View Full Version : Giants Week

Tony Oday
12-22-2010, 09:59 AM
AR is in...sweet!

Any news on Jenkins?

Can we shut down the Giants run game?

Fritz
12-22-2010, 10:18 AM
I think Jenkins is out again. They're hoping to have him back for da Bears game. And Zombo is iffy. What about Collins? What's the word?

Brando19
12-22-2010, 10:34 PM
Collins was at practice, but didn't fully participate. I'd say he'll go. I haven't been this nervous about a game since the 2007-08 playoff game against the Giants. We all remember that outcome. Let's kick some Eli ass!!!

channtheman
12-23-2010, 02:50 AM
We win big, not even close. 35 -17. Meaningless TD scored in final 2 minutes by the Giants.

VermontPackFan
12-23-2010, 10:03 AM
We win big, not even close. 35 -17. Meaningless TD scored in final 2 minutes by the Giants.

You must be assuming that the Giants are throwing in the towel after last weeks heart breaker to the Eagles? I see it as two evenly matched teams both playing for the final playoff berth. Luckily its in Lambeau. Im sure our D will be able to handle the Giants offense, although I can see them controlling the clock with a productive run game. That in turn will lead to fewer offensive opportunities for us which means any turnovers will be even more crippling. Our offensive line will have a tough time with their front 7 but in the end I see Rodgers pulling out a 4th quarter victory in a low scoring contest.
Zero turnovers for us will be KEY!

denverYooper
12-23-2010, 10:18 AM
You must be assuming that the Giants are throwing in the towel after last weeks heart breaker to the Eagles? I see it as two evenly matched teams both playing for the final playoff berth. Luckily its in Lambeau. Im sure our D will be able to handle the Giants offense, although I can see them controlling the clock with a productive run game. That in turn will lead to fewer offensive opportunities for us which means any turnovers will be even more crippling. Our offensive line will have a tough time with their front 7 but in the end I see Rodgers pulling out a 4th quarter victory in a low scoring contest.

Even on special teams!

mraynrand
12-23-2010, 11:54 AM

Good analysis, but your conclusion doesn't follow. This game looks like an epic wipe out. Packers will get slaughtered in the trenches: 200+ yards rushing for the Giants, and the Packers O line gets pulverized. I'm guessing the Packers score 2-3 times, for 9 or 13 points. Giants should be able to score 5-6 times, probably for 34 points. Packers will be very lucky if Rodgers doesn't suffer a season and career-ending concussion. The season's over. If it goes really badly, this could be the franchise-ender.

Freak Out
12-23-2010, 12:13 PM
Bad dog!

HowardRoark
12-23-2010, 12:13 PM
If it goes really badly, this could be the franchise-ender.

What's the American Legion going to do with a billion dollars?

swede
12-23-2010, 12:52 PM
What's the American Legion going to do with a billion dollars?

Buy the Shriners?

denverYooper
12-23-2010, 01:35 PM
Clay Matthews was in pads today for the first time in a month.

Nick Collins practiced also.

The Shadow
12-23-2010, 02:18 PM
My 3 keys :
1. Capers HAS to find creative ways to get pressure on Manning. If not, we will lose.
2. If McCarthy spends yet another 1st quarter trying to find out what he wants to do, it's goodnight for the playoffs.
I hope Rodgers has complete free rein to call audibles in this game. The Pack needs to finally play a complete game
with the offensive pedal to the metal.
3. Our abominable special teams must play at least at an acceptable level. Slocum has demonstrated he is not an NFL
coach & needs to be canned - but he needs to get a decent performance from his squad here.

denverYooper
12-23-2010, 02:18 PM
GB practiced outside today. That should provide them enough grit to win.

