PDA

View Full Version : Dom Capers Appreciation Thread

Brandon494
01-03-2011, 04:16 PM
Defense wins in the playoffs and I like our chances with this guy calling plays.

gbgary
01-03-2011, 04:20 PM
:bow:

Lurker64
01-03-2011, 04:22 PM
Give this man a raise and an extension!

red
01-03-2011, 04:30 PM
i hope with all the head coach openings this offseason that we manage to keep him

pbmax
01-03-2011, 04:34 PM
i hope with all the head coach openings this offseason that we manage to keep him

Best way to do that is to go deep into the playoffs. Given his last gig, I am not sure he will be at the top of many lists. Did anyone else notice the Packers avoided the Second Year of Capers Defense jinx?

Kiwon
01-03-2011, 06:12 PM
Capers was TT's best hire.

Joemailman
01-03-2011, 06:16 PM
I see the "Give No Credit To McCarthy" crowd isn't giving up.

PaCkFan_n_MD
01-03-2011, 06:17 PM
If he comes up big in the playoffs I will be right with everyone else. The defense played great during the regular season last year, but then we all saw what happened in the playoffs. If he gets the defense to play big in the postseason I will give the man his credit. Playing good defense when it counts the most is what I'm interested in.

Brandon494
01-03-2011, 06:31 PM

MM has done a fine job this season as well but I believe Capers has done a better job with what we lost on defense yet was still be top 3.

sheepshead
01-03-2011, 06:37 PM
An epic job of coaching, really.

Pugger
01-03-2011, 06:40 PM
I pray nobody gives him a coaching offer he cannot refuse!

Cheesehead Craig
01-03-2011, 06:42 PM
Same thoughts here, hope he decides that he'd rather stay on for a few more years.

steve823
01-03-2011, 06:50 PM
If I'm TT I'm throwing Capers big money and I'm making him the highest paid defense coordinator with a nice amount of years too.

pbmax
01-03-2011, 06:51 PM
If he comes up big in the playoffs I will be right with everyone else. The defense played great during the regular season last year, but then we all saw what happened in the playoffs. If he gets the defense to play big in the postseason I will give the man his credit. Playing good defense when it counts the most is what I'm interested in.

Well, there were some sign of the problem in the 2009 reg season. Like the Pittsburgh game, the Vikings and possibly the Bucs game.

Joemailman
01-03-2011, 07:02 PM

MM has done a fine job this season as well but I believe Capers has done a better job with what we lost on defense yet was still be top 3.

Oh, I agree. I was responding to what I perceived as a suggestion that McCarthy didn't have much to do with the hiring of Capers.

Fritz
01-03-2011, 07:06 PM
I think Capers has had two head coaching gigs - one was with the expansion Carolin franchise, the second with Houston. He had that great 12-4 year in '96 but got knocked out of the playoffs by some team, I don't remember who....hmmm.....anyway, that was four years. His second gig was with Houston, again for four years. Other than that one great year, his teams were always under .500. His overall record was 48 -80.

He hasn't been a head coach in five years. I think the man has found his niche as one of the great D-coordinators, like the Eagles' old D-coordinator, (was his name Jim Johnson?) and Dick LeBeau in Pittsburgh.

Joemailman
01-03-2011, 07:16 PM
He hasn't been a head coach in five years. I think the man has found his niche as one of the great D-coordinators, like the Eagles' old D-coordinator, (was his name Jim Johnson?) and Dick LeBeau in Pittsburgh.

I agree. It also doesn't hurt that he has a HC willing to give him what appears to be a co-coach position, and a GM that is willing to invest heavily in the draft on the defensive side of the ball.

bobblehead
01-03-2011, 07:28 PM
Best way to do that is to go deep into the playoffs. Given his last gig, I am not sure he will be at the top of many lists. Did anyone else notice the Packers avoided the Second Year of Capers Defense jinx?

I saw it. I chalked it up to TT supplying him with enough talent to continue to mix it up...also to the fact that we switched from a 4-3 and had a lot of room to continue to learn and improve.

MichiganPackerFan
01-04-2011, 11:02 AM
Helluva job Dom, and your hair still looks COMPLETELY natural.

Bretsky
01-04-2011, 02:08 PM
Capers was TT's best hire.

Guys that jump out me as stellar hires

Capers
Greene
Clements

HarveyWallbangers
01-04-2011, 02:11 PM
Assistant coaches that I like: Capers, Greene, Clements, Joe Philbin, Jimmy Robinson, Edgar Bennett, Ben McAdoo, Mike Trgovac, Darren Perry, Joe Whitt

vince
01-04-2011, 02:47 PM
I agree with that list. With the play of Hawk and Bishop this year,I have a hard time finding too much to bitch about Winston Moss.

