PDA

View Full Version : Official John Kuhn Fan Club

esoxx
12-26-2010, 06:38 PM
John Kuhn circa 2021

Presenter: Ted Thompson
Honoree: John Kuhn

John Kuhn was honored today in Canton, OH. The hard-nosed runner gained fame during the 2010 season, pile driving the Green Bay Packers to their 13th World Championship and 4th Super Bowl Title with their victory over the Baltimore Ravens in Super Bowl XLV. Named the game's MVP, Kuhn is fondly remembered for running over Ray Lewis for a three yard touchdown run in the SB victory with only seconds left on the clock.

The play, one of the most iconic in Super Bowl history, propelled the Packers to the 20 - 17 win.

esoxx
12-26-2010, 06:40 PM
I remember the play fondly.

I believe in John Kuhn.

PA Pack Fan
12-26-2010, 06:56 PM
Kuhn rocks.

Fritz
12-26-2010, 06:59 PM
I think he's got that "grit" that Patler was talking about in another thread.

gabe
12-26-2010, 07:29 PM
It's so funny. I had my old man over to watch the game this evening, and everytime kuhn got the ball, and the crowd chanted KHUUUUUUNNNNNNN. He would ask "why are they booing he just scored a touchdown?" I then explain about the name and dragging it out, and he still proceeded to ask me everytime he got the ball why the fans were booing, but either way he was a MAD man today, keep it up.

denverYooper
12-26-2010, 07:44 PM

Agree.

bobblehead
12-26-2010, 07:55 PM

I think when you win games you get defined as having "grit". when you lose, not so much.

Packgator
12-26-2010, 08:14 PM
everytime kuhn got the ball, and the crowd chanted KHUUUUUUNNNNNNN.

They are chanting Khuuuuuuuunnnnnnn before the play now. You can here the chant start as the Packers break the huddle.....when it is a play that looks like a time for Khun.

packerbacker1234
12-27-2010, 12:31 AM
Guy just has "it". He doesn't have the physical tools to be an every down player, but man he does so much. He is a solid fundamental blocker - jumps over takcles to gain extra yards, and he punishes you at the point of contact and keeps those legs churning. He is an EXCELLENT short yardage back and a great situational blocker and pass catcher. He is the type of guy you just want to have on your team. A great change of pace from... shit do we have anyone else?

I take that back - just give Kuhn the damn rock.

rbaloha1
12-27-2010, 12:12 PM
A keeper and fantasy stud. Maybe the short yardage situation is solved. Reminds of John Riggins.

gbgary
12-27-2010, 12:40 PM
John Kuhn circa 2021

Presenter: Ted Thompson
Honoree: John Kuhn

John Kuhn was honored today in Canton, OH. The hard-nosed runner gained fame during the 2010 season, pile driving the Green Bay Packers to their 13th World Championship and 4th Super Bowl Title with their victory over the Baltimore Ravens in Super Bowl XLV. Named the game's MVP, Kuhn is fondly remembered for running over Ray Lewis for a three yard touchdown run in the SB victory with only seconds left on the clock.

The play, one of the most iconic in Super Bowl history, propelled the Packers to the 20 - 17 win.

who was the coach? couldn't have been mm.

swede
12-27-2010, 02:35 PM
It wasn't that long ago that Kuhn and Hall were thought of as being almost the same player when it came to figuring out final rosters after training camp time. Now Kuhn is playing like Mike Alstott.

I love the way Lambeau's Packer fans start calling for Kuhn as soon as the team gets within about 8 yards of the goal line. I hope that tradition continues for a few years, as it is very sweet to have a player as committed as he is to running, pushing, leaping, grinding, turning backwards, clawing for yards feet and inches and basically doing whatever it takes to get his team a first down or a TD.

Smidgeon
12-27-2010, 04:03 PM
It wasn't that long ago that Kuhn and Hall were thought of as being almost the same player when it came to figuring out final rosters after training camp time. Now Kuhn is playing like Mike Alstott.

I love the way Lambeau's Packer fans start calling for Kuhn as soon as the team gets within about 8 yards of the goal line. I hope that tradition continues for a few years, as it is very sweet to have a player as committed as he is to running, pushing, leaping, grinding, turning backwards, clawing for yards feet and inches and basically doing whatever it takes to get his team a first down or a TD.