And since Clay practiced, he'll be good for 2+ sacks.

lol

Tony Oday
12-23-2010, 03:23 PM
80 yards rushing
3 TDs for AR
Defense shuts down Jacobs and Bradshaw
CMIII gets 3 sacks and hits Eli so hard he is sent back in time to get hit by CMII

VermontPackFan
12-24-2010, 09:20 AM
Good analysis, but your conclusion doesn't follow. This game looks like an epic wipe out. Packers will get slaughtered in the trenches: 200+ yards rushing for the Giants, and the Packers O line gets pulverized. I'm guessing the Packers score 2-3 times, for 9 or 13 points. Giants should be able to score 5-6 times, probably for 34 points. Packers will be very lucky if Rodgers doesn't suffer a season and career-ending concussion. The season's over. If it goes really badly, this could be the franchise-ender.

Your right, I suppose this game has the potential to go that route if all phases of our game break down and are dominated by the Giants. But I dont see that happening...Some unit will step up their game in this do or die situation.

Who will it be? Our offensive line protecing Rodgers and opening running lanes or our front seven stopping a very good ground game. As I said in my original post, I think the Giants ground game will be productive, especially w/Jenkins out. This is going to limit our offensive touches but I am predicting our Oline mans up and plays well against a dominant Dline. Clifton & Bulaga are the keys here, I have been critical of BB but think he bounces back on Sunday to justify us picking him in the 1st round.

Tony Oday
12-24-2010, 09:30 AM
I have been critical of BB but think he bounces back on Sunday to justify us picking him in the 1st round.

This is a Joke right? Justify picking him in the 1st round?! He has already done that, remember he is a rookie! Do you know ANY rookies that come out on O Line and are shut down tackles? NO!bc

mraynrand
12-24-2010, 09:31 AM
Your right, I suppose this game has the potential to go that route if all phases of our game break down and are dominated by the Giants. But I dont see that happening...Some unit will step up their game in this do or die situation.

Who will it be? Our offensive line protecing Rodgers and opening running lanes or our front seven stopping a very good ground game. As I said in my original post, I think the Giants ground game will be productive, especially w/Jenkins out. This is going to limit our offensive touches but I am predicting our Oline mans up and plays well against a dominant Dline. Clifton & Bulaga are the keys here, I have been critical of BB but think he bounces back on Sunday to justify us picking him in the 1st round.

I like your optimism, but I can't agree. The Giants are a perfect (from their perspective) matchup for the Packers. Their strengths match the Packer's weaknesses. If the Lions could roll up 180 on the Pack, the Giants should be able to roll up 200 plus - especially since they have a QB and receivers to give the Packers fits. The middle of the field will be wide open too, especially if the Packers cheat Peprah or Collins up on run downs. On offense, the Packers O-line is going to get obliterated. I'm predicting 3 first downs for the Packers in the first half. The only hope is that Eli has one of his 'Viking' games - but even then, with multiple interceptions, the Packers still might not be able to move the ball at all.

Fritz
12-24-2010, 09:38 AM
Geez mraynrand...

Mazzin
12-24-2010, 11:29 AM
This is a Joke right? Justify picking him in the 1st round?! He has already done that, remember he is a rookie! Do you know ANY rookies that come out on O Line and are shut down tackles? NO!bc

Jake Long? He is in a diff league obviously, oh yea, and D'Brickashaw Ferguson?

bobblehead
12-24-2010, 11:33 AM
Joe Thomas, Tony Boselli, Jonathon Ogden.

Of course the GREATS dominate right away, but BB has been solid, he still must improve and with the mighty campen coaching him up, its almost a lock.

mraynrand
12-24-2010, 11:55 AM
Geez mraynrand...

I'm just doing you a favor. Enjoy your Christmas - be thankful it is before the game, because Packer fans aren't going to be feeling good about the Packers until next September. Sunday will be an epic blowout.

denverYooper
12-24-2010, 12:09 PM
Jake Long? He is in a diff league obviously, oh yea, and D'Brickashaw Ferguson?

Long is very good. Ferguson gave up 10.5 sacks in his rookie year and 13.25 his second. Bulaga is at 10.00 according to Stats, Inc.

Keep in mind also that Bulaga switched sides.

Tony Oday
12-24-2010, 12:29 PM
The people on this board expect EVERY 1st round pick to be legendary...

Bretsky
12-24-2010, 12:46 PM
Some OT's do step right in though. Not sure how but they have. The guy that came to my mind right away is Joe Thomas.

