PDA

View Full Version : Singletary fired !

mmmdk
12-27-2010, 11:19 AM
Mike Singletary just got fired from the Whiners.

mmmdk
12-27-2010, 11:20 AM
Defensive line coach Jim Tomsula was promoted to interim coach.

sheepshead
12-27-2010, 11:53 AM
Happened yesterday

Guiness
12-27-2010, 12:01 PM
Why in the world do you do that with 1 game remaining? What could possibly be the point?

I guess this is part of the NFL getting more 'Hollywood.' Teams/owners want to make a splash. But strictly from a point of view of giving your team the best chance to win, this isn't the right thing to do. There are rare instances, like perhaps Wade Phillips, where the coach has to go for the same reason a player does - because he's a cancer, but those are rare indeed.

Cheesehead Craig
12-27-2010, 12:20 PM
Apparently Singletary was too intense for SF. I don't think he's all that great of a coach anyways.

gbgary
12-27-2010, 12:30 PM
another sideline blow-up with a player.

mmmdk
12-27-2010, 12:38 PM
Happened yesterday

...but you never posted [it] :wait:

red
12-27-2010, 01:10 PM
another sideline blow-up with a player.

with a player that is soon to be his son-in-law

there is going to be a lot of open positions this offseason. hope we don't lose dom

curtis loew
12-27-2010, 01:55 PM
I always saw Singletary as more of a college coach. All that rah rah stuff doesn't fly in the NFL nowadays.

Scott Campbell
12-27-2010, 01:59 PM
Why in the world do you do that with 1 game remaining? What could possibly be the point?

I guess this is part of the NFL getting more 'Hollywood.' Teams/owners want to make a splash. But strictly from a point of view of giving your team the best chance to win, this isn't the right thing to do. There are rare instances, like perhaps Wade Phillips, where the coach has to go for the same reason a player does - because he's a cancer, but those are rare indeed.

I'd do it because it gives you a head start on recruiting the hot coaching talent over those teams that wait till after the season.

Guiness
12-27-2010, 02:04 PM
I'd do it because it gives you a head start on recruiting the hot coaching talent over those teams that wait till after the season.

True, you can be open about the fact you are looking, and start talking to co-ordinators from teams who've missed the play-offs 15 minutes after the end of the regular season.

Scott Campbell
12-27-2010, 02:16 PM
True, you can be open about the fact you are looking, and start talking to co-ordinators from teams who've missed the play-offs 15 minutes after the end of the regular season.

I meant that you can start talking to Cowher or Gruden or any of the other unemployed suspects immediately.

Fritz
12-27-2010, 02:51 PM
I confess that I thought Singletary was going to be a very good NFL coach. Maybe he still will be, ala Belicheck, but he may not get another chance. I liked that rah-rah in-your-face intensity, and I thought his teams would be tough and mean.

I was wrong.

swede
12-27-2010, 03:04 PM
The best coaches I've known personally are tougher at practice than they are in games.

During a game, while on the field or court, the players have work to do. It's sort of pointless to harass them while they are working.

If they didn't learn what they were supposed to learn during practice the responsibility falls back on the coach. Being loud on the sideline is a poor substitute for teaching and planning properly during the week.
The only coach excused from this is Vince Lombardi.

Vince Lombardi's players said he was pretty much worthless during games. He yelled unhelpful stuff and blustered and fussed and worried on the sidelines. It was the way he prepared his team week to week and game to game that made him such a genius.

AtlPackFan
12-27-2010, 03:15 PM
I confess that I thought Singletary was going to be a very good NFL coach. Maybe he still will be, ala Belicheck, but he may not get another chance. I liked that rah-rah in-your-face intensity, and I thought his teams would be tough and mean.

I was wrong.

+1

Brandon494
12-27-2010, 03:33 PM
While I don't think hes that good of a coach its hard to win in this league without a QB.

Kiwon
12-27-2010, 03:36 PM
I never thought that Singletary was a good hire. His fire, his intensity led him to a stellar career and the HOF. However, while he may know what motivates him I think it was difficult to transfer that to 53 other personalities, get them to emotionally buy in and care about their own personal performances as he did as a player. Raw emotion can take you only so far.

Michael Jordan was a great basketball player, but he has been a bust as player-coach and general manager-owner. He has been unable to transfer whatever characteristics that make up his greatness as a competitor to his young players.

Maybe the separation between HOFer and regular player is too wide to gulf as HC or team president for guys like Singletary and Jordan.

