PDA

View Full Version : Offense vs Defense

superfan
12-15-2010, 10:19 PM
Here's a statistical exercise that looks at statistics YTD on both sides of the ball. Disclaimer: stats and rankings are skewed as I'm only looking at points and yardage scored and allowed, regardless of how those points were scored and yards were accumulated.

Offense - Through 13 weeks:

Total points scored = 306
NFC rank 6 out of 16
NFL rank 11 out of 32

Total yards/game = 359
NFC rank 6/16
NFL rank 11/32

Statistical Conclusion - there is no statistical anomaly between yards gained and points scored. GB is no better or worse than opponents in terms of scoring compared to yardage.

Defense - Through 13 weeks:

Total points allowed = 189
NFC rank 1/16
NFL rank 1/32

Total yards/game = 314.1
NFC rank 5/16
NFL rank 9/32

Statistical Conclusion - This is a "bend but don't break" defense, capable of keeping opposing teams out of the end zone while performing above average in terms of yardage allowed.

Team Conclusion - The combination of offense and defense statistics strongly correlates to a playoff team, especially when an NFL 2nd best (behind the Patriots) 117 net points is factored in. Take into account the 10 defensive players placed on IR (counting Jolly but not counting Harris) and 4 offensive players placed on IR, and this team is definitely overachieving defensively and underachieving offensively.

Bottom Line - This is a long winded, statistical method of stating the obvious for anyone who has watched the Packers play this year. The defense, despite more key injuries, has far outperformed the offense. But despite all the injuries, this team should, statistically speaking, be a playoff team.

Freak Out
12-15-2010, 10:32 PM
If the starting QB was healthy we probably would be.

Freak Out
12-15-2010, 10:33 PM
BTW nice work.

mraynrand
12-15-2010, 10:36 PM
Statistically speaking, the Packers are probably going to be without Jenkins, Zombo and Rogers this weekend. Statistically, that makes them look worse than Buffalo. Statistically, there is a high likelihood I will drink wood alcohol all afternoon so as not to be able to comprehend the game itself. I am hoping it will look like there are blue and yellow beetles fighting for evolutionary supremacy on my TV - either that or a bad stop-animation version of "Clash of the Titans"

bobblehead
12-15-2010, 11:00 PM
Defensive depth, season start:

Jenkins, Raji, Pickett.....Neal, Harell, Wilson (2 lost for season, several missed games, Jolly, a starter out before season)
Mathews, Barnett, Hawk, Jones.....Popping, Zombo, Bishop, Chillar (4 lost for season, 1 starter, 1 nickel starter)
Woodson, TWill, Burnett, Collins...Shields, Peprah, Underwood, Bush, Lee, Anderson (2 lost for season, one starter, harris out before season)

Put it in perspective. We are starting out 3rd string OLB (4th string this week by the looks of it), and are without our 2 best nickel ILB's and the last DL to make the roster any time a starter sits or misses time. Shields and peprah made the DB situation look better than expected. We also lost what I consider our best go to option on the offense.

The thing that bothers me most is Bishop. We heard all the coaches comments, most of us bought into it (I'm guilty). It was all wrong. He is a stud. He has been our best ILB by far. Playing the pass well, plugging his gap and knocking runners back. If not for injury we would have continued to start inferior players while he played ST.

MichiganPackerFan
12-16-2010, 09:39 AM
Bishop does seem to really enjoy hitting people. Been a while since we had a linebacker who really popped people.

gbgary
12-16-2010, 12:18 PM
Bishop does seem to really enjoy hitting people. Been a while since we had a linebacker who really popped people.

you get fined for that now. you can only grab their waist, arms, or legs now.

Little Whiskey
12-16-2010, 01:45 PM
http://grantburwash.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/soccer-player-kicked-in-balls1.jpg?w=450

Statistally speaking.....of course.