I'm fine with Buluga. I think he'll be a fine OL for many years to come. But unlike some in here, I think he was drafted where he should have been. He has some weaknesses in his game that caused him to be graded down from the guys taken above him and I think he's a late first round guy.

Sitton and Bulaga would be the two I have most confidence in for two years from now

Tony Oday
12-24-2010, 12:55 PM
Long is very good. Ferguson gave up 10.5 sacks in his rookie year and 13.25 his second. Bulaga is at 10.00 according to Stats, Inc.

Keep in mind also that Bulaga switched sides.

D'Brick was a 4th pick, Long 1st overall, BB 23rd overall...

retailguy
12-24-2010, 01:23 PM
The people on this board expect EVERY 1st round pick to be legendary...

People everywhere expect every 1st round pick to be legendary.

retailguy
12-24-2010, 01:27 PM
Some OT's do step right in though. Not sure how but they have. The guy that came to my mind right away is Joe Thomas.

I'm fine with Buluga. I think he'll be a fine OL for many years to come. But unlike some in here, I think he was drafted where he should have been. He has some weaknesses in his game that caused him to be graded down from the guys taken above him and I think he's a late first round guy.

Sitton and Bulaga would be the two I have most confidence in for two years from now

They are the only two likely to be on the roster 2 years from now. Jury out on the new guy.

Smidgeon
12-24-2010, 02:26 PM
They are the only two likely to be on the roster 2 years from now. Jury out on the new guy.

I think Lang's got a shot. And both Newhouse and McDonald have shots to be on the roster in two years just because GB tends to let even bad players stick around for two to three years (Giacomini, Barbre).

VermontPackFan
12-25-2010, 07:08 AM

No Im not kidding, he started strong but has been shakey at best over the past 5 games. He was embarrassed in both the SF & Detroit games. Im hoping he has hit the rookie wall and am predicting he has a strong game on Sunday but by no means has he demonstrated that he is the long term solution to RT or LT to date. He has potential but simply has not played well this year...

How about Michael Oher? Picked 23rd I think, dominated as a RT in rookie year moved to LT the next...

bobblehead
12-25-2010, 10:28 AM
Oher didn't "dominate" as a rookie. He was good, solid, reliable, but not dominant.

Incidently, that is who I was begging for at #9, but I can live with the Raji/Mathews picks I guess.

denverYooper
12-25-2010, 10:28 AM
No Im not kidding, he started strong but has been shakey at best over the past 5 games. He was embarrassed in both the SF & Detroit games. Im hoping he has hit the rookie wall and am predicting he has a strong game on Sunday but by no means has he demonstrated that he is the long term solution to RT or LT to date. He has potential but simply has not played well this year...

How about Michael Oher? Picked 23rd I think, dominated as a RT in rookie year moved to LT the next...

Oher's good but not shutdown. He's struggled at times in both positions, not unlike BB.

Smidgeon
12-25-2010, 10:49 AM
Oher didn't "dominate" as a rookie. He was good, solid, reliable, but not dominant.

Incidently, that is who I was begging for at #9, but I can live with the Raji/Mathews picks I guess.

:D

TennesseePackerBacker
12-25-2010, 12:58 PM
I'm just doing you a favor. Enjoy your Christmas - be thankful it is before the game, because Packer fans aren't going to be feeling good about the Packers until next September. Sunday will be an epic blowout.

I think you're wrong. I'll be back to bump this when you are.

Pugger
12-25-2010, 01:38 PM
My 3 keys :
1. Capers HAS to find creative ways to get pressure on Manning. If not, we will lose.
2. If McCarthy spends yet another 1st quarter trying to find out what he wants to do, it's goodnight for the playoffs.
I hope Rodgers has complete free rein to call audibles in this game. The Pack needs to finally play a complete game
3. Our abominable special teams must play at least at an acceptable level. Slocum has demonstrated he is not an NFL
coach & needs to be canned - but he needs to get a decent performance from his squad here.

I heard their ST is worse than ours!!! :shock:

Fritz
12-25-2010, 04:27 PM

Usually I find you to be one of the most reasonable and thoughtful posters here. Thus, your post troubles me. What if you're right?

