PDA

View Full Version : Playoff scenrios now?

Guiness
12-26-2010, 06:53 PM
Looks like there's still a lot going on the final week of the season.
A pile of teams could end up at 10-6 - Packers, Giants, Eagle, Tampa and NO!

Tampa gets in with a win over NO, Giant and Packer losses.

I think NO gets in regardless (not sure if they lose out?)

Is GB in control of their own destiny? They have the tie-breakers over NYG and Eagles, with the head to head wins, but I'm not sure about TB and NO?

Fritz
12-26-2010, 07:03 PM
Joe Buck - who by the way is a classic ass hat - said there was some tiny chance the Pack could win out and not get in the playoffs.

But it looks mostly like if they win, they're in.

BlueBrewer
12-26-2010, 07:18 PM
[QUOTE=Fritz;560198]Joe Buck - who by the way is a classic ass hat - said there was some tiny chance the Pack could win out and not get in the playoffs.

Is there any possibility that the bears rest some players?

Fritz
12-26-2010, 07:31 PM
Probably not. They're still in the hunt for a first round bye.

Badgerinmaine
12-26-2010, 07:42 PM
It's not very likely the Vikings could beat the Eagles Tuesday night (and how many Tuesday night games in NFL history have there been, by the way?) . But if they did, the Bears would sew up the #2 seed and first round bye, because the Bears beat the Eagles head to head.

There is also a microscopic chance the Bears could actually potentially be playing for the #1 seed. According to playoffstatus.com, the Bears could get the #1 seed if the Falcons lose both of their last two games (that would mean losing to the Panthers the last week), the Bears beat the Pack and TB beats the Saints next week.

Badgerinmaine
12-26-2010, 07:50 PM
Joe Buck - who by the way is a classic ass hat - said there was some tiny chance the Pack could win out and not get in the playoffs.

But it looks mostly like if they win, they're in.

Playoffstatus.com says the Packers could still be out if all three of the following happen:
Saints beat the Falcons, and
Giants beat the Redskins, and
Buccaneers beat the Saints

Fosco33
12-26-2010, 07:58 PM
Playoffstatus.com says the Packers could still be out if all three of the following happen:

Interesting... yahoo has it wrong then.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/playoffscenario

Pack could also be a 5 seed if Saints lose to Falcons/Bucs. Man - I'd love to play either Seahawks or Rams.

Guiness
12-26-2010, 08:36 PM
Is it possible for them to lose next week and be in?

Tampa could lose to NO, Giants lose to Wash - all three teams would end at 9-6.

BallHawk
12-26-2010, 08:43 PM

In that situation, we would be in. We have a better strength of victory than both of em.

Jimx29
12-26-2010, 08:56 PM
Only scenario I want is we beat the bears twice in the next two weekends.

http://i52.tinypic.com/33pf09i.jpg

Brando19
12-26-2010, 09:14 PM

I think that's wrong. The Packers beat the Bears...they're in.

Badgerinmaine
12-26-2010, 09:24 PM

Actually, 9-7. But BallHawk is right--it would go down to strength of victory and GB has them both there.
UPDATED: I ran the ESPN Playoff Machine (it's similar to the scenario generator on Yahoo! that Fosco33 mentioned), and it confirms that the Packers would be the final wild card team in the scenario where GB, TB and the Giants all lose. You can try it out yourself here:
http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/machine

HowardRoark
12-26-2010, 09:46 PM
Interesting... yahoo has it wrong then.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/playoffscenario

Pack could also be a 5 seed if Saints lose to Falcons/Bucs. Man - I'd love to play either Seahawks or Rams.

That is very possible; Tampa would be playing for a berth depending on Giants....(but who knows when they are playing that game, and they seem to be in a tailspin). That would be a very nice turn of events.

packerbacker1234
12-27-2010, 12:27 AM
Looks like there's still a lot going on the final week of the season.
A pile of teams could end up at 10-6 - Packers, Giants, Eagle, Tampa and NO!

Tampa gets in with a win over NO, Giant and Packer losses.

I think NO gets in regardless (not sure if they lose out?)

Is GB in control of their own destiny? They have the tie-breakers over NYG and Eagles, with the head to head wins, but I'm not sure about TB and NO?

We win, we're in. It's that simple. The giants and Tampa could NOT leap frog us in any scenario that involves us winning. We own the tiebreakers on both teams. It is irrelevant what happens between the saints the atlanta because it just means they flip flop - and we don't have tie breakers over atlanta. So say saints win and atl sits there at the 5 seed that we can't touch at that point - so what? Bottom line is we own the tie breakers over everyone that matters for the #6 seed. EVERYONE.

http://www.bucnews.com/2010/12/21/no-more-can-wins-only-must-wins-how-the-bucs-can-make-the-playoffs/

That breaks down the bucs situation. Their best bet is for the saints to lose monday night, so then they can beat them next week to take a WC spot and kick the saints out of the playoffs. If the saints lose out, we hold the tiebreaker over the saints. So with all that in mind, there is no situation in which if we win out, we miss the playoffs. The bucs, however, have to win out AND get help. We don't need any help at all. We win out, we're in.

