PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Rookies

Smidgeon
12-25-2010, 10:35 AM
I may be wrong, but I'm not sure Green Bay's had as (seemingly) solid a bunch of rookies as the ones TT brought in this year. Yes, 2009 was perhaps better in terms of talent (Raji and Matthews both in round 1 look to be stars for a long time), but I don't think anybody in this year's class has flamed out or just plain bombed. I think that's pretty impressive and bodes well for the future.

Except for Newhouse and McDonald, who are both developmental O-line prospects and thus haven't played much, the only one I'm not sold on yet is Burnett. But that's only because he seemed tentative and hesitant to hit someone. That could simply be because he was learning on the fly and was still thinking too much. I think his value will show more next year. Hopefully Mike Neal can stay healthy next year too.

(1-23) Bryan Bulaga, T, Iowa
(2-56) Mike Neal, DE, Purdue
(3-71) Morgan Burnett, S, Georgia Tech
(5-154) Andrew Quarless, TE, Penn State
(5-169) Marshall Newhouse, T, Texas Christian
(6-193) James Starks, RB, Buffalo
(7-230) C.J. Wilson, DE, East Carolina
(FA) Nick McDonald, C-G, Grand Valley State
(FA) Frank Zombo, OLB, Central Michigan
(FA) Sam Shields, CB, Miami

bobblehead
12-25-2010, 10:41 AM
Its ok, but too early to tell. Burnett got burned multiple times while everyone was praising him. (never understood the love). Several players MIGHT work out. It'll be hard to ever beat the Raji/Mathews combo, and I still think Lang will end up a solid starter. Throw in Brad Jones who at least appears to be a borderline starter and that was a hell of a draft.

Brandon494
12-25-2010, 10:47 AM
Bryan Bulaga has been struggling of late and Quarles has done just ok this season dropping way too much passes.

Burnett wasnt playing great but he was playing well before the injury. I believe he'll be a starter for awhile in GB.

Smidgeon
12-25-2010, 10:52 AM
Just to be clear, I'm referring more to the fact that no one seemed to bomb out on day 1. There always seems to be one or two in every draft who just don't belong on the field. I'm not saying the class is amazing by any means. They need to keep showing up. But I'm impressed that nobody's played themselves off the team yet.

Fritz
12-25-2010, 11:40 AM
Really hard to judge what a guy will be in the NFL in just one year. Some guys, maybe you can tell - Matthews - but most you don't really know about for a few years.

Smidgeon
01-26-2011, 04:13 PM

Super Bowl starter/near starters in bold. Injured but started more than one game during the season in italics.

Not bad at all.

HarveyWallbangers
01-26-2011, 04:22 PM
I think it has the makings of being a really solid class with no superstars but a bunch of starters.

Bulaga - I think he'll be solid starter for 10 years
Neal - I really liked what I saw there. If he doesn't pull a Harrell, I think he'll be a solid starter
Burnett - Yes, he struggled a bit, but he looks like he has playmaking potential. If he returns to health, I see him as a future starter.
Quarless - I really like this kid long-term.
Newhouse - who knows
Starks - I don't see star potential, but I see a guy who could be part of a good 1-2 combo.
Wilson - He's been a real surprise. I think he and Neal are likely going to make Jenkins expendable.
McDonald - who knows
Zombo - I think he has limited potential, but he could carve out a niche as a backup and special teams guy
Shields - not much else needs to be said about him.

They really could have 5-6 solid starters out of this group easy.

sheepshead
01-26-2011, 04:25 PM
Bryan Bulaga has been struggling of late and Quarles has done just ok this season dropping way too much passes.

Burnett wasnt playing great but he was playing well before the injury. I believe he'll be a starter for awhile in GB.

wait a minute, Quarless has been playing better than Bulaga?

Guiness
01-26-2011, 04:27 PM
Super Bowl starter/near starters in bold. Injured but started more than one game during the season in italics.

Not bad at all.

Did you mess up the formatting? Newhouse and McDonal didn't start a game this year. I don't think either of them even saw the field.

Freaky to see (FA) Sam Shields. How did that happen? I bet a lot of personal guys around the league are asking themselves that.

