PDA

View Full Version : More important for Bears to stay healthy than defeat the Packers

SnakeLH2006
12-31-2010, 12:29 AM
http://www.rrstar.com/carousel/x1733658400/More-important-for-Bears-to-stay-healthy-than-beat-Packers

Now let’s see, which is more important: beating the Packers in a meaningless Week 17 game, or getting everything you can out of your team in hopes of a long playoff run?

Surprisingly, it depends on whom you ask.

Obviously Packers coaches, players and fans are all clearly on the same wavelength when it comes to going all out in Sunday’s Bears-Packers game to close out the regular season in Green Bay. There is a playoff spot on the line for the Packers, clear reason for the dire urgency in that locker room.

“For us,” Green Bay linebacker Clay Matthews said in a teleconference, “it’s almost a do or die.”

Those on the Bears side, strangely enough, are not all on a parallel train of thought as to the importance of a win Sunday. It seems odd to me, as a reporter and a fan, considering this one should only be a big deal if they lose a star, not the game.

The talk around the Bears locker room, where very few injuries have struck this season, does not always support that idea.

“Lovie (Smith) said we’re going to be going hard in this game,” Bears quarterback Jay Cutler said, “and we’re going to be going full go on Sunday.”

Smith isn’t the only coach singing the same tune.

“This is a very important game for us, pure and simple,” offensive coordinator Mike Martz added.

No, it’s not.

Everybody’s No. 1 goal from Day 1 is to win the Super Bowl. Next on the list: make the playoffs, and put together a nice run. Winning the NFC North was often heard as well, but that one has already been checked off the list.

Just beating the Packers — that one’s usually reserved for old-school fans, and those who refuse to look at the big picture.

The Bears cannot finish lower than the No. 2 seed in the NFC, and can only get the No. 1 seed if their win over Green Bay is coupled with a New Orleans loss to Tampa Bay and an Atlanta loss to Carolina.

That last one? Won’t happen.

And the crazy idea that beating the Packers is more important than winning in the playoffs is one that makes Bears fans sound stupid.

Even Pro Bowl middle linebacker Brian Urlacher agrees with me.

“Obviously, we want to play well every game, but if we don’t, it’s not the end of the world,” he said. “We still have a bye week to fix whatever problems we may have. So, it’s not a huge issue.”

But Pro Bowl outside linebacker Lance Briggs is on the other side.

“In the years before there was absolutely nothing to get out of the game besides beating Green Bay,” Briggs said. “This game, even though we have clinched a first-round bye, we can knock our opponent out of the playoff race. That’s enough to play hard for.”

Green Bay has shown that it is no better than the rest of the playoff-caliber NFC teams this season. If the Packers and Bears meet in the postseason, it will be a much different scenario than the teams face this week.

The only logical argument to playing the starters the whole way Sunday is to keep this team rolling. And there is nothing out there to prove that can’t be accomplished with a strong half or three quarters of play, followed by a little social sideline time.

Even the notion that they need the game experience because they will be off because of the bye is ludicrous. Even the healthiest of teams could use some rest this time of year, and that won’t knock the focus out of this Bears team’s head.

“With this team, none of that will matter. We have a certain focus of winning the championship,” linebacker Pisa Tinoisamoa said. But then he added: “We don’t want to let off the gas, though, no matter what team it is.”

And then the best-ever return man Devin Hester said: “I just want to eliminate another good team.”
Me too, but not at the expense of a playoff run.

Play Cutler, play Hester. Let Urlacher and Briggs run around like madmen for a while. But either when the game gets out of hand, or somewhere late in the third quarter — whichever comes first — get them out of there, along with a few of their friends.

Playing some more backups this weekend when it’s all but set up for you is a much better prospect than having to play them in the playoffs.
_________________________________-

Yeah, whatever....we'll whoop their asses no matter what with a healthy Arod.

Does anyone think Cutler is a good NFL QB? (Partial is gone right? Bring him back, Joe...I miss that idiot)

No matter what: Chicago Bear Fans = Ignorant Bitches.

Fritz
12-31-2010, 09:33 AM
Read a good article like this a few weeks back. The writer looked at the ends of seasons of SB teams, and concluded that playing well going into the playoffs is not nearly as important as staying healthy.

gabe
12-31-2010, 09:48 AM
If you watched the bears game last week, you would surely think that Jay Cutler is a GOOD quarterback, but not GREAT. I for one hope they dont play their starters the full game.

