PDA

View Full Version : Announcement set in memorabillia fraud case

GBRulz
08-08-2006, 10:43 AM
Announcement set in memorabilia fraud case

Attorney General Peg Lautenschlager will hold a news conference today to make "a major announcement" in the investigation into allegedly fraudulent Brett Favre memorabilia sold at All Sports Marketing in Ashwaubenon.

State Department of Justice agents raided the store in January and seized framed photos, boxes of items and other memorabilia.

The news conference will be held at 2:30 p.m. in the Brown County Courthouse Rotunda.

— Press-Gazette

MORE INFO:
Tuesday afternoon, Wisconsin Attorney General Peg Lautenschlager is expected to release more information into an investigation about possible fake Packers memorabilia.

Lautenschlager plans to hold a news conference in the rotunda of the Brown County courthouse at 2:30. She says she'll make a "major announcement" in the investigation of allegedly fraudulent Brett Favre memorabilia sold at All Sports Marketing, which was located in Ashwaubenon.

Back in January, state Justice Department agents raided the store after Favre's agent believed the owner was selling items with forged autographs of the Packers quarterback. Agents confiscated framed photographs, autographed footballs, signed and unsigned posters, and various certificates of authenticity.

The agents also raided the owner's home. There they seized business documents like receipts and bank statements.

Seven months later no charges have been filed against the owner.

Row 67
08-08-2006, 10:47 AM
I always thought this story was overblown.

Looks like Lautenschlager is going to use it for her political advantage now.

Patler
08-08-2006, 11:33 AM
I always thought this story was overblown.

Looks like Lautenschlager is going to use it for her political advantage now.

Amazing how the investigation lasts from January until the start of the football season (and much closer to the election) before a major announcement can be made.

A press conference with the Attorney General based on the investigation of a sports memorablia store in Ashwaubenon? It better be a whole lot bigger than the few items that were confiscated, like a statewide or nationwide ring of fraudulent dealers.

GBRulz
08-08-2006, 03:49 PM
Criminal charges filed in Favre memorabilia investigation

By Andy Nelesen
anelesen@greenbaypressgazette.com

The Wisconsin Attorney General’s Office today filed a 12-count criminal complaint against the owners of an Ashwaubenon sports memorabilia shop and the owner of an Ashwaubenon printing company for dealing in fake Brett Favre memorabilia.

Named in the complaint were Michael “Whitey” Van Lanen, and his wife, Cynthia Van Lanen, and Paul J. Vidani III, of De Pere. The Van Lanens own All Sports Marketing on Holmgren Way, while Vidani owns Green Bay Blue nearby.

The criminal complaint includes charges of: theft by fraud, identity theft, several counts of trafficking in counterfeit mark, and one count of obstruction of justice. The complaint alleges that Michael Van Lanen sold merchandise with bogus Bret Favre autographs at All Sports Marketing.

The complaint goes on to allege that Vidani manufactured the photographs at the nearby Green Bay Blue.

State Department of Justice agents raided All Sports Marketing on Jan. 20, seizing carloads of photos, memorabilia and figurines, including bobble head dolls and a 3-foot tall statue.

The agents were executing a search warrant on the store, as part of an investigation prompted by complaints from Packers quarterback Brett Favre and Dave Thomason, who manages Favre’s autographed memorabilia sales and is involved in the Brett Favre Fourward Foundation.

Thomason alleged that Van Lanen’s shop was selling items with forged autographs. Questions about the items’ authenticity arose in October 2004, Thomason told the Press-Gazette in January.

Private investigators working for Favre's associate and Justice Department agents working undercover purchased items from the shop, which were later allegedly found to be bogus. Those buys were used as the basis for obtaining a warrant to raid the store.

After agents began searching the store, they went to Van Lanen's Allouez home and talked with him about their investigation, according to search warrant affidavits. Van Lanen told agents that he used his home computer to buy some of the Favre memorabilia over the Internet and had eBay records detailing the purchases, according to the warrant documents.

Justice agents served a search warrants on Van Lanen’s Allouez home a week later.

Agents took two computer hard drives and five computer disks along with bank records, invoices and online auction records from Van Lanen’s Coachman Court home Jan. 27.

In addition to the computer items and financial records, agents also seized writing instruments, trading cards, certificates of authenticity, photos, posters and picture paper from Van Lanen's home, according to warrant.

Van Lanen’s memorabilia store at 2039 Holmgren Way has been closed for months. The property is vacant and a “for rent” sign hangs in the window.

Deputy Nutz
08-08-2006, 04:23 PM
Speaking of memorabilla and merchandise, I was at the Packer Pro Shop yesterday to get stuff for the fam and everything. I got myself a long sleeve tee for 19.99, then I went to get a shirt for my wife and the comparable item in the womens section was at least 5 dollars more expensive. They really stick it to women, I guess they figure if women like it they will by it regardless of the price, I guess I am just dumb enough not to by a smaller size in the men's style for my wife, Instead I bought her some packer underwear!

GBRulz
08-09-2006, 08:38 AM
Possibly their profit margin on the mens items are lower because you can buy Packer mens stuff anywhere in this town. Women Packer clothing is hard to find and the Pro Shop is one of the few places that have a decent selection of it. So yeah, the prices are higher.

Honestly though, enough of the pink stuff already. I love my pink Packer hat (the breast cancer one) but there has to be a line...and wearing a pink Packer jersey is passed the line for me!

GBRulz
08-09-2006, 08:39 AM
Two charged in Favre autograph investigation

Men sold duplicated signatures as originals, state agents say

By Andy Nelesen
anelesen@greenbaypressgazette.com

The owners of two Ashwaubenon businesses face 36 years behind bars and $815,000 in fines for allegedly duplicating high-quality prints bearing Green Bay Packers quarterback Brett Favre's autograph and selling them as the real deal.

State Department of Justice investigators allege that Michael Van Lanen, 49, sold duplicated prints at his now-defunct All Sports Marketing between December 2004 and January 2006.

Authorities allege that the poster-sized prints were duplicated at Green Bay Blue and have charged owner Paul Vidani III, 59, in the same criminal complaint filed Tuesday against Van Lanen in Brown County court.

The men face three counts of trafficking in counterfeit marks, three counts of unauthorized use of mark with intent to deceive and three counts of unauthorized use of mark, theft by fraud and identity theft.

Van Lanen's wife, Cynthia, is charged with misdemeanor obstruction of justice for allegedly lying to investigators. That carries the potential of nine months in jail.

Justice agents visited All Sports Marketing on three occasions in 2005 and bought items that Van Lanen allegedly said were autographed by Favre during signings at a local sports bar, the complaint said.

Investigators later determined that the items were duplicates. Investigators believe three prints and a framed version of an ESPN Magazine cover were duplicated at Green Bay Blue and sold as authentic autographed items.

Wisconsin Attorney General Peg Lautenschlager said Tuesday that investigators have no evidence that Favre's signature was forged, but was rather duplicated and sold as original. The criminal complaint alleges Van Lanen and Vidani may have sold as many as 94 duplicated prints. The value is estimated at more than $10,000.

An attorney for Vidani said his client is innocent and did not believe he was involved in fraud when selling the prints to Van Lanen. Efforts to reach Michael Van Lanen's lawyer were unsuccessful Tuesday. An attorney for Cynthia Van Lanen declined to comment.