PDA

View Full Version : Practice Squad Promising Players?

Fritz
12-30-2010, 12:38 PM
Here's a link to an interesting article about practice squad players:

http://packerupdate.net/?p=7346

Essentially, the writer argues that this is the time of year when GM's of losing teams can look to poach guys off other teams' practice squads. Losing teams can "hide" ps guys for this last game by putting them on the 53 man roster - something a contending team can't afford to do.

The writer mentioned Chris Campbell and Anthony Levine as two players who might have NFL-level skills and might be attractive to other teams. Anyone here seen them or know much about them? Anyone here able to assess the writer's claims regarding these two?

Joemailman
12-30-2010, 12:49 PM
Levine is a guy they really should try to hang on to. With Bigby having another injury, I'd release/IR him and put Levine on the active roster. I know the Packers liked his athleticism, but probably felt he just wasn't ready to contribute this year.

Fritz
12-30-2010, 01:16 PM
Good point. If Bigby is out...again - maybe it's time to skinbasket him and promote Levine, especially if you think he can do the job of special teams.

vince
12-30-2010, 01:53 PM
We obviously don't have a lot to go on with Levine, but I wasn't impressed with his safety play this preseason. Maybe he's developing and learning, but he wasn't a very good tackler or cover man that I saw.

Cheesehead Craig
12-30-2010, 03:06 PM
Who are two people who have never been in my kitchen..

vince
12-30-2010, 03:22 PM
:lol:
That's a classic always worth another look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=botdmsQilnU

MJZiggy
12-30-2010, 03:58 PM
I would think that any decent players on our practice squad have already been promoted to replace the injured replacements to the guys who went on IR.

vince
12-30-2010, 04:10 PM
Campbell's a project and doesn't yet have the feet and needs to get stronger, but he definitely has the genes. 6'5" 325, not fat and has a lot of room to grow and get stronger yet. He'll be interesting to watch next camp after a year of development and workouts.

Joemailman
12-30-2010, 05:28 PM
Campbell's a project and doesn't yet have the feet and needs to get stronger, but he definitely has the genes. 6'5" 325, not fat and has a lot of room to grow and get stronger yet. He'll be interesting to watch next camp after a year of development and workouts.

I would think a guy either has the feet to play OT or he doesn't. Perhaps he is better suited for Guard?

vince
12-30-2010, 07:31 PM
I would think a guy either has the feet to play OT or he doesn't. Perhaps he is better suited for Guard?
Yeah, I'd tend to agree. He got schooled with regularity in the preseason this year by speed which is why I mention his foot qucikness, but maybe he just lacks technique and experience. We'll see.

He originally made the practice squad, then was cut in about week 2 due to the need to work out some others, but was quickly re-signed when the Seahawks claimed Giacomini a few days later and stayed on ever since.

bobblehead
12-30-2010, 08:27 PM
I would think that any decent players on our practice squad have already been promoted to replace the injured replacements to the guys who went on IR.

Yea, with practice squad and returning IR/suspended plus a draft TT might not add a player in the offseason. What is the roster limit, like 80? 53 + 15?IR/suspend + 7 drafted + 7 practice squad is already over 80.

MJZiggy
12-30-2010, 09:22 PM
Yea, with practice squad and returning IR/suspended plus a draft TT might not add a player in the offseason. What is the roster limit, like 80? 53 + 15?IR/suspend + 7 drafted + 7 practice squad is already over 80.

Wow TT has room to make a mega trade in this draft if he wants...

Brandon494
12-30-2010, 09:24 PM
That site is a joke

vince
12-31-2010, 03:03 AM
In related news, the Dolphins signed Packer practice squad linebacker Mike Rivera and former Packer Allen Barbre to their 53-man roster yesterday. Barbre had been a free agent after being cut by Seattle about a month ago.

The Dolphins seem to be fond of raiding the Packers practice squad.