PDA

View Full Version : Bears to play all out with starters?

VegasPackFan
12-28-2010, 10:38 PM
According to NBC game announcers tonight, Love Smith said regardless of situation, they will play their starters and go all out. Serious?

I propose a game strategy of SWEEP THE LEG!!!

(And win too)

Bossman641
12-28-2010, 10:44 PM
I see Lovie playing to win. His stated goal has always been to beat the Packers. Now, if they get down big I could see him pulling some guys but he will play to win.

HarveyWallbangers
12-28-2010, 10:52 PM
If we get pressure on Cutler early, he'll be out of the game in short order.

gbgary
12-28-2010, 10:55 PM
yup. i could see a bear give-up if we score early. their fans won't like it but it's the smart play...or not.

VegasPackFan
12-28-2010, 10:56 PM

If he is decapitated, they will surely remove him from the game.

Joemailman
12-28-2010, 10:57 PM

That's what I'm thinking. He's had 1 concussion this year. As much as Lovie wants to beat the Packers, he can't risk losing Cutler.

PaCkFan_n_MD
12-29-2010, 12:42 AM
As bad as this sounds, if they play their starters against us the whole game we should try to injure them. They would be playing them simple to hurt us so I say hurt them, literally. I'm just kiddingvguys...........................or am I? HAHAHAHA

vince
12-29-2010, 01:05 AM
I understand the rivalry and all, but Lovie would be a fool to risk injury to his key players with the division and 2 seed wrapped up.

In the highly unlikely event that both the Saints and Falcons fall at noon, the Bears could actually get the 1 seed with a win I believe. That would be unbelievable.

Tarlam!
12-29-2010, 01:10 AM
I hope the Bears come to play. It's too bad the Pack lost against the Patsies and the Bears won against the Vikings. What a week of football this would have been!!

Packers4Glory
12-29-2010, 08:10 AM
too bad everything goes right for the bears. little to no real injuries. WR playing QB knocking off the team they are battling w/ for the 2 seed. I really wanted to spank their asses 2 straight weeks and shut up all these annoying as fuck bear fans around here.

Bretsky
12-29-2010, 08:12 AM
I want the Bears to come to play and Lovie to publicly state the are going out to knock the Pack out of the playoffs
Then I want to beat them like a drum

IF only we could do it two weeks in a row :(

Packers4Glory
12-29-2010, 08:29 AM
I want the Bears to come to play and Lovie to publicly state the are going out to knock the Pack out of the playoffs
Then I want to beat them like a drum

IF only we could do it two weeks in a row :(
I thought that until I read this post which makes a great point I hadn't thought of

Originally Posted by Fosco33 View Post
If Philly had won - we'd have to face the Bears in back-back weeks.

Look at last season (and some posts) - I wasn't a huge fan of our chances when playing AZ twice. We wiped them the 1st game (their gameplan was vanilla and didn't have to play). Playing the Bears like that - we'd show them our entire gameplan and wouldn't have much to adjust in the next week (and on the road).

I - for one - am excited to beat the Bears, then beat the Eagles, then the Falcons - and then have a shot at either Chicago (or New Orleans).

With Vick getting a little dinged tonight - you can see a Dom Capers gameplan shaping up. And I think we can beat Mattie Ice - especially because we played and lost their earlier.

A championship game in Chicago would be EPIC. Nothing like beating your rivals for a shot at the SuperBowl. Oh man - that'd be a great game - best team wins...

Just game by game - but fun to think of the possibilities.

SkinBasket
12-29-2010, 08:46 AM
What I loved about the Packer defense last week was how aggressive the players, especially Shields, got near the end of the game. I want our players top carry that confidence over into the start of games, the way the White, Newsome, Simmons, Butler defenses of the 90s did.

Then I want them to beat the fuck out of the Bears. I don't care about injuries. I just want them to make them regret stepping on the field because it hurts. Hopefully our coaching staff is up to the challenge of eliciting that from the players, even if Bigby is on the field.

Little Whiskey
12-29-2010, 08:49 AM
, even if Bigby is on the field.

or james jones?

denverYooper
12-29-2010, 10:10 AM
What I loved about the Packer defense last week was how aggressive the players, especially Shields, got near the end of the game. I want our players top carry that confidence over into the start of games, the way the White, Newsome, Simmons, Butler defenses of the 90s did.

