PDA

View Full Version : NFC North player rankings

Patler
01-04-2011, 03:12 AM
Bob McGinn did his annual poll of personnel executives from each of NFC North Division teams. They ranked the top three players in the division at each position, but could not vote for their own players. (3-2-1 points assigned for 1st, 2nd, 3rd.) This was before this past weekend.

Interesting results for GB receivers:
#1 WR - Greg Jennings tied Calvin Johnson for 1st. with 8 points.
#2 WR - Donald Driver tied Devin Hester for 1st. with 8 points.
#3 WR - James Jones unanimous for 1st.
#4 WR - Jordy Nelson unanimous for 1st.

Other Unanimous for 1st – Rodgers, Sitton, Raji, Mathews, Woodson, Williams.

Other 1st., not unanimous – Collins, Shields (#3 CB), Bigby (#3 Safety).

2nd place – Clifton, Wells, Bulaga (tied), Quinn Johnson (tied), Flynn (#2 QB), Jenkins (tied), Hawk, Peprah, Walden (#4 LB), Masthay (tied).

3rd place – Colledge, Bishop.

4th place – Quarless, Jackson, Crabtree (for #2 TE), Lang (for utility O-line), Kuhn (#2 RB), Pickett, Zombo, Green (#3 DE), Wilson (#3 DT), Wynn (utility DL), Crosby, Williams as punt returner, Shields as a kick returner.

vince
01-04-2011, 05:12 AM
The DE rankings (Jenkins, Pickett, Green) don't reflect the differences in roles and responsibilities between the 4-3, which everyone else in the division plays, and the 3-4 that Green Bay plays. Green Bay's guys should be compared to 4-3 DT's.

I also think Tramon is a better punt returner than Camarillo from what I've seen but the Bears and Lions have 2 of the elite returners in the league if I'm not mistaken.

I also question Flynn's ranking. I guess since Stafford didn't go on IR I don't think, he is being compared to the guy who got a lot of play this year. I think I'd put Flynn above all the back-ups myself, certainly above T-Jack and whatever joker the Bears have.

The Packers have 13 firsts, 10 seconds, 2 thirds, and 13 fourths. Given the fact taht there are a dozen or so guys on IR who should be listed higher than their replacements are here, I'd say that's pretty strong and supports just how deep this team is.

I'd like to see a ranking from these NFL exec's of coaches too.

Gunakor
01-04-2011, 06:04 AM
I'm not surprised at the WR rankings. I've been contending for several years now that we have the strongest and deepest WR corps not only in the division, but in the entire league. Though, to be fair to our guys, I think Jordy Nelson has jumped James Jones on the depth chart. Granted that wouldn't change the rankings IMO anyway.

I'm not surprised at the CB rankings either, but only because it's NFC North personnel guys voting rather than fans. As good as Shields has played this season I doubt anybody outside of Packer Nation really knows who he is yet. I'm glad to see he's at least earned a real respect from our opponents.

Here's what I found surprising. Chad Clifton has had an up and down year but there's really no elite standout at LT in our division. Maybe he's not unanimous in being selected the best the divison has to offer, I could understand that, but who's that much better in our division that nobody voted for Cliffy as #1? I mean, the fans nationwide voted Cliffy the #1 LT in the entire conference.

The front 7 on defense is impossible to rank from a schematic perspective. How many DL do you elect to our All-Divisional team? How many LB's? The reason I would ask is because Chicago plays a 4-3 with the best 4-3 MLB and the best 4-3 OLB in the North (Urlacher and Briggs). Green Bay plays a 3-4 with the best 3-4 ILB and the best 3-4 OLB (Hawk and Matthews). I'm guessing Matthews, Urlacher and Briggs were all unanimous top vote getters with Hawk a unanimous #2 vote getter at MLB, figuring a 4-3 alignment for the All-Divisional team. But if you're ranking the top players at each position, how would you rank them while acknowledging that not every team in the NFC North plays the same alignment? Tough comparison IMO.

RashanGary
01-04-2011, 07:23 AM
Don't ask NFL personel people. Ask skinbasket of Packerrats. He knows it all.

red
01-04-2011, 10:18 AM
i'm shocked that raji beat out suh at DT

i love raji and think he is and will continue to be a great player, but suh is a rookie and already looks like an elite player

Smidgeon
01-04-2011, 10:37 AM
i'm shocked that raji beat out suh at DT

i love raji and think he is and will continue to be a great player, but suh is a rookie and already looks like an elite player

I don't think Raji beat out Suh. Raji was the best nose tackle and Suh the best three technique...if I remember correctly.