Smidgeon
01-26-2011, 04:38 PM
Did you mess up the formatting? Newhouse and McDonal didn't start a game this year. I don't think either of them even saw the field.

Freaky to see (FA) Sam Shields. How did that happen? I bet a lot of personal guys around the league are asking themselves that.

I fixed it. Apparently when you quote something now, the entire thing is in italics. Unless there's a setting I'm missing...?

Patler
01-26-2011, 05:20 PM
Tim Masthay sort of deserves to be included on this years list, too. Not a "rookie" technically, but a first year player who was signed by the Colts in May 2009 and cut in August. Didn't even make it to the first preseason game for them. Sat out the season and then came to GB last January. Completely inexperienced.

cheesner
01-26-2011, 07:24 PM

1. Failed a drug test
2. Was not good enough a WR to make it
3. Only played 1 season as DB
4. Was good, but not great
5. Much better athelete than a football player in college

Who knew he would study so diligently, accept coaching, and seek and utilize a mentor so readily.

There are dozens of guys who come out every year who have just as much physical talent and most fail because they don't work as hard as Sam has.

Patler
01-26-2011, 07:37 PM
There are dozens of guys who come out every year who have just as much physical talent and most fail because they don't work as hard as Sam has.

The Packers have an example on their own team in Brandon Underwood. Not the athlete that Shields is, but from reports over two years also not nearly as committed as Shields is. Plenty good enough as an athlete to be contributing more than he is.

Packers4Glory
01-26-2011, 07:43 PM
Quarless is a big disappointment. I thought he had some natural talent an ability but he's been pretty shitty and invisible so far. He doesn't have to be Finley or great, he just has to be decent. maybe he'll have a break out game in 2 weeks.

HarveyWallbangers
01-26-2011, 09:14 PM
Quarless is further along than Finley was at this point in his career. I like what I've seen out of Quarless. He's played pretty well for a rookie midround pick.

mraynrand
01-26-2011, 09:25 PM
Quarless is further along than Finley was at this point in his career. I like what I've seen out of Quarless. He's played pretty well for a rookie midround pick.

I agree. He's all right. It would have been big if he had caught that fastball from Rodgers, but that thing was a heater....

Smidgeon
01-26-2011, 11:40 PM
Plus, Quarless has freely admitted that he's hit a rookie wall and is doing everything he can to just be competitive. I expect much greater things from him next year.

vince
01-27-2011, 03:28 AM
One year isn't enough time to make a conclusive evaluation. I get that. But it's noteworthy to see how these guys are trending at this point. With Masthay, there are 9 or 10 guys that are trending toward solid to very good.

A number of them are already there and only going to get better. Bulaga for instance. Yeah he's had some inconsistencies, but he's also had some very solid games and performed well against some seriously tough matchups. We didn't hear Peppers' name much other than the head-to-head play, and he was matched up with Bulaga much of the day. Given his inexperience and switch to the opposite side to boot, I don't see how you can't like what you've seen so far knowing that he's really young yet, is well-grounded and has a great work ethic. There's nothing that I can see that doesn't make me think he won't get stronger and continue to improve his technique and be an extremely reliable performer at minimum at a vital position.

You could make similar statements about a bunch of guys in this class. Neal, Burnett, Starks, Shields, Masthay. I think McDonald very well develop into a beast based on his natural ability, work ethic, size. This offseason will be important for him.

I'm not as high as many on Quarless or Newhouse, but you can't count them out, particularly Quarless. Zombo's ceiling probably isn't real high, but he's going to give everything he's got and then some.

About the worst negative for a bunch of these guys is that it's only been a year and you just don't know yet. This class has shown enough to have a real chance to be off-the-charts good as a group. That's about as objective an evaluation as you can get. Anything less than that and you need to put down the haterade.;-)

RashanGary
01-27-2011, 07:18 AM

I like your first post, agree with most of it. Burnett is still a wait and see for me.

With Quarless, I'm with you. I don't think he has as reliable of hands as Finley, but he's faster. After a full offseason in the training room, he's going to come back a nice weapon to pair with Finley and scare defenses.

swede
01-27-2011, 07:41 AM
Zombo may be understudying for the Brady Popinga role--good spot starter, will do anything for the team, expendable when the next better football player comes along.