Now if we lose to chicago, we could still get in - that requires A LOT of help, however. And we start going back up to the division record tiebreaker and things really start to get sketchy on where we stand at 9-7.

Bottom line is we win, we're in. There is not a situation in the world that could prevent that. We control our own destiny. We own the tiebreakers, and nothing that happens in the next two weeks can change our advantage for the #6 seed. The only change that occurs is the saints lose out, bucs take their spot - and we worry about the new tiebreakers between us and them for who takes the 5 and 6 seed. In either case, we still hold the tiebreakers then over NO (better division record) and the head to head over New York. We still are in.

As in, we *could* still get a 5 seed, but there is no event where a win does not put us in the playoffs.

Airin' Rodgers
12-27-2010, 01:01 AM
Hopefully someone is up to answer this... because I'm sweatin it out. That playoffscenarios website says the packers are out with a win, a Saints win over the Falcons, A giants win over the skins, and a Bucs win over the saints in week 17...

I'm worried that this is correct. based on this:

# Apply division tie breaker to eliminate all but the highest ranked club in each division prior to proceeding to step 2. The original seeding within a division upon application of the division tie breaker remains the same for all subsequent applications of the procedure that are necessary to identify the two Wild-Card participants.
# Head-to-head sweep. (Applicable only if one club has defeated each of the others or if one club has lost to each of the others.)
# Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
# Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games, minimum of four.
# Strength of victory.

I think in a three-way tie, the giants would have a better common games record than us, and the head to head would be nullified because of the part I have bolded above.

Can someone tell me I'm wrong. Please?

EDIT: I just looked closer... I think the Packers beat the Bucs and tie the Giants in common games at 6-3...

I'm not sure how this works but correct me if I'm wrong:

Giants:

Min W
Chi W
Det W
Phi L
Phi L
Dal L
Dal W
Wash W
Wash W (assuming Giants win next week)

Record 6-3

Packers
Min W
Min W
Det W
Det L
Phi W
Dal W
Wash L
Chi L
Chi W (assuming packers win week 17)

record is 6-3

Then it would go to strength of victory... which packers have over both bucs and giants... Am I missing something here? I think with a Win we clinch.... but even Nfl.com's playoff picture says... "Pretty simple for the Packers: Win in Week 17 vs. Chicago and only a odd alignment of planets would keep them out."

I wish I knew what that odd alignment of planets is lol

bobblehead
12-27-2010, 08:39 AM
Next week is essentially a playoff game. If we can't beat the Bears in Lambeau in a playoff game we don't deserve to be IN the playoffs against the Bears in Chicago. I have no interest in backing in.

Kiwon
12-27-2010, 08:50 AM
I have no interest in backing in.

That's not what I heard.

So if GB wins on Sunday they would play the Bears again the following week?

Bretsky
12-27-2010, 08:59 AM
That's not what I heard.

So if GB wins on Sunday they would play the Bears again the following week?

IF the Vikes beat the Bears I think the Bears get #2 seed and then we would probably play Eagles...........yuk

Zool
12-27-2010, 09:08 AM
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/21680/updated-packers-playoff-scenarios

Win and they're in.

packerbacker1234
12-27-2010, 09:17 AM
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/21680/updated-packers-playoff-scenarios

Win and they're in.

That's what I was saying. Win and we're in. Yes there is a rumor of some oddball scenario that would keep us out involving something like 10 different teams winning/losing - but the bottom line is we own the tie breakers over everyone that is relevant to our playoff chances.

If the saints lose out, we then own the tie breaker over them as well, and we would still hold the tiebreaker over the bucs. This would put us at the #5 seed. If the saints win out ATL takes the #5 seed we take #6, and the rest are screwed. We're all good boys. We control our own destiny this season. Given the injuries and the way the year played out, we couldn't really ask for a better situation. Week 17, at home, bears... we control our playoff destiny. I'll take it.

steve823
12-27-2010, 03:34 PM
Packers win and they're in, that's simple. But for us to get the No. 5 the Saints would have to lose tonight and next week (assuming we win). Am I right ?

Playing the Rams/Seahawks rather then the Eagles is HUGE.

gbgary
12-27-2010, 03:40 PM
yup...win they're in...against chicago. they can play philly if philly loses their last two.

Fritz
12-27-2010, 04:52 PM
I'm going to be meeting an old college friend to watch the game. For Green Bay's sake, which team should I root for tonight? Atlanta?

HowardRoark
12-27-2010, 05:28 PM
I'm going to be meeting an old college friend to watch the game. For Green Bay's sake, which team should I root for tonight? Atlanta?

yes

Jimx29
12-27-2010, 08:56 PM
I don't care about all the different situations...all I want is the Pack to beat the bears two weekends in a row. If that happens, I will no longer rag on M3 for one full year.

gbgary
12-28-2010, 10:28 PM
minn beats philly. it's the eagles now if we beat the bears.