I was a bit concerned about Joe Whitt last year, but you have to be impressed with the way that Williams and Shields have stepped up. Getting a guy as inexperienced as Shields to damn near shut down guys this year is a phenomenal accomplishment.

Smidgeon
01-04-2011, 03:00 PM
Assistant coaches that I like: Capers, Greene, Clements, Joe Philbin, Jimmy Robinson, Edgar Bennett, Ben McAdoo, Mike Trgovac, Darren Perry, Joe Whitt

So basically no ST, OL, or ILB?

packerbacker1234
01-04-2011, 03:23 PM
Guys that jump out me as stellar hires

Capers
Greene
Clements

Yeah, the media blows up Greene a lot more than we do due to his past in terms of being a player in the NFL, but Kevin Greene has done one hell of a job with those LB's. Also, it's hard to really know who to give the most credit to for the Kevin Greene Hiring. Was that on TT, or was it on Capers? Afterall, this is "capers" defense, and thus, caper's staff. I am sure Capers had his pick and was the main guy doing the interviews for coaches to fit into his system. Kevin Greene has been absolutely brilliant in his development of Clay Matthews, and of course making whoever gets plugged in be effective - like Walden last week, or Zombo before him.

I also have to give MM a little credit for the hiring of capers as well. As the head coach, he clearly had a major say in the direction this defense was going to go 2 years ago. Switching from a 4-3 to the 3-4 was going to be controversial, and MM had to fully believe in that switch to allow it to happen. MM had mos tlikely as much to do with the hiring of capers as TT did - as it was prolly TT that contacted and got the list of potential people, and MM who narrowed the list down with TT and MM concluding together that capers was the right man, and that TT committing to drafting what capers needed.

It would seem, to me, to be a collective effort, and I need to give MM props. Not just for holding this team together this season, but for "slowly" improving his play calling. He isn't perfect, but his game calls are better right now than they were 2 years ago. He's getting better, the staff around him is getting better, and the players are believing in the coaches. Can't ask for much more.

Outside of SLocum, this coaching staff, this team, has been a wonder to watch this year. And hey, credit wher eit is due, Slocum had his special teams ready to fucking play last week. Now prove that wasn't a fluke and carry it into the playoffs.

Bretsky
01-04-2011, 05:58 PM

I'd add Jimmy Robinson and Darren Perry as guys I like more than the they're ok group

Joemailman
01-04-2011, 06:50 PM
Yeah, the media blows up Greene a lot more than we do due to his past in terms of being a player in the NFL, but Kevin Greene has done one hell of a job with those LB's. Also, it's hard to really know who to give the most credit to for the Kevin Greene Hiring. Was that on TT, or was it on Capers? Afterall, this is "capers" defense, and thus, caper's staff. I am sure Capers had his pick and was the main guy doing the interviews for coaches to fit into his system. Kevin Greene has been absolutely brilliant in his development of Clay Matthews, and of course making whoever gets plugged in be effective - like Walden last week, or Zombo before him.

I also have to give MM a little credit for the hiring of capers as well. As the head coach, he clearly had a major say in the direction this defense was going to go 2 years ago. Switching from a 4-3 to the 3-4 was going to be controversial, and MM had to fully believe in that switch to allow it to happen. MM had mos tlikely as much to do with the hiring of capers as TT did - as it was prolly TT that contacted and got the list of potential people, and MM who narrowed the list down with TT and MM concluding together that capers was the right man, and that TT committing to drafting what capers needed.

It would seem, to me, to be a collective effort, and I need to give MM props. Not just for holding this team together this season, but for "slowly" improving his play calling. He isn't perfect, but his game calls are better right now than they were 2 years ago. He's getting better, the staff around him is getting better, and the players are believing in the coaches. Can't ask for much more.

Outside of SLocum, this coaching staff, this team, has been a wonder to watch this year. And hey, credit wher eit is due, Slocum had his special teams ready to fucking play last week. Now prove that wasn't a fluke and carry it into the playoffs.

When Capers got the DC job, Greene called up Capers and told him he wanted to interview for the OLB coaching position. Capers called McCarthy, and McCarthy agreed to bring him in for the interview. While I'm sure Capers had input, and probably pushed for the hiring of Greene, it still would have been McCarthy's call.

Fritz
01-04-2011, 09:39 PM
I think that Campen has sunk to the bottom of the coaches-we-love-to-hate list, now that the ST played well Sunday. But let's see if Slocum can keep them going good in the playoffs.

pbmax
01-04-2011, 09:56 PM
I think that Campen has sunk to the bottom of the coaches-we-love-to-hate list, now that the ST played well Sunday. But let's see if Slocum can keep them going good in the playoffs.

Don't you just get an ominous feeling that both Slocum and Jarret Bush cannot have the same good ST game or some terrible event will happen? Probably not as bad as the apocalypse, but more like an ice storm that cuts power to half the state.