PDA

View Full Version : State of the Vikings

vince
12-31-2010, 12:46 PM
http://1500espn.com/sportswire/Pelissero_For_aging_Vikings_visit_to_Detroit_may_b e_their_last_stand123110#

For Aging Vikings, Visit to Detroit May Be the Last Stand

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. -- There was a touch of capitulation in Pat Williams' voice as he glanced around the locker room.

In the final throes of his sixth season with the Minnesota Vikings, the 38-year-old nose tackle knows there's a fairly good chance he'll pack his belongings on Monday, pick up his ever-present rocking chair and walk out the doors of Winter Park for the final time.

"They'll need to rebuild around here," Williams said, rocking next to his locker on Thursday afternoon. "It's going to be kind of rough. ... It'll be real rough."

These are the last strange days of a season gone hopelessly haywire. And as it goes so often in the win-now-or-else NFL, many of those who have endured all the drama and disappointment together won't have a chance to make good -- at least not here.

Of the 60 players on the Vikings' active roster and injured reserve, 22 are unsigned beyond this season. Williams is among the eldest of 18 who have at least four years' service, meaning they could be headed for unrestricted free agency.

Just as significant: 20 players, including Williams, will be on the wrong side of age 30 by the time the 2011 season begins. And the coaches who have wanted them around apparently will take the field on Sunday at Detroit with no indication from owner Zygi Wilf if it's their final day as Vikings, too.

"It's going to be a long offseason," veteran cornerback Antoine Winfield. "Change happens every year. You get new players, new coaches, so I just take it year to year. I prepare myself to go out there and do my job."

Winfield, 33, is aging better than most. But for any player entering his career's late stages, change -- in leadership, personnel, scheme -- tends to sound like reconstruction.

Change takes time and usually requires steps back before bigger steps forward. Change is no place for old men.

"I want to see, talk to my agent and see what he say, stuff like that, and just figure it out," Williams said. "But I want to win, though. That's my main focus."

Though Williams isn't what he once was, some team -- maybe a contender -- probably will be willing to pay him to take up space for 25 snaps a game.

Place-kicker Ryan Longwell, 36, and linebacker Ben Leber, 32, also may find better offers elsewhere as the Vikings focus on re-signing the younger likes of linebacker Chad Greenway and receiver Sidney Rice.

Quarterback Brett Favre, 41, seems more likely to follow Jon Gruden someplace than return under a new Vikings regime if he goes back on retirement again.

Receiver Bernard Berrian and safety Madieu Williams, who both turn 30 next season, are wildly overpaid and seem unlikely to return.

A youth movement could proceed without starting guards Steve Hutchinson, 33, and Anthony Herrera, 30, given that Hutchinson's declining play doesn't match his monster contract and Herrera will be coming off knee reconstruction.

Several veteran backups -- including quarterback Patrick Ramsey (31), receiver Greg Lewis (30) and cornerback Lito Sheppard (30 in April) -- may be lucky to find work at all.

What's certain is a roster built to a win a championship this season will take the field on Sunday trying merely to avoid finishing at the bottom of their division for the first time in two decades.

"We were talking about that (Thursday) in the meeting room," Williams said. "We say, 'We can't go in last place.'"

But if they do?

Well, it'll be up to a far different -- and probably much younger -- group to put the mess of 2010 in the past and turn things around next fall.

Smidgeon
12-31-2010, 01:13 PM
Pat Williams has a rocking chair "ever present"? I think I like this guy even a little more.

Fritz
12-31-2010, 02:31 PM
I wonder if Ted might be tempted to sign any of these soon-to-be former Vikings? Probably not...

Kiwon
01-01-2011, 12:36 AM
Trouble in Viking land? :-)

MadScientist
01-01-2011, 04:22 PM
From the title of the thread, I thought it was going to be about what state the Vikings will be calling home.

mraynrand
01-01-2011, 04:50 PM
Webb out-vicked Vick on Tuesday. Fluke, or preview of coming attractions? If the Vikes have pulled a Brady-like move and drafted a franchise QB from the sixth round, their fortunes could be revived, as quickly as it takes to re-inflate the Metrodome. Seems to me every time the Vikings seem to be done, they pull a rabbit from the hat...

swede
01-01-2011, 09:13 PM
We draft #5 and get Hawk. They draft #7 and get purple Jesus. They pick a Wide receiver in the 6th round and end up with a dangerous athletic quarterback who can pass and move around enough to make that shitty offensive line look good.