Then I want them to beat the fuck out of the Bears. I don't care about injuries. I just want them to make them regret stepping on the field because it hurts. Hopefully our coaching staff is up to the challenge of eliciting that from the players, even if Bigby is on the field.

Agreed.

bobblehead
12-29-2010, 10:17 AM
Makes sense to me that they play to win. If they bench the key guys that would make 3 weeks without game action for them. The week up to our game, the week to their bye, then the week til they play. You can't sit guys that long and expect them to stay sharp. They need the starters to play a half. If its close they may stay with it, but if not, guys will start sitting in the second half.

Personally I hope we are up by 30 midway through the third quarter so we can sit a few guys as well. We actually could benefit from Cliffy, wood, mathews and some others getting to sit early.

Packers4Glory
12-29-2010, 10:28 AM
If I'm the bears, If atlanta wins, which they will prob lose to the Panthers and hand HF to the bears because thats how this season has went for chicago...I'd play my starters in the 1st half and then be done. the only way I'd pull them early is if the Packers defense is teeing off on cutler or the defense is getting lit up badly I'd pull my stars for sure.

Brandon494
12-29-2010, 10:46 AM
I don't blame him, he doesnt want to face the Packers in the playoffs.

SkinBasket
12-29-2010, 10:56 AM
or james jones?

I hope he's not playing defense.

God I love this fucking stupid quote system.

Fritz
12-29-2010, 10:59 AM
I thought Bigby was going to be out this week? He got hurt again, didn't he?

Packers4Glory
12-29-2010, 11:03 AM
oh my oh my how I wish we could have kept Finley off the IR and/or Grant and they were back for these games.

denverYooper
12-29-2010, 11:11 AM
oh my oh my how I wish we could have kept Finley off the IR and/or Grant and they were back for these games.

It seemed that they were thinking that way initially with Jermichael. They kept him off of IR for a few weeks and didn't immediately IR him after they found out his injury was going to cost several weeks more than originally thought. But as the injuries kept rolling they had little choice.

Bossman641
12-29-2010, 11:16 AM
It seemed that they were thinking that way initially with Jermichael. They kept him off of IR for a few weeks and didn't immediately IR him after they found out his injury was going to cost several weeks more than originally thought. But as the injuries kept rolling they had little choice.

I think they were originally going to keep him in hopes he would be back by the end of the year but then he had the infection. I know Grant has been saying he would be ready to play but has Finley said the game thing? I thought he was nowhere near ready due to the infection.

vince
12-29-2010, 11:24 AM
I think they IR'd Finley before he got the infection, but it turned out to be the right decision because he wouldn't be ready now due to the post-surgery complications.

Yes Fritz and Skin, Bigby is out for this week. I guess we'll see Bush as the back-up safety.

esoxx
12-29-2010, 11:50 AM
Bears will lay down having already clinched the bye. Vegas agrees, already installing the Packers as 11 point favorites.

Finally we catch a break this year. Better late than never.

Pugger
12-29-2010, 12:00 PM
or james jones?

Good lord, I do not want Mr. Butterfingers to catch any balls this Sunday. Every time that goofball runs in traffic with the ball my bloodpressure skyrockets! :no:

gbpackfan
12-29-2010, 12:17 PM
Classic James Jones catch = A-Rod throw, hits Jones in hands, DOINK, DOINK, DOINK, catch.

mraynrand
12-29-2010, 01:40 PM
I think they IR'd Finley before he got the infection, but it turned out to be the right decision because he wouldn't be ready now due to the post-surgery complications.

Not to harass you, but do you know this for a fact? Where is Finley in his recovery anyway? Has Finley emerged from his Igloo?

vince
12-29-2010, 03:07 PM
Not to harass you, but do you know this for a fact? Where is Finley in his recovery anyway? Has Finley emerged from his Igloo?
I was just remembering this because I was definitely hoping that Finley could come back. I emailed Jason Wilde to confirm my memory and here's his response.

Wow, a reasonable email! Haven't gotten many of those of late.
He was definitely IR'ed before the infection. I'm pretty sure the infection was a big enough setback that if they hadn't IR'ed him, he wouldn't have been able to come back now. But I'm not sure.
So the bottom line is I can't confirm with certainty that Finley wouldn't be ready now, but it's hard to believe he would be with the setback since it was questionable as to whether he'd be ready now before the infection set in requiring the second surgery.

mraynrand
12-29-2010, 03:28 PM
I was just remembering this because I was definitely hoping that Finley could come back. I emailed Jason Wilde to confirm my memory and here's his response.

