sure count on those guys to come in and not make a mistake!
Collectively, they have a lot fewer TDs but even more interceptions than Favre (507/335). Yup, none of them would have thrown interceptions!

Cheesehead Craig
12-14-2010, 09:07 AM
I want my 45 seconds back that I wasted reading that pile of crap.

MichiganPackerFan
12-14-2010, 09:39 AM
C'mon. We need a backup QB with some name recognition.

I actually thought Flynn played pretty well outside of the INT. The offense moved the ball despite no running game or pass protection. It was fairly encouraging.

Akili Smith
Tim Couch
Ryan Leaf

3irty1
12-14-2010, 10:30 AM
The Backup QB job in Green Bay right now is about running the scout team offense, and doing your part in helping prepare for the next week by breaking down tape and such. Flynn is just fine.

packerbacker1234
12-14-2010, 11:51 AM
Flynn put more points on the board than AR in roughly the same time span in that game. It's not like AR was lighting the world on fire that game, and outside of one throw, Flynn played pretty well. With a better play call on 4th and one, flynn could of won us the game. That throw was just too big of a risk. Even if we scored, we would of left the lions a lot of time.

That drive that ended in an int also happened to be the best drive of the game, put together by our backup QB. Really, I don't think Flynn was the reason for that loss, and to peg it on him is foolish. Given the poor protection he had, and the lack of practice time with the ones, Flynn played pretty well. Given a full week of practice with the ones and some better protection, I think Flynn could perform quite well. Sure he is still a little rough around the edges, but you could tell he knew he was doing out there. I understand better now when people thought he was one of the top backups in the league during preseason.

I am fully confident in flynn as our backup. The real problem is if AR can't go this week, who backs up flynn? That was one of the scary thoughts last week as flynn took a hit he couldn't afford to take that "could" of took him out of the game. I am confident in Flynn, just not confident in the fact we never really have a 3rd guy ready for spot duty.

gbgary
12-14-2010, 12:02 PM
i don't have too much of problem with that article. the vike's minor league team was a bit off (and kinda funny) though.

MichiganPackerFan
12-14-2010, 12:56 PM
Tom Brady wouldn't have done much better behind the play that offensive line which was sadly and ironically "offensive".

Bretsky
12-14-2010, 07:53 PM
I didn't have a huge problem with the article.

What I would have pointed out is several very successful organizations who are rolling with no name backups equally unqualified to Matt Flynn.

Who is NE's backup ?
Who is NO backup ?
Who is Indy's backup ?

Truth be told when you really think about it there are not many qualified backups in the NFL

Joemailman
12-14-2010, 08:04 PM

What I would have pointed out is several very successful organizations who are rolling with no name backups equally unqualified to Matt Flynn.

Who is NE's backup ?
Who is NO backup ?
Who is Indy's backup ?

Truth be told when you really think about it there are not many qualified backups in the NFL

I agree B. There aren't many. I prefer the Packers approach. I'd rather have a young guy who may have the potential to be starter material, but hasn't had the opportunity yet (Flynn), over a guy like Leftwich who has had the opportunity and couldn't hold on to it.

HowardRoark
12-14-2010, 08:33 PM
How about Bert as a backup next year........his deer stand is probably still there.

mmmdk
12-14-2010, 08:44 PM

Who is NE's backup ?
Who is NO backup ?
Who is Indy's backup ?

Listen to the B ! Good or great QB backups are rare.

bobblehead
12-14-2010, 08:51 PM

Who is NE's backup ?
Who is NO backup ?
Who is Indy's backup ?

There aren't 20 good NFL QB's and we are expected to have 2 ?? Man, some people are so pie in the sky its comical.