PDA

View Full Version : Playoff QB Rankings

AtlPackFan
01-05-2011, 02:34 PM
7th?! Brady, Roethlisberger, Manning, Brees, Vick, Ryan and then Aaron. Of course, its only one writers opinion. What you all think?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AmQN_gPRoBYu2lbi9s53iDZDubYF?slug=jc-playoffqbratings010411

7. Aaron Rodgers(notes), Green Bay Packers – Rodgers posted his second straight season with a rating of better than 100 as he continues to make people forget about Brett Favre(notes). In fact, Rodgers has better ratings than Favre ever did with the Packers. That said, Rodgers better deliver in the postseason. He has a great chance in the playoff opener at Philadelphia. Then again, the Packers need to do a better job of protection, specifically by getting him a better running game. That’s not going to happen right now, but it better be high on the offseason priority list. Otherwise, those two concussions Rodgers suffered this season are going to multiply in a hurry.

denverYooper
01-05-2011, 03:03 PM
The top 4 guys all have rings, so there's that (but I still think Roethlisburger is very overrated). Rodgers has to establish himself in the playoffs and he'll move up. Personally, I'd take him + the Patriots O-line over anyone, Brady included :).

I also think that Ryan has the benefit of having Michael Turner and Mugheli in that backfield. He looks just ok when they lack a run game, and IMHO can't take over a game like Rodgers can. He hasn't won a playoff game yet, either, and lost to the same team in the first round of the 2008 playoffs that Rodgers lost to in the first round of 2010.

Vick is sort of a wildcard. The guy can blow a game open by himself sometimes but he's had a tough time against better defenses. His lack of ability to read a defense, in particular, is a known issue. He's fast and has a strong arm but he can be baited into mistakes a lot more easily than most.

denverYooper
01-05-2011, 03:09 PM
Plus, I thought it was funny that he dinged the Packers' protection unit but not the Eagles'. Philly has given up 50 sacks to GB's 38.

Scott Campbell
01-05-2011, 03:18 PM
That said, Rodgers better deliver in the postseason.

What? As opposed to his last postseason?

28/42 for 423 yards 4 TD's 1 INT and a 121.3 QB rating.

HarveyWallbangers
01-05-2011, 03:20 PM
I'd take Rodgers over Ryan. I think Rodgers underrated compared to Ryan. I can't really even argue with the rest--even Vick. After this weekend, hopefully I'll move ARod above Vick.

HarveyWallbangers
01-05-2011, 03:22 PM
Another man's QB rankings. Not just playoff QBs though.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=5972554

1. Tom Brady, New England Patriots

Analysis: Brady's remarkable season included an in-season change from a big-play offense that featured Randy Moss to a move-the-chains approach with high-percentage passes. He should be voted the league's MVP, a reason I am moving him ahead of reigning MVP Peyton Manning in my rankings. Brady's TD pass-to-interception ratio of 9-to-1 is remarkable.
Arrow is pointing: Up

2. Peyton Manning, Indianapolis Colts

Analysis: Manning hasn't lost anything from his game, just weapons. At times operating with neither a running game nor an inside passing game, Manning had a tough month in which he forced too many passes, resulting in interceptions in bunches. But he showed he still has it in carrying the Colts into the playoffs.
Arrow is pointing: Flat

3. Drew Brees, New Orleans Saints

Analysis: The strange part of this season was his high interceptions total (22, second most in league). Brees is normally a cool customer who makes few mistakes, but teams dropped more defenders into coverage to make it tougher for him to throw deep.

4. Ben Roethlisberger, Pittsburgh Steelers

Analysis: Roethlisberger grew up as a person after starting the season with a four-game suspension and remained every bit as good as a quarterback. The only knock is his tendency to have low-scoring games against top defenses.

5. Aaron Rodgers, Green Bay Packers

Analysis: Unable and unwilling to slide, Rodgers will never earn elite baseball status. His inability to slide resulted in a worry about concussions, but his ability to throw and run gives opponents headaches.

6. Philip Rivers, San Diego Chargers

Analysis: Rivers had his best season even though he was missing many of his top offensive weapons. He's a leader who is willing to make tough throws at tough times no matter how tight the coverage.

7. Matt Ryan, Atlanta Falcons

Analysis: In his third season, Ryan evolved into a Super Bowl-caliber quarterback. His extra work in the offseason studying other elite quarterbacks paid off.

