PDA

View Full Version : Whacky theory on Favre's bad 2005 season

gureski
08-08-2006, 12:37 PM
This popped into my head today and I thought I'd toss it out there.

The big story going into 2005 was how Favre was re-dedicated and working out with a personal trainer. He was supposedly in the best condition of his career and yadayadayada...

We know that team injuries had a serious effect on Favre last year BUT with that said, there were some games and plays that made you question whether something was wrong with him.

What if....

What if all that conditioning screwed up Favre's timing which then caused him to change his decision making which led to a loss of confidence? We'd never have seen it this way because the immediate thoughts of why this happened was all tied to injuries or Favre's age/mentality.

When I think back to last year Favre seemed off a hair in some games and not like himself. I wonder if this isn't a case where all that extra work he did had such a drastic change, athletically, in his game that it threw off his timing? With the timing off, that screws up his decision making and bam...you get what we saw last year.

This year we've heard he didn't do all the things he did last year and Favre has been looking sharp, by all reports, thus far in camp and in the scrimmage.

It's kind of crazy but I wonder if the workouts last year had a negative effect when all was said and done. Did it throw off his timing in live game situations?

Crazy but interesting to ponder...

Patler
08-08-2006, 12:41 PM
Intersting theory, but it does not explain why Favre was actually pretty good through the first 6-8 games, and deteriorated remarkably (at least in my opinion) the second half of the season.

gureski
08-08-2006, 12:50 PM
Intersting theory, but it does not explain why Favre was actually pretty good through the first 6-8 games, and deteriorated remarkably (at least in my opinion) the second half of the season.

Sure it does. Towards the end of the season the burdon of winning fell squarely on his shoulders. Where-as in the earlier games he could more utilize the talent around him and just run the offense, towards the end he had to take on more of a playmaker attitude and if he was a step faster in his movements and the receivers he played with were a step slower.....boom...that explains it. The timing is off double in that instance. When you're a playmaker you depend on yourself and if you have to adjust to something new from yourself.....after a decade of having things go the same speed....that's big. Age happens slowly so you adjust to that. This would've been a fast change in his athletic ability and it all happened over one off-season and not in the confines of team practice. It's interesting.

Patler
08-08-2006, 01:29 PM

Sure it does. Towards the end of the season the burdon of winning fell squarely on his shoulders. Where-as in the earlier games he could more utilize the talent around him and just run the offense, towards the end he had to take on more of a playmaker attitude and if he was a step faster in his movements and the receivers he played with were a step slower.....boom...that explains it. The timing is off double in that instance. When you're a playmaker you depend on yourself and if you have to adjust to something new from yourself.....after a decade of having things go the same speed....that's big. Age happens slowly so you adjust to that. This would've been a fast change in his athletic ability and it all happened over one off-season and not in the confines of team practice. It's interesting.

Only problem with that explanation is that by mid season he had already had literally THOUSANDS of repetitions in training camp, preseason games, regular season games and regular season practices to adjust to his new found strength, quickness etc.

Sorry, interesting but not very convincing to me.

Creepy
08-08-2006, 01:32 PM
Getting in hsape should not have effected his play. He has done the same thing this year as last and worked with a personal trainer. As far as reports go he looks to be in the same shape as last year.

Last year was a bad year for the entire team. Maybe the old talk of, "as long as they have Favre, they have chance", is what screwed him last year. When the coaches, the media, the fans and everybody else expects you to carry a team, maybe you try to hard instead of letting others help.

This year it looks like their telling Favre you don't have to carry the team. Lest go back to basics where the team wins instead of you winning it for them.

The physical side I think helped Favre from becoming and injury and that is all. Last year he goofed, the team goofed, and they lost. Nothing more to it than that. It wasn't all Bretts fault, but like the rest of team he helped in the losing.

woodbuck27
08-08-2006, 01:32 PM
gureski:

I think your saying that Favre was in too good a shape for his own good?

What I saw last season was a QB that was playing very well after 6 games (OUR record at 1-5). Favre was leading the NFL in TD's and with a solid QB rating of about 93 or a QB rating about 6 over his average. He had I believe, 8 picks.

That loss to "the Vikings" in Game #6 of the season was a killer. He was "in shock" when the Vikings came back from a 17 point deficit. You'll recall. Paul Edinger kicked a career-long 56-yard field goal as time ran out, lifting Minny past the Packers 23-20. Both DD and Favre were in shock ,and Brett Favre was reading the playbook to get ready for OT, as who felt that Paul Edinger would hit that long one? Favre certainly didn't as hed was concentrating still - on the way to win.

That tore the guts out of Favre, out of the PACKERS, OUT OF US FANS, A win in that game, would have put us back in the NFCNorth picture.

The following week it was five picks Vs "the Bengals" and Favre still had us in that one late until that fan incident.

PART of the story from the 21-14 Bengals over Packers:

No way Brett Favre will forget this one.

He threw five interceptions, something he'd never done in the regular season. He had a fan steal the ball from his hand during a futile last-minute drive, something he'd never seen before.

And his illegal forward pass let the Cincinnati Bengals hold on for a 21-14 victory that left the Green Bay Packers quarterback lying motionless on the field, exhausted and overwhelmed by it all.

"I said to myself, 'This is way too difficult week-in and week-out.' It's hard to make a living that way each week,"' Favre said.

This one was as tough as any during his 13-year career.

Now we were only one win in seven games and we loose again in OUR 8th game Vs " the Steelers " 20 - 10. Favre had to be absolutely burnt out then.

He never prepared better for a season as last year and the bottom just came out of it. It never got alot better the rest of the season. Brett Fvare certainly never played to loose but OUR SEason was toast, and with it Brett Favre.

GO PACKERS ! HOLD THE FAITH !!