Packers4Glory
01-27-2011, 08:19 AM
Zombo may be understudying for the Brady Popinga role--good spot starter, will do anything for the team, expendable when the next better football player comes along.

that was going to be my next post. Zombo is the new Brady P.

I hope Quarless can develop and give this team 2 weapons at TE in the near future. Right now, our TE's in our offense are almost non-existent. They might get a goal line call, but its basically a gimmick to surprise the defense ala Crabtree's TD catch. But right now our TE aren't having much, if any, impact in the offensive passing game. I'd hoped by the time we got to the later weeks in the season that Quarless or Lee would have bigger roles and at least give the defenses something to think about and have to cover. i just don't see that being the case. Maybe its just MM has fallen in love w/ his 3 and 4 WR sets and hasn't made an attempt to involve the TE more.

I'd hate to try an outsmart myself if I were MM, but if he can get Quarless or Lee involved in the offense a little early in the Super Bowl, that might open things up more for the WR's. They are not going to be paying a whole lot of attention to them. Running is going to be tough so lets let them think our TE are gonna stay and pass protect and hit them on some slants and quick outs. IF Quarless can catch the damn ball he might be able to use his speed for some big yards on a quick hitter over the middle like the ball he missed vs chicago.

Smeefers
01-27-2011, 08:40 AM
I'm going to tag along with those who liked Quarless. I think he's playing great for a rookie. I don't think he's going to be as good as Finely, but then again, I think Finely is going to be as good as Gonzolaz/Gates. I'm with Swede on Zombo, perfectly said.

Brandon494
01-27-2011, 08:42 AM

That doenst mean anything. Donald Lee had a better rookie season then Finley. Quarless has very average hands right now and we need to stop going to him crucial plays.

SkinBasket
01-27-2011, 08:44 AM
Quarless is going to benefit immensely when Finley's also on the field with Jennings and Driver out wide and a running back who doesn't suck turds in the backfield. If he can learn to catch a football anyway.

Smeefers
01-27-2011, 08:46 AM
That doenst mean anything. Donald Lee had a better rookie season then Finley. Quarless has very average hands right now and we need to stop going to him crucial plays.

Oh! Yeah, totally. *This year.* He's running on fumes at this point and everyone can see it. I just see a lot of potential in the guy. I think he played pretty well considering the shoes he had to fill, but I don't think I'd ever make a rookie a go to guy. Ever. Especially on a 5 wide set.

wist43
01-27-2011, 08:59 AM
I may be wrong, but I'm not sure Green Bay's had as (seemingly) solid a bunch of rookies as the ones TT brought in this year. Yes, 2009 was perhaps better in terms of talent (Raji and Matthews both in round 1 look to be stars for a long time), but I don't think anybody in this year's class has flamed out or just plain bombed. I think that's pretty impressive and bodes well for the future.

Except for Newhouse and McDonald, who are both developmental O-line prospects and thus haven't played much, the only one I'm not sold on yet is Burnett. But that's only because he seemed tentative and hesitant to hit someone. That could simply be because he was learning on the fly and was still thinking too much. I think his value will show more next year. Hopefully Mike Neal can stay healthy next year too.

Shields, Bulaga, and Neal make this draft for me; Burnett has a chance to be a good player; and there is a lot of potential underneath that.

Williams and Shields rising to the level of play that they have, has completely changed what Capers is able to do with coverages and blitzes. So from that standpoint, Shields is the most important off season pick up.

In the front 7, I actually think the injuries and loss of Jolly forced Capers into being more creative, and that has helped the defense as a whole... that said, I loved what I saw of Neal. When he and Jolly come back next year, we are going to be very, very stout up front. Neal is a hell of a player IMO.