I think Hall's gone next year, unless he's simply amazing as a fullback (which is possible because I'm not a scout). They have Quinn Johnson and John Kuhn. Plus, next year they'll have Ryan Grant, Brandon Jackson, Demitri Nance, and James Starks. I can see them going 2 FB and 4 RBs next year.

Scott Campbell
12-27-2010, 04:11 PM
Guy just has "it".

Dude - you've just gone full Partial on us.

Brandon494
12-28-2010, 06:28 AM
A keeper and fantasy stud. Maybe the short yardage situation is solved. Reminds of John Riggins.

He runs nothing for John Riggins.

Brandon494
12-28-2010, 06:32 AM
I think Hall's gone next year, unless he's simply amazing as a fullback (which is possible because I'm not a scout). They have Quinn Johnson and John Kuhn. Plus, next year they'll have Ryan Grant, Brandon Jackson, Demitri Nance, and James Starks. I can see them going 2 FB and 4 RBs next year.

I don't see how Demitri Nance makes the team next season. I see them keeping Grant, Jackson, Starks, and maybe draft pick with Quinn and Kuhn at FB. Kuhn being the emergency RB but FB is his best position.

Smidgeon
12-28-2010, 02:31 PM
From the NFC North blog on ESPN:

"Kuhn, in fact, has emerged as one of the most efficient running backs in the NFL this season. He has converted 25 first downs on 80 carries, including 8-of-9 on third-and-1, and has the league's second-best conversion rate (31.3) among running backs with at least 25 first downs."

esoxx
12-29-2010, 10:54 PM
who was the coach? couldn't have been mm.

On hand for the festivities was former head coach Dom Capers, fondly remembering for taking the reigns of the 2010 Packer team as they entered the playoffs. Capers to this day downplays his role in the SB XLV Championship and often defers to Coach Stubby as the real key for winning four consecutive games decided by four points or less, including the Super Bowl. He cites Coach Stub as inspiring the team after the sideline head shot he took from Lance Briggs during the final game of the regular season.
Plagued by headaches, vertigo, forgetfulness, and chronic drooling, the valiant Coach Stub tried repeatedly to pass the NFL mandated post-concussion tests to no avail. Ted Thompson made the fateful decision to strip Coach Stub of his head coaching duties and give them to Capers for the playoff run.

Missing today from the ceremony was Mike McCarthy. He was last seen in New York City feeding squirrels in Central Park. His whereabouts are currently unknown. (AP)

pbmax
12-29-2010, 11:29 PM
He runs nothing for John Riggins.

Agree. He is good and a great short yardage complementary back. Can also fill in for stretches at TB. But he is not, nor does he run like, John Riggins. Riggins ran past the Miami Dolphins as an old football player, scoring around left end, running through one tackle and out running the rest. Kuhn survives by winning contact that most defenders don't want to have. That is why he can leap them; they are bailing out, hoping to catch his shin, ankle or take out his legs.

vince
12-30-2010, 07:15 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-packers-fullbackfolkhero

FB Kuhn nearing folk hero status in Green Bay
By CHRIS JENKINS, AP Sports Writer

GREEN BAY, Wis. (AP)—Coaches and teammates have had some good-natured fun at John Kuhn’s(notes) expense all season, joking that he’s always lobbying for carries by reminding people that he was the career rushing leader at Division II Shippensburg.

The unheralded fullback is laughing all the way to the end zone these days. Kuhn rushed for two touchdowns and caught another in the Green Bay Packers’ blowout victory over the New York Giants on Sunday.

His ability to get tough yards, especially near the goal line, has put him on the track to folk hero status in Green Bay. Fans at Lambeau Field growl “Kuuuuuuhn!” every time he touches the ball.

“It sounds like they’re booing him, but they’re saying ‘Kuhn,”’ special teams coordinator Shawn Slocum said.

Kuhn isn’t letting his newfound notoriety go to his head, but his friends and family are enjoying it.

