PDA

View Full Version : Sacks Down for Matthews

vince
12-31-2010, 07:11 AM
Good article on why Matthews sacks are down. Even with that, the defense continues to play well. I suspect he may be gearing up for a big game this week. It seems that the way to beat Cutler (moreso than other QBs) is to pressure him into making mistakes. I'm hoping Capers goes into full attack mode on Sunday. Hopefully Bishop and Hawk can handle Forte and Olsen in the short passing game.

http://www.fox11online.com/dpp/sports/packers_and_nfl/sacks-down%2C-double-teams-up-for-packers%27-matthews

Sacks down, double-teams up for Packers' Matthews
Updated: Thursday, 30 Dec 2010, 6:12 PM CST
Published : Thursday, 30 Dec 2010, 4:27 PM CST

GREEN BAY (AP) - Even as someone who drew plenty of attention from opposing offenses, Green Bay Packers outside linebackers coach Kevin Greene was stunned by the number of blockers Clay Matthews found himself fighting through during last weekend's blowout victory over the New York Giants.

Greene said the Giants clearly made taking Matthews out of the game their No. 1 priority on offense, using an unrelenting combination of tight ends, running backs and offensive linemen to keep him at bay.

"If you really look at this game and see how many double and triple teams that are going his way, it really is unbelievable," Greene said.

The Giants held Matthews without a sack, something that's happening to the second-year defensive star more and more in the second half of the season as offenses recognize just how dangerous he can be.

Matthews still made an impact, with one tackle for loss and running 20 yards downfield to punch the ball away from Giants running back Brandon Jacobs for a fumble. And for all their efforts to neutralize Matthews, the Giants committed six turnovers and lost badly.

Going into Sunday's regular-season finale against Chicago with a potential playoff berth on the line, Matthews said he isn't frustrated as long as the Packers keep winning.

"Frustrated is not the right word," Matthews said. "If I'm not getting that kind of attention, then I'm not doing my job. I was close to the quarterback a few times, but it's part of the game plan. Overall, I thought we did pretty well on defense and came away with a big victory."

After getting 10 sacks as a rookie last season, Matthews was nearly unstoppable at the beginning of this year, with 8 1/2 sacks in the first five games. But since sitting out the Oct. 17 game against Miami because of a hamstring injury, Matthews has been held to four sacks in the last nine games.

A shin injury has limited Matthews' ability to practice in recent weeks, and defensive coordinator Dom Capers acknowledges that Matthews' health might have something to do with his dip in productivity.

Greene said Matthews' sack numbers are dropping mostly because he's simply getting so much attention.

"As a coach, I'm just saying, 'You know what, it is what it is,"' he said. "'You've got a name. And teams aren't going to let you get started. So the thing is, keep chopping wood. Because that one play, they're going to leave you single. And that's when you have to make something happen."'

It certainly doesn't help that the Packers are down to their third-string outside linebacker opposite Matthews after a season-ending injury to Brad Jones and a knee injury that has kept Frank Zombo out the last two games.

The return of defensive end Cullen Jenkins, who has sat out the Packers' last three games with a calf injury, certainly would help draw some attention away from Matthews.

But Matthews is optimistic about the emergence of nose tackle B.J. Raji, who has three sacks in the past two games and drew his own share of double-teams against the Giants.

"There were times when they were sliding three my way and had two on him," Matthews said. "They had what they had in mind, but he was doing a fantastic job. Fortunately for me, they're going to have to start showing him some respect now, and that'll take a guy off (me). It's a good little tandem. That's why once we're full strength, it's going to be hard to single guys here with the amount of talent we have."

While Matthews might not like all the attention he's getting for the time being, he might as well get used to it.

"That's going to be a norm now for Clay, especially if he's sitting there at the end of the line of scrimmage," Capers said. "That's why you like to move him around a little bit so you can't always identify where he is."

Capers would like to move Matthews around at the line of scrimmage more frequently, but doesn't feel comfortable doing so until Matthews can return to practice more consistently.

"We like being able to do that during the course of a game," Capers said. "Probably haven't done as much of that lately, because when a guy can't practice, you can't do as much stuff with him. You need to get him out there lined up in one place and have him play."

Capers said Matthews looked more like himself Sunday.