So the bottom line is I can't confirm with certainty that Finley wouldn't be ready now, but it's hard to believe he would be with the setback since it was questionable as to whether he'd be ready now before the infection set in requiring the second surgery.

I take it you didn't ask about the igloo

vince
12-29-2010, 03:46 PM
He's still in the igloo and only comes out for some Panda Express chinese delight.

SkinBasket
12-29-2010, 06:50 PM

Come on soxxors! We got to play most of the year without Bigby on the field. Call this break no. 2.

HowardRoark
12-29-2010, 08:34 PM
He's still in the igloo and only comes out for some Panda Express chinese delight.

And this.....

http://a3.twimg.com/profile_images/1198167512/YOY.png

sheepshead
12-29-2010, 09:06 PM
Bears will lay down having already clinched the bye. Vegas agrees, already installing the Packers as 11 point favorites.

Yes, the conventional sports talk wisdom down here is Lovie will start pulling starters 2nd or 3rd quarter. If we can get up 2 or 3 scores, he wont push it. Especially if Atlanta wins which we will know about.

Bretsky
12-29-2010, 09:07 PM
I want those ILL pukes to play there starters so we can ram it down their dam throats and witness the #2 seed in the NFC making petty excuses for the next two weeks !

pbmax
12-30-2010, 01:03 AM
Don't care. Just win by forty so there are no possible ways for it to go wrong.

And if possible, have Sitton hit Urlacher when he is not looking as payback for last year's ARod headshot.

mraynrand
12-30-2010, 08:33 AM

You just don't want Rodgers and Stubby to win a close game.

Joemailman
12-30-2010, 08:46 AM
I thought Bigby was going to be out this week? He got hurt again, didn't he?

It's time to use Bigby for what he's good for:

http://www.citizenarcane.com/files/2005/April/12/elmers_glue.jpg

Fritz
12-30-2010, 11:29 AM
Boy, Lovie sure sounded like he was speaking coachdick when reporters asked him about playing his starters. He was really acting like a bastard, it seems, when reporters asked if he was going to play his starters at the risk of their getting hurt.

And true to coaching form, after being a dick to reporters and insisting they're playing to win and that he'll play those starters that way, he'll probably start pulling Cutler et al after the first quarter...

denverYooper
12-30-2010, 11:35 AM
Boy, Lovie sure sounded like he was speaking coachdick when reporters asked him about playing his starters. He was really acting like a bastard, it seems, when reporters asked if he was going to play his starters at the risk of their getting hurt.

And true to coaching form, after being a dick to reporters and insisting they're playing to win and that he'll play those starters that way, he'll probably start pulling Cutler et al after the first quarter...

...after the Packers pick him off twice.

Joemailman
12-30-2010, 11:45 AM
The thing that would make Lovie most inclined to pull Cutler would be to have B.J. Raji fall on top of him.

Really though, I'm not hoping the Bears starters get pulled. If the Packers can't beat the Bears at home, does it really matter whether they make the playoffs?

Freak Out
12-30-2010, 11:47 AM

And if possible, have Sitton hit Urlacher when he is not looking as payback for last year's ARod headshot.

I would love to see that.

Smidgeon
12-30-2010, 12:01 PM

When I first read this, I thought it said: "have Sitton sit on Urlacher when he's not looking." Not as good of a payback, but a way funnier image.

denverYooper
12-30-2010, 12:10 PM
The thing that would make Lovie most inclined to pull Cutler would be to have B.J. Raji fall on top of him.

Really though, I'm not hoping the Bears starters get pulled. If the Packers can't beat the Bears at home, does it really matter whether they make the playoffs?

I'm on board with this and hope they get smoked if they play their starters.

The Bears' LBs have been making comments to Chicago media today about how Soldier Field's track is slow, and has negated the speed of the defense as of late. Presumably, they're explaining why should be effective against Green Bay's offense when they've allowed scads of points lately to the Pats (normal) and Jets (hardly). It could also be that those guys are older and getting had late in the season. Time will tell there, but that brings up another question: why would they play hard for HFA throughout the playoffs if their home field negated their team's strength -- that defense's speed?

And why were they effective against the Eagles, a speed offense, at home but not the Pats or the Jets? Did Soldier field just get that much worse as of late?