The Vikings really are awesome villains...they have a talent for exciting negative feelings ranging from annoyance to loathing.

ND72
01-01-2011, 09:24 PM
I for one enjoy seeing the queens in flux, and appreciate the stability we have in green bay.

get louder at lambeau
01-01-2011, 11:51 PM
They have certainly had some successes in personnel recently. Some flops like Randy Moss too. I think their window is probably closed for a couple years.

packrulz
01-02-2011, 02:54 AM
First they had the Favre texting scandal, then they traded for Randy Moss and cut him, they fired Childress, and the Metro Dome collapsed, this will take years for them to recover. In addition, they want a new stadium , the team is aging, and there are rumors of the team moving. I hope they don't move though, the Packers/Vikings rivalry is fun to watch.

Pugger
01-02-2011, 07:20 AM
If they moved I won't shed a tear. I have no love for that bunch, that's for sure. MN did what a lot of fans like = they signed big name FAs on the wrong side of 30 and put all their chips in the middle of the table but didn't have a ace in their hand. Now they will pay the piper and will have to rebuild. It will be fun seeing them near the bottom of the division for a while. :laugh:

pbmax
01-02-2011, 10:17 AM
Everyone thought the team was headed for a down period when Denny Green left threatening to sue Red McCombs for his ownership share. Even Florio at PFT thinks the Viking front office are a bunch of stumblebums.

But even if the Triangle of Authority (Chilldress-Rob Brzezinski-Rick Spielman) is now a straight line, Brzezinski knows what he is doing (he along with the Eagles mastered the pay if forward cap schemes) and Spielman has been doing OK in the draft as well. They will have the players to rebuild quickly.

Don't sleep on the Purple People.

woodbuck27
01-02-2011, 10:35 AM
Teams like the ** Chiefs, Rams and Bucs are proof a team can have a quick turn around.

They have some solid talent in Joe Webb (Yup he has it...talent), S. Rice, P. Harvin, V. Shianacoe and C. Greenway. It's in the lines that they need to concentrate their best efforts with solid draft picks. Then add waiting patiently. Maybe there in three seasons (see above *).

Their OL was horrid this season and S. Hutchinson looks done. They may need a new kicker as Longwell will seek his best last deal as a FA.

GO PACKERS !

pbmax
01-02-2011, 10:42 AM
Teams like the ** Chiefs, Rams and Bucs are proof a team can have a quick turn around.

They have some solid talent in Joe Webb (Yup he has it...talent), S. Rice, P. Harvin, V. Shianacoe and C. Greenway. It's in the lines that they need to concentrate their best efforts with solid draft picks. Then add waiting patiently. Maybe there in three seasons (see above *).

Their OL was horrid this season and S. Hutchinson looks done. They may need a new kicker as Longwell will seek his best last deal as a FA.

GO PACKERS !

But Woodie, those horrible teams with an amazing turnaround usually have years of high draft picks stockpiled for talent. Vikings will need to be more creative.

VegasPackFan
01-02-2011, 11:07 AM
If they moved I won't shed a tear. I have no love for that bunch, that's for sure. MN did what a lot of fans like = they signed big name FAs on the wrong side of 30 and put all their chips in the middle of the table but didn't have a ace in their hand. Now they will pay the piper and will have to rebuild. It will be fun seeing them near the bottom of the division for a while. :laugh:

If they moved to the west coast, we could end up seeing a re-shuffle of divisions again and potentially end up with St. Louis in our division - that would suck!

Iron Mike
01-02-2011, 11:23 AM
Couldn't happen to a nicer team. :)

ND72
01-02-2011, 01:29 PM
If they moved to the west coast, we could end up seeing a re-shuffle of divisions again and potentially end up with St. Louis in our division - that would suck!

St. Louis is a 5-11 team maybe in our division right now.