“They’re excited about it,” Kuhn said. “(Fans) kind of did it a little bit in college, too. So my family’s a little used to it.”

Slightly bigger venue this time around, though?

“Yeah—a lot bigger,” Kuhn said, laughing.

Kuhn began his career on the Pittsburgh Steelers’ practice squad in 2005 and joined the Packers in 2007. Coming into this season, Kuhn had only 18 career rushing attempts—although he already showed an ability to score, running for two touchdowns and catching four more in the previous two seasons.

But after a season-ending injury to Ryan Grant(notes) in Week 1, Kuhn steadily has worked his way into the Packers’ running back rotation. Going into Sunday’s critical game against Chicago with the playoffs on the line, Packers coach Mike McCarthy said Kuhn has become one of the team’s leaders.

“I think he’s making the push like everybody else on our football team,” McCarthy said. “He’s one of our leaders. He’s a tough guy and well-respected in the locker room, and he’s really stepped to the forefront.”

Nobody will mistake Kuhn for a feature back; he hasn’t rushed for more than 50 yards in a game. But he seems to be at his best near the goal line; he has six touchdowns this season, four rushing and two receiving.

And as if that wasn’t enough to feed Kuhn’s growing popularity in Green Bay, he also is a key player on special teams. He earned not one, but two, game balls from the coaching staff for his efforts Sunday—one on offense and one on special teams.

Slocum said Kuhn was in on four special teams tackles and made a critical block after a teammate blew an assignment on a punt.

“I think it speaks about what he’s all about,” Slocum said. “I mean, he’s impactful on offense, playing quite a few plays in there. And then to go out and play on just about everything we’re doing special teams-wise, he plays very hard and (is) very productive.”

Not bad for a guy who didn’t really consider a future in pro football until his junior year at Shippensburg, a school with an undergraduate enrollment of about 7,200 in Shippensburg, Pa. A chemistry major, Kuhn probably would have gone back for a postgraduate degree if he didn’t have a shot at the NFL.

“My coach told me that he thought I could make the jump, and I kind of even batted an eye at that, like, ‘Oh, you’re crazy. This is Shippensburg,”’ Kuhn said. “But at the end of the year, I talked to a couple people that knew a couple people and they said, you know, you might have a shot.”

He left Shippensburg as the leading rusher in school history with a total of 4,685 yards.

“A lot of teams liked my size and liked my agility coming out of college because I ran the ball a lot,” Kuhn said. “But they all said basically, ‘You’re going to have to learn how to block in the NFL.’ I tried to take that and do the best I could at it.”

He did, but Packers coaches eventually realized he could be a valuable asset near the goal line. When the Packers’ marquee receivers are covered, Kuhn sometimes slips through the cracks.

“When we have a red zone meeting, we don’t sit there and talk about John Kuhn, but I think our fans think we do. I’m a little nervous about that,” McCarthy said. “He’s put together two outstanding football games. John is one of the veteran leaders on our team. He’s a tough guy, he’s a detailed guy, he’s a smart guy. He knows what to do when you put him in position to be successful.”

Kuhn attributes his success to hard work, but acknowledges that his skills might have gone overlooked until now.

“Everybody in the NFL has skill,” Kuhn said. “I heard LaDainian Tomlinson(notes) one time give a quote that 98 percent of the guys in the NFL could be a star if they just got the chance. And I always thought that was pretty interesting, because I was on the practice squad at the time when I heard that. That was always something that I looked toward for motivation.”

sheepshead
12-30-2010, 08:11 AM
Dude - you've just gone full Partial on us.

:-D

sheepshead
12-30-2010, 08:16 AM
The big unknown dopey looking white guy moves the chains and scores. Plus there's the camaraderie in the stands when everyone can instantly pop into the same cheer. A Lambeau cult hero is born.

esoxx
01-07-2013, 11:37 PM
Always looking for new members.

mmmdk
01-08-2013, 08:14 AM
I'm in!

denverYooper
01-08-2013, 10:36 AM
He has 6 TDs in the playoffs, tied for second in GB history.

#1: Antonio Freeman.

mmmdk
01-08-2013, 10:41 AM
Kuhn is eventually going to the Packers HOF.

