PDA

View Full Version : Good ESPN read on the Packers

Bossman641
12-16-2010, 04:46 PM
It's not often I find an article from ESPN I think is really good, but this takes a good look at the Packers injury situation and goes inside the locker room a little bit

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5923437

sheepshead
12-16-2010, 04:57 PM
Nice one.

rbaloha1
12-16-2010, 08:39 PM
Okay we already know this stuff. More reason why Capers must be retained under any circumstances.

swede
12-16-2010, 10:39 PM
For two years, Thompson was skewered for being the man who sent Brett Favre packing, who prompted the Favre payback tour against the Packers. Now Favre is 41 and fading, no longer a factor, and Thompson has slipped into public oblivion. He appears to like it that way, being the no-name executive. It means people will leave him alone to do his plotting.

I think the author meant to say that TT is no longer in the spotlight.

Little Whiskey
12-17-2010, 08:17 AM
For two years, Thompson was skewered for being the man who sent Brett Favre packing, who prompted the Favre payback tour against the Packers. Now Favre is 41 and fading, no longer a factor, and Thompson has slipped into public oblivion. He appears to like it that way, being the no-name executive. It means people will leave him alone to do his plotting.

I think the author meant to say that TT is no longer in the spotlight.

Its an ESPN article. you think they would have tried to tt in a good light?

MadScientist
12-17-2010, 08:55 AM
Okay we already know this stuff. More reason why Capers must be retained under any circumstances.

As head coach? That might be the only way to retain him.

Fritz
12-17-2010, 03:13 PM
I wonder if he'd hire MM as his offensive coordinator...

mraynrand
12-18-2010, 09:10 AM
2002, 2005, and 2010. Doesn't that seem like too many, too frequent injury plagued seasons? If I ever have to read another one of these "Soldiering on through injury" articles about the Packers, it will be too soon. As funny as it seems, I still think the main problem with the season is the offensive line. Losing Tauscher really is no biggie. The fact that they can't consistently block well has been the number one problem with the team, despite all the injuries.

pbmax
12-18-2010, 09:58 AM
2002, 2005, and 2010. Doesn't that seem like too many, too frequent injury plagued seasons? If I ever have to read another one of these "Soldiering on through injury" articles about the Packers, it will be too soon. As funny as it seems, I still think the main problem with the season is the offensive line. Losing Tauscher really is no biggie. The fact that they can't consistently block well has been the number one problem with the team, despite all the injuries.

This is the same thing we keep going back and forth about. If they aren't pass blocking well, why are their sack numbers way dow? And how did Starks gain those yards against a decent run defense in the 49ers?

Losing Colledge really hurt versus Williams and Suh and the Lions. And losing him while playing on turf hurt more. Spitz isn't what he was physically and Lang has spent precious little time at LG since last year.

They are good enough to play average to above average against most fronts in the NFL. They play better on grass, despite all the pissing and moaning on this board that the Packers are a dome team.

But they aren't as good on turf. Clifton just doesn't have the mobility anymore and Bulaga is a rookie who plays like a rookie sometimes. And Wells can be physically dominated by a player like Suh. In fact, if Thompson reacts to Suh like Wolf reacted to Moss, expect the Packers to draft three straight centers next April.

They aren't terrible, but they can be had. Outdoors on Field Turf will be interesting. Snow would level that playing field on pass protection.

rbaloha1
12-18-2010, 11:31 AM
As head coach? That might be the only way to retain him.

If this is the only way then hire Capers as head coach. Not the preferred option but Capers is proving to be one of the best coordinators in the NFL.

mraynrand
12-18-2010, 12:47 PM
This is the same thing we keep going back and forth about. If they aren't pass blocking well, why are their sack numbers way dow? And how did Starks gain those yards against a decent run defense in the 49ers?

Losing Colledge really hurt versus Williams and Suh and the Lions. And losing him while playing on turf hurt more. Spitz isn't what he was physically and Lang has spent precious little time at LG since last year.

They are good enough to play average to above average against most fronts in the NFL. They play better on grass, despite all the pissing and moaning on this board that the Packers are a dome team.

But they aren't as good on turf. Clifton just doesn't have the mobility anymore and Bulaga is a rookie who plays like a rookie sometimes. And Wells can be physically dominated by a player like Suh. In fact, if Thompson reacts to Suh like Wolf reacted to Moss, expect the Packers to draft three straight centers next April.

They aren't terrible, but they can be had. Outdoors on Field Turf will be interesting. Snow would level that playing field on pass protection.

I agree mostly on the grass/outdoors versus turf/indoors/ontheroad deal. Except, were they really that bad at Atlanta? At Minnesota? I think the key word is 'consistently' - for whatever reason, the O line play is spotty. Needs to be exceptional tomorrow night to give Flynn a fighting chance.

MJZiggy
12-18-2010, 01:33 PM
If this is the only way then hire Capers as head coach. Not the preferred option but Capers is proving to be one of the best coordinators in the NFL.

That experiment has been tried and failed.

rbaloha1
12-18-2010, 03:26 PM
That experiment has been tried and failed.
True. Does the Belichek thinking fit for Capers?