Joemailman
01-02-2011, 10:18 PM
Can't get enough of this picture:

http://learncopysucceed.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/BurningVikingShip.jpg

Tarlam!
01-03-2011, 07:29 AM

St. Louis is a 5-11 team maybe in our division right now.

That was this year, ND72. That QB they started this year is pretty decent and they're serious about improving.

Let's look at the NFCN: The Bears are what they are and I don't see them greatly improving with their front office. Most around here believe they got really lucky this season, I believe that. But, they won the division and have a target on their backs. I remember last time Lovie coached a team with that stigma; it was awful to see.

Detroit is benefitting from a new front office, that new QB/WR combo and that beast of a DT and they are learning to play in all three phases. In fact, my prediction this year was Chicago last in the division, the other 3 teams in the playoff hunt! I see Detroit improving to be the main competitor for the Packers.
Others here have Minnie either moving, or shovelling their graves, or both.

At any rate, I think the Packers will have their hands full with Detroit for the foreseeable future. Don't want no new stud Ram team on the block, no way no how!!

VermontPackFan
01-03-2011, 07:38 AM
These problems couldnt happen to a more deserving team or group of fans... I will not be shedding any tears for either.

Guiness
01-03-2011, 08:23 AM
That was this year, ND72. That QB they started this year is pretty decent and they're serious about improving.

Let's look at the NFCN: The Bears are what they are and I don't see them greatly improving with their front office. Most around here believe they got really lucky this season, I believe that. But, they won the division and have a target on their backs. I remember last time Lovie coached a team with that stigma; it was awful to see.

Detroit is benefitting from a new front office, that new QB/WR combo and that beast of a DT and they are learning to play in all three phases. In fact, my prediction this year was Chicago last in the division, the other 3 teams in the playoff hunt! I see Detroit improving to be the main competitor for the Packers.
Others here have Minnie either moving, or shovelling their graves, or both.

At any rate, I think the Packers will have their hands full with Detroit for the foreseeable future. Don't want no new stud Ram team on the block, no way no how!!

Really think St-L will be that good going forward? IMO that reallly is tbd. 7 wins this year...3 against other teams in the division, which pretty much count as division 1 teams. One against Carolina. Another against Denver. Their only impressive win was against SD, which was a good team on paper, but tanked a lot of games this year. Jackson is getting closer to 30, and his body won't hold up. They have no receivers. Sure, 6 more wins than the year before is good, but I wouldn't call them 'a team on the rise'.

Detroit is in a better position. Suh showed he can play, Johnson is finally a WR they are happy they drafted, and Best might be a solid RB. The QB I'm not so sure about, I haven't been as impressed as others, and who knows if he can stay on the field.

Cheesehead Craig
01-03-2011, 08:30 AM
Vikes have a lot of players as UFA, Greenway, Edwards and Rice are all UFA (along with about 15 other players, they have a lot of openings). Those 3 are going to command a fairly healthy salary. They don't have a legit QB on the roster now. Webb isn't the answer as while he's athletic, he's a major project and isn't near being a legit NFL QB now. TJack is gone and Brett is as well. Thier OL is terrible. Hutchinson is getting close to the end and their Tackles are not very good at all. They don't have a replacement for Fat Williams and he's retiring. Their secondary is below average as well.

While there are teams that have the big turnaround in one season, I don't see that here. There's too many pieces missing.

Guiness
01-03-2011, 08:53 AM
Winfield is also an FA, and at an age where you want to be careful (33).

That team was definitely built to win it all this year, with no regard for the future, and I agree that they'll be awful next year.

MichiganPackerFan
01-03-2011, 12:27 PM
MIN is done for half a decade, at least. They went all in, got close last year, but got the door slammed shut by GB this year.

CHI will not get this lucky again. And yes: they were lucky, a handful of games handed to them by the officials AND facing third string QB's four times.

GB: TT showed he can get the most out of his roster and replenish it over. and over. and over. and over. They have a young defensive nucleus in Raji, Matthews, Williams, and a list of solid players the next tier down. On O, the O-line is fairly young after clifton, 3 of 4 WR's are young. And there is depth, depth depth.

DET: They are young, talented with Suh and Megatron (best nickname EVER). Stafford might be a bust though and it could hold them back.