8. Michael Vick, Philadelphia Eagles

Analysis: Vick revamped his game by becoming every bit as dangerous throwing from the pocket as he was running out of it. He was the story of the year in the NFL.

mraynrand
01-05-2011, 03:24 PM
What? As opposed to his last postseason?

28/42 for 423 yards 4 TD's 1 INT and a 121.3 QB rating.

We've covered this ground, but Rodgers also opened the AZ game with an interception, he dropped that catch to Driver, overthrew the game winning TD, and singlehandedly lost them the game on the final turnover. QB ratings hide that stuff.

HarveyWallbangers
01-05-2011, 03:33 PM
On top of those stats, the Packers offense scored 45 points.

woodbuck27
01-05-2011, 03:40 PM
7th?! Brady, Roethlisberger, Manning, Brees, Vick, Ryan and then Aaron. Of course, its only one writers opinion. What you all think?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AmQN_gPRoBYu2lbi9s53iDZDubYF?slug=jc-playoffqbratings010411

7. Aaron Rodgers(notes), Green Bay Packers – Rodgers posted his second straight season with a rating of better than 100 as he continues to make people forget about Brett Favre(notes). In fact, Rodgers has better ratings than Favre ever did with the Packers. That said, Rodgers better deliver in the postseason. He has a great chance in the playoff opener at Philadelphia. Then again, the Packers need to do a better job of protection, specifically by getting him a better running game. That’s not going to happen right now, but it better be high on the offseason priority list. Otherwise, those two concussions Rodgers suffered this season are going to multiply in a hurry.

I agree with all of the above.

I found this NFL Playoff QB ranking submission fr. bleacher report and Originally fr. ESPN NFL:

LINK : http://bleacherreport.com/tb/b7RA3

Your asked to rank 13 QB's (two fr. Seattle included) in a list for the 12 teams in the playoffs.

My RANKINGS :

1.Tom Brady
2.Drew Brees
3.Peyton Manning
4.Aaron Rodgers
5.B. Roethlisberger
6.Matt Ryan
7.Michael Vick
8.Joe Flacco
9.Matt Hasselbeck
10.Mark Sanchez
11.Jay Cutler
12.Matt Cassel
13.Charlie Whitehurst

GO PACK GO !

HarveyWallbangers
01-05-2011, 03:47 PM
In 13 of Tom Brady's 14 playoff victories, the Patriots defense has allowed 21 or fewer points. (They allowed 29 in their victory over Carolina.) In Aaron Rodgers only postseason start, his defense allowed 45 points. The Pats have never scored 45 points in a postseason game with Tom Brady at the helm.

I know Rodgers made a few errors in that game, but he played epic football for most of that game. It's not like he played pretty well but made a couple of mistakes. He played OUT OF HIS MIND. The Packers scored touchdowns on six consecutive drives in the middle of the game. Think about that. Six consecutive touchdown drives! That's absurd.

woodbuck27
01-05-2011, 04:19 PM
In 13 of Tom Brady's 14 playoff victories, the Patriots defense has allowed 21 or fewer points. (They allowed 29 in their victory over Carolina.) In Aaron Rodgers only postseason start, his defense allowed 45 points. The Pats have never scored 45 points in a postseason game with Tom Brady at the helm.

I know Rodgers made a few errors in that game, but he played epic football for most of that game. It's not like he played pretty well but made a couple of mistakes. He played OUT OF HIS MIND. The Packers scored touchdowns on six consecutive drives in the middle of the game. Think about that. Six consecutive touchdown drives! That's absurd.

"That's absurd" HarveyWallbangers

? mmmm

That's really good.

AtlPackFan
01-06-2011, 07:36 AM
I'm not sold on Vick. He has had a highlight reel run this year and he is certainly a better QB than he was here in ATL but IMHO, he isn't a better QB than Rodgers. I also agree with Denver that Ryan has the benefit of a very good running game. I would put Ryan and Rodgers about even.

Obviously, a very pointless debate as these type of rankings are a matter of personal opinion and stats can be twisted to support a person's beliefs. Still, it is fun. :-)

hoosier
01-06-2011, 08:12 AM
I agree with all of the above.