"What I saw was, when he was lined up on a tight end, he looks like what Clay normally looks like," Capers said. "He sets his hips - pow! - and he pops the tight end and knocks him back. If you're playing the run, it all starts with that hip explosion, being able to put your chin up under those guys and knock him back. And he did that."

Matthews said he's feeling better every day.

"Just at the right time, too," Matthews said. "Hopefully we can get a victory here and move forward."

mraynrand
12-31-2010, 08:25 AM
"Greene said the Giants clearly made taking Matthews out of the game their No. 1 priority on offense, using an unrelenting combination of tight ends, running backs and offensive linemen to keep him at bay.

"If you really look at this game and see how many double and triple teams that are going his way, it really is unbelievable," Greene said. "

- same thing they did to Kampman in 2007 :lol:

bobblehead
12-31-2010, 12:04 PM
"Greene said the Giants clearly made taking Matthews out of the game their No. 1 priority on offense, using an unrelenting combination of tight ends, running backs and offensive linemen to keep him at bay.

"If you really look at this game and see how many double and triple teams that are going his way, it really is unbelievable," Greene said. "

- same thing they did to Kampman in 2007 :lol:

Its ridiculous for you to suggest that the guy who had the second most sacks in the NFL in 2007 wasn't gameplanned for and double teamed often. Go back and watch the game again. Also, I watched the game sunday. I saw Clay consistently get stonewalled by the right tackle...solo. So bad that he overplayed a speed rush while Brandon Jackson beat his gap for about 20 yards. To clays credit he has a "kampman like motor" and pursued to cause a fumble.

I believe in '06 and '07 combined Kamp led the entire NFL in sacks. Now I love clay, and I think when its all written his career will likely be better than kampmans. Kamp started slow as a 5th round pick, has had to endure playing out of position for a season, and now has suffered 2 ACL injuries. I hope none of that happens to clay.....but to reiterate:

To suggest that Clay is so far superior to Kampman is not only premature, but speaks volumes of anyone who makes that claim. Waldo (and now you) sound like Bill Walton doing and NBA game:

"Chris Webber has the best hands of any big man EVER!!:"
"NOBODY hustles like Allen Iverson...EVER!!!"
"Tia Tequilla sucks the best cock...EVER!!!"

bobblehead
12-31-2010, 12:06 PM
PS....I remember a lot of Brett defenders who wanted to dismiss actual accomplishments with platitudes. He made everyone around him better. Guys want to play harder for him. Clay might not have accomplished as much in his career as Kampman has, but teams gameplan for him more.

Newsflash, anyone who sacks the QB with consistency gets gameplanned for (except Jarred Allen against the packers in '09)

mraynrand
12-31-2010, 12:24 PM
you have a good sense of humor

vince
12-31-2010, 12:30 PM
Newsflash, anyone who sacks the QB with consistency gets gameplanned for (except Jarred Allen against the packers in '09)
The best laid plans can easily go awry when they center around Allen Barbre and Darren Colledge playing tackle.

pbmax
12-31-2010, 12:41 PM
McGinn had Matthews double-teamed 55% of plays for the Giants and said this was in line with the past four games. Kampman was never double-teamed this much.

There is a debate to be had about the choices a O coordinator must make. Stopping Matthews has to be priority #1. With Kampman, there was KGB or Corey Williams to worry about. However, this fact also explains why Matthews must be considered a greater threat earlier in his career than Kampman; even with attention focused on him unlike Kampman, he is still putting up double digit sacks seasons.

And I don't think it matters if Matthews could be blocked one on one by a Tackle since Matthews offers opportunities for pass rush that Kampman didn't. AK needed to play in specific spot from a specific formation and had to beat the tackle one on one to win the battle. Matthews is more flexible and can attack from more than one position.

mraynrand
12-31-2010, 12:42 PM
Its ridiculous for you to suggest that the guy who had the second most sacks in the NFL in 2007 wasn't gameplanned for and double teamed often. Go back and watch the game again. Also, I watched the game sunday. I saw Clay consistently get stonewalled by the right tackle...solo. So bad that he overplayed a speed rush while Brandon Jackson beat his gap for about 20 yards. To clays credit he has a "kampman like motor" and pursued to cause a fumble.