RashanGary
01-27-2011, 09:55 AM
Shown Star potential:
Neal
Starks (Grant with receiving hands and better feet)
Shields

Shown good player potential
Bulaga
Quarless
Wilson
Zombo
Burnett

Don't know yet
Newhouse
McDonald

To Smidgeon's point, there are 8 guys in this draft where you think, hey, we've got something here. There is some star potential in the group. Let's give this draft a couple years. I doubt the top end will be as impactful as Raji and Matthews, but a star corner and DE, a 10 year LT along with several other solid starters. . . . This draft has high potential to be great.

bobblehead
01-27-2011, 09:58 AM

I disagree with this completly. Yes, I realize I am in a minority as I've read ahead. The only thing he has done better at this point is get on the field. I've seen nothing special about Qaurless, but even in Finley's rookie seasons you saw glimpses of doing things other guys can't. Quarless may continue to develope, he is a rookie, but other than speed I don't see much. He isn't even a very willing blocker at this point.

mraynrand
01-27-2011, 10:05 AM
I disagree with this completly. Yes, I realize I am in a minority as I've read ahead. The only thing he has done better at this point is get on the field. I've seen nothing special about Qaurless, but even in Finley's rookie seasons you saw glimpses of doing things other guys can't. Quarless may continue to develope, he is a rookie, but other than speed I don't see much. He isn't even a very willing blocker at this point.

The big deal IS that Quarless is on the field and a lot more mature. Physically, and skill-wise, Finley looked much more impressive. Plus, his college work was eyecatching. But did he really show all that much his rookie season? Perhaps, but you must have seed a lot in those six receptions!

bobblehead
01-27-2011, 10:12 AM
Shown Star potential:
Neal
Shields

Bulaga
Quarless
Wilson
Zombo
Burnett

Don't know yet
Newhouse
McDonald

To Smidgeon's point, there are 8 guys in this draft where you think, hey, we've got something here. There is some star potential in the group. Let's give this draft a couple years. I doubt the top end will be as impactful as Raji and Matthews, but a star corner and DE, a 10 year LT along with several other solid starters. . . . This draft has high potential to be great.

This is pretty good but I think Zombo is a JAG. I don't even see him as the next Poppinga. He sets a good edge, but other than that he is below average in every other way. CJ Wilson is the guy that shocked me. I think he has improved all season long....rookie wall my ass. I'd probably drop Neal into the next category as well. He looked good, but doesn't have the burst to be elite. Starks maybe, but can't say that for sure. I have to see him play behind a run blocking line. I just like that we finally have a guy who can run/catch/block all in one. Bulaga will start for 10 years somewhere. Shields will be in a pro bowl someday. No clue on Burnett or Quarless, but they at least flashed enough to make you think they can be players if not elite players.

Anyone besides me think Sheilds benefited immensely from playing WR? He tracks the ball better than any rookie I have ever seen. ONE penalty all season says volumes about him looking for the ball. Special that one is....mmmm.....very special. (insert yoda voice).

Lurker64
01-27-2011, 10:43 AM

One must also note that Frank Zombo has what is quite probably the best sack celebration in the NFL.

Smidgeon
01-27-2011, 11:56 AM

I think Zombo will be better than Popp. I have no basis for that, but Popp always seemed really limited to me. Zombo at least hit a couple of sacks while being known for his run defense game.

Smidgeon
01-27-2011, 11:59 AM
One must also note that Frank Zombo has what is quite probably the best sack celebration in the NFL.

The Zorro?

HarveyWallbangers
01-27-2011, 12:34 PM
Shown Star potential:
Neal
Shields

Bulaga
Quarless
Wilson
Zombo
Burnett

Don't know yet
Newhouse
McDonald

I'd put Starks in the middle group. Wilson has impressed me. I think Quarless will be a good player. The guy has a really nice skillset, and he has made some plays for us. He gets open a lot. It's just a matter of maturing and learning the game for him. I think he'll be a really solid player, but he does have the potential to go Tyrone Davis (e.g. ooze potential but never fulfill it).

Patler
01-27-2011, 08:52 PM
Finley screwed up several crucial pass plays as a rookie, then blamed Rodgers, saying he (Finley) didn't do backshoulder throws. He also made some comment about not being used correctly, and I suspect was read the riot act by McAdoo, if not MM himself.
Finley showed nothing as a rookie other than the potential to be a big headache.

Quarless has time to show his potential.