I found this NFL Playoff QB ranking submission fr. bleacher report and Originally fr. ESPN NFL:

LINK : http://bleacherreport.com/tb/b7RA3

Your asked to rank 13 QB's (two fr. Seattle included) in a list for the 12 teams in the playoffs.

My RANKINGS :

1.Tom Brady
2.Drew Brees
3.Peyton Manning
4.Aaron Rodgers
5.B. Roethlisberger
6.Matt Ryan
7.Michael Vick
8.Joe Flacco
9.Matt Hasselbeck
10.Mark Sanchez
11.Jay Cutler
12.Matt Cassel
13.Charlie Whitehurst

GO PACK GO !

Charlie Whitehurst???!!!??

Guiness
01-06-2011, 09:41 AM

It's a ranking of playoff QB's...certainly there are other QB's ranked above him (Phillip Rivers, anyone) but THEY aren't in the playoffs.

bobblehead
01-06-2011, 10:19 AM

But he doesn't inspire greatness in those around him like a certain future HOF QB. If he were more like that guy the D would have stepped up for him and we would have won.

Seriously though, I put Rodgers 5 on that list and 6 in the entire NFL (rivers). I also find it no fluke that all the best QB's in the NFL are in the playoffs except rivers.

hoosier
01-06-2011, 10:33 AM
It's a ranking of playoff QB's...certainly there are other QB's ranked above him (Phillip Rivers, anyone) but THEY aren't in the playoffs.

Oops, I guess I didn't read the fine print very carefully.

denverYooper
01-06-2011, 10:48 AM
Seriously though, I put Rodgers 5 on that list and 6 in the entire NFL (rivers). I also find it no fluke that all the best QB's in the NFL are in the playoffs except rivers.

Mostly agree. It's a tough call between Rodgers and Rivers mainly b/c Rivers numbers are better (this year) but I feel like Rodgers is the more solid leader.

HarveyWallbangers
01-06-2011, 10:55 AM
Rivers numbers aren't better this year. He has more passing yards because he stayed healthy and threw the ball more, but their numbers are practically identical. I like Rodgers over Rivers. Pretty equal throwing the ball, but Rodgers has mobility.

HarveyWallbangers
01-06-2011, 11:01 AM
Rivers = 101.8 passer rating, 66 comp %, 8.7 yards/pass, 30 TDs (1 every 18 attempts), 13 interceptions (1 every 42 attempts)
Rodgers = 101.2 passer rating, 66 comp %, 8.3 yards/pass, 28 TDs (1 every 17 attempts), 11 interceptions (1 every 43 atempts)

Rivers has slight edge in completion percentage and yards/pass (both in top 5 for both categories).
Rodgers has slight edge in TD rate and interception rate (TD/interception rate also).

Now, throw in the other numbers:

Rivers = 52 rushing yards, 0 rushing TDs, 38 sacks, 7 fumbles (4 lost)
Rodgers = 356 rushing yards, 4 rushing TDs, 31 sacks, 4 fumbles (1 lost)

You could easily argue that Rodgers has the better overall numbers. :)

woodbuck27
01-06-2011, 11:14 AM

Yup.

Charlie Whitehurst played very well backing up Matt Hasselbeck in the Seahawks final season victory over the St Louis Rams to secure the NFC West title, last Sunday evening - that game was on 'the tube'. An impressive performance. Whitehurst appeared a tad light of frame to me in his interview following that game. He's listed on the poll as Hasselbeck may be questionable Vs the Saints.

GO! PACK GO !!

RashanGary
01-06-2011, 11:23 AM
Brady, Brees, Manning, Rothlisberger, Rodgers, Rivers, Vick, Ryan

Splitting hairs. Once you're a great QB, you're a great QB. Numbers here, results there, clutchness here, leadership there. . . . I've never coached them, never watched a full season of any of them play. . . . .

The Packers have a great QB. They're in the playoffs. That's about as far as I take this stuff. I love our chances, in large part because of AR's HOF passing talent. He is one of the most amazing passers, I think, in NFL history and maybe the best in the game today, just throwing. There is more to QB than throwing and running, but Rodgers is tops when it comes to talent and skill. He has to put it all together, avoid the bad slumps and get some clutch wins, but he's an amazing talent, no doubt.

vince
01-06-2011, 12:38 PM
Brady, Brees, Manning, Rothlisberger, Rodgers, Rivers, Vick, Ryan

Splitting hairs. Once you're a great QB, you're a great QB. Numbers here, results there, clutchness here, leadership there. . . . I've never coached them, never watched a full season of any of them play. . . . .