I believe in '06 and '07 combined Kamp led the entire NFL in sacks. Now I love clay, and I think when its all written his career will likely be better than kampmans. Kamp started slow as a 5th round pick, has had to endure playing out of position for a season, and now has suffered 2 ACL injuries. I hope none of that happens to clay.....but to reiterate:

To suggest that Clay is so far superior to Kampman is not only premature, but speaks volumes of anyone who makes that claim. Waldo (and now you) sound like Bill Walton doing and NBA game:

"Chris Webber has the best hands of any big man EVER!!:"
"NOBODY hustles like Allen Iverson...EVER!!!"
"Tia Tequilla sucks the best cock...EVER!!!"

P.S. you build nice strawmen. Go back and read what I wrote. To summarize: I think Matthews is and will remain a more impactful player than Kampman was (and will ever be). I just didn't think Kampman was all that special. Pretty good DE, slightly less of a player than Allen. I could be premature about Matthews, but we'll have to wait and see. That's my view - probably not as extreme as making claims about cocksucking, but I'm sure you'll let me know about that.

If you want to pull individual plays out where a OLB or DE plays poorly, I can get you a whole catalog full of ineffective Kampman downs to match any plays from Matthews - if you want to go that route.

retailguy
12-31-2010, 01:15 PM
The best laid plans can easily go awry when they center around Allen Barbre and Darren Colledge playing tackle.

How come Mac the great didn't coach 'em up? Clearly, since Thompson drafted 'em they had the talent.

mraynrand
12-31-2010, 01:19 PM
QUOTE=retailguy;561022]How come Mac the great didn't coach 'em up? Clearly, since Thompson drafted 'em they had the talent.[/QUOTE]

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/167/389693171_e641a84080.jpg[

retailguy
12-31-2010, 01:30 PM
How come Mac the great didn't coach 'em up? Clearly, since Thompson drafted 'em they had the talent.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/167/389693171_e641a84080.jpg

Good one.

On the serious side I really want to hear the explanation.

Ted's the greatest, Mac is clearly top 10, maybe top 5 by some estimates. Shouldn't they be able to trot out quality linemen, or a the least a gameplan that works? It isn't like those players were from a previous regime, they were "homegrown".

Seems that the argument is on both sides, and for me at least, that doesn't work.

vince
12-31-2010, 01:30 PM
Clearly.

mraynrand
12-31-2010, 01:47 PM
On the serious side I really want to hear the explanation.

Ted's the greatest, Mac is clearly top 10, maybe top 5 by some estimates. Shouldn't they be able to trot out quality linemen, or a the least a gameplan that works? It isn't like those players were from a previous regime, they were "homegrown".

Seems that the argument is on both sides, and for me at least, that doesn't work.

No you don't, not really. When you're serious, come up with your own answer. I think you have one already.

retailguy
12-31-2010, 01:51 PM
No you don't, not really. When you're serious, come up with your own answer. I think you have one already.

Well, I don't understand how you can hype and defend both of these guys, and then say that essentially there was a plan but the players didn't execute. I don't happen to believe that's true. It sounds like a cop out to me.

So, why don't you give me your answer, because, "clearly", I got the only answer I'm getting out of Vince.

bobblehead
12-31-2010, 01:52 PM
And you thought I set up a strawman.

bobblehead
12-31-2010, 02:00 PM
P.S. you build nice strawmen. Go back and read what I wrote. To summarize: I think Matthews is and will remain a more impactful player than Kampman was (and will ever be). I just didn't think Kampman was all that special. Pretty good DE, slightly less of a player than Allen. I could be premature about Matthews, but we'll have to wait and see. That's my view - probably not as extreme as making claims about cocksucking, but I'm sure you'll let me know about that.

If you want to pull individual plays out where a OLB or DE plays poorly, I can get you a whole catalog full of ineffective Kampman downs to match any plays from Matthews - if you want to go that route.

Look, again, I am the one making more reasonable claims. I think Mathews will, long term, have a better career than kamp, but to label Kamp "pretty good. Not all that special" is foolish. Over a 2 year span he had more sacks than anyone in the entire league. Mathews has not come close to that YET. I'm not building any strawman whatsoever. You pick a 4 game stretch to cite double teams. Obviously I have no way to go back and find a 4 game stretch where kamp was double teamed to compare. I also think this team has had more big leads so they can pin the ears back than '07.