Joemailman
12-28-2010, 10:30 PM
And if Falcons beat the Panthers, Bears will have nothing to play for Sunday.

retailguy
12-28-2010, 10:31 PM

Bullshit. They can keep their arch rival out of the playoffs. That's something to play for... and I believe they will play and play damn hard to achieve that.

gbgary
12-28-2010, 10:32 PM

since when did the bears need any motivation going into a Packers game?

Joemailman
12-28-2010, 10:33 PM
Maybe, but I wonder if Lovie risks an injury to Cutler just to beat the Packers. It will be interesting to see what he does.

Edit: When I said nothing to play for, I simply meant they wouldn't be able to improve their playoff position. I'm aware that the rivalry could play into the decision.

Fosco33
12-28-2010, 10:57 PM
Maybe, but I wonder if Lovie risks an injury to Cutler just to beat the Packers. It will be interesting to see what he does.

Edit: When I said nothing to play for, I simply meant they wouldn't be able to improve their playoff position. I'm aware that the rivalry could play into the decision.

If Philly had won - we'd have to face the Bears in back-back weeks.

Look at last season (and some posts) - I wasn't a huge fan of our chances when playing AZ twice. We wiped them the 1st game (their gameplan was vanilla and didn't have to play). Playing the Bears like that - we'd show them our entire gameplan and wouldn't have much to adjust in the next week (and on the road).

I - for one - am excited to beat the Bears, then beat the Eagles, then the Falcons - and then have a shot at either Chicago (or New Orleans).

With Vick getting a little dinged tonight - you can see a Dom Capers gameplan shaping up. And I think we can beat Mattie Ice - especially because we played and lost their earlier.

A championship game in Chicago would be EPIC. Nothing like beating your rivals for a shot at the SuperBowl. Oh man - that'd be a great game - best team wins...

Just game by game - but fun to think of the possibilities.

packrulz
12-29-2010, 04:22 AM
So I take it there's almost no chance of a playoff game in GB?

Joemailman
12-29-2010, 06:04 AM

Correct.

Bossman641
12-29-2010, 07:42 AM

There is no chance.

Packers4Glory
12-29-2010, 08:23 AM

Look at last season (and some posts) - I wasn't a huge fan of our chances when playing AZ twice. We wiped them the 1st game (their gameplan was vanilla and didn't have to play). Playing the Bears like that - we'd show them our entire gameplan and wouldn't have much to adjust in the next week (and on the road).

I - for one - am excited to beat the Bears, then beat the Eagles, then the Falcons - and then have a shot at either Chicago (or New Orleans).

With Vick getting a little dinged tonight - you can see a Dom Capers gameplan shaping up. And I think we can beat Mattie Ice - especially because we played and lost their earlier.

A championship game in Chicago would be EPIC. Nothing like beating your rivals for a shot at the SuperBowl. Oh man - that'd be a great game - best team wins...

you just gave me a huge boner!

denverYooper
12-29-2010, 10:26 AM

Vick sure made some bad throws last night. I don't know if he was being lazy or what but the Vikings had 2-3 balls thrown right at their DBs before I even left at halftime. He has struggled against good defenses as of late, starting with that Chicago game.

Matty Ice had a tough time being effective with a fairly unproductive running game. I think that if GB does a better job bottling up Turner (and Weems!), they'll roll.

denverYooper
12-29-2010, 10:28 AM
Vick sure made some bad throws last night. I don't know if he was being lazy or what but the Vikings had 2-3 balls thrown right at their DBs before I even left at halftime. He has struggled against good defenses as of late, starting with that Chicago game.

Matty Ice had a tough time being effective with a fairly unproductive running game. I think that if GB does a better job bottling up Turner (and Weems!), they'll roll.

I'm sure Rodgers wouldn't mind preparing for the Super Bowl and letting those guys get ready for the Pro Bowl :).

OS PA
12-29-2010, 10:38 AM
There is no chance.

Good. We have practice beating the Eagles in Philly, it will be warmer at the dome in Atlanta, the Superdome is definitely warmer than Lambeau in January, but one can only hope that we'll be playing at Soldier Field instead.

Bretsky
12-29-2010, 04:24 PM
HAD WE DEFEATED THE LIONS WE'D BE PLAYING FOR THE #2 SEED THIS SUNDAY

Freak Out
12-29-2010, 04:43 PM
HAD WE DEFEATED THE LIONS WE'D BE PLAYING FOR THE #2 SEED THIS SUNDAY

BUT WE LOST THAT GAME! It sucks but that's how it goes. The road through the playoffs is going to be long and tough for the Packers but they can do it.

KEEP THE KARMA ROLLING CARAMEL MAN WITH ANOTHER GREAT GAMEDAY THREAD THIS WEEKEND BROTHER!

Freak Out
12-29-2010, 04:44 PM
Shit....I forgot to bold that text.

vince
12-29-2010, 04:52 PM
Shit....I forgot to bold that text.
:lol:

Freak Out
12-29-2010, 05:08 PM
DAYUM!