Patler
01-27-2011, 09:00 PM
I don't understand why everyone seems so sure about what Neal will contribute. "Star potential"? When did he show that? He played in just two games, Detroit and Washington. Pretty hard to draw any conclusions from that. I don't feel he proved anything in that time. His potential is no more nor more less than when he was drafted. Basically, 2010 was nothing for him.

I liked him when he was drafted. I don't feel any different about him now because he neither proved nor disproved anything this year.

HarveyWallbangers
01-27-2011, 10:41 PM
I was thoroughly impressed with Neal during the preseason and his limited action in the regular season. Sure, it's possible he surprised people and other teams will figure him out (he'll have to make adjustments), but it's been awhile since I was as impressed with a Packers rookie DL.

Bretsky
01-27-2011, 10:46 PM
IMO huge potential in Neal as well; the dude just blew up some plays with shear power. Can't remember the last rookie DL I was impressed with either but if this guy stays healthy he's a gamer.

I'm not sure about Quarless. I thought I saw a lot of potential/ability in Finley. I thought he was an idiot with the change of being a prima donna right from the start but I saw a ton of ability waiting to be put together.

I don't see that same upside in Quarless. I may be wrong but I thought we passed up both NE Tight Ends and to me both have looked better so far. Wait, maybe Gronkowski was drafted before Quarless. Anybody recall ???

Bossman641
01-27-2011, 10:58 PM
IMO huge potential in Neal as well; the dude just blew up some plays with shear power. Can't remember the last rookie DL I was impressed with either but if this guy stays healthy he's a gamer.

I'm not sure about Quarless. I thought I saw a lot of potential/ability in Finley. I thought he was an idiot with the change of being a prima donna right from the start but I saw a ton of ability waiting to be put together.

I don't see that same upside in Quarless. I may be wrong but I thought we passed up both NE Tight Ends and to me both have looked better so far. Wait, maybe Gronkowski was drafted before Quarless. Anybody recall ???

Gronkowski went 10th in the second round. Hernandez went 15th in the fourth round. Quarless went 23rd in the fifth.

HarveyWallbangers
01-27-2011, 10:59 PM
Hernandez (4th round) and Gronkowski (2nd round) were both drafted before Quarless (5th round).

Joemailman
01-27-2011, 11:10 PM

I thought Neal was the Best D-Lineman on the field in the preseason game against Indy, I know it was preseason, but he was doing it against their starters. Very impressive combination of power and quickness.

I agree Quarless doesn't have the same upside as Finley, but who does? He reminds me a little of Dustin Keller physically. He doesn't have the hands or height of Finley, but he does have good speed. It will be interesting to see how much he progresses his second year.

Lurker64
01-27-2011, 11:30 PM

The following TEs were taken before Quarless (#154): Jermaine Gresham (#21, CIN), Rob Gronkowski (#42, NE), Ed Dickson (#70, BAL), Tony Moeaki (#93, KC), Jimmy Graham (#95, NO), Aaron Hernandez (#113, NE), Dennis Pitta (#114, BAL), Garrett Graham (#118, HOU), Clay Harbor (#125, PHI), and Michael Hoomanawanui (#132, STL).

The following TEs were taken after Quarless (#154): Brody Eldridge (#162, IND), Fendi Onobun (#170, STL), Dennis Morris (#174, WAS), Nate Byham (#182, SF), Anthony McCoy (#185, SEA), Mickey Shuler, Jr. (#214, MIN), Dorin Dickerson (#227, HOU), Jim Dray (#233, ARZ), and Dedrick Epps (#235, SD).

So I don't think we passed on any great TEs to take Quarless, but I honestly can't tell you how Fendi Onobun did this year.

Patler
01-28-2011, 01:12 AM

I think I missed conveying my point about Neal. I see potential in Neal, too; the same as when he was drafted. My point was that for the little we saw of him, he deserves no more than an incomplete for this year. Samkon Gado looked like a future pro bowl player for a handful of games, too. A player doesn't show star potential playing a limited number of snaps in just two games. He needs to perform in a lot more situations than Neal has to deserve that kind of rating.

As for Finley, I don't think we ever really saw his ability as a rookie, not as much as we were told it was there by coaches and some who watched practices. He really did nothing in the games, catching six and dropping or otherwise screwing up just as many more. I'll admit, the coaches seemed fascinated with him even as a rookie.