What I found interesting is that Quinn Johnson was considered a better FB than Korey Hall...

mraynrand
01-04-2011, 11:36 AM
Walden was picked #1 for "Quickie Mart Employee turned Pass Rusher"

red
01-04-2011, 01:02 PM
I don't think Raji beat out Suh. Raji was the best nose tackle and Suh the best three technique...if I remember correctly.

that makes a lot more sense

Patler
01-04-2011, 01:16 PM

What I found interesting is that Quinn Johnson was considered a better FB than Korey Hall...

You are correct about Raji and Suh. Both voted #1 at different positions.

I think Quinn Johnson has started to come on the last half of the season. He is playing a lot more, and playing well. Sunday they replayed one play in which he completely neutralized Urlacher. Stopped him dead in his tracks, completely out of the play.

Johnson is a very big, very physical guy; and I think their patience with his development is starting to pay off. He is now playing on special teams and showing up every now and then. Hall seems to miss 4 or 5 games every year with injuries. With Kuhn's versatility, I expect Hall may be the odd man out next year.

red
01-04-2011, 01:33 PM
You are correct about Raji and Suh. Both voted #1 at different positions.

I think Quinn Johnson has started to come on the last half of the season. He is playing a lot more, and playing well. Sunday they replayed one play in which he completely neutralized Urlacher. Stopped him dead in his tracks, completely out of the play.

Johnson is a very big, very physical guy; and I think their patience with his development is starting to pay off. He is now playing on special teams and showing up every now and then. Hall seems to miss 4 or 5 games every year with injuries. With Kuhn's versatility, I expect Hall may be the odd man out next year.

its really shocking to see quinn up close and personal. the guy is friggen huge.

and it doesn't look like he has a lot of fat

i wouldn't doubt he's a bout the same size as wells

HarveyWallbangers
01-04-2011, 01:34 PM
They may carry all three again. The way the coaches talk about Hall it sounds like he might be their best special teams player, and they feel like they really miss him.

Fritz
01-04-2011, 01:37 PM
Glad to hear that Johnson is playing better. I wonder if their run game will benefit? For short yardage, how about him at fullback and Kuhn at halfback?

I don't quite understand Pickett's low ranking. Has he been that not-good?

Patler
01-04-2011, 01:41 PM
They may carry all three again. The way the coaches talk about Hall it sounds like he might be their best special teams player, and they feel like they really miss him.

It's certainly possible, especially since it is now likely that rosters will expand yet again if an 18 game schedule is agreed to.

Fritz
01-04-2011, 01:42 PM
And maybe they can keep five tight ends next year!

hoosier
01-04-2011, 07:03 PM
I don't quite understand Pickett's low ranking. Has he been that not-good?

They were comparing him to LDE's in the 4-3, which as a position demands a different skill set altogether. Pickett's lack of pass rush, combined with his chronic injuries this season, caused him to look shabby in comparison to Avril, Ray Edwards and Idonije. Apples to oranges.

MichiganPackerFan
01-05-2011, 08:53 AM

I thought he had played a LOT better recently. THere was a play early in the game on sunday where he just dropped the hammer on Urlacher. It was great.

And maybe they can keep five tight ends next year!

Mike Sherman was SO ahead of his time in keeping two punters. Ahhhh BJ Sander....

mraynrand
01-05-2011, 08:58 AM
Mike Sherman was SO ahead of his time in keeping two punters. Ahhhh BJ Sander....

Don't be so critical! Golfers don't play with just one club do they? Having multiple kickers is like having different clubs in your bag - Although Sanders was kinda like that 'sentimental' club that you keep cause you fondly recall wrapping it around a tree after a huge miss.

Little Whiskey
01-05-2011, 09:01 AM

Don't be so critical! Golfers don't play with just one club do they? Having multiple kickers is like having different clubs in your bag - Although Sanders was kinda like that 'sentimental' club that you keep cause you fondly recall wrapping it around a tree after a huge miss.

they never sacrifice a driver for a 4 wood.

MichiganPackerFan
01-05-2011, 09:25 AM
they never sacrifice a driver for a 4 wood.

Nicely played!