I can't make my position any clearer. kampman was special. Likely not as special as clay, but the jury is still out. Its too bad he got stuck playing out of position and got injured in his prime.

mraynrand
12-31-2010, 02:16 PM
Look, again, I am the one making more reasonable claims. I think Mathews will, long term, have a better career than kamp, but to label Kamp "pretty good. Not all that special" is foolish. Over a 2 year span he had more sacks than anyone in the entire league. Mathews has not come close to that YET. I'm not building any strawman whatsoever. You pick a 4 game stretch to cite double teams. Obviously I have no way to go back and find a 4 game stretch where kamp was double teamed to compare. I also think this team has had more big leads so they can pin the ears back than '07.

I can't make my position any clearer. kampman was special. Likely not as special as clay, but the jury is still out. Its too bad he got stuck playing out of position and got injured in his prime.

not all that special = pretty good, slightly less than Allen. Very special = people considering you for defensive player of the year. OK? Terms defined. Does that help?

mraynrand
12-31-2010, 02:18 PM
Well, I don't understand how you can hype and defend both of these guys, and then say that essentially there was a plan but the players didn't execute. I don't happen to believe that's true. It sounds like a cop out to me.

So, why don't you give me your answer, because, "clearly", I got the only answer I'm getting out of Vince.

Answer your own question. Why didn't McCarthy coach 'em up?

retailguy
12-31-2010, 02:20 PM
Answer your own question. Why didn't McCarthy coach 'em up?

I don't happen to think that was the issue.

I don't believe McCarthy had a great game plan for that particular game.

I don't believe Barbre was a good draft choice.

I don't believe that Colledge has had the best coaching, and I don't believe his attitude has helped with the coaching he has received.

I'm still waiting for your view.

swede
12-31-2010, 09:28 PM
Geez, this thread reads like something from early March.
You ignorant bastards.

vince
01-01-2011, 03:10 AM

I don't believe that Colledge has had the best coaching, and I don't believe his attitude has helped with the coaching he has received.

Why this even needs to be answered is a mystery. It's the same premise that's been made already and ignored. With a Head Coach, GM, and player performance, you simply have to look at the body of work in order to make anything close to an objective assessment. Handpicking individual or a relatively small number of instances of a bad playcall, poorly prepared team, bad draft pick, etc. simply does not make any case whatsoever in terms of an overall assessment of the coach, GM or player.

I'll let you figure out the things it does make a case for.

packerbacker1234
01-01-2011, 08:28 AM

You need to also factor this: Cullen Jenkins, who has been oustanding this year even when he had the club on his hand, has been out 3 games.

This meant:

1. When we only rushed 3, it was always Raji, Picket, Matthews. You couldn't disguise Matthews as he was, essentially, considered the 3rd down linemen. In that situation, with those 3, Matthews is the most Dangerous to get to the QB, while Raji is the most dangerous to run against and Picket is more of a solid role player than a play maker - best used to open up things for Jenkings/raji.

2. Matthews hasn't been able to practice much, which is claimed to be a reason he hasn't been moving around. If you recall, when he was on his early tear, Matthews was coming from everywhere. Right, Left, stunts up the gut... last 4 games he has just been coming off the left side. This is in part because he hasn;t practiced, but also has to be in part that Jenkins isn't there. Matthews, in passing situations, can't just play that blitzing LB role - he is playing the role of a linemen.

Kampman was a great 4-3 DE. He was even having a good year this year until the injury. I will never question that Kampman was one of the premier pass rushing 4-3 DE's in the game. The question here is who saw more attention - and I think it's easy to say it's Matthews.

Why?

- Matthews has had to practically be a Linemen the last 3 games in a 3 linemen set.
- Kampman always had at least 3 other down linemen with him, plus maybe a blitzer.
- While Kampman was gameplanned for, like Jared ALlen is, like Peppers, blah blah, in general DE's just see A LOT of one on ones. There are usually 4 down linement and if too much attention is given one way, it opens the door on the backside too easily to blitzes.

As in, Matthews has to fight through more blocks simply because he is in a different scheme, and due to injuries, is being relied to do MORE than should be normally required, and thus, is limiting his ability to change the pace. With Jenkins supposedly coming back on Sunday, it should be exciting to see if Matthews can move around a bit. Hopefully should we win, Matthews is back to practicing for the playoffs.

Scott Campbell
01-01-2011, 09:02 AM
AK doesn't have an uncle in Canton.

mraynrand
01-01-2011, 11:59 AM

I never had any interest in answering your dumbass, baiting questions - I only was making the point that you're trotting out the same dumbass point, in the same baiting manner that you've been doing now for what? - how many months? BORING! We get the point, and it's not a very interesting or enlightening point. And the sardonic delivery is irritating.