Tony Oday
01-08-2013, 10:41 AM
Ugh I like Kuhn but he is not a Packer Hall of Famer. He is a plugger.

mmmdk
01-08-2013, 10:46 AM
Ugh I like Kuhn but he is not a Packer Hall of Famer. He is a plugger.

He'll be there; bet on it! :duel:

Patler
01-08-2013, 10:59 AM
By the time he is out of the league a few years, he will barely be remembered. He has very little statistical presence, and while he has been an effective blocker, he hasn't been the type of devastating blocker that becomes memorable. Just a solid all-around football player that every team needs a lot of to be successful. Crabtree is a similar player. Solid at whatever he is asked to do.

Brandon494
01-08-2013, 11:10 AM
William Henderson > John Kuhn .... might be a homer because hes from Richmond VA. ;-)

mmmdk
01-08-2013, 11:19 AM
By the time he is out of the league a few years, he will barely be remembered. He has very little statistical presence, and while he has been an effective blocker, he hasn't been the type of devastating blocker that becomes memorable. Just a solid all-around football player that every team needs a lot of to be successful. Crabtree is a similar player. Solid at whatever he is asked to do.

Wow! I can't wait for those "CRAB-TREE!" shouts at Lambeau. Or did I miss them? I understand culture and Green Bay Packers has that; cherish it [even if you don't understand it]. Dear Patler, I've cherished your posting but that was a...numb comment that totally lacked the understanding of culture/history that is the very heart and soul of what is YOUR GREEN BAY PACKERS! Get that feeling back, Pat, but if you're "right" then there would be something wrong with the culture of what makes Packers great. Kuhn is culture, Kuhn is history and a heck of a story - not unsung...but a shout out my lungs Lambeau hero!

"Kuhn!"

Patler
01-08-2013, 11:23 AM
William Henderson > John Kuhn .... might be a homer because hes from Richmond VA. ;-)

By a lot, in my opinion. For most of his career, Henderson was a pretty powerful blocker who could clear a hole that wasn't there initially. Much better in that area than Kuhn. He was also a pretty good receiver. Had a knack for hurdling DBs who tried to go low on tackles. Carried the ball a few times per game under Holmgren, but not under Sherman.

Patler
01-08-2013, 11:26 AM
Wow! I can't wait for those "CRAB-TREE!" shouts at Lambeau. Or did I miss them? I understand culture and Green Bay Packers has that; cherish it [even if you don't understand it]. Dear Patler, I've cherish your posting but that was a...numb comment that totally lacked the understanding of culture/history that is the very heart and soul of what is YOUR GREEN BAY PACKERS! Get that feeling back, Pat, but if you're "right" then there would be something wrong with culture of what makes Packers great. Kuhn is culture, Kuhn is history and a heck of a story - not unsung...but a shout out my lungs Lambeau hero!

"Kuhn!"

So he is an icon and Packer HOF'er just because of his name?

Patler
01-08-2013, 11:35 AM
Wow! I can't wait for those "CRAB-TREE!" shouts at Lambeau. Or did I miss them? I understand culture and Green Bay Packers has that; cherish it [even if you don't understand it]. Dear Patler, I've cherish your posting but that was a...numb comment that totally lacked the understanding of culture/history that is the very heart and soul of what is YOUR GREEN BAY PACKERS! Get that feeling back, Pat, but if you're "right" then there would be something wrong with culture of what makes Packers great. Kuhn is culture, Kuhn is history and a heck of a story - not unsung...but a shout out my lungs Lambeau hero!

"Kuhn!"

No, "the very heart and soul" of what makes the Packers great is performance, and particularly the performance of its unsung players. Its the performance of all its players outside the blinding lights of the big cities. It's the unending loyalty of a city too small to support the team, but supporting it in grand style never the less; due in no small part to the loyalty of the entire state even when the team was floundering. THAT is the heart and soul of the Packers.

The "culture" stemming from a player who happens to have a name the crowd can call out easily will be short-lived at best.

mmmdk
01-08-2013, 11:51 AM
No, "the very heart and soul" of what makes the Packers great is performance, and particularly the performance of its unsung players. Its the performance of all its players outside the blinding lights of the big cities. It's the unending loyalty of a city too small to support the team, but supporting it in grand style never the less; due in no small part to the loyalty of the entire state even when the team was floundering. THAT is the heart and soul of the Packers.

