PDA

View Full Version : Strange Punting Stats

HarveyWallbangers
12-27-2010, 01:13 PM
How did I miss that Tim Masthay has a chance for the Packers record in net punting average? He's having a better year (in net punting average) than Craig Hentrich, Josh Bidwell, or Jon Ryan ever had. WTF! He also has 21 punts inside the 20 and only 4 touchbacks. You could argue that he's had a better year than Ryan. His average and net average are better than Ryan.

That brings up another strange stat. Before this year, Jon Ryan had averaged 11 touchbacks/season. This year he only has one. In Green Bay he had 35 punts inside the 20 and 23 touchbacks. This year, he has 23 punts inside the 20 and just one touchback.

red
12-27-2010, 01:16 PM
wow

he really has stepped it up after a pretty crappy start to the year

pbmax
12-27-2010, 01:33 PM
He has really excelled at dropping the ball near the endzone with that Aussie style nose dive kick. Which is remarkable, since he only was exposed to it this Spring with Barker (other camp punter-was that his name?).

swede
12-27-2010, 02:41 PM
He has really excelled at ... that Aussie style nose dive kick...http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/cliff-diving-1.jpg

Sounds like a water sport.

Fritz
12-27-2010, 02:45 PM
That does seem like a strange stat...he still seems to me to be kinda inconsistent. He's good for a few punts, then he seems to hit one line-drive or short or out of bounds up the line. I hope the Pack doesn't have to punt on Sunday, but if they do, Masthay's going to have to be on top of his game.

bobblehead
12-27-2010, 02:55 PM
Ok, next lets fix the OL.

HarveyWallbangers
01-02-2011, 11:46 PM
Time to give him his props. He's done a fine job this season, and he's gotten better as the year has progressed.

Masthay finished his first NFL regular season with a net average of 37.6 yards, which tied for the Packers’ best single-season mark since 1976. Jon Ryan also had that mark in 2007, but the Packers cut him the next season. Masthay looks like he’ll be around for a while.

“Tim’s an ascending player, and that was an excellent performance,” Slocum said.

packrulz
01-03-2011, 05:04 AM
At the Dallas game, I was watching him practice, and he was very impressive. High, booming punts that hang forever and land at around the 10 yard line, and he punts to the corners consistently well. The Bears game it was maybe 16 degrees with some wind, so that makes his performance even more amazing. I think the Packers found themselves a punter for years to come!

Noodle
01-03-2011, 09:15 AM
Masthay was MVP of the Bears game. The game was a classic field position battle. The Bears have one of the best returners of all time in Hester. Cold, windy -- exactly the recipe for disaster. And all Masthay did was drill kick after kick right where it needed to go.

Yeah, Walden Pond had a huge game, and Jennings/ARod came through when it mattered, but Masthay's the reason the Pack was able to stick around until the end.

pbmax
01-03-2011, 10:22 AM
Did anyone catch Jon Ryan last night with the Seahawks? I miss the guy but sometime early in the second half I think, he had a pop up that went higher than it did far. Monster hang time for a 41 yard punt. It left the Rams at midfield in good position, so I am not sure if that was what he wanted or not, but he still has a big leg.

I do miss that Masthay doesn't seem to be able to bomb a kick and get any hangtime out of it, but I think his dropping kicks inside the 20 makes up for that.

Fritz
01-03-2011, 10:40 AM
I saw the first part of the game, and I think Ryan's first two punts were not so good. He got much better after that.

Smidgeon
01-03-2011, 10:41 AM
Did anyone catch Jon Ryan last night with the Seahawks? I miss the guy but sometime early in the second half I think, he had a pop up that went higher than it did far. Monster hang time for a 41 yard punt. It left the Rams at midfield in good position, so I am not sure if that was what he wanted or not, but he still has a big leg.

I do miss that Masthay doesn't seem to be able to bomb a kick and get any hangtime out of it, but I think his dropping kicks inside the 20 makes up for that.

Well, Ryan's got a few years on Masthay. Who knows how much better Masthay can get. Move over Jeff Feagles! We've got the best directional kicker for the next decade. (Obviously over enthused, but I think he has a chance.)

Noodle
01-03-2011, 11:33 AM
Also, don't forget that Masthay is kicking in GB -- 15 degrees at gametime, I think. Seattle temps were in the 30s with around 80% humidity. And believe it or not, a ball travels farther in humid air than it does in cold, dry air.