Bossman641
12-30-2010, 12:37 PM
I don't think their field has gotten that much worse as of late, but their field is horrible. Sounds like the LB's are just covering their asses. With the exception of the Falcons, none of the NFC contenders are built as cold weather teams. I guess you could include the Giants but last week's showing sort of takes them out of the conversation for me.

packers11
12-30-2010, 01:58 PM
vegas thinks the bears are going to rest their players...

packers are favored by 10 1/2 !!!

pbmax
12-30-2010, 02:31 PM
It's time to use Bigby for what he's good for:

http://www.citizenarcane.com/files/2005/April/12/elmers_glue.jpg

So you are saying Bigby is big on chemistry and holding the team together through tough times?

Smidgeon
12-30-2010, 02:50 PM
So you are saying Bigby is big on chemistry and holding the team together through tough times?

And for craft projects and toddler food.

Cheesehead Craig
12-30-2010, 03:08 PM
I think he wants to make him white.

packerbacker1234
12-30-2010, 06:17 PM
According to NBC game announcers tonight, Love Smith said regardless of situation, they will play their starters and go all out. Serious?

I propose a game strategy of SWEEP THE LEG!!!

(And win too)

He should. We're obviously playing to win, they could be playing for a #1 seed still, and no one wants to see us in the playoffs in terms of playing against us, this includes them. THey can knock us out of the playoffs. Shrot of winning a super bowl, knocking the packers out of the playoffs is certainly and enticing incentive to try and win.

The Weasel
12-30-2010, 10:46 PM
I'm glad to see that. I don't want what happened last year with the Cardinals to happen this year. We blow them out Week 16, then go on an all out shootout with them the following week.

Pugger
12-31-2010, 12:38 AM
I'll be shocked if the Panthers, arguably the worst team in the league, can go into the GA dome and beat the Falcons. It will be a tall order for Tampa to go into New Orleans and win there too. Heck, even the 'Skins could beat the Gmen the way NY has been playing.

Tarlam!
12-31-2010, 05:34 AM
I'll be shocked if the Panthers, arguably the worst team in the league, can go into the GA dome and beat the Falcons. It will be a tall order for Tampa to go into New Orleans and win there too. Heck, even the 'Skins could beat the Gmen the way NY has been playing.

This.

pbmax
12-31-2010, 05:15 PM
Latest word on PFT through Chicago is that Lovie is getting certain backups ready to go.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/12/31/report-signs-point-towards-bears-resting-some-starters/

MadtownPacker
01-02-2011, 06:09 PM
Props to lovie for playing it straight up.

RashanGary
01-02-2011, 06:13 PM

Yep. Makes us feel pretty good going in too. I want to find out if we're good enough and now we know. We're good enough to have a shot. I like our chances this year more than past years. I like this team better than the 07 team, but it's going to come down to us hitting on our big plays unfortunately. We're going to have to go on a good run, but this team can beat any team in the league if AR hits on his shots.

packerbacker1234
01-02-2011, 06:15 PM
Hey, his team is in the playoffs. He had a chance to keep us out, and honestly it was a good test to try and get his team up for a playoff type game. For us it was a playoff type game, and Chicago is going to see the same sort of effort we gave todya from who they see in the playoffs.

Props to Lovie for not handing us this win. It was nice to watch this team march off the field knowing it EARNED that playoff spot. All the injuries, all the talk about AR's performance against the gaints - it was our makeshift defense, and our "horrible" special teams that won us the game. Simply stunning.

Our coaching staff deserves a standing ovation, especially capers, for how this team found a way to get to the post season with everything going against us.

bobblehead
01-02-2011, 08:14 PM

Yea, could you imagine MM doing the same if it were reversed? Not a chance. That being said, I can't critique MM too much since Lovie brought it and MM beat him.

HarveyWallbangers
01-02-2011, 08:21 PM
Lovie did the opposite in 2006 and made the Super Bowl.

vince
01-02-2011, 08:25 PM
Yea, could you imagine MM doing the same if it were reversed? Not a chance. That being said, I can't critique MM too much since Lovie brought it and MM beat him.
McCarthy played to win vs. the Cards last year with nothing on the line.

pbmax
01-02-2011, 08:47 PM

McCarthy did this in 2007 versus the Lions and had to be talked into resting the vet starters early by Thompson.

pbmax
01-02-2011, 08:48 PM
Strahan was buying the conspiracy. He thinks the Bears fear no one except the Packers and were trying to put them out for good.