The "culture" stemming from a player who happens to have a name the crowd can call out easily will be short-lived at best.

Hehe! :lol: Fine with me!

mmmdk
01-08-2013, 12:04 PM
So he is an icon and Packer HOF'er just because of his name?

Is there a general school of thought here on PR to solely take things out of context...just to secure the bubble they're in?

Dig into your vast memory bank and see if you could actually lay arguments on the table and draw something new into the memory bank. Kuhn even has pretty good stats for a mere "Craptree" player.

Don't give merit to the joke: "What's the difference between Americans and yogurt? If you leave yogurt alone for 200 years, it will actually grow a culture.".

My favorite football club (soccer) is AGF of 1880; not much perfonmance for decades but it has a vibrant history and culture and I "die" when they lose/play like sh!t but it's my team!!! Sorry for your loss, Pat, I really am.

Zool
01-08-2013, 12:21 PM
Kuhn is constantly pulling a 500 pound plow behind him and not as good at picking up blitzers as he once was. Hendo was 5x the FB that Kuhn will ever be, so that's not a fair comparison.

Bretsky
01-08-2013, 12:23 PM
a Ron Wolf Quote would do Justice

Fart in the Wind

mraynrand
01-08-2013, 12:28 PM
Kuhn is constantly pulling a 500 pound plow behind him and not as good at picking up blitzers as he once was. Hendo was 5x the FB that Kuhn will ever be, so that's not a fair comparison.

yup. People just like the white plugger whose name is fun to say. I will give him props if he pancakes Willis just once Saturday night.

http://blogs.creighton.edu/lng29666/files/2012/11/Screen-Shot-2012-11-09-at-2.59.10-PM.png

Patler
01-08-2013, 01:38 PM
Is there a general school of thought here on PR to solely take things out of context...just to secure the bubble they're in?

Dig into your vast memory bank and see if you could actually lay arguments on the table and draw something new into the memory bank. Kuhn even has pretty good stats for a mere "Craptree" player.

Don't give merit to the joke: "What's the difference between Americans and yogurt? If you leave yogurt alone for 200 years, it will actually grow a culture.".

My favorite football club (soccer) is AGF of 1880; not much perfonmance for decades but it has a vibrant history and culture and I "die" when they lose/play like sh!t but it's my team!!! Sorry for your loss, Pat, I really am.

Did you not suggest that Kuhn is culture because of the stadium chants of his name?
Those occur simply because of the lyrical nature of his last name. His performance has been moderate, at best.

Maybe someone can help here. A few years back there was another player who often received a last name or nickname cheer just as Kuhn does now. But, I can't remember who it was. I suspect a few years after he retires, the same will be said about Kuhn.

Kuhn being a significant part of the culture and history of the Packers? I doubt it. An anecdote at best.

pbmax
01-08-2013, 01:46 PM
Did you not suggest that Kuhn is culture because of the stadium chants of his name?
Those occur simply because of the lyrical nature of his last name. His performance has been moderate, at best.

Maybe someone can help here. A few years back there was another player who often received a last name or nickname cheer just as Kuhn does now. But, I can't remember who it was. I suspect a few years after he retires, the same will be said about Kuhn.

Kuhn being a significant part of the culture and history of the Packers? I doubt it. An anecdote at best.

George Koonce.

Patler
01-08-2013, 01:52 PM
George Koonce.

That's it!!!

ThunderDan
01-08-2013, 01:55 PM

Reminds me of Dave Roller. High effort guy that people loved. Once he moves on he fades into the gray. Except he is the one or two DL I can remember from the 70s. I think Ezra Johnson was the other.

mraynrand
01-08-2013, 02:00 PM
Reminds me of Dave Roller. High effort guy that people loved. Once he moves on he fades into the gray. Except he is the one or two DL I can remember from the 70s. I think Ezra Johnson was the other.

Hot Dog!

