PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Grant put on IR

Carolina_Packer
12-27-2010, 11:24 PM
A few days ago I read that Ryan Grant could have been back for the Detroit game. We sure could have used him for the stretch run. Does anyone have any speculation on why they IR'd him instead of letting him rehab his way back? I know it would have been a long trip back with no guarantees that he'd be back. They also would have had to eat his roster spot for many weeks with no assurances he'd be back. That's what I'm guessing concerned the Packer brass into IR'ing him. What do you think? I saw Pierre Thomas back this week on Monday night and I know he's had an injury-riddled season as well. If the Pack make the playoffs and Grant is healthy enough to play, but out because of roster-status, that will be a shame. Your thoughts?

HarveyWallbangers
12-27-2010, 11:42 PM
It is what it is. With the injuries we've had, I don't know how we could have kept somebody on the active roster for 14 weeks. Who said he could have been back? Ryan himself? I read an article that Ryan thought he could have been back, but it sounds like he was just being overly optimistic.

channtheman
12-28-2010, 12:10 AM
Grant was saying he could be back but apparently all he was doing was walking without crutches (this was a few weeks ago). Clearly not football ready though. IF he could have been back by now, I don't really know why we couldn't have kept him and even Finley on the roster. Does it really matter that we have an offensive linemen (Andy McDonald I think) sitting on the active roster that never played? Is that spot really THAT valuable?

Brandon494
12-28-2010, 06:33 AM
Forget Grant, how is Finley looking?

Patler
12-28-2010, 09:24 AM
Grant said he could have been back...by training and playing with the screws still in the bones and running the risk of bending them and worsening the situation. He acknowledged that the Packers had his long term interest in mind by letting healing to finish and the screws to be removed before he begins strenuous workouts. This was just Grant talking. Who knows for sure if the Drs would even have cleared him or not?

get louder at lambeau
12-28-2010, 10:09 AM
Even if he came back and was healthy enough, he'd still have to get back in football shape. He is what he is because of how hard he works, and how great of shape he's usually in from running up hills, MMA training, etc. No way he could do much of that stuff the last few months. It will take him a while to get back to where he needs to be to be the Ryan Grant that we know.

bobblehead
12-28-2010, 10:19 AM
Al Harris said he was healthy and ready too.