ND72
12-31-2010, 09:49 AM
Listened to minneasotas KFAN, they think Chicago wants to win this because they dont want to play GB in the playoffs.

BallHawk
12-31-2010, 10:13 AM
Listened to minneasotas KFAN, they think Chicago wants to win this because they dont want to play GB in the playoffs.

Yeah, I think most teams would rather play a sporadic Eli and his Giants than a focused Aaron and the Packers. That argument would make sense, I'm sure Lovie's thinking it, even if he's not saying it.

Fritz
12-31-2010, 10:56 AM
Ah, I bet he's gonna pull his starters in the 3rd quarter.

bobblehead
12-31-2010, 11:44 AM
None of it matters. We have to prepare for the starters and play it like a playoff game. If we can't beat their starters now in Green Bay, we don't deserve a shot to beat them later in Chicago. This is a playoff game for us...must win in every sense. Bears starters, backups, it matters very little. I'm not in the mindset of hoping they mail it in so we can make the playoffs. I'm in the mindset of making the playoffs and running the table because we can beat anyone in the NFL. If we lose now, or in the first round is virtually no difference to me. The first round of the playoffs started last week for us. Win and continue, lose and go home.

pbmax
12-31-2010, 11:45 AM
Just ask Wes Welker. But it is an odd thing to think the Bears want no part of the Packers - in Chicago (where a playoff game would be played). And didn't the Giants almost destroy Cutler in their game earlier?

Bretsky
12-31-2010, 12:22 PM
I'm doing my part with the negative game day threads and predictions

Can we PLZ VERIFY that NO original Packerrate Game Day attendees are going ?
I got us one loss; Ziggy another.....and Fritz seems to have developed the attendee curse as well

Fritz, if you plan on attending let me know now so I can send GUIDO over !!!!!!!!!

pbmax
12-31-2010, 12:52 PM
I'm doing my part with the negative game day threads and predictions

Can we PLZ VERIFY that NO original Packerrate Game Day attendees are going ?
I got us one loss; Ziggy another.....and Fritz seems to have developed the attendee curse as well

Fritz, if you plan on attending let me know now so I can send GUIDO over !!!!!!!!!

I think Fritz is going to be cheering on the Lions to relegate the Vikings to fourth place, if I remember a previous post correctly.

Now we need Tony Oday to start a Bears Week thread so you can predict gloom and doom versus the Bears.

Mazzin
12-31-2010, 02:05 PM
This may be "illegal" to do this but dont want to post the link, because it has ALL the games. Off my CBS sports fantasy league it was interesting what they said about the bears packers game, I'm just going to paste the info.

The Bears say they're going to play "full-go" here, but Lovie Smith's track record suggests that he'll sit his starters if the team has nothing to play for. Because they won't know whether or not they'll have something to play for until minutes before their kickoff, they have to give lip service to playing all out. The reality is that it's not safe to trust the Bears here because Smith has pulled his starters in meaningless games in the past, and all it takes is a Falcons win over the Panthers or a Saints win over the Buccaneers to render Week 17 moot. So if either of those teams wins, have a backup plan in place for any key Bears players. If both teams lose, start any Bears with confidence. The Packers will have popular Fantasy options no matter what the Bears do simply because their offense looked great last week against a tough Giants defense and they should be able to make strides against the Bears' first-stringers and absolutely annihilate the Bears' second-team defense. The sleepers here are James Jones, who is seemingly supplanting Donald Driver as Aaron Rodgers' second favorite target, Jordy Nelson (who is on Jones' tail for that second favorite role) and John Kuhn, who put away three touchdowns last week and has become a reliable goal-line back.

Fritz
12-31-2010, 02:28 PM
I think Fritz is going to be cheering on the Lions to relegate the Vikings to fourth place, if I remember a previous post correctly.

Now we need Tony Oday to start a Bears Week thread so you can predict gloom and doom versus the Bears.

Correct. I will NOT be attending the Packers' game. I will be at Ford Field, not caring who wins but looking for #4 on the sidelines. And my cousin's setting me up on a blind date, so if she's interesting I won't even bother looking for Brent.

Tony Oday
12-31-2010, 04:21 PM
Even with their starters we will crush the bears...