Cheesehead Craig
12-27-2010, 04:09 PM
I never thought that Singletary was a good hire. His fire, his intensity led him to a stellar career and the HOF. However, while he may know what motivates him I think it was difficult to transfer that to 53 other personalities, get them to emotionally buy in and care about their own personal performances as he did as a player. Raw emotion can take you only so far.

Michael Jordan was a great basketball player, but he has been a bust as player-coach and general manager-owner. He has been unable to transfer whatever characteristics that make up his greatness as a competitor to his young players.

Maybe the separation between HOFer and regular player is too wide to gulf as HC or team president for guys like Singletary and Jordan.

Some guys simply know how to play the game, it just clicks mentally for them. They can't explain it or transfer that knowledge to other players because of that. Those are the guys that can't coach well. They simply expect everyone else to see what they see.

There's HOF'ers out there than can coach and others that can't. It's all in the mental makeup of the coach on how to explain things and help those you are coaching figure out what you are saying.

Bretsky
12-27-2010, 04:22 PM
oh well.......who really cares........but now on to the important questions

WHO is the Niners ST Coach ?
WHO is the Niners OL Coach ?

Credentials ?

Fritz
12-27-2010, 04:51 PM
The best coaches I've known personally are tougher at practice than they are in games.

During a game, while on the field or court, the players have work to do. It's sort of pointless to harass them while they are working.

If they didn't learn what they were supposed to learn during practice the responsibility falls back on the coach. Being loud on the sideline is a poor substitute for teaching and planning properly during the week.

Vince Lombardi's players said he was pretty much worthless during games. He yelled unhelpful stuff and blustered and fussed and worried on the sidelines. It was the way he prepared his team week to week and game to game that made him such a genius.

Worthless during games? Holy cow, what if they'd had challenge flags? Would that have messed him up?

red
12-27-2010, 05:13 PM

Credentials ?

lol

their special teams coach is some guy named Kurt Schottenheimer. he might me good, he's got a big time last name and i think him and MM have some history together

their o-line coach is mike solari

MJZiggy
12-27-2010, 06:41 PM

The thing is, though, to a man Lombardi knew what every man on that team needed. They called him a hardass, but he understood every personality in that locker room and gave every one of them what they needed.

MJZiggy
12-27-2010, 07:45 PM
PleasepleasepleasepleasepleasePLEASE Let Gruden get this job...

Bretsky
12-27-2010, 08:51 PM
Chuckie is a solid coach; why would you want him in the NFC ?

I hope he gets the Browns job; I'd welcome him in Green Bay

Joemailman
12-27-2010, 10:48 PM

Credentials ?

Credentials? They're 5-9.

Bretsky
12-27-2010, 11:10 PM
Credentials? They're 5-9.

There are good asst coaches on losing teams..........and remember........who we're looking at upgrading from

MJZiggy
12-28-2010, 06:26 AM
Chuckie rode what Dungy set up. The team spiraled downward after that SB while Dungy took the Colts to the big game. And honestly, I don't really care where Chuckie ends up as long as he gets the hell off of MNF and I don't have to listen to him. I don't think he's as good as you give him credit for, but then again I'm biased because I never thought the Glazers should have fired Tony.

Cheesehead Craig
12-28-2010, 08:47 AM
Chuckie rode what Dungy set up. The team spiraled downward after that SB while Dungy took the Colts to the big game. And honestly, I don't really care where Chuckie ends up as long as he gets the hell off of MNF and I don't have to listen to him. I don't think he's as good as you give him credit for, but then again I'm biased because I never thought the Glazers should have fired Tony.
Agree. I'm not that impressed with Chuckie. Thought he rode the coattails of what Dungy created.

Bretsky
12-28-2010, 06:54 PM
Dungy couldn't get it done in TB
Gruden did

MJZiggy
12-28-2010, 07:06 PM
Dungy couldn't get it done in TB
Gruden did
I respectfully disagree. Dungy set them up to win. Gruden rode the wave and when it came time to take care of business on his own, the team got worse year after year until Gruden got fired. As further evidence, when Dungy left, he started again with the Colts and got them a trophy as well. He'd still be there if he hadn't retired.

retailguy
12-28-2010, 07:11 PM
I respectfully disagree. Dungy set them up to win. Gruden rode the wave and when it came time to take care of business on his own, the team got worse year after year until Gruden got fired. As further evidence, when Dungy left, he started again with the Colts and got them a trophy as well. He'd still be there if he hadn't retired.