I see GB and DET fighting it out over the next 5 years or so with CHI occasionally competing and MIN playing the role of Detroit.

Scott Campbell
01-03-2011, 01:12 PM

I guess that whole Favre/Moss dream marriage thing didn't go quite as planned.

gbgary
01-03-2011, 01:15 PM
MIN is done for half a decade, at least. They went all in, got close last year, but got the door slammed shut by GB this year.

CHI will not get this lucky again. And yes: they were lucky, a handful of games handed to them by the officials AND facing third string QB's four times.

GB: TT showed he can get the most out of his roster and replenish it over. and over. and over. and over. They have a young defensive nucleus in Raji, Matthews, Williams, and a list of solid players the next tier down. On O, the O-line is fairly young after clifton, 3 of 4 WR's are young. And there is depth, depth depth.

DET: They are young, talented with Suh and Megatron (best nickname EVER). Stafford might be a bust though and it could hold them back.

I see GB and DET fighting it out over the next 5 years or so with CHI occasionally competing and MIN playing the role of Detroit.

a bust only because of injuries. he's very good when he's in there.

MichiganPackerFan
01-03-2011, 01:53 PM

Oh, COMPLETELY agree.

Green Bud Packer
01-03-2011, 01:56 PM
It's a sorry state the Queens are in. Sorry,sorry,sorry and I'm loving,loving,loving it.

It's playoff time and no Queens to be found.

Go Pack

PA Pack Fan
01-03-2011, 02:00 PM
For a boatload of laughs, go here = http://www.vikingsmessageboard.com/

If you can stand the hideous colors!

Scott Campbell
01-03-2011, 04:29 PM
It's a sorry state the Queens are in. Sorry,sorry,sorry and I'm loving,loving,loving it.

It's playoff time and no Queens to be found.

Go Pack

I think they'll be better next year just from getting rid of Favre. That whole freak show had to be distracting.

Lurker64
01-03-2011, 04:34 PM

Well, injuries are also the only reason that Justin Harrell is a bust. He's also been good when he's playing.

Iron Mike
01-08-2011, 10:05 AM
I wonder if Ted might be tempted to sign any of these soon-to-be former Vikings? Probably not...

Especially the DTs....wouldn't they be subjected to NFLPA rules for taking StarCaps once they leave MN???

Joemailman
01-08-2011, 10:20 AM
I think they'll be better next year just from getting rid of Favre. That whole freak show had to be distracting.

Maybe, if Joe Webb is the answer. But just ask the Arizona Cardinals what happens if he isn't.

get louder at lambeau
01-08-2011, 10:40 AM
I guess that whole Favre/Moss dream marriage thing didn't go quite as planned.

Well, maybe if they would have listened to Faver's sage advice and gotten Steve Mariucci as a coach...

Joemailman
01-08-2011, 10:44 AM
Just as significant: 20 players, including Williams, will be on the wrong side of age 30 by the time the 2011 season begins.

Contrast this with the Packers who currently have 9 players on their active roster who are 29 or older. Of these 9, 3 (Bigby, Green and Wilhelm) probably won't be back next year.

Smidgeon
01-08-2011, 07:01 PM
Well, injuries are also the only reason that Justin Harrell is a bust. He's also been good when he's playing.

+1 I think too many people forget that...

MadtownPacker
01-09-2011, 11:35 AM
For a boatload of laughs, go here = http://www.vikingsmessageboard.com/

If you can stand the hideous colors!Yeah, it is almost as ugly as you said this site was, you fucking bitch ass Mfer.

SlimPickens
01-09-2011, 12:32 PM
http://packerpalace.com/blogold/viking-trophycase.jpg

Tarlam!
01-09-2011, 03:11 PM
Now, that pic from SlimP is frickin' hilarious!

red
01-09-2011, 03:21 PM
queens almost have to draft a QB in the draft, luck staying in school is gonna hurt them a lot as he would have pushed down some other qb's

but at #12 theres still a good chance they can get cam newton, or mallet, or jake locker

at least that would give them some hope at QB

they're gonna almost be in full blown rebuild mode for the next couple of years i would think, so go out and get your franchise QB

Scott Campbell
01-10-2011, 08:05 AM
http://i51.tinypic.com/22dk3s.jpg