MJZiggy
12-18-2010, 05:31 PM
True. Does the Belichek thinking fit for Capers?
Depends. Does Capers have a moral cell left in his body? If so, then no. Belichek has been called an offensive genius, but he also has an exceptional quarterback that does a lot of his genius for him. Capers is a defensive guru, so what's he going to do to for the offensive genius? The recruitment program in GB is similar to the one that the Pats were using just as Brady was coming into his own.

Bretsky
12-18-2010, 06:02 PM
Bellichek is not just an offensive genius or a defensive genius. He is a football genius. Anybody listen to how Brady raved about how great it was to meet with BB and break down Bear film ? That defense is very young. He's focused tons of time on helping to make that unit look respectable. Regardless of how he does in the playoffs this might be his best year of coaching.

As for Capers, I kind of doubt he gets another opportunity to be a head coach for a while. There are several great OC and DC's as well as former head coaches everybody craves. Throw a few college coaches in there as well. Everybody seems to be looking for the next great assistant who is young(Mike Tomlin), a former great NFL coach, or college candy. Capers really doesn't fit any of those, but he is one of many outstanding defensive coordinators with some age on him. I'll be happy to have him stay in GB for a while. We are blessed to have Capers, and IMO, Tom Clements, as coaches at their level.

rbaloha1
12-18-2010, 06:56 PM
Is MM a football genius like Belichek?

Pugger
12-18-2010, 07:02 PM
To me Capers is a magician if you think about it. He has a defense with several starters on IR and with the backups' backups and street FAs filling in he has molded our D into the top ranked D as far as scoring against and the #3 against the pass.

Bretsky
12-18-2010, 11:13 PM
Is MM a football genius like Belichek?

NO

MJZiggy
12-19-2010, 06:33 AM
NO

The Cleveland Browns may care to disagree with you. M3 is in his fourth year, the same year that Belichick finished with a 5-11 record and left the Browns. What about that 5-11 season leads you to believe that the Cheat has more genius in him than M3?

mmmdk
12-19-2010, 07:07 AM
The Cleveland Browns may care to disagree with you. M3 is in his fourth year, the same year that Belichick finished with a 5-11 record and left the Browns. What about that 5-11 season leads you to believe that the Cheat has more genius in him than M3?

I see your point but that logic doesn't here. The Browns were in shambles (moving) and in Belichicks 5 seasons in Cleveland; he actually managed a 36-44 regular season record and shockingly had a 1-1 record in the playoffs. It's the frecking Browns were talking about; after Beli they went 2-14 & 3-13 years later...the team had no talent before or after.

Also, Ravens went 4-12 in 1996, 6-9-1 in 1997, 6-10 in 1998 and finally went .500 in 1999 with 8-8 record. Ravens then won SB in 2000 with one of best defenses ever.

MJZiggy
12-19-2010, 07:52 AM
I see your point but that logic doesn't here. The Browns were in shambles (moving) and in Belichicks 5 seasons in Cleveland; he actually managed a 36-44 regular season record and shockingly had a 1-1 record in the playoffs. It's the frecking Browns were talking about; after Beli they went 2-14 & 3-13 years later...the team had no talent before or after.

Also, Ravens went 4-12 in 1996, 6-9-1 in 1997, 6-10 in 1998 and finally went .500 in 1999 with 8-8 record. Ravens then won SB in 2000 with one of best defenses ever.

He coached there BEFORE the move and it wasn't until the end of the season that the move was even mentioned. Don't buy your logic at ALL. He left when the move was announced. The move is no excuse. What you're suggesting is that the players weren't great so Belichick couldn't get more out of them than what they were. I like that M3 can get more out of his players some 3rd string, rookies, and former PS players than they would be on their own. He's playing with scrubs and getting wins out of them. By your logic that makes him better than Belichick. You should be loving all over M3 right now.

Bretsky
12-19-2010, 08:33 AM

I've listed on the NFL network about BB's stint with the Browns; they felt he got a raw deal and the year they left there was conflict among the management, several key injuries, and they had some bad breaks this year. To be honest I lack the knowledge about his Cleveland reign to make an argument either way.

To answer your last loaded question, how many SB's was MM a DC for ? How many did BB help with before going to the Pats ? I know that's not completely fair but I think your question is loaded so I give back a loaded answer.

What, if anything, about MM leads you to believe he has some of the Hoody genius in him ? We've watched him a few years and I don't think many will argue he's outstanding.

My guess is most feel he's alright

rbaloha1
12-19-2010, 10:51 AM
To me Capers is a magician if you think about it. He has a defense with several starters on IR and with the backups' backups and street FAs filling in he has molded our D into the top ranked D as far as scoring against and the #3 against the pass.

Magician? Its called coaching -- nothing magical.

rbaloha1
12-19-2010, 10:54 AM
I've listed on the NFL network about BB's stint with the Browns; they felt he got a raw deal and the year they left there was conflict among the management, several key injuries, and they had some bad breaks this year. To be honest I lack the knowledge about his Cleveland reign to make an argument either way.

To answer your last loaded question, how many SB's was MM a DC for ? How many did BB help with before going to the Pats ? I know that's not completely fair but I think your question is loaded so I give back a loaded answer.

What, if anything, about MM leads you to believe he has some of the Hoody genius in him ? We've watched him a few years and I don't think many will argue he's outstanding.

My guess is most feel he's alright

He is alright -- which means good regular season records, bad records in close games and poor playoff performance.