Packers4Ever
01-01-2011, 01:47 PM
Hey guys, just a quick question here,

has anybody seen "Da Baddest Bear" yet?

Not that I miss him.....hehehe

Packers4Ever
sig coming soon!
Packers4Ever

bobblehead
01-01-2011, 03:49 PM
You need to also factor this: Cullen Jenkins, who has been oustanding this year even when he had the club on his hand, has been out 3 games.

This meant:

1. When we only rushed 3, it was always Raji, Picket, Matthews. You couldn't disguise Matthews as he was, essentially, considered the 3rd down linemen. In that situation, with those 3, Matthews is the most Dangerous to get to the QB, while Raji is the most dangerous to run against and Picket is more of a solid role player than a play maker - best used to open up things for Jenkings/raji.

2. Matthews hasn't been able to practice much, which is claimed to be a reason he hasn't been moving around. If you recall, when he was on his early tear, Matthews was coming from everywhere. Right, Left, stunts up the gut... last 4 games he has just been coming off the left side. This is in part because he hasn;t practiced, but also has to be in part that Jenkins isn't there. Matthews, in passing situations, can't just play that blitzing LB role - he is playing the role of a linemen.

Kampman was a great 4-3 DE. He was even having a good year this year until the injury. I will never question that Kampman was one of the premier pass rushing 4-3 DE's in the game. The question here is who saw more attention - and I think it's easy to say it's Matthews.

Why?

- Matthews has had to practically be a Linemen the last 3 games in a 3 linemen set.
- Kampman always had at least 3 other down linemen with him, plus maybe a blitzer.
- While Kampman was gameplanned for, like Jared ALlen is, like Peppers, blah blah, in general DE's just see A LOT of one on ones. There are usually 4 down linement and if too much attention is given one way, it opens the door on the backside too easily to blitzes.

As in, Matthews has to fight through more blocks simply because he is in a different scheme, and due to injuries, is being relied to do MORE than should be normally required, and thus, is limiting his ability to change the pace. With Jenkins supposedly coming back on Sunday, it should be exciting to see if Matthews can move around a bit. Hopefully should we win, Matthews is back to practicing for the playoffs.

And when Clay gets 15.5 in a season I will say "cool, he has now equalled Kampmans best season" I suspect he will. He might never. I'm just trying to keep people grounded a bit....the people who were predicting him breaking Strahans record after week 3. I'm also trying to get people to stop dissing Kampman based on preconceived notions about his talent. The man was an exceptional player. A guy teams gameplanned for.

When you are on winning teams and have talent around you, you get more credit than you deserve often. And vice versa. I would argue that Kamp NEVER lined up anywhere close to a guy with BJ Raji's talent. At least to my credit, BJ has already done something none of Kampy's DLine teammates have done. Played a monster number of snaps and stayed effective.

mraynrand
01-01-2011, 04:27 PM
And when Clay gets 15.5 in a season I will say "cool, he has now equalled Kampmans best season" I suspect he will. He might never. I'm just trying to keep people grounded a bit....the people who were predicting him breaking Strahans record after week 3. I'm also trying to get people to stop dissing Kampman based on preconceived notions about his talent. The man was an exceptional player. A guy teams gameplanned for.

When you are on winning teams and have talent around you, you get more credit than you deserve often. And vice versa. I would argue that Kamp NEVER lined up anywhere close to a guy with BJ Raji's talent. At least to my credit, BJ has already done something none of Kampy's DLine teammates have done. Played a monster number of snaps and stayed effective.

Except maybe New Orleans. Maybe Matthews had something to do with Raji playing better. Surprisingly, Corey Williams seems to be playing 'much better' next to Suh.

pbmax
01-01-2011, 05:28 PM
How can Rats have preconceived notions about his talent when we watched him for seven years before having this conversation?

AK is a motor, effort and technique player. He played with an effective KGB, a younger Jenkins and a breakout Corey Williams. Raji has just started to expand his game in the second half of the season.

If you want to argue that Matthews hasn't yet surpassed Kampman as a pass rusher, I can agree. But I think Waldo's point stands. Matthews is more disruptive right now than Kampman was.

get louder at lambeau
01-01-2011, 05:33 PM
I believe in '06 and '07 combined Kamp led the entire NFL in sacks.