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-qr_ZR0w0WVo/Tr71QG3vI0I/AAAAAAAAAjA/ckei2a8j1AI/s1600/George%2BBailey.jpg

Patler
01-08-2013, 02:07 PM
Hot Dog!

Did you see a few years ago when Ezra Johnson came back for one of their "homecoming" games, and when they announced the players that were there, he walked onto the field and waved to the crowd with a hotdog in his hand!

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQJXVXPCjOW8GvQRVOllWS-wBxWkwERGpfc6Svvi_972H4i9XbAqaGuyZcw

swede
01-08-2013, 02:21 PM

^^^

I know we are not supposed to make personal attacks but this guy is an idiot.

Who doesn't like Kuhn? But let's not pretend he is not replaceable.

mmmdk
01-08-2013, 06:16 PM

:hug: It's ok, what you say isn't far fetched at all. I'm just a fan of the Brian Nobles', John Kuhns' and Edgar Bennetts' and I believe those players are cultural bearers as well, even though they're not super human, perfect sports performing athletes. It's not like John Kuhn will be remembered as a Jim Taylor but I became a Packers fan in 1989 & Majik was the QB. I wasn't spoiled with Bart Starr, Brett Favre or Aaron Rodgers to begin with but simply with Don Majkowski...a Packers HOF'er and deservingly so.

John Kuhn in the Packers HOF is not a given, nor should it be, but John Kuhn in the Packers HOF would be consistent with the culture and history of the Green Bay Packers and the Packers HOF pretty much backs that notion 100% - thank goodness for that.

mraynrand
01-08-2013, 07:06 PM
:hug: It's ok, what you say isn't far fetched at all. I'm just a fan of the Brian Nobles', John Kuhns' and Edgar Bennetts' and I believe those players are cultural bearers as well, even though they're not super human, perfect sports performing athletes.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51FfGTuPXGL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
http://img.spokeo.com/public/900-600/phil_epps_1982_12_26.jpg
http://images.wisconsinhistory.org/700011050003/1105000044-m.jpg
http://www.discountdisplaycases.com/images/products/p-265502-chuck-cecil-autographed-hand-signed-green-bay-packers-blood-shot-8x10-photo-pba-3750.jpg

woodbuck27
01-08-2013, 07:40 PM
By a lot, in my opinion. For most of his career, Henderson was a pretty powerful blocker who could clear a hole that wasn't there initially. Much better in that area than Kuhn. He was also a pretty good receiver. Had a knack for hurdling DBs who tried to go low on tackles. Carried the ball a few times per game under Holmgren, but not under Sherman.

Former Packer FB William Henderson was with the Packers from 1995 to 2006 or 12 seasons. He had 5 TD's rushing and 14 TD's receiving for a total of 19 TD's. He was elected to the Pro Bowl in 2004.

FB John Kuhn has been with the Packers since 2007 or six seasons. In those six seasons he's scored 11 TD's rushing and 8 TD's receiving for a total of 19 TD's. He was elected to the Pro Bowl in 2011.

MadtownPacker
01-08-2013, 07:49 PM
I always thought the fans just like having an excuse to yell the word "coon" out loud.

Brandon494
01-08-2013, 09:13 PM
I always thought the fans just like having an excuse to yell the word "coon" out loud.

You too?

gbgary
01-08-2013, 09:36 PM

loved bill at fullback!! yeah...kuhn probably will be in the Packers hof...but it's to the point i just want him blocking and catching dump-offs now.

gbgary
01-08-2013, 09:44 PM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51FfGTuPXGL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

jurko looks like my Packers buddy down here that i go to Green Bay with to see games. the first time we ever went to Green Bay we had just pulled into town, late at night from the 18 hr drive from dallas, and went to denny's for breakfast and when we walked in a couple of guys yelled JURKO! six of us made that trip. we had a million laughs...and the Packers won.

Packers4Glory
01-09-2013, 08:04 AM
I remember the play fondly.

I believe in John Kuhn.

Been in my avatar for a few seasons now...You can not join.

esoxx
01-10-2013, 12:07 PM
Been in my avatar for a few seasons now...You can not join.

Pardon

th87
01-10-2013, 12:21 PM
I like him as a player; just stop running the FB dive that almost never works.