HarveyWallbangers
01-28-2011, 01:22 AM
It's just my opinion based on what I saw. He doesn't have to play a lot or doing anything. It's what each individual sees in the guy. He looked strong (which he was billed to be), but he also looked pretty fast and had better technique and more moves than I was expecting. I think he has star potential. Well, as much as any 3-4 DE can be a "star" (rarely). If he comes back healthy, I think he could be one of the better 3-4 DEs in the league. And I base that solely off what I saw this year--because I had never heard of the guy until he was drafted by the Pack and I didn't watch him at all in college.

Patler
01-28-2011, 01:45 AM
But how many snaps did he really play, and how much can you be certain of from a handful of plays against Detroit and Washington. To me, it just isn't enough to be very meaningful. Certainly a lot of written hype for him though, especially in the weeks before he actually got his brief exposure to league play.

I just hope he doesn't have Justin Harrell disease!

wist43
01-28-2011, 08:41 AM
I'd put Starks in the middle group. Wilson has impressed me. I think Quarless will be a good player. The guy has a really nice skillset, and he has made some plays for us. He gets open a lot. It's just a matter of maturing and learning the game for him. I think he'll be a really solid player, but he does have the potential to go Tyrone Davis (e.g. ooze potential but never fulfill it).

I don't understand why everyone seems so sure about what Neal will contribute. "Star potential"? When did he show that? He played in just two games, Detroit and Washington. Pretty hard to draw any conclusions from that. I don't feel he proved anything in that time. His potential is no more nor more less than when he was drafted. Basically, 2010 was nothing for him.

I liked him when he was drafted. I don't feel any different about him now because he neither proved nor disproved anything this year.

He proved to me that he is very stout at the point, has a powerful punch, strong hands to shed, quickness to redirect, speed to close, and has a good football mentality.

I wasn't thrilled with the Neal pick back in April b/c I saw our LB'ing corp as substandard to be running a 3-4, and the secondary cupboard was looking pretty bare, and there were some who had him rated lower than where we took him. Of course Jolly was suspended, Williams made a gigantic leap, and Shields came out of nowhere.

The emergence of guys like Raji, Matthews, Williams, and Shields has allowed GB's defense to remain functional even with guys like Eric Walden, Charlie Peprah, CJ Wilson, and Howard Green made to look like they all belong on a top flight NFL defense. No one could have predicted any of that... it's been a lot of fun to watch them all ride the wave.

As for Neal... I see him as a very good rotational DL piece - he'll be a good player.

Smidgeon
01-28-2011, 11:12 AM
The last DLineman who impressed was Raji. There was more than one time early in his rookie year that he got me jumping off the couch shouting, "Did you see that?!?" to an empty room...

Smidgeon
01-28-2011, 11:14 AM
It's just my opinion based on what I saw. He doesn't have to play a lot or doing anything. It's what each individual sees in the guy. He looked strong (which he was billed to be), but he also looked pretty fast and had better technique and more moves than I was expecting. I think he has star potential. Well, as much as any 3-4 DE can be a "star" (rarely). If he comes back healthy, I think he could be one of the better 3-4 DEs in the league. And I base that solely off what I saw this year--because I had never heard of the guy until he was drafted by the Pack and I didn't watch him at all in college.

Plus, Cliff said in a recent chat that he thinks Neal could be something special. If Christl likes him... :D

Smidgeon
01-28-2011, 11:15 AM
But how many snaps did he really play, and how much can you be certain of from a handful of plays against Detroit and Washington. To me, it just isn't enough to be very meaningful. Certainly a lot of written hype for him though, especially in the weeks before he actually got his brief exposure to league play.

True. A talented player who can't stay on the field does you just about as good as a very average player who does get on the field. Well, less good actually.

Smeefers
01-28-2011, 12:33 PM

I hope he doesn't have Ed Zachery Disease! Where his face looks ed zachery like his butt! Zip, Bang, ZOOM!

I'm still waiting for Neal to do a little more. That's a bandwagon I'll jump on next year.

As for Quarless, I don't think anyone expects him to be as good as Finely. I just want him to be better than Lee (and Lee aint too bad.)