The Packers have a great QB. They're in the playoffs. That's about as far as I take this stuff. I love our chances, in large part because of AR's HOF passing talent. He is one of the most amazing passers, I think, in NFL history and maybe the best in the game today, just throwing. There is more to QB than throwing and running, but Rodgers is tops when it comes to talent and skill. He has to put it all together, avoid the bad slumps and get some clutch wins, but he's an amazing talent, no doubt.
+1, except for the "clutch wins" focus. The team, and Rodgers, are growing together toward "clutch wins." The D and ST has let the team down far more often than Rodgers has.

mraynrand
01-06-2011, 12:57 PM

It was an awesome display. He certainly played well enough to win it. Can't forget that QBs don't play defense. That stat about the Pats is impressive.

But one question has to linger over Rodgers until he wins playoff games - can he do it? Are the two mistakes he made in AZ just mistakes and bad fortune, or will they be part of his playoff repertoire? And, will it not matter if he has a mistake or two in the future if the defense gives up less than 21 points and Rodgers does enough to win? It's such a team game, as the old adage goes - QBs get too much credit for wins and absorb too much blame for losses.

My view is that the Packers are extremely fortunate to have one of the best (top 5) QBs in the league guiding them in the playoffs.

mraynrand
01-06-2011, 12:58 PM
Oops, I guess I didn't read the fine print very carefully.

I told my parole officer the same thing

HarveyWallbangers
01-06-2011, 11:48 PM
We're supposed to believe that Rodgers might not have what it takes to win playoff games, but guys like Joe Flacco and Matt Ryan are winners. We base it off this:

Rodgers is 0-1 in the playoffs. His offense scored 45 points in that game. He had 5 TDs, 1 interception, and 1 fumble. His defense gave up 45 points.

Flacco is 3-2 in the playoffs. His offense has scored no more than 33 points. He has 1 TD and 6 interceptions in those 5 games. His defense gave up 9, 10, and 14 points in his three wins.

"Matty Ice" is 0-1 in the playoffs, and he didn't even play well in that game. His team lost 30-24 vs. Arizona at home. He threw for just 199 yards on 40 attempts and added 2 interceptions.

denverYooper
01-07-2011, 11:44 AM
Brady specifically mentioned Rodgers to Bill Simmons when discussing quarterbacks in Sports Guy's column this week (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmonsnfl2010/week18picks&sportCat=nfl):

we all kinda look around and admire the other guys because you realize how much of a challenge [playing quarterback] is. I look at Peyton and think, 'Man, I wish I could do the things he does.' I look at Drew Brees, same thing. Or Aaron Rodgers.

While Brady is talking about the quarterback fraternity as a whole in the conversation, I found it notable that he mentioned Rodgers along with Manning and Brees as guys with skill sets he admires.

Tony Oday
01-07-2011, 12:35 PM
Rivers = 101.8 passer rating, 66 comp %, 8.7 yards/pass, 30 TDs (1 every 18 attempts), 13 interceptions (1 every 42 attempts)
Rodgers = 101.2 passer rating, 66 comp %, 8.3 yards/pass, 28 TDs (1 every 17 attempts), 11 interceptions (1 every 43 atempts)

Rivers has slight edge in completion percentage and yards/pass (both in top 5 for both categories).
Rodgers has slight edge in TD rate and interception rate (TD/interception rate also).

Now, throw in the other numbers:

Rivers = 52 rushing yards, 0 rushing TDs, 38 sacks, 7 fumbles (4 lost)
Rodgers = 356 rushing yards, 4 rushing TDs, 31 sacks, 4 fumbles (1 lost)

You could easily argue that Rodgers has the better overall numbers. :)

AR should have 2 more TDs if JJ didnt get the dropsies on big plays!

Joemailman
01-07-2011, 12:38 PM
AR should have 2 more TDs if JJ didnt get the dropsies on big plays!

A bit off topic here, but Greg Jennings has probably dropped more potential TD passes than JJ.

HarveyWallbangers
01-07-2011, 12:46 PM
I remember both dropping two potential long TDs each.