Let's hope you're wrong, epically wrong.

mraynrand
12-25-2010, 09:09 PM
Usually I find you to be one of the most reasonable and thoughtful posters here. Thus, your post troubles me. What if you're right?

I hope I'm wrong too. This matchup really bothers me.

Bretsky
12-25-2010, 09:32 PM
My 3 keys :

GREAT POST

Fritz
12-26-2010, 10:30 AM
But what if Capers finds non-creative ways to get pressure on Manning? Will we still lose then?

MadtownPacker
12-26-2010, 10:53 AM

Usually I find you to be one of the most ignorant and brainless posters here. Thus, your post comforts me. You calling PETA boy Mraynrand anything besides a negative SOB verifies it.

MadtownPacker
12-26-2010, 10:56 AM
But what if Capers finds non-creative ways to get pressure on Manning? Will we still lose then?
See above.

Manning aint losing this game, just like he aint winning it. He is gonna fuck up, like almost every game. Is his run game and D gonna win it for him like 2007 is the only question.

Fritz
12-26-2010, 01:43 PM
Usually I find you to be one of the most ignorant and brainless posters here. Thus, your post comforts me. You calling PETA boy Mraynrand anything besides a negative SOB verifies it.

I love you too, Mad!

MJZiggy
12-26-2010, 06:30 PM

Somebody rub his nose in that mess, swat him with a rolled up newspaper and put him outside! Bad, BAD boy!:butt:

channtheman
12-26-2010, 06:31 PM

Wrong score, same result.

bobblehead
12-26-2010, 08:18 PM
Somebody rub his nose in that mess, swat him with a rolled up newspaper and put him outside! Bad, BAD boy!:butt:

consider his nose rubbed.

The Shadow
12-26-2010, 10:44 PM
I thought an unmentioned great contribution today was made by Desmond Bishop, who used his finger to keep theGiant fumble in bounds for Collins to recover.
Sometimes. it's the little unrecognized efforts that make the difference.

bobblehead
12-27-2010, 08:45 AM
I thought an unmentioned great contribution today was made by Desmond Bishop, who used his finger to keep theGiant fumble in bounds for Collins to recover.

Yep, interesting play. Both Bishop and Mathews blew position on the play to let it spring, then Mathews shows great effort to cause the fumble and Bishop to keep it alive for his team. Neither guy sulked or cried, they recovered and turned it into a huge play for the Defense instead.

The Shadow
12-27-2010, 06:21 PM
GREAT POST

Thanks, Bretsky.

Freak Out
12-27-2010, 07:33 PM
What did the Giant DB who guaranteed a win have to say after the game? :)

channtheman
12-28-2010, 12:15 AM
What did the Giant DB who guaranteed a win have to say after the game? :)

Well the game didn't end in a tie... so I think he was right.

VermontPackFan
12-28-2010, 09:56 AM

I thought the same thing, he was the unsung hero on that play which came at a critical time in the game. DB has really stepped up his game, I am glad he finally got his opportunity while still wearing Green & Gold.
After I watched it again, I wondered how legal it was? I wonder if the officials thought about it at all or whether they missed it altogether? I am assuming that batting/kicking/throwing the ball ( in a much more obvious way that DB did on that play) was illegal, anyone know for sure?

bobblehead
12-28-2010, 10:09 AM
I thought the same thing, he was the unsung hero on that play which came at a critical time in the game. DB has really stepped up his game, I am glad he finally got his opportunity while still wearing Green & Gold.
After I watched it again, I wondered how legal it was? I wonder if the officials thought about it at all or whether they missed it altogether? I am assuming that batting/kicking/throwing the ball ( in a much more obvious way that DB did on that play) was illegal, anyone know for sure?

Perfectly legal. The only thing you can't do is ADVANCE a fumble in the last 2 minutes of a half (the ken stabler rule). Actually I don't think you can kick it, but no one did on that play.

VermontPackFan
12-28-2010, 11:16 AM
Sounds like as long you do not attempt to advance the ball you can whatever you need to do to keep it in bounds. Thanks for the response.