No he didn't.

bobblehead
01-02-2011, 09:42 AM
How can Rats have preconceived notions about his talent when we watched him for seven years before having this conversation?

AK is a motor, effort and technique player. He played with an effective KGB, a younger Jenkins and a breakout Corey Williams. Raji has just started to expand his game in the second half of the season.

If you want to argue that Matthews hasn't yet surpassed Kampman as a pass rusher, I can agree. But I think Waldo's point stands. Matthews is more disruptive right now than Kampman was.

The preconceived notion is that a technique player is inferior to a speed rusher. Now, if Mathews developes some of the techniques that Kampman had, he will be unstoppable. I hope he does. I am hoping to be proven wrong here. I even expect that he will.

As for who played around them. Corey Williams was breakout because of Kampman and KGB. He crapped out with Cleveland and is now is merely ok in Detroit. I trust TT who chose to trade him rather than pay him. KGB was a great speed rusher who did help Kampman about the same as Raji helps Mathews. Jenkins we can call a push, but I believe he is better now than he was then.

Waldos point wasn't that Mathews was "more disruptive" than Kampman. I can't recall the exact quote, but he basically said that Kampman couldn't hold Mathews jock strap. And furthermore, I don't believe that Mathews is that much more disruptive at this point. Maybe a bit more. I give him a lot of credit for some of his strips. I have soured on him quite a bit in recent weeks as a rusher when he can't move around as much and surprise a team. He isn't getting to the QB as much. Its a teamwide thing of course. Jenkins has been out/hurt, we are starting the towel boy at the opposite OLB spot, playing better teams etc.

bobblehead
01-02-2011, 09:42 AM
No he didn't.

So who did. Not doubting you, since I said I believe because I thought I remembered reading it. I'm guessing you actually know the answer though.

bobblehead
01-02-2011, 09:52 AM
Nevermind. Now I know why you didn't name the name. You would have had to post it like this:

Shawn Merriman*

Anyway, I propose a piece offering to all. Today, Clay can get 3 sacks, breaking cutlers right forearm and finish with more than Kamp ever had, thus cementing him as better. I'm ok with that.

pbmax
01-02-2011, 10:47 AM
The preconceived notion is that a technique player is inferior to a speed rusher. Now, if Mathews developes some of the techniques that Kampman had, he will be unstoppable. I hope he does. I am hoping to be proven wrong here. I even expect that he will.

As for who played around them. Corey Williams was breakout because of Kampman and KGB. He crapped out with Cleveland and is now is merely ok in Detroit. I trust TT who chose to trade him rather than pay him. KGB was a great speed rusher who did help Kampman about the same as Raji helps Mathews. Jenkins we can call a push, but I believe he is better now than he was then.

Waldos point wasn't that Mathews was "more disruptive" than Kampman. I can't recall the exact quote, but he basically said that Kampman couldn't hold Mathews jock strap. And furthermore, I don't believe that Mathews is that much more disruptive at this point. Maybe a bit more. I give him a lot of credit for some of his strips. I have soured on him quite a bit in recent weeks as a rusher when he can't move around as much and surprise a team. He isn't getting to the QB as much. Its a teamwide thing of course. Jenkins has been out/hurt, we are starting the towel boy at the opposite OLB spot, playing better teams etc.

I think Capers has covered the moving around part. With Matthews not practicing, they have done more base stuff with him. This will be his second week of nearly full practice participation. Last week he moved around more than he had, and this week might be more of the same, depending on how Capers attacks the Bears.

bobblehead
01-02-2011, 02:18 PM
I think Capers has covered the moving around part. With Matthews not practicing, they have done more base stuff with him. This will be his second week of nearly full practice participation. Last week he moved around more than he had, and this week might be more of the same, depending on how Capers attacks the Bears.

Agree, I read the same thing. I was a bit bothered when I read something earlier about Mathews saying its not a big deal if he misses practice as long as he doesn't miss games. I was hoping it sounded worse than he meant it. Now he is back at practice and moving more. He still didn't get to the QB last week, but he impacted the game.

I've always been of the opinion that the better your teammates are, the better you are. I think we have the makings of a pretty dominant 5 year run if things hold the course. Clay will be a big part of that, but I would still like to see another OLB that can compliment him (and stay on the field).