How long did it take Dungy to get a title? Several years. I love Dungy, but there is a saying about nice guys.... That doesn't apply to Gruden. He's a good, not great coach and SF is fortunate if they get him.

There is no better man in the NFL than Dungy, but, lots of tries before you hit success.

Bretsky
12-28-2010, 07:26 PM

that's the exact argument all of the Dungy lovers give
So.......Dungy is the setup man and Gruden the closer
Gruden did a fine job in Oakland as well; they've looked great since he left

MJZiggy
12-28-2010, 08:59 PM
How long did it take Dungy to get a title? Several years. I love Dungy, but there is a saying about nice guys.... That doesn't apply to Gruden. He's a good, not great coach and SF is fortunate if they get him.

There is no better man in the NFL than Dungy, but, lots of tries before you hit success.

Took Cowher awhile too, but everyone thinks he's God. And remember, Dungy got Tampa to the brink and then started over again in Indy and took them. How many years did it take him in Indy?

retailguy
12-28-2010, 10:03 PM
Took Cowher awhile too, but everyone thinks he's God. And remember, Dungy got Tampa to the brink and then started over again in Indy and took them. How many years did it take him in Indy?

Ok, I don't buy that Dungy "started over" when he went to Indy. In 99 they were 13-3, 2000 - 10-6, 2001 6-10. In 2001, Edgerrin James was lost to an ACL tear in week 6. Mora was fired over refusing to fire Vic Fangio his Def Coordinator, who was ridiculously bad. They had a bunch of other injuries and shoddy special teams play (sound familiar?), and then they hired Dungy.

5 years later he won the Super Bowl after many post season failures. 2002 - 10-6, 2003 - 12-4, 2004 12-4, 2005 14-2, 2006 12-4 (super bowl!).

Dungy is a hell of a coach, but it did take him 5 post season tries before he was successful, and started his tenure with a playoff appearance. I don't see how you can say he "started over", in fact I believe an argument can be made that he "inherited" a pretty good team from Mora too (and perhaps better than the one that Gruden inherited if you consider Peyton Manning, Edgerrin James, Marvin Harrison & Reggie Wayne).

Don't get me wrong, Dungy is a hell of a coach, and as I said, the best man in the NFL today, but, Gruden's success shouldn't be marginalized in Tampa because of those things. He won a super bowl with BRAD JOHNSON! Gruden's biggest flaws are his love for veteran QB's and his inability to control his temper. Other than that, he's a damn good coach, I think. Are there better? Sure. But he's a good fit for SF, and if you get the guy a decent QB, he might do quite well there.

Bretsky
12-28-2010, 10:11 PM
Ok, I don't buy that Dungy "started over" when he went to Indy. In 99 they were 13-3, 2000 - 10-6, 2001 6-10. In 2001, Edgerrin James was lost to an ACL tear in week 6. Mora was fired over refusing to fire Vic Fangio his Def Coordinator, who was ridiculously bad. They had a bunch of other injuries and shoddy special teams play (sound familiar?), and then they hired Dungy.

5 years later he won the Super Bowl after many post season failures. 2002 - 10-6, 2003 - 12-4, 2004 12-4, 2005 14-2, 2006 12-4 (super bowl!).

Dungy is a hell of a coach, but it did take him 5 post season tries before he was successful, and started his tenure with a playoff appearance. I don't see how you can say he "started over", in fact I believe an argument can be made that he "inherited" a pretty good team from Mora too (and perhaps better than the one that Gruden inherited if you consider Peyton Manning, Edgerrin James, Marvin Harrison & Reggie Wayne).

Don't get me wrong, Dungy is a hell of a coach, and as I said, the best man in the NFL today, but, Gruden's success shouldn't be marginalized in Tampa because of those things. He won a super bowl with BRAD JOHNSON! Gruden's biggest flaws are his love for veteran QB's and his inability to control his temper. Other than that, he's a damn good coach, I think. Are there better? Sure. But he's a good fit for SF, and if you get the guy a decent QB, he might do quite well there.

BINGO

MJZiggy
12-28-2010, 10:27 PM

All that's nice, but let's get back to my original point which was: he sucks donkey balls on MNF and I want him coaching somewhere so that he shuts the fuck up.

Little Whiskey
12-29-2010, 08:20 AM
All that's nice, but let's get back to my original point which was: he sucks donkey balls on MNF and I want him coaching somewhere